Costco Carpet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CUBuffs

Costco Carpet

Post by CUBuffs » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Hello Bogleheads,
We're planning on recarpeting our home. I searched on carpet on this forum and found a few people that mentioned Costco as a possible place for carpet. We've looked at the carpet display at our Costco and it seems like pretty good quality carpet.

Has anyone had any experience with getting carpet from Costco, e.g., price, quality, installation, etc? Would your recomment Costco for carpet?

Thanks!
Mike

Bruce

Re: Costco Carpet

Post by Bruce » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:50 am

Costco is a great company and offers quality products and service.

But our experience last month getting multiple carpet bids was that Lowe's was significantly less expensive on the total finished job, then the local contractor we contacted through the in store Costco carpet "kiosk", when comparing equivalent types of carpet and padding.

The difference may have had more to do with the amount of stairs we had done.

I suspect that experience will vary by region, so suggest you shop for multiple bids.

regards
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:38 am

Might check local flooring companies also, sometimes good deals there too. New construction installs slow in winter and they will discount stock sitting in inventory. I think locals sometimes have better installer crews from less turnover and can respond quicker if there is a problem, theoretically.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:50 pm

We bought window blinds through Costco. They used an independent contractor to do the installation. They did a good job. The manufacturer's warranty was better than normal because we bought them through Costco.

Jeff

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:23 pm

We did it a couple of years ago. It was an independent contractor.

First a design person came out to the house and helped us pick out what we wanted. Then a few weeks later the installers came and did the work.

I'm sure we could have gotten it done cheaper elsewhere, but for the quality we got I think we paid a very good price.

Except for the deign person trying to sell us an electricity plan while she was at the house (?!), it was a vey positive experience. I'd definitely use them again if the need arose.
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed. --Booker T. Washington

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:02 pm

I just had a carpet installed on Friday. I didn't check Costco, but I did compare a local flooring store to Lowes and was surprised to discover that the local guys had the edge. I compared olefin berbers with a similar warrantee and the local company quoted me the same total cost with installation, but with a higher grade carpet pad included. They also had a larger selection of the type of carpet I wanted, and were very helpful and responsive. I plan to work with them again.

When you work with Lowes they subcontract the labor to a local installer and take a cut. When you work directly with the local contractors you get to choose who you work with, and the labor part of the price is entirely theirs. They can either pass on some savings to you, keep it all, or split the difference. I call any of those a win, because if I'm not the one to benefit I'd at least rather have the profit go to the guy who actually does the work than corporate HQ. At least in our area, contractors are hurting these days.

brisni

Post by brisni » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:08 pm

We just got carpet and wood flooring through the vendor using a kiosk at Costco in Austin.
They were running a special, plus there was a significant rebate in the form of Costco gift cards.
I don't know the numbers, but my wife checked around and it looked like the best overall deal
in the area. The installation looks very good and we have no complaints.

- Brian

zinnia

Post by zinnia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:51 pm

epilnk wrote:I just had a carpet installed on Friday. I didn't check Costco, but I did compare a local flooring store to Lowes and was surprised to discover that the local guys had the edge. I compared olefin berbers with a similar warrantee and the local company quoted me the same total cost with installation, but with a higher grade carpet pad included. They also had a larger selection of the type of carpet I wanted, and were very helpful and responsive. I plan to work with them again.

When you work with Lowes they subcontract the labor to a local installer and take a cut. When you work directly with the local contractors you get to choose who you work with, and the labor part of the price is entirely theirs. They can either pass on some savings to you, keep it all, or split the difference. I call any of those a win, because if I'm not the one to benefit I'd at least rather have the profit go to the guy who actually does the work than corporate HQ. At least in our area, contractors are hurting these days.
in my locale, I found Lowe's a little cheaper than than locals. Lowe's has a marketing plan that often discounts the cost of installation but the total bottom line is what you look for. They do contract it out, the contractor (that lived in my town) came and measured, then installed it after the purchase. A Lowe's supervisor stopped by during the installation to make sure we were satisfied and called us a week later to check again on our satisfaction. Three months later, my wife saw a minor issue with the install, we called Lowe's and the same installer came by the same day. That was 3 years ago, we would certainly do business with Lowe's again.

CUBuffs

Post by CUBuffs » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! We had a contractor from Costco bring carpet samples and provide an estimate. It sounds like a good option to go with Costco, but as some of you have suggested, we'll check Lowes and some local contractors.

We live in the Denver area, so we were thinking it might be better to wait until spring or early summer so the windows and doors can be open to ventilate. The carpet is 15 years old, so we're thinking removal will be dusty. Does anyone know whether carpet installation involves any adhesives that are oderous?

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Mike

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 pm

MikeDenver wrote:Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! We had a contractor from Costco bring carpet samples and provide an estimate. It sounds like a good option to go with Costco, but as some of you have suggested, we'll check Lowes and some local contractors.

We live in the Denver area, so we were thinking it might be better to wait until spring or early summer so the windows and doors can be open to ventilate. The carpet is 15 years old, so we're thinking removal will be dusty. Does anyone know whether carpet installation involves any adhesives that are oderous?

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Mike
I'm not familiar with adhesive installation, since ours is tacked down, but there are adhesives in the carpet itself. Carpets are one of the worst contributors to indoor pollution, and carpets that contain lower amounts of VOCs tend to be pricy. I closed off the room and left the windows open for a few days.

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 am

One other thing I didn't think about but wish I had known...

If you decide to go the Costco route and have the plain "Gold Star" membership like most people, it might be worth it to upgrade to the "Executive" membership that gives you 2% cash back at least for the year when you have the carpet done. Carpet apparently counts as an eligible purchase for cash back. Then you'd also get 2% back on everything else you buy at Costco for the year.

It would have been worth it in our case. Oh, well.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Frobie wrote:One other thing I didn't think about but wish I had known...

If you decide to go the Costco route and have the plain "Gold Star" membership like most people, it might be worth it to upgrade to the "Executive" membership that gives you 2% cash back at least for the year when you have the carpet done. Carpet apparently counts as an eligible purchase for cash back. Then you'd also get 2% back on everything else you buy at Costco for the year.

Or just save your membership money and use Fidelity 2% AMEX at Costco.

interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:49 pm

mikep wrote:
Frobie wrote:One other thing I didn't think about but wish I had known...

Or just save your membership money and use Fidelity 2% AMEX at Costco.
Or do both. If the executive membership is a win, then that plus a rewards CC will do even better.

-janet