Do you own Apple products?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How many Apple products do you own?

I do not own any Apple products.
25%
13%
14%
7%
7%
5+
35%

Total votes: 239

KyleAAA

Re: Do you own Apple products?

Post by KyleAAA »

stives wrote:
I think this has more to do with the way iOS was designed. I believe that when a user "hit the home button and get back to the home screen", it causes the application to enter a background state that will eventually cause most applications (besides like Audio/GPS etc.) to enter a suspended state. I believe that when it is in this state, the application does not execute code and can be removed from memory at anytime. I think it would be better to think of the open applications list in iOS as a "recently used" menu rather than actually open at the time.
They can be removed from memory at any time, but in reality they usually don't, especially if you have push enabled. They absolutely suck resources and over time it can make a noticeable difference.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Very interested in Apple products but have not purchased any for two primary reasons:

1) Price

2) Use in business world - not used except for commercial design/marketing. No clients using Apple. Not compatible with many software products in my profession.

Probably a decrease in price would result in more widespread use in the business world.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
kirent

Post by kirent »

KyleAAA wrote:
stives wrote:
I think this has more to do with the way iOS was designed. I believe that when a user "hit the home button and get back to the home screen", it causes the application to enter a background state that will eventually cause most applications (besides like Audio/GPS etc.) to enter a suspended state. I believe that when it is in this state, the application does not execute code and can be removed from memory at anytime. I think it would be better to think of the open applications list in iOS as a "recently used" menu rather than actually open at the time.
They can be removed from memory at any time, but in reality they usually don't, especially if you have push enabled. They absolutely suck resources and over time it can make a noticeable difference.
So how are you suggesting that they close the application without it "reopening" with push enabled?
Disclaimer: I am not a financial or legal expert and all information I provide is given for entertainment purposes only, at your own risk and with no guarantees of accuracy.
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

bagle wrote:
GregLee wrote: rather ugly.
I think there are valid criticisms of Apple, and yes beauty is subjective, but I think there´s a reason why the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) in NY has the original iPod and other Apple products in its collection. Even Bill Gates admits that Steve Jobs was way ahead of him on this.
My recollection of the first popular Apple computer (was that the 2e?) is that it looked like a terminal -- not ugly, I suppose, but nondescript. It's the first Macintosh that I had mostly in mind with that adjective "ugly" -- a stingy square screen staring out of a featureless beige box, and I do recall having the thought when I first saw it: jeez, that's ugly! Much later, I needed to work briefly on an Apple system, can't recall the model, and by then, in appearance the Apples had evolved to look just like their ibmpc-clone competitors -- back to nondescript.

Perhaps Apples did have an advantage in ease of use for users that needed to be protected from the details of the operating system, but I didn't need that protection, so I didn't like that about Apples, either. Looking back, and thinking about Apple computers' appearance, their excessive price, their user interface, and their closed, proprietary software, I can't think of one thing I liked.
Greg, retired 8/10.
JULIE

Post by JULIE »

2 older ipods (video and classic) that were both won from 2 different work raffles (free).
blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo »

to Abuss,
1) Price

2) Use in business world - not used except for commercial design/marketing. No clients using Apple. Not compatible with many software products in my profession.

Probably a decrease in price would result in more widespread use in the business world.
When buying an Apple product whether computer or idevice you should always check out the Refurb store on Apple's web store. Prices are 15% or more off from list new prices but the equipment has new product warranty.

Macs are used in engineering, science as well as creative design. At least two mechanical CAD systems are available I know.
Larry
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

One thing is certain, the Chinese don't find Apple products ugly. They riot when they can't get them.
Raw eggs splattered and streaked the gleaming windows of Beijing’s Apple store Friday, hurled by angry and frustrated shoppers when the launch of the iPhone 4S was canceled due to fears over the size of the crowd.
The Chinese are suckers for the marketing of bad products. [joke people] In fact, Apple products appear in almost all recent Chinese movies and tv shows. A friend told me about a new drama series that just started January 1 on Hunan satellite tv, You Are My Love, 你是我爱人. I was watching episode 3 today, and one of the women used iMessage to text her husband. However, it didn't look like my iMessage, as there was a FaceTime "button" top middle which I don't have on my iPod touch. Even in Chinese, FaceTime is FaceTime. As soon as I saw it, I had to iMessage my daughter, and I got an LOL right back.

For all the Apple fans out there, learn to say Píngguŏ , 苹果。
Last edited by sscritic on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramink

Post by ramink »

Own a macbook from 2006. Used to own a ipod (2nd gen, I think) that was stolen and a iphone (the very first one) that I ended up giving away as AT&T sucks where I live.
Looking to buy an Ipad when the new one comes out. However my next laptop will likely be a thinkpad
itslate

Post by itslate »

counting the airport i own three apple products, a macbook, an ipod, and an airport. i'll probably end up with an iphone soon too.
Toons

Post by Toons »

2 itouch,3 nano,2 shuffle(used to have a 3rd shuffle but I "cleaned it" in the washing machine :D :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

IPad2 and two iPods, DW and I both have our own. Proud to be a Boglehead, but that doesn't govern my purchasing decisions. Now that I am retired and don't use a Win PC for work, my next computer could be a Mac. Interesting the poll suggests we're either deep into Apple products or not at all.
You only live once...
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Macbook pro and ipod shuffle here. Long time Apple user.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Sauce.
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

natureexplorer wrote:Sauce.
Betty
Greg, retired 8/10.
raisin mountaineer

Post by raisin mountaineer »

Mini Mac (running with our old monitor and speakers) and an I-Pod Nano. I bought the I-Pod when our office moved and I was forced into cubicle-land. It has saved my sanity, which I think is a very nice bargain, indeed. It also has released me from my ball-and-chain tie to Saturday morning radio (I now download podcasts of Wait Wait and This American Life.) I can listen to my favorite shows while out on a run, or in my car while doing long drives. Don't have to worry about reception when on the road...

The Mini-Mac is stellar at collecting our photos and giving us access to e-mail and facebook (and sites like Bogleheads, of course). I suspect that if I wanted more out of it, I wouldn't be so super happy. I do all my financial spreadsheets on my work PC.

I just read Jobs' biography, and although left with a sour taste in my mouth regarding his personal style and treatment of others, I can't deny that a bully with a vision created some amazing products which I enjoy. I hope that his team can carry on and "wow" us every year or two into perpetuity-- the "wow" is worth the price of admission...