Suggestions for the Wiki

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Mr. Gatti

Post by Mr. Gatti »

Estate Tax Rates
Exemptions and tax rates
Year Exclusion
Amount Max/Top
tax rate
2001 $675,000 55%
2002 $1 million 50%
2003 $1 million 49%
2004 $1.5 million 48%
2005 $1.5 million 47%
2006 $2 million 46%
2007 $2 million 45%
2008 $2 million 45%
2009 $3.5 million 45%
2010 Repealed 0%
2011 $1 million 55%

On April 2, 2009, the Senate agreed on S.AMDT.873, an amendment to S.CON.RES.13, a non-binding concurrent resolution setting forth the congressional budget for FY 2010, which was later passed. If enacted in the FY 2010 budget, a new $5,000,000 exemption level will be created with a maximum tax rate of 35%.
I was looking at the estate planning wiki and it looks as if the estate tax table needs to be updated with 2011 exemption of $5MM and max rate of 35% as this was passed. Thanks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks for the correction. I found the changes in the IRS web site and updated the table. Also, I added some footnotes and did some minor reference cleanups.

Wiki article link: Estate Planning

Please post back if anything is incorrect, or, if there's anything you would like to add. Contributions are welcome.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
VictoriaF

Adding Jim Otar to the Wiki

Post by VictoriaF »

Unveiling The Retirement Myth by Jim Otar is an excellent book about retirement planning with the focus on the distribution phase. Otar is a former engineer, and his book is full of formulas, tables and graphs. While some find the technical side off-putting, many Bogleheads embrace the book, and it frequently comes up in Forum's discussions.

Furthermore, Otar's web site, http://www.retirementoptimizer.com/ , features a retirement calculator. There is a free trial version, too.

I recommend adding links to these resources to the Wiki.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you, Victoria. I added Jim Otar's book, including a review and discussion thread links. The retirement calculator was already in the wiki.

Wiki article link: Books: Recommendations and Reviews

Wiki article link: Tools and Calculators (Retirement calculators)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek,

Thank you very much,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

On Wiki TIPS page (http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Treasury ... Securities),
the link named "Tentative Treasury Auction Schedule" is broken, which should point to a PDF.

As far as I can tell, the referenced PDF is probably now at:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center ... ctions.pdf
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

vectorizer wrote:On Wiki TIPS page (http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Treasury ... Securities),
the link named "Tentative Treasury Auction Schedule" is broken, which should point to a PDF.

As far as I can tell, the referenced PDF is probably now at:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center ... ctions.pdf
Thanks,

We have updated the link. Wiki article: Treasury Inflation Protected Securities.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

The Specific Identification page suggests Microsoft Money, but that product is dead. Perhaps replace that reference with GnuCash (though I haven't used it for specific identification myself).
MidnightX

Post by MidnightX »

If it comes to mind when any of you are updating the Wiki, you may want to add additional content to the Glossary as you run across terms that you think would be helpful to a novice.
Last edited by MidnightX on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

vectorizer wrote:The Specific Identification page suggests Microsoft Money, but that product is dead. Perhaps replace that reference with GnuCash (though I haven't used it for specific identification myself).
Hi:
I have added a parenthetical comment that Micosoft Money is no longer active.

Thanks,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

MidnightX wrote:If it comes to mind when any of you are updating the Wiki, you may want to add additional content to the Glossary as you run across terms that you think would be helpful to a novice.
I took a pass through the Glossary and added content that would help a novice investor.

Wiki article link: Abbreviations and Acronyms

The intent was to give enough information to provide a starting point; the reader can proceed from there. Please review, comments / questions / corrections are welcome.
Penguin

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by Penguin »

In the Fidelity Wiki it says:

The closest thing to Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index among Fidelity's own mutual funds is Fidelity's Spartan International Index Fund, FSIIX. While its expense ratio, currently 0.10%, is lower than Vanguard's Investor and Admiral shares, this fund tracks a different index and does not include emerging markets. That does not mean it is necessarily worse, but it is different. It is not as close a replacement for its Vanguard counterpart as some of the others.

At the Fidelity site it says that the expense ratio is now 0.2%. I am not sure if that is still lower than Vanguard's Investor and Admiral shares.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks - FSIIX is actually in 2 wiki articles. I checked the expense ratios.

- Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTIAX) (0.20%)
- Spartan International Index Fund - Investor Class (FSIIX) (0.20%)
- Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares (VGTSX) (0.26%)

Wiki article link: Fidelity - Updated to show that FSIIX is comparable to VTIAX. Additional article updates in process.

Wiki article link: Vanguard safety -Added a 0.20% ER equity section.

You can get the above text by copy-n-pasting the "Embed this text in your forum post" box at the bottom of every article.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I took a quick stab at updating the description of the Spartan funds in http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity but there have been a lot of changes recently and it will probably take some cleanup. I think I'm giving up on mentioning expense ratios in the article. More work needs to be done on comparing the indexes used. Ticker symbols ought to be added, of course.
MidnightX

Post by MidnightX »

Hi LadyGeek,

Thank you for your attention to my suggestion about adding to the Glossary. However, I was referring to the Glossary found at http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Category:Glossary. The first thing I do when learning something new is to read through definitions. The Abbreviations and Acronyms in the Wiki is a great resource and provides more in-depth information than the standard definition. Admittedly, I spend a lot of time looking up definitions when reading the Wiki.

On reflection, adding to the glossary seems to be a misplacement of effort and time since simple definitions can easily be found by a quick Internet search. And I suspect there may not be a lot of people like me who read through definitions, per se. Besides, anyone who spends any time reading this great site and the Abbreviations and Acronyms will get a better understanding of finance terms than a simple definition could convey. Again, thank you for addressing my post, although I now I realize it may not be necessary.

Best regards.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

nisiprius wrote:I took a quick stab at updating the description of the Spartan funds in http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity but there have been a lot of changes recently and it will probably take some cleanup. I think I'm giving up on mentioning expense ratios in the article. More work needs to be done on comparing the indexes used. Ticker symbols ought to be added, of course.
Thanks nisi.

I added the tracking indexes into the notes in the table. I also placed our wiki index returns pages into a dedicated category, and provided a link to this category in the table description, so that readers can check out the historical return comparisons between the different indexes the two firms are using for their index funds.

regards,
RJB

Post by RJB »

At http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Individu ... _Bond_Fund under the section near the top labled, An apparent contradiction
The second sentence reads:
While you can invest in any sector of the bond market either through a bond fund of by buying individual bonds, the two are radically different investments.

Shouldn't it be:
While you can invest in any sector of the bond market either through a bond fund _OR_ by buying individual bonds, the two are radically different investments.

_OR_ is what I changed to make it easier for you to see.

Thank you for your support.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

RJB wrote:At http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Individu ... _Bond_Fund under the section near the top labled, An apparent contradiction
The second sentence reads:
While you can invest in any sector of the bond market either through a bond fund of by buying individual bonds, the two are radically different investments.

Shouldn't it be:
While you can invest in any sector of the bond market either through a bond fund _OR_ by buying individual bonds, the two are radically different investments.

_OR_ is what I changed to make it easier for you to see.

Thank you for your support.
Thanks RJB. I have edited the correction.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Boglehead Rich Guerra made a series of video's featuring Mr. Bogle and our Panel of Experts at our Boglehead 10 Reunion. I think it is well worth a link on the wiki.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1238840

Best wishes.
Taylor
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Boglehead Rich Guerra made a series of video's featuring Mr. Bogle and our Panel of Experts at our Boglehead 10 Reunion. I think it is well worth a link on the wiki.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1238840

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor:

Already a fait accompli: Bogleheads® 10 - Philadelphia.

Please keep us up to date on any postings regarding links to earlier reunion meetings videos, so that they too can be added to the page.

regards,
Taylor Larimore

Hi Barry:

Once again you are several steps ahead of me.

Taylor
speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 »

If not previously mentioned the Oct 13th 2011 paper on behavioral issues affecting purchasing annuities might be a good addition to the Wiki:

"Annuity Puzzles" Bernartzi, Previtero, Thaler

"Abstract:
We analyze the long-standing “annuity puzzle” through the lens of behavioral economics. We provide novel evidence that lessens the extent of the puzzle and shed some additional light on the real drivers of the decision to annuitize. Last, we discuss the policy implications of our findings."

SSRN (click to download):

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1943599

SB...
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

speedbump101 wrote:If not previously mentioned the Oct 13th 2011 paper on behavioral issues affecting purchasing annuities might be a good addition to the Wiki:

"Annuity Puzzles" Bernartzi, Previtero, Thaler

"Abstract:
We analyze the long-standing “annuity puzzle” through the lens of behavioral economics. We provide novel evidence that lessens the extent of the puzzle and shed some additional light on the real drivers of the decision to annuitize. Last, we discuss the policy implications of our findings."

SSRN (click to download):

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=1943599

SB...
Thanks!

Academic papers

regards,
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

It would be good to have a Wiki page on tax-gain harvesting to complement the page(s) on tax-loss harvesting that exist. Here's some starting text:

Tax-gain harvesting, similar to tax-loss harvesting, is the process of turning unrealized capital gains into realized capital gains at a specific time for tax purposes.

In general, it is considered advantageous to delay the realization of capital gains as long as possible. Consequently, tax-gain harvesting is often counter-intuitive and less frequently discussed. However, there are specific circumstances under which it can be advantageous. For example:
- An investor in the 10% or 15% bracket may choose to claim capital gains in 2012 or earlier, to take advantage of the 0% capital gains rate which is scheduled to terminate after 2012.
- An investor in a higher tax bracket may choose to claim capital gains in 2012 or earlier, to avoid taxation under the currently-scheduled higher capital gains rates for 2013 and forward.
- An investor in the lowest tax bracket (currently 10%) may choose to accelerate capital gains under the assumption that he/she will be in a higher tax bracket in future years. (Current law affords a lower tax rate to capital gains in the lowest tax bracket even after 2012.)

Consider the following scenario:
In 2009, Alice and Bob buy 10 shares of Fund A for $100/share. Each has $1,000 basis in the fund.

In 2012, Fund A is worth $200/share. Alice sells her shares of Fund A, realizing a $1,000 capital gain. Because Alice is in the 15% tax bracket, she owes no taxes on this gain. The next day, she repurchases 10 shares of Fund A at the same price.

In 2014, Fund A is worth $250/share. Alice and Bob both sell their shares. Alice has realized another $500 gain, incurring $100 in taxes. Bob has realized a $1,500 capital gain, incurring $300 in taxes.

Bob has incurred triple the taxes on the same capital gain by not tax-gain harvesting.

Some important notes:
- The "wash sale rule" does not apply to tax-gain harvesting. The definition of a wash sale specifically applies it only to securities sold at a loss; securities sold at a profit may immediately be repurchased without tax consequences.
- The 2012 lower capital gains rate only applies to taxpayers who are in the 15% bracket even when the amount of the capital gain is included. A taxpayer with $20,000 in taxable income and $100,000 in unrealized gains would provoke a substantial tax bill by attempting to tax-gain harvest the full amount of their capital gains.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

archbish99 wrote:It would be good to have a Wiki page on tax-gain harvesting to complement the page(s) on tax-loss harvesting that exist. Here's some starting text:

Tax-gain harvesting, similar to tax-loss harvesting, is the process of turning unrealized capital gains into realized capital gains at a specific time for tax purposes.

In general, it is considered advantageous to delay the realization of capital gains as long as possible. Consequently, tax-gain harvesting is often counter-intuitive and less frequently discussed. However, there are specific circumstances under which it can be advantageous. For example:
- An investor in the 10% or 15% bracket may choose to claim capital gains in 2012 or earlier, to take advantage of the 0% capital gains rate which is scheduled to terminate after 2012.
- An investor in a higher tax bracket may choose to claim capital gains in 2012 or earlier, to avoid taxation under the currently-scheduled higher capital gains rates for 2013 and forward.
- An investor in the lowest tax bracket (currently 10%) may choose to accelerate capital gains under the assumption that he/she will be in a higher tax bracket in future years. (Current law affords a lower tax rate to capital gains in the lowest tax bracket even after 2012.)

Consider the following scenario:
In 2009, Alice and Bob buy 10 shares of Fund A for $100/share. Each has $1,000 basis in the fund.

In 2012, Fund A is worth $200/share. Alice sells her shares of Fund A, realizing a $1,000 capital gain. Because Alice is in the 15% tax bracket, she owes no taxes on this gain. The next day, she repurchases 10 shares of Fund A at the same price.

In 2014, Fund A is worth $250/share. Alice and Bob both sell their shares. Alice has realized another $500 gain, incurring $100 in taxes. Bob has realized a $1,500 capital gain, incurring $300 in taxes.

Bob has incurred triple the taxes on the same capital gain by not tax-gain harvesting.

Some important notes:
- The "wash sale rule" does not apply to tax-gain harvesting. The definition of a wash sale specifically applies it only to securities sold at a loss; securities sold at a profit may immediately be repurchased without tax consequences.
- The 2012 lower capital gains rate only applies to taxpayers who are in the 15% bracket even when the amount of the capital gain is included. A taxpayer with $20,000 in taxable income and $100,000 in unrealized gains would provoke a substantial tax bill by attempting to tax-gain harvest the full amount of their capital gains.
Hi archbish99:

I have transferred your contribution to the wiki, with formatting changes along with a few edits. Wiki article link: Tax gain harvesting .

Thanks for contributing.

regards,
Taylor Larimore

Hi Barry:

At the end of the "wash gain" article it refers to "AGI" 5 times.

Many don't know what AGI means. Spelling it out once would help.

Happy Holliday!

Taylor
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

[quote="Barry Barnitz"]
Hi archbish99:

I have transferred your contribution to the wiki, with formatting changes along with a few edits. Wiki article link: [url=http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_gain_harvesting]Tax gain harvesting[/url] .

Thanks for contributing.[/quote]

Looks good -- thanks. It might also be worthwhile to add a link to this page in the Tax Considerations category, and possibly from the TLH topic.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

Taylor:

"adjusted gross income" was mentioned in the first sentence text, but I have placed a parenthetical for easier comprehension: adjusted gross income (AGI).

archbish99:

I have added a "See also" header for the tax loss harvesting link and added the navigation sidebar.

Wiki article link: Tax gain harvesting .

regards,
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

Since the Treasury Department upped the purchase limit for Series I bonds to $10K online (plus $5K through tax refunds), the wiki needs to be updated also.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/res ... angeqa.htm
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks. This change affects availability of paper bonds (Series I via tax refunds only) as well as Series EE bonds.

Wiki article link: I Savings Bonds

Wiki article link: EE Savings Bonds

I cleaned up some old info (proposed changes from 2009, etc.). If anything looks out of place, or there are additional comments, please post here.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

Just so you know, on the I Savings bonds page, references one through six and the first two external links aren't linked to anything. They don't go anywhere. Are they supposed to be that way?

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/I_Saving ... References
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I don't see anything out of the ordinary, references 1 through 7 and External links work as expected. Here's what I see- it's a text copy, the links aren't highlighted. Browser cache?
References

1. ↑ Nov 2009 TreasuryDirect Press Release Announcing the New Rates
2. ↑ I Savings Bonds Rates & Terms
3. ↑ I and EE Savings Bond Comparison, from TreasuryDirect.gov.
4. ↑ Purchase Limits, from TreasuryDirect.gov.
5. ↑ I Savings Bonds In Depth, from TreasuryDirect.gov.
6. ↑ According to Series I Savings Bonds Tax Considerations.
7. ↑ FinAid Section 529 Plans

External links

* Treasury Direct - I Savings Bonds In Depth
*Treasury Direct: Learn More About Entity Accounts
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

Maybe, it's supposed to be that way, but I'm used to Wikipedia where clicking on the reference (not the arrow) takes you to the actual source page (as does reference 7 and the three items under "See also"). References 1-6 are not clickable to me. Maybe it's just me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just refreshed the page from the wiki side (command line option ?action=purge). Everything still works as expected, we'll wait to see if anyone else has the problem. Yes, this works (should work) exactly like Wikipedia.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I was in the portfolio section last week.

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_Portfolios

In the lazy portolios should the international fund in the core 3 and Ricks core 4 be changed from VEU/VFWIX to VXUS/VGTSX?

Would need to verify with Rick but IIRC he now prefers VXUS/VGTSX due to the inclusion of Canada within the fund.

Jay
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks for the suggestion. I asked Rick Ferri to take a look at it.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

I tried to make a link to the "Bogleheads financial start-up kit" like I do other Wiki pages, but I couldn't. Because of the little R in the circle the link breaks.
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... art-up_kit

Removing the R doesn't work either.

Using the text to embed at the bottom of the page doesn't work either.
Wiki article link: [url=http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... art-up_kit]Bogleheads® financial start-up kit[/url]

Although it does work if the link isn't hidden.

Can this be fixed so that the link can be hidden, or am I just stuck with the entire coding?
Taylor Larimore

Hi Barry:

I like the new list of books

"Fooled by Randomness" has a link to my Gems. The link is in error. This book (near the bottom of the list) is not one of the Gems.

Best wishes.
Taylor
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Duckie wrote:...Can this be fixed so that the link can be hidden, or am I just stuck with the entire coding?
There's a problem with your post settings, BBCodes are disabled. I sent you a PM with some suggestions on how to fix it.

Here's what I get - Wiki article link: Bogleheads® financial start-up kit
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Barry:

I like the new list of books

"Fooled by Randomness" has a link to my Gems. The link is in error. This book (near the bottom of the list) is not one of the Gems.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thanks Taylor,
I have corrected the link, please see Books: Recommendations and Reviews - Bogleheads.

regards,
stoub

Broken link on Traditional IRA page

Post by stoub »

On the Traditional IRA page, the external link to the paper by William Reichenstein on "Tax-Efficient Sequencing Of Accounts to Tap in Retirement" (at the very bottom) is broken. The new location is:

http://www.tiaa-crefinstitute.org/insti ... 100106.pdf
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you. Link updated: Traditional IRA

We ran a maintenance report for broken links, but this one isn't on the list: External link maintenance. Perhaps it broke after the report was created, December 21, 2011.

If anyone sees a broken link that they know how to fix, please post here and someone will take care of it.
stoub

Post by stoub »

LadyGeek wrote: We ran a maintenance report for broken links, but this one isn't on the list: External link maintenance. Perhaps it broke after the report was created, December 21, 2011.
There are four other URLs from that link-check report from the same website (http://www.tiaa-crefinstitute.org/) that fit the same pattern...which makes me wonder if the link-checking script walked through the entire Wiki when it ran Dec. 21st.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you again. I fixed the remaining 4 links. In fact, I replaced the direct pdf links with the associated web site decription which contains the abstract - it's easier to see what you're downloading.

For example: In Variable Annuity, the paper is the 6th bullet down under Academic Papers.

The script did indeed run through the whole wiki. Updating the pages is a manual process and we're removing the report links as we go - someone probably deleted that link by mistake (there are a lot of links to fix). The nice thing about the wiki software, MediaWiki, is that you can trace back to figure out what happened - nothing is ever lost. For this effort, we'll just run the report again.
dkturner

Re: MSCI EAFE Index returns

Post by dkturner »

This afternoon I was looking at the historical index returns for the MSCI EAFE index listed on your Wiki site.

I believe there is an error in the 1971 total return you have reported. Your Wiki entry for 1971 shows a return of 59.6%. I have a Dimensional Fund Advisors database which lists an EAFE return for 1971 of 29.6%. Except for 1971, the total returns for all of the other years agree to the nearest 1/10 of 1%.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: MSCI EAFE Index returns

Post by Barry Barnitz »

dkturner wrote:This afternoon I was looking at the historical index returns for the MSCI EAFE index listed on your Wiki site.

I believe there is an error in the 1971 total return you have reported. Your Wiki entry for 1971 shows a return of 59.6%. I have a Dimensional Fund Advisors database which lists an EAFE return for 1971 of 29.6%. Except for 1971, the total returns for all of the other years agree to the nearest 1/10 of 1%.
Thanks, the table has been corrected.

regards,
mhc

Post by mhc »

If there is a page that already shows this, I can't find it.

I think it would be good if the wiki had a page on "Effects of Expense Ratio". The idea would be to have a chart that shows the effect of ER on a portfolio for different ER's vs. different durations. The following website has a table that I often point people to. I would rather point people to our wiki.

http://www.moolanomy.com/20/how-expense ... rformance/
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi,

I didn't see anyone get back to you. There is indeed a wiki page on expense ratio. A graphic was added over the weekend, presumably from your suggestion - thanks.

Does this help? Wiki article link: Expense Ratios

If you have problems locating anything in the wiki (the built-in search box in the top right corner is not comprehensive), please use the forum's Google search; as it covers both the wiki and forum. You'll get both wiki articles and forum thread results, which can sometimes give better information than either on its own.
mhc

Post by mhc »

LadyGeek,

thank you for the response and the link. I think the graphic helps. Also, I noticed that there is a path from the ER wiki page to a spreadsheet. I think this should be sufficient.

I really appreciate the work that you and the others do to make this a world class forum.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're welcome. BTW, that image is also used in the Bogleheads® investment philosophy. Scroll down to "Buy low-cost, widely-diversified funds" for an explanation of the impact of expense ratio on long-term investments. That's not quite what you were looking for, but it helps people understand "the basics."

(Sneaky wiki trick: Click on the graphic to go to the image page. On the bottom left-hand menu, under Toolbox is "What links here." Click on that link to find the 2 articles which use the image.)