cut the land line with magicjack plus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
leonidas

cut the land line with magicjack plus

Post by leonidas »

I was wondering if anyone has setup magicjack plus or called someone using it and determined that it was a suitable replacement for their land line. I was reading that the plus fixes some of the annoying things of the original mjack such as better sound, no pc hookup needed and ability to port your number.
Thanks.
Tom_T

Re: cut the land line with magicjack plus

Post by Tom_T »

There are a lot of very bad reviews on the Web. I'd think twice about switching.

There is actually a convoluted way to port your landline number to Google Voice, if you are interested. You can Google the step-by-step instructions.
chaz

Post by chaz »

We are keeping our land line.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Google Voice keeps extending their free service each year. So now its free for 2012 but I think you can't rely on it since Google is evaluating all its free services.
+ you need computer for Google Voice access.

You can try Magicjack plus or Ooma. Both have one time cost. Magicjack plus has yearly as well.

I am using Magicjack (not the plus version) without issues
ThinkingRunner

Post by ThinkingRunner »

leonidas wrote:I was wondering if anyone has setup magicjack plus or called someone using it and determined that it was a suitable replacement for their land line. I was reading that the plus fixes some of the annoying things of the original mjack such as better sound, no pc hookup needed and ability to port your number.
Thanks.
I'd get Obihai's Obi100/110 voice bridges. That allows you to try a bunch of VOIP services (voip.ms, callcentric, the currently free google voice, etc.) all without having your computer on. I've had Ooma as well for the past 2.5 years and haven't had any trouble with it (I got in during the tax-free days). But the one-time cost of Ooma is 5x that of the Obi adapter, and you can get good VOIP service for the $4/month taxes Ooma is now charging.
LAbob

Post by LAbob »

ThinkingRunner wrote:I'd get Obihai's Obi100/110 voice bridges.
What confuses me is that you still need the land line, don't you? Otherwise, what do you hook your router up to? The landline is virtually the cost of the telco's phone service, isn't it? If so, why not just have the minimal phone service?
specabecca

Post by specabecca »

So, ah, the literalist in me was hoping for some thoughts on the 'cutting the land line' process. How does one accomplish this? I have a seriously droopy telephone cable running to my house that I'd like dispensed with (inop for 7 years), but wonder who I even call to get that service completed. A handyman? The local land line provider? (which I'd have to research)
ThinkingRunner

Post by ThinkingRunner »

LAbob wrote:
What confuses me is that you still need the land line, don't you? Otherwise, what do you hook your router up to? The landline is virtually the cost of the telco's phone service, isn't it? If so, why not just have the minimal phone service?
No, you don't need a landline connection from the phone company. Just plug in the Obi100 adapter to your wi-fi router, configure it online with your favorite VOIP service using the Obitalk website, and you're good to go. *IF* you already have (and intend to keep) an existing landline connection, the Obi110 model can bridge VOIP calls to the PSTN line (i.e. people calling your VOIP number or Obi device number directly can dial out via your PSTN connection).
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAbob

Post by LAbob »

ThinkingRunner wrote:No, you don't need a landline connection from the phone company. Just plug in the Obi100 adapter to your wi-fi router, configure it online with your favorite VOIP service using the Obitalk website, and you're good to go.
But the router plugs into the wall jack which, in turn, couples to a line that goes to a telephone pole and, from there, to the telco switching network where it gets sent to the VOIP system. The telco charges for that line to/from the telephone pole, no? What am I missing?
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

LAbob wrote:
ThinkingRunner wrote:No, you don't need a landline connection from the phone company. Just plug in the Obi100 adapter to your wi-fi router, configure it online with your favorite VOIP service using the Obitalk website, and you're good to go.
But the router plugs into the wall jack which, in turn, couples to a line that goes to a telephone pole and, from there, to the telco switching network where it gets sent to the VOIP system. The telco charges for that line to/from the telephone pole, no? What am I missing?
If it is a telco provided internet line, it is likely DSL and being paid for separately from the voice service. But it could also be a cable-based internet service riding in on the cable TV line which doesn't require anything coming in from the telco.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
wander

Post by wander »

ejvyas wrote:You can try Magicjack plus or Ooma. Both have one time cost. Magicjack plus has yearly as well.
A friend of mine has Ooma and it works well. There is one issue: it cuts off the call if talking period is too long. For me, it makes sense as mouth must rest. :D
Toons

Post by Toons »

Since google is extending their "free"phone service I would give that a try for a year.I dropped magicjack a couple years ago and started using google phone,No regrets and no hardware to carry around , and it is available on all my computers.Ive always left one of my computers on 24/7 and have for years so that is no big deal
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Uh, does anyone actually have a MajicJack Plus up and running?

I used the usual MJ (has to be connected to a running computer) for a couple of years and was reasonably happy. Not a big yacker. When they offered the Plus I jumped, but can't get the !%*?>!!#* thing to work. The hookup is simple. They give you an AC plug with a USB connector at the other end. Plug the MJ Plus into that. Attach an ethernet cable (the one they give you is probably going to be too short) and the phone connector into the other end of the MJ. Plug the other end of the ethernet cable into an available port on the router. Not exactly an engineering degree problem.

But the <!*&%$^T$#?> thing didn't work and after wasting a couple of hours chatting with three different names I hung up when the idiot wanted me to get down on the floor and essentially unwire my whole setup. If I didn't know how to hook up a computer, there would be things besides the MJ that weren't working!

The "chat" stopped abruptly when I asked how to get a refund for the useless equipment. Many apologies and their engineers would email me eventually. Right.

So, does anyone have one of these things working?

Vic
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I have used a Linksys PAP2T in the past with Call Centric and it worked well, if going VOIP I prefer to BYOD.

From what I read about the obi ATA that I found about here on Bogle I think I would go that way, a little more simple.

To make a long story story longer if I can keep talking down my land line people to keep it at a resonable cost I will stick with the the land line.

One option for people who have cell phone plans with multi numbers would be to port your land line # for what ever it is $10/month? Than use a Bluetooth set of wireless phones for the home. Never done it but this it would work ok.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Toons

Post by Toons »

I just found my magicjack! A picture is worth a thousand words :lol: :lol:

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

leonidas wrote:I was wondering if anyone has setup magicjack plus or called someone using it and determined that it was a suitable replacement for their land line. I was reading that the plus fixes some of the annoying things of the original mjack such as better sound, no pc hookup needed and ability to port your number.
Thanks.
Yeh, I've heard all this stuff, but as I posted it doesn't work and the MJ "support" is an endless time sink. I paid for some expensive toxic landfill.

Vic
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

Toons wrote:I just found my magicjack! A picture is worth a thousand words :lol: :lol:
You are right. I opened this thread to see if I could begin to comprehend this subject, but I cannot. Now I know it is not my fault.
leod

Post by leod »

tried magic jack over a year ago and it was ok at times and bad on others. we switch to skype app on smartphones and we can always make a call with no need to turn on the computer, cost of 2.99/mo.
JULIE

Post by JULIE »

My parents use it so they can make/receive calls to the US when they are in their other house, but it is far from reliable.

We just did away with the landline altogether and use our cells.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FWIW, I've used the old MagicJack for several years now and haven't really had any problems that weren't related to the Internet connection speed. No land line for me for years now. I'll probably upgade to the MJ+ when my five year pre-paid period is up (unfortunately they won't let you transfer the unused time to a new MJ+).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Mel Lindauer wrote:FWIW, I've used the old MagicJack for several years now and haven't really had any problems that weren't related to the Internet connection speed. No land line for me for years now. I'll probably upgade to the MJ+ when my five year pre-paid period is up (unfortunately they won't let you transfer the unused time to a new MJ+).
Dont you have to keep your computer continuously on?
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 »

I got a tremendous deal from Verizon to switch to fios...

all in for cable, multiroom dvr, internet, and phone is 100/month with a 300 visa card back.

I'd look to switching everything before I started doing piecemeal services.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

ejvyas wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:FWIW, I've used the old MagicJack for several years now and haven't really had any problems that weren't related to the Internet connection speed. No land line for me for years now. I'll probably upgade to the MJ+ when my five year pre-paid period is up (unfortunately they won't let you transfer the unused time to a new MJ+).
Yes, I have it connected to an older computer that I don't use any longer. However, I will upgrage to the MJ+ in the future and that might save a few bucks in electricity.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
ejvyas wrote:
Yes, I have it connected to an older computer that I don't use any longer. However, I will upgrage to the MJ+ in the future and that might save a few bucks in electricity.
Yes it will save electricity however MJ is increasing charges in few days (may have already) so if you consider all costs of investing including transaction charges (of buying MJ+) you will end up paying same :wink:
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

ejvyas wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
ejvyas wrote:
Yes it will save electricity however MJ is increasing charges in few days (may have already) so if you consider all costs of investing including transaction charges (of buying MJ+) you will end up paying same :wink:
That was my thought, too, so I was in no hurry to upgrade, especially given that I haven't been having any problems with the MJ. And I wasn't about to lose the ~three more years service that I've already pre-paid.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Sorry to drag out this old thread yet again, but was just wondering if anyone ever got the MJ+ to work.

MY original MJ was OK, but I never got MJ+ to work as advertised. It works just like the old MJ when plugged into a turned-on computer. When my old MJ expired I started using the plus gadget instead of paying up again.

MJ customer service is not even a bad joke - I think it's someone who types scripted responses without even reading what the sucker on the other end types. A techno savvy neighbor called it a "piece of crap," and if he can't get it to work I sure can't.

So, does anyone actually have a working MJ Plus?

Vic
fire5soon

Post by fire5soon »

I've used it for approx 4mths. I had one minor problem which was fixed via an online chat session with a tech. I've had one or two dropped calls. For the price I've been happy.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

We recently got magic jack plus and so far it works great. No dropped calls, easy to install, simple. The only bad thing is that while it doesn't need to plugged into a computer, it does need to plugged into your router so your base still has to be around your computer. This is easily fixed by getting a wireless handset though, have the main base near the router, and other bases anywhere else in the house.

It'll also take some time to recoup the initial cost. You have pay for the device, plus an extra amount if you're porting your number, and also the first years worth of service. All in all, it's about $200 just to get up and running, but so far so good.
gtaylor

Post by gtaylor »

So for the sake of comparison, you can look at callcentric.com to see the offerings from the conventional Internet phone service company I use.

It is more expensive than MJ offerings, but it's still more or less free compared to plain old telephone service (or the likes of Vonage), and they have a) excellent support, b) allow (only!) bring your own device, and c) are not a gimmicky sales-driven company. I have fair confidence that my phone service will continue to work without gratuitous cost or technical changes.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

LAbob wrote:
You need internet service, not a telco landline. If you have high speed internet anyway through your cable provider or some other way then the cost of adding VOIP service can be very reasonable.

We use Voipo and typically pay about $6 per month (free port, free equipment) including many bells and whistles compared to $20+ for no-frills telco service. Ooma seems to be another good option for which you pay for the equipment (about $200) and then $2 per month for taxes. If you want higher-end bells and whistles you you pay extra.

Many cable companies offer VOIP as a part of their 'bundles' but it is usually much more expensive than options such as those I mention above. I'm sure the day will come that landlines will be a thing of the past.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
songman52

Post by songman52 »

Yes, I tried the MJ+. It was easy to connect and was working fine. I sent it back (awaiting a credit on my CC) because the ability to port my number doesn't exist yet in my area. So if we could have moved our phone number to it I would probably still have it. I'll check again in four months when my annual Vonage term is over. I've had Vonage for several years and no problems, but the cost keeps rising.
Can't (yet) convince my wife that our cell phones will suffice.
BogleBrit

Post by BogleBrit »

I've been working to get rid of my local tel line also. I tried NetTalk recently but couldn't get it to work and the technical support was very slow so I returned it. Over the weekend I bought an Ooma from Costco and had it working in about 15 mins. I've been making calls and have sent and received faxes with it connected to an AIO printer/fax (yes I know...there is someone in the world that still uses faxes from time to time). I'm extremely happy with the Ooma so far and will try it out for a few more weeks before porting my home phone line. The unit and number port will cost $220 total but that will pay for itself in 8 months and then the ongoing cost is about $4 a month.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

I've been using OOMA for more than a year now and have been very satisfied with the service, and even more satisfied with the $0 bill (only $2.50 taxes/month). The equipment cost is $190-200 one time investment, but I lucked out with a refurbished one at Frys for $92 when I switched.

The first step to get rid of the land line is not looking for a VOIP phone service though - it is finding a wireless home security service that does not need a land line.

Best,
Sunny
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
papito23

Post by papito23 »

Toons wrote:Since google is extending their "free"phone service I would give that a try for a year.I dropped magicjack a couple years ago and started using google phone,No regrets and no hardware to carry around , and it is available on all my computers.Ive always left one of my computers on 24/7 and have for years so that is no big deal
I just got a number. However, it rings my landline when the number is dialed. Is t here a way to get it to dial straight to your computer w/o the landline?
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel »

Another happy Ooma user here. Set up was a breeze, after the initial purchase costs are minimal and call quality is good (e.g. much better than on a cell phone). I had also almost forgotten how much more convenient a phone is compared to e.g. Skype on a laptop. Finally, we took the Ooma on a trip to Asia, hooked it up to a router and it booted right up. So far so good.
papito23

Post by papito23 »

n/m, I found it: How to Replace your Landline with Google Voice http://gizmodo.com/5654683/how-to-repla ... ogle-voice
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Thanks for the info. I guess I just got a lemon on the MJ+. Since my original MJ has expired I'll just use the + like I did the original until it also expires and then reconsider.

One thing is that local numbers other than 911 don't work on MJ. The central non-emergency number in NYC is 311 and MJ can't connect with it. I have to use cell minutes to call that number which can easily eat up 20 minutes, but I don't need it very often so it's just one more thing to think about. I'm assuming this is true for all VOIP systems (?).

Those who still have working land lines and get their internet from the telco should ask first how much the internet connection will cost if you drop the phone. Get the exact figure. When I dropped the land line, a Verizon rep told me the internet connection would be "just about the same." Hah!! They raised it by 70% . . . .

I'm still better off in terms of outlay, but the DSL is slow - I have to keep reminding myself of 300 baud modems and wonder how many years it would take to download a video at that speed . . . .

Vic
gtaylor

Post by gtaylor »

I just found an article about the MJ company which rather confirmed my suspicions about the place.

It's fascinating, they get a lot of their earnings by selling puts on their own stock. There are other games afoot as well. Sounds like the ride is getting rocky, it should be interesting to watch if they fold.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/breakingview ... ters_.html
k-slice

Post by k-slice »

I have no land line.
I have a virginmobile android phone with super cheap data/text and minutes plan.
For outgoing calls, I have skypeout and I think it's $33/year unlimited long distance in USA and Canada. The skypeout works with both my computer or even my android handset, whichever is my taste at the time I make a call.
wacobay

Post by wacobay »

my wife and i shave been splitting our time between the U.S. and the Philippines . We bought the original magicjack because of the great price and have been using it the last year to call relatives in the Philippines when we are in the U.S. and to call friends in the U.S. when we are in the Philippines. We have found the magicjack tends to often cut out, have static and generally be difficult to hear and talk over. We have decided that despite it's good price, we will probably go to another option.So, unless there has been a great improvement in the new magicjack, I would be very cautious in dropping your land line.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Have used Ooma now for about 9 months; works great! Could not be happier. A friend had MJ (not sure if plus or not) and we had to tell her to call back on a normal phone whenever she called.

Although not asked by the original poster, also switched away from one of the big cell phone companies to Ting. First bill looks like it will work out to $85/month for 3 smart phones and 1 basic phone; previous bill with the big guys was $185/month for 2 smart phones and 2 basic phones.