Charts that report 'total return'

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
fx24

Charts that report 'total return'

Post by fx24 »

How do you get a chart comparing the performance of holdings where reinvestments are presumed... in other words comparing 'total return' ? The problem I see is that most stock charts (yahoo, google, msn, etc) only track NAV-based performance.... which is very misleading for high-income holdings where reinvestment is occurring. So, if you want to compare the 3 such holdings (such as BND vs. AGG vs. LSBDX) to see comparitive performance over a specific time period.... how do you chart the 'total return' difference? :confused

PS: I did find a newer website, ycharts.com, that very nicely provides 'total return' charts for stocks and etf's... but not for mutual funds.
Last edited by fx24 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
fx24

Re: Charts that report 'total return'

Post by fx24 »

For example, a 5yr chart of VG total bond (BND) and Barclays total bond (AGG) shows a gain just above 10%.
This is very misleading, the gain is around 34%. Thats the problem.
PB

Post by PB »

I'm still learning, but one site that might serve you is Bloomberg.

- Click on the link below, which takes you to LSBDX

First, under Performance they give you total YTD growth, including dividends. For LSBDX, the 3.45% includes dividends (if there are any YTD). Bloomberg is very useful in this regard.

For the comparison chart:

- Click on the Interactive Chart link

- Click on the 'YTD' tab, and then:

- Add a comparison, like BND.

When you do the comparison, the chart changes from price to total growth percentage -- you'll see LSBDX's 3.45% YTD growth, while BND is essentially flat for the year:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=LSBDX
PB

Post by PB »

Go ahead and use Bloomberg to compare BND and AGG for the 5 year period. Think it will chart what you're looking for.
Topic Author
fx24

Post by fx24 »

Bloomberg's chart is primative. Very cool is a chart like this showing a single securities growth spread (NAV vs. Total Return). You can really visualize the importance of income. Made this on ycharts but, again unfortunately, it does not chart mutual funds.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

morningstar.com
Last edited by Kevin M on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
Bounca

Post by Bounca »

Doesn't percharts include total return? http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.html
strafe

Post by strafe »

As others have said, go to Morningstar. Look for the "Growth of 10k" chart.
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

fx24 wrote:How do you get a chart comparing the performance of holdings where reinvestments are presumed... in other words comparing 'total return' ? The problem I see is that most stock charts (yahoo, google, msn, etc) only track NAV-based performance.... which is very misleading for high-income holdings where reinvestment is occurring. So, if you want to compare the 3 such holdings (such as BND vs. AGG vs. LSBDX) to see comparitive performance over a specific time period.... how do you chart the 'total return' difference? :confused

PS: I did find a newer website, ycharts.com, that very nicely provides 'total return' charts for stocks and etf's... but not for mutual funds.
At morningstar, the $10,000 growth chart includes reinvestments to show total return.
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
stratton

Post by stratton »

The one gotcha with Morningstar is you have to be careful with ETFS. If you start with an ETF you get NAV. If you start with an actual mutual fund and add an ETF to the chart the ETF will have total return.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Angst

Post by Angst »

stratton wrote:The one gotcha with Morningstar is you have to be careful with ETFS. If you start with an ETF you get NAV. If you start with an actual mutual fund and add an ETF to the chart the ETF will have total return.

Paul
M* is quirky; I might say "buggy". If you try to go change the date range the chart can spontaneously revert from growth to price. And using the pull-down Growth-Price selector doesn't always work. It can be frustrating to play with.