DIEHARDS VII OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

DIEHARDS VII OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Bogleheads/Diehards:

***************SEE MEL'S 1-13-08 "DIEHARDS VII SOLD OUT POST"***************

We are pleased to announce that our 2008 Bogleheads/Diehards Reunion (Diehards VII) will be held in San Diego, California, with registration and reception starting at 3PM on Monday, September 22, 2008, and ending at noon on Wednesday, September 24, 2008. The hotel chosen is just 0.7 miles from the city center and 2 miles from San Diego International Airport. The hotel offers free airport shuttle.

Our special guest for Diehards VII is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle. Jack is attending specifically to meet with his Bogleheads, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend are authors Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Taylor Larimore, Michael LeBoeuf, Mel Lindauer, and Bill Schultheis. In addition to the Diehard authors, our Q&A Panel of Experts is also expected to include Morningstar's Sue Stevens, Professor Ed Tower of Duke University, and our own Queen Laura.

We'll start with a wine and cheese reception on Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for his personal presentation and Q&A. After lunch, there will be book signings with Jack and the Diehard authors. Then on Tuesday evening, we’ll enjoy our annual Bogleheads Banquet with Jack Bogle and the authors. Finally, we'll wrap up the meeting on Wednesday, after a morning Q&A session with the Panel of Experts.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$179 per person. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE since we must sign a contract with the hotel and guarantee them a minimum level of revenue. This non-refundable fee covers the reception on Monday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner banquet on Tuesday, breakfast on Wednesday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the question and answer sessions. The registration will be on a first-come basis. We suggest that you make your reservation early and send in your registration fee right away, since attendance will be limited.

To make your reservation for the meeting, please send an email with your Boglehead and/or Morningstar login name, your real name, and your contact information to diehardsvii@gmail.com ASAP. Paul Globerson, who is the coordinator of the San Diego Diehards Local Chapter, will respond via email with details regarding where to send your non-refundable registration fee. Once your payment is received, Paul will advise registered Diehards on the procedure for reserving a room at our conference hotel at the discounted rate of $129 per night (versus the regular rate of $229 per night). The hotel is holding a limited number of rooms for us at this special rate.

We look forward to another exciting event, meeting with Jack Bogle and our author friends, seeing many previous attendees again, and meeting some of you for the first time.

Mel, Taylor, & Paul Globerson
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kathleen Ryan

Thank you

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Thank you Mel, Taylor, and Paul, for letting us know,

I just e-mailed all the members of the CA Chapters 5 & 9 to let them know too. Sometimes announcements get missed and this may help get the word out also.

We are looking forward to seeing Mr. Bogle, you, Taylor, and so many other goods friends we have met through past reunion attendance. It is also fun when people arrive at the reunions for the first time, to put a face to the name of people we "know" from their posts. That is the good thing about these reunions; you don't have to walk into a room and feel like you don't know anyone! =-)

See you in Septemeber.
Best wishes, | Kathleen
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Thanks, Mel.

We've just sent our email to Paul and are looking forward to seeing everyone again in San Diego.

Ed
VictoriaF

Re: Thank you

Post by VictoriaF »

Kathleen Ryan wrote:It is also fun when people arrive at the reunions for the first time, to put a face to the name of people we "know" from their posts. That is the good thing about these reunions; you don't have to walk into a room and feel like you don't know anyone! =-)

See you in Septemeber.
Kathleen,

You are exactly right! At Diehards VI, I felt I knew some people well just from their messages. Looking forward to meeting you in person,

Victoria
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Hi Everyone,

I , too, just sent an email to Paul.

September in San diego should be ideal. Lots to do in the area, also.

Looking forward to it.

LynnC

Would someone please scare up Timmy, so he can get his red plaid shirts ready?
Kathleen Ryan

To Victoria,

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi Victoria,

Nice to "see" you. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person also.

I was sorry to have missed last year's reunion hosted by Ed and Patty Rager in Washington, DC. From viewing the photos, I know we missed out on a very special time. To see Laura receiving her very own Bogle Boblehead Doll, must have been a riot. And I also missed out on receiving a "John Bogle for President" button. Now that is one button I would be proud to wear!

This will be historic DH Reunion, as it will be the first to be held in CA. 8)
Best wishes, | Kathleen
LynnC

Re: To Victoria,

Post by LynnC »

Kathleen Ryan wrote:Hi Victoria,

This will be historic DH Reunion, as it will be the first to be held in CA. 8)
Right you are, Kathleen!

I have received the information from Paul and my check is in the mail. See you there!

LynnC
stratton

Post by stratton »

I have my membership too.

Thanks for all the effort folks are putting into Diehards VII.

Paul
Kathleen Ryan

hi

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi LynnC,

I'm glad to hear you will be attending DH VII too. It will be so nice to visit with you and Mal again. I'll be on my guard this time, as I know what a kidder Mal is! 8)

Hi Paul,

My check is also in the mail. Really We'll look forward to receiving further instructions as detailed in your e-mail.
Best wishes, | Kathleen
normsie

diehards VII

Post by normsie »

hi paul and linda,

am sending you a message from both sites.as soon as i know where to send the check, it will be in the mail.i will be gone to new york for a few days but will check as soon as i get back.

looking forward to seeing everyone again,

regards,
norma ann

user name:normsie
e-mail: normaland@aol.com
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

DIEHARDS VII REGISTRATION UPDATE

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

Looks like we're already 1/3 of the way full in less than 24 hours. For those who know they want to attend, it would certainly be prudent to get signed up before we're sold out.

Best regards to all,

Mel
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Good news! Mel, to be 1/3 filled when it was hard to "see" the message is wonderful.

This forum gets so much traffic that the message quickly falls to the bottom. M*, Diehard forum isn't as easy to read as it once was.
I guess good news traveled fast.

Good job!

Hello Norma Ann. See you there.

LynnC
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

It looks like things are moving fast for Diehards VII! That's good!

I just dropped my registration check for 2 at the post office. It seems like Diehards VII will be a quick sellout.

Ed
Murray

No reply from Paul

Post by Murray »

Hi, I e-mailed Paul and no reply yet ... ??? Don't know where to send check ...
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: No reply from Paul

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Murray wrote:Hi, I e-mailed Paul and no reply yet ... ??? Don't know where to send check ...
Hi Murray:

Did you look in your Junk Mail/SPAM folder? It may be sitting there if you didn't add Paul's e-mail address to your address book. Just in case that's not the answer, I've e-mailed Psul, asking if he got your original e-mail.

Best regards,

Mel
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: No reply from Paul

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Murray wrote:Hi, I e-mailed Paul and no reply yet ... ??? Don't know where to send check ...
From what Paul tells me, you're using two different e-mail addresses, and that's what caused the problem. Hopefully, things are straightened out by now. If not, just let me know.

Best regards,

Mel
sddiehard

No reply from Paul

Post by sddiehard »

Murray and all Diehards,

I am replying to the email address from which I receive your email. Please be sure check the email address you are sending from. Hope this clears up the confusion.

I have and will continue to respond within 24 hours. If you don't hear from me do email me again.

Thanks,

Paul
haban01

Hello Diehards

Post by haban01 »

The check is in the mail! I can't wait until September!

Best Wishes for 2008! :lol:

Eric Haban
Eric | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless"
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Eric,

Glad to see that we will get to see you again in San Diego.

Ed
mucho dinero

Diehard Reunion

Post by mucho dinero »

Mel,

Thanks for the update. I just sent an email to Paul, and I will send the check as soon as I receive a reply.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in San Diego.

Tony :D
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Diehards VII

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Good to see that Eric and Terrible Tony will be joining us again.

Best regards to you both.

Mel
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Woo Hoo, Eric!

Bring your Speedo, as it will be warm in SD. :lol:

LynnC
haban01

Hi Lynn

Post by haban01 »

Sounds great! Can't wait to see you & Mal again. It's pretty cold here right now :).

Happy New Year to you!
avram53

Paul, Count me in!

Post by avram53 »

Paul, Linda, Mel and Taylor,
I'll send my email right now. Can't wait to see everyone again and spend time with Jack, the authors, Laura and all of the friends who have attended in the past along with newcomers.

Thanks for making the arrangements--especially because we're continuing to hold our "own" event separate from any money show. Also glad the hotel is less expensive! ;-)

Best, Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
VictoriaF

Local chapter session?

Post by VictoriaF »

Paul, Linda, Mel, Taylor,

I thought it may be interesting to hold a session where chapter leaders would share experiences of their local chapters.

We already have at least four guest chairs attending Diehards VII:
- Kathleen Ryan - California (central)
- Rager1 - Washington, DC (metropolitan area)
- Eric Haban - Wisconsin
- avram53 - New York / New Jersey / Connecticuit

Is there interest in something like that?
Can this fit into the conference schedule?
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
avram53

Victoria, from Ave

Post by avram53 »

Victoria,
As you may recall, in Virginia, there seemed to be plenty of time in between organized sessions. I think it would be a nice idea for Chapter organizers to meet and talk about common issues. Thanks for your suggestion.

Best, Ave
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Ave,

As you say, we did have time and space available during the meeting in Alexandria. Let's hope it will be similar in San Diego.

I can think of several benefits of a chairs/coordinators panel:
- describe good experiences - so that others could try them too
- share any frustrations - to get helpful suggestions
- help those who are considering starting a new chapter

See you in San Diego
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: Local chapter session?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

VictoriaF wrote:Paul, Linda, Mel, Taylor,

I thought it may be interesting to hold a session where chapter leaders would share experiences of their local chapters.

We already have at least four guest chairs attending Diehards VII:
- Kathleen Ryan - California (central)
- Rager1 - Washington, DC (metropolitan area)
- Eric Haban - Wisconsin
- avram53 - New York / New Jersey / Connecticuit

Is there interest in something like that?
Can this fit into the conference schedule?
Hi Victoria:

Our official agenda is chock full again this year, but Diehards Local Chapter leaders/members should feel free to meet and discuss issues whenever there's any downtime.

Remember, though, that the meeting room usually has to be vacated between our organized events both for security reasons and because the hotel staff is setting up for dinner, etc. so it probably won't be available for non-scheduled use.

Best regards,

Mel
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Chapter Leaders Get-to-Gether.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Victoria:
That is an excellent idea. We plan to introduce the Chapter Leaders, but as Mel said, it's going to be difficult for them to meet during the Conference because of our tight schedule.

I suggest they communicate with each other to arrange a time and place to meet before or after the day's scheduled events.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Murray

Hi, everyone!

Post by Murray »

Thanks, check's in the mail for both of us! Matt's coming from the great state of Maine ... anyother Diehards from that neck of the woods?
Howdy, Eric ... will be nice to meet you in person!
haban01

Hi matt

Post by haban01 »

Can't wait to meet as well! You will not regret making the trip. Each reunion has been better than the previous one. Seeing Jack in person is a real treat. Meeting all of the other diehards is very cool as well!

Happy New Year! :lol:
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Diehards VII Registration Update

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

Just wanted to provide an update for those who haven't yet sent in their registration e-mail. In the first 48 hours, we've already filled more than half of the available spots for Diehards VII, so if you're planning to attend, it would be prudent to act now to make sure that you don't get shut out, since seating is limited.

Best regards to all,

Mel
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Hi Mel,

Good idea to keep reminding people that space is limited.

I just got my hotel information from Paul and will be reserving our room today.

Thanks,
LynnC
gailcox

Just found out about it!!

Post by gailcox »

THanks to Mel and Eric for emailing me and alerting me. I will be there for sure and am waiting for more info from Paul.

It will be great to see familiar faces and meet new people. We should have a good showing from the DFW chapter!

Take care everyone and see you in September!

gail
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Diehards VII

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Gail:

So glad to hear that you'll be joining us. Looking forward to seeing you again in San Diego!

Say hi to Michael and the girls.

Best regards,

Mel
Kathleen Ryan

Hi Victoria

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi Victoria,

I would have gotten back to you and posted here sooner, but the power was out for awhile. I think you had a wonderful idea and I see Taylor has answered you already regarding the local chapter coordinators having a meeting.

Perhaps if having a "sub"-meeting during the DH VII Reunion is not possible, the coordinators (and people interested in forming local chapters) can e-mail each other periodically and discuss your excellent suggestions for topics:

"- describe good experiences - so that others could try them too
- help those who are considering starting a new chapter."

Regarding power loss: The high winds caused many tree limbs to come down on the power lines, and that was the source of many power outages. Then I believe PG&E shutdown many grids surrounding Carmel-by-the-Sea for preventative measures as many people are still without power in parts of Carmel, Pebble Beach, Monterey and Seaside. The power outages started at 8:50 am on Friday morning at our house and the power was restored at 2:10 pm Saturday(yesterday). (Once it went back on for five minutes then went out again for the rest of the day and night.)

This oak tree was blown down on the corner of Ocean Avenue and Dolores Street:

Last edited by Kathleen Ryan on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best wishes, | Kathleen
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

The man who changed our lives.

Hi Gail:

Hearing the good news that you will be attending the San Diego Boglehead Reunion is great weekend news!

Consider bringing Michael and the girls. They should have a good time, and it is desirable for everyone to be investing from the same lesson plan.

For those who don't know, Gail, Claudia, Mel, Tim Dempsey, Pat and I first meet Jack Bogle at Diehard 1 in Miami in March 2000. It changed our lives.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Cyberdaisy

Post by Cyberdaisy »

Yes, Taylor, that DH I was realllly special! I still have photos of it (and my Bogle bobblehead) in my office. It looks like several DHI attendees are coming this year!

My check is in the mail! am waiting for info re: hotel. Many thanks to Ed for giving me a "heads up!" I look forward to re-connecting with all the Bogleheads!

Claudia
Plan for the future but live for today.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Jack's Diehard friends.

Hi Claudia:
My check is in the mail! am waiting for info re: hotel. Many thanks to Ed for giving me a "heads up!" I look forward to re-connecting with all the Bogleheads!
Wonderful news! We all want to know how you are doing on your road to becoming a financial advisor.

It appears we are going to have many of the original 21 Bogleheads who attended Diehard I.

It is wonderful that Jack's message and our friendships become stronger every day.

Best wishes.
Taylor
VictoriaF

Re: Hi Victoria

Post by VictoriaF »

Kathleen Ryan wrote:Hi Victoria,

I would have gotten back to you and posted here sooner, but the power was out for awhile. I think you had a wonderful idea and I see Taylor has answered you already regarding the local chapter coordinators having a meeting.
Hi Kathleen,

It is too bad that you had power loss. Hope it has been fixed for good.

I appreciate Mel's and Taylor's responses. We want to take full advantage of our official speakers and panels, and the room will not be available at other times.

As Taylor suggested, during the meeting chapter leaders/coordinators will be introduced and have a brief chance to identify any common interests. After that, there could be opportunities to get together for lunch or dinner, and continue via email.

I agree with what you say below.
Kathleen Ryan wrote: Perhaps if having a "sub"-meeting during the DH VII Reunion is not possible, the coordinators (and people interested in forming local chapters) can e-mail each other periodically and discuss your excellent suggestions for topics:

"- describe good experiences - so that others could try them too
- help those who are considering starting a new chapter."

Regarding power loss: The high winds caused many tree limbs to come down on the power lines, and that was the source of many power outages. Then I believe PG&E shutdown many grids surrounding Carmel-by-the-Sea for preventative measures as many people are still without power in parts of Carmel, Pebble Beach, Monterey and Seaside. The power outages started at 8:50 am on Friday morning at our house and the power was restored at 2:10 pm Saturday(yesterday). (Once it went back on for five minutes then went out again for the rest of the day and night.)
Looking forward to meeting you in person.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Chapter Meetings

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Again Kathleen and Victoria:

We didn't want to discourage you in any way from getting together. I think it's a great idea, but just wanted to let you know that you'd have to make arrangements to meet in the lobby, perhaps in someone's hotel room, or maybe over breakfast, since the conference room wouldn't be available, even during the time when there's no scheduled events going on (such as after the book signings but before the dinner), since the hotel staff would be redoing the room, setting up for dinner.

Best regards to you both.

Mel
haban01

Hi Gail

Post by haban01 »

What are friends for :-)

See you in sunny San Diego.

Happy New Year! :lol:
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Morningstar's Coming

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

I just received word that several folks from Morningstar will be joining us for Diehards VII.

Darrin, the M* Vanguard Diehards forum coordinator will be attending, as will M*'s Christine Benz, who's written lots of good books and articles.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search- ... enz&page=1

Looks like it's going to be another great gathering! If you haven't made your reservations yet, I suggest you do so promptly so you don't get shut out. Once we're full, reservations will be shut off.

Best regards to all,

Mel
haban01

Thanks Mel

Post by haban01 »

It was great that Sue was able to spend "special" time with us last year. She even autographed many of the handouts as well.

Sue made a nice contribution on our Q & A Panel as well.

In addition, our Queen Laura did a nice job as well.

Happy New Year-
Kathleen Ryan

Hi Mel,

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi Mel & Taylor,

Mel, you wrote,"
We didn't want to discourage you in any way from getting together."

Please don't worry about this, as it had not crossed my mind. I know you wouldn't want to discourage this. =-) I understand fully and can appreciate how well things are scheduled so that every minute is spent wisely.

I'm sure Victoria and I will have plenty of time to meet, and discuss the different aspects of local chapter meetings.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Hi Paul & Linda, Ed, Lynn, Eric, Gail, Normsie, Claudia, Ave, & Tony,,

Nice to "see" you here, and happy to read you all will be attending. It will be so nice to see you (in person) again.

To Victoria, Stratton-(Paul) and Murray,

It will be very nice to meet you.
Best wishes, | Kathleen
avram53

from Ave

Post by avram53 »

Kathleen, Thanks for your greetings. Again, I'm sure there will be time enough for impromptu discussions amongst the local chapter organizers.
Last year's gathering allowed many of us to "hang" and "shmooz" to our heart's content.

Paul, What is the set up at the hotel? Is there anything like the center atrium we had at the Alexandria, VA hotel, where folks could gather and relax? I'm sure there must be a central area.....

Ave
sddiehard

Post by sddiehard »

Paul, What is the set up at the hotel? Is there anything like the center atrium we had at the Alexandria, VA hotel, where folks could gather and relax? I'm sure there must be a central area.....
Ave,

The hotel has a lobby area, cafe area, and a large rooftop pool patio area.

Paul
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Paul, Thanks for the response. Which areas lend themselves best for impromptu "sit around" chats? Ave
sddiehard

Post by sddiehard »

Which areas lend themselves best for impromptu "sit around" chats? Ave
I would think sitting around the pool and enjoying the view would be best.

Paul
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

I had to call the hotel yesterday to ask a question and the clerk said she had just booked several reservations from our group. She asked me if we were staying as long as everyone else.

Looks like many of our Diehards are going to make this a real vacation. Lots to do in the area. September should be fabulous.

LynnC