Android app for this forum?

Discussions about the forum and contents
FinanceGeek

Android app for this forum?

Post by FinanceGeek » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm fond of the one that early-retirement.org has, anything similar here? Or is an RSS reader my best choice?

BTW mods, nice job upgrading the forum software!

sommerfeld

Re: Android app for this forum?

Post by sommerfeld » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:57 pm

a quick search turned up:

http://www.tapatalk.com/ (requires forum admins to install a plugin)
http://androidforums.com/android-applic ... lient.html mentiones tapatalk and an app called bbfoc;

I tried bbfoc on my Nexus S, and it seems to find posts just fine. Point it at http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/ rather than http://www.bogleheads.org
Unfortunately, bbfoc crashed on a Motorola Xoom tablet running android 3.2.1

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:36 pm

I just installed BBfoc on my Samsung Galaxy Gio. It displays threads on BH but I don't see how to reply to a post. And it crashes when I try to open a thread on FWF. From what I can see it's a work in progress, at best.

patelbhavesh

Post by patelbhavesh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:40 pm

any new apps to use to see these forums and reply etc ?

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:28 am

I just browse the forum in full internet mode using my droid x2, when im not at a pc.
You haveto play with it abit to resize for easy scrolling.
I mostly just read bh on my droid since posting, as im doing now, is painful...
Attempted new signature...

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 am

Before one thinks about a mobile app version, one should think about a nice mobile website version.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 am

natureexplorer wrote:Before one thinks about a mobile app version, one should think about a nice mobile website version.
:D :D

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... 5ndWFyZCJd
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 am

The Wizard wrote:I just browse the forum in full internet mode using my droid x2, when im not at a pc.
You haveto play with it abit to resize for easy scrolling.
That's what I do, and once I learned the trick of double-tapping the screen to automagically optimize the screen for reading the feeds I've been very happy. The double-tapping reformats most web sites that have articles and "other junk" into a format where the articles fill the screen and the other junk is shunted off to the side.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:50 pm

The RSS feed has been up and running since mid December, so any RSS reader will work. Look for the RSS icon at the top right of the home page. I use Pulse Reader.

Tapatalk has been discussed before (see Tapatalk Integration), but I'd stay away for a number of reasons - all of which are in their support forum - the first place to go when you want to check out a product.

- From the phpBB side of the fence, there's no confidence that this is a rock-solid product. In phpBB Discussion - Tapatalk Support, I see multiple complaints about PM problems and other things that I'm not happy about.

- From the Android side (Tapatalk for Android - Tapatalk Support), this app eats 15% CPU horsepower -that's a lot of juice. I also see problems with BBCode: CODE and STRIKE are not supported - that's unacceptable (Doesn't render all BB tags and smileys - Tapatalk Support).

IMHO, the best approach is to avoid proprietary apps that don't have widespread phpBB community support (there is no guarantee that tapatalk will work with phpBB mods, which is another sign that it's not fully compatible). Wait until Alex decides what to do. Sitck with a standard web browser for now, such as Dolphin.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 pm

LadyGeek wrote:The RSS feed has been up and running since mid December, so any RSS reader will work. Look for the RSS icon at the top right of the home page. I use Pulse Reader.
How can you post to posts using an RSS reader? Posting is the main challenge with the current website, not reading posts.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 pm

RSS readers server an entirely different purpose. It's a convenient way to view the lastest news and blogs. There's no capability to "write" with RSS reader apps. You need to be logged in, which means using the web browser.

One possible drawback with the RSS readers is that they refresh on a fixed time schedule, e.g. every 6 hours. For a slowly updating blog, that's OK. For a forum that gets new posts ever few minutes, you'll need to do a manual refresh whenever you want to look at the site.

Understood, the phpBB skin ("style" in phpBB terms) is not amenable to mobile devices. Only Alex can answer that question, of which I don't have any information.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm

So in other words, RSS is not a solution for what people are asking for here.

There are plenty of forums out there that render just fine on mobile devices without any apps. I'd be surprised if the forum software behind this forum doesn't already offer a mobile solution. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:26 pm

natureexplorer wrote:So in other words, RSS is not a solution for what people are asking for here.

There are plenty of forums out there that render just fine on mobile devices without any apps. I'd be surprised if the forum software behind this forum doesn't already offer a mobile solution. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.
I'm able to browse the forum and make posts using just my Acer500 Tablet's Android browser. Nothing additional needed.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 pm

natureexplorer wrote:So in other words, RSS is not a solution for what people are asking for here.

Correct, RSS will not solve the forum layout, which is not designed for mobile devices.

I know what you are referring to. phpBB offers styles which are designed for iPhone and Android (including automatically switching the style when a mobile is detected). Style installation and maintaintenance is not trivial, we still need to wait for Alex's decision.

magellan

Post by magellan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:I'm able to browse the forum and make posts using just my Acer500 Tablet's Android browser. Nothing additional needed.
+1 with my Toshiba thrive, which I'm using now. My guess is that the need for an app is more display size related than anything else.

Personally, I find reading a lot of text very tiresome on my phone. OK for short stuff with RSS, but even when it's optimized with an app, it's a tough slog to read longer passages. Maybe I'm just too old :-)

Jim

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:55 am

magellan wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:I'm able to browse the forum and make posts using just my Acer500 Tablet's Android browser. Nothing additional needed.
+1 with my Toshiba thrive, which I'm using now. My guess is that the need for an app is more display size related than anything else.

Personally, I find reading a lot of text very tiresome on my phone. OK for short stuff with RSS, but even when it's optimized with an app, it's a tough slog to read longer passages. Maybe I'm just too old :-)

Jim
Composing on an Android phone is klunky, but I find reading very easy using the phone's default browser and double tapping to make the posts optimized for the screen.