Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

House Blend wrote:Funny about the Hopslam. Over the weekend I revisited my local Food Snob Emporium, hoping to pick up some up some interesting beers. No Breakfast Stout (grr), but there was an ample supply of Hopslam at about $3.50/bottle (with discount).

For the record, I picked out a sampler of these:

Founder's Dirty Bastard Ale
Bell's Hopslam Ale
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout (has licorice)
Dogfish Raison D'Etre
New Holland's The Poet (another oatmeal stout)
Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Let me put in a shout-out for the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's not one of these fancy schmanzy high ABV brews that calls attention to itself. But I keep coming back to it--haven't found any porter that's consistently better.
Founder's porter is excellent for a sessionable beer. Long Trail Imperial Porter is also great and only $5/bomber, though it's a baltic porter and a little higher ABV (8.3%).
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Reviving this thread with a Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Was lucky to pick up two 4-packs of these before they sold out everywhere. Long live KBS!
2sls

Post by 2sls »

Favorites would have to be St.Bernadus 12 and Rochefort 10. Sounds like I need to try Fin du Monde.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

2sls wrote:Favorites would have to be St.Bernadus 12 and Rochefort 10. Sounds like I need to try Fin du Monde.
Stick with the Rochefort and St. Bernardus...
livefreebrewfree

Post by livefreebrewfree »

I would have to refer you to my bumper sticker...

"I brew the beer I drink"

Just did an Irish Red Ale and named it after my son who was recently born. It was actually supposed to be ready on his due date, but wasn't fully carbonated. He was a week late and whadda ya know, it was ready. Kinda creepy though.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Liefman's Cuvee Brut :D
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

BruDude wrote:Reviving this thread with a Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Was lucky to pick up two 4-packs of these before they sold out everywhere. Long live KBS!
Good find! 8) My local beer spot just received Founders Dirty Bastard, Dry Hopped Pale Ale and Red Rye IPA. Unfortunately, no Breakfast Stouts for us.

I did pick up a 6-pack of Ithaca's Flower Power IPA - it's very tasty and not as fruity as it sounds :lol: .
livefreebrewfree wrote:I would have to refer you to my bumper sticker...

"I brew the beer I drink"
Das leben ist zu kurz um scheiss bier zu trinken?
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

For you Bogleheads in the Northeast I was pleasantly surprised that the Acela train had Dogfish Head 90 Minute available. The airlines could learn a few things from Amtrak!
mr.ajandkj

Post by mr.ajandkj »

New dessert fave:

Widmer W'11 KGB Russian Imperial Stout, in a glass with 2 scoops vanilla bean ice cream. Hard to beat a stout float!
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Victory Wild Devil tonight. Lost a decent bit of the bottle to gushing when I opened it, but a pretty tasty beer nonetheless....the cork was damn near impossible to get out of it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/victory-wi ... ale/87250/

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

BruDude wrote:Victory Wild Devil tonight. Lost a decent bit of the bottle to gushing when I opened it, but a pretty tasty beer nonetheless....the cork was damn near impossible to get out of it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/victory-wi ... ale/87250/
Good find!
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

For those of you in the Philly area - the Easton made Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA is a delicious Imperial IPA .... I would compare it to Bell's Hopslam except Simcoe is cheaper and available year-round.
Last edited by XtremeSki2001 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Had a Caldera IPA, really enjoyed and will buy again. Very good beer.
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Bells Two Hearted Ale
New Glarus Spotted Cow :o
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Yuengling Lager.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Last edited by bearcub on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin »

I rarely touch beer myself. On special occasions, I love a good bottle of Chimay. Those Belgian monks really know what they are doing.
Buster

Post by Buster »

$1.79 a quart Milwaukee's Best. Sure gives me gas, though.
CassiusKing

Post by CassiusKing »

Tipped back a Goose Island Vanilla Bourbon County Stout this past weekend. It's doing mighty fine.
Heading out of town for DL day this weekend. Will there be any other Bogleheads in attendance?
"Who cares how time advances? I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I don't drink a lot of beer so I tend to buy better quality beers. Trader Joe's has some good beers under their name which are not too expensive.

Some of my favorite beers are:

Blind Pig
1554 Enlightened Black Ale
Sierra Nevada

I have done done some home brewing but don't think you save money unless you drink ALOT of beer once you factor in time and energy but can be a fun hobby. Here is a good place to start if you want to learn about beer. They have some great podcast.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Thought I would bump this in honor of Fall beer season, namely Pumpkin Ales and Märzen (Oktoberfest) beer.

My stock is doing pretty well - this is what I have so far:

Pumkin Ales
Weyebacher Imperial Pumpkin
Dogfish Head Punkin
Southern Tier Pumking
Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale

Märzen
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Great Lakes Oktoberfest
Spaten Oktoberfest
Harpoon Oktoberfest
Victory Festbier
Brooklyn Oktoberfest
Flying Dog Dogtoberfest
Magic Hat Hextober

Brown Ales
Sierra Nevada Tumbler
Long Trail Harvest (after hearing/reading about all the help Long Trail provided to all those impacted by Hurrican Irene in VT - I always try to pick up a six pack when I'm out)
Southern Tier Harvest

Random Pickups
Dogfish Head Namaste (Witbier)
Russian River Supplication (Sour / Wild Ale)

Still Seeking the Following Fall Beer
Avery The Kaiser (Märzen)
Bell's Oktoberfest
Harpoon UFO Pumpkin
Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale
Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin
Yuengling Oktoberfest (it's a Philly beer, but I have yet to see or hear anything about it)

*Note: I do a lot of build your own six packs so most of these I only buy one bottle. For those that I've tried before and I enjoy I usually buy a 4/6pack.
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

Sly Fox Oktoberfest is worth trying (preferred it to the Festbier).

Weyerbacher Harvest is out now.
tj218

Post by tj218 »

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzen is one of the best authentic beers Oktoberfest beers out there, and it's really good.

I also do like Sam Adams version, one of the few Sam's I like.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Lagunitas Brewing Company's Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale: Too much caramel on the finishing hops. Recommend - no.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I didn't read all 5 pages of the thread, but CostCo Kirkland has the best trade-off between price and quality.

If I feel richer, Great Lakes.

If I travel to a place that sells it, Hacker Pschorr Weisse.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/76/772
matthylland

Post by matthylland »

I brew my own! Maybe just a touch cheaper than buying at the store, but even if it ends up costing a little more, I love it.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Drank Staropramen for the first time last night. It was goooood.
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

Not to interrupt you beer snobs, please do go on enjoying yourselves after this short interuption, but since this *was* at one time the "Bogleheads Beer" thread, I just wanted to drop in once again to mention:

Yuengling, 12 pack, cold, @ CVS = $9.49 (with member card) subtract my "30% off on next purchase" discount that I saved from the last store receipt = $6.65.

About 50 cents per beer, in 2012, for icy cold bottled brew...
Now that's a Boglehead beer, IMHO!

:lol:
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

I recommend Leinenkugel's beer. It is not expensive relatively speaking, and of excellent quality.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/posting ... ly&t=68506

http://leinie.com/av.html
tj218

Post by tj218 »

DRiP Guy wrote:Not to interrupt you beer snobs, please do go on enjoying yourselves after this short interuption, but since this *was* at one time the "Bogleheads Beer" thread, I just wanted to drop in once again to mention:

Yuengling, 12 pack, cold, @ CVS = $9.49 (with member card) subtract my "30% off on next purchase" discount that I saved from the last store receipt = $6.65.

Yuengling is the perfect "Boglehead Beer" except they don't sell it in my state :(

Whenever I go to NY I usually buy a case or two and bring it back.
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

tj218 wrote:
Yuengling is the perfect "Boglehead Beer" except they don't sell it in my state :(

Whenever I go to NY I usually buy a case or two and bring it back.
Well, okay then!

heh heh -- hope you guys know I am kidding with the 'beer snobs' stuff -- anytime people talk about specialty interests, it eventually can get pretty esoteric...

BTW, what is the best pilsner for less than $5,000?

Stryker

Re: Boglehead Beer

Post by Stryker »

Thetightfist wrote:What is a Boglehead beer? It should have good taste but it should be reasonable in cost, right?

What is the beer of choice for the Boglehead? Also, what is the beer of choice when splurging?

Just want to thank America for shipping up to Canada one of my favourite beers when splurging.

Fantastic stuff.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Kirkland variety pack - 4 excellent beers for $18/case
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I'll tell you what beer I would not want to drink again. You may remember that years ago, before supermarkets had their own brands of food (America's Choice, etc.), Pathmark had a "no-frills" line. White labels, black lettering. And one of their offerings was no-frills beer.

And please don't tell me that you have fond memories of drinking this stuff! :)
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Abita Beer for this boglehead. www.abita.com

Amber for a normal day and Andygator for a abnormal day.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

CassiusKing wrote:Tipped back a Goose Island Vanilla Bourbon County Stout this past weekend. It's doing mighty fine.
Heading out of town for DL day this weekend. Will there be any other Bogleheads in attendance?
I visited Goose Island in Chicago this summer. Good stuff.
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

ofcmetz wrote:Abita Beer for this boglehead.
Liked Abita, but the NOLA beers were a step up.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18854
FlyHi

Post by FlyHi »

Coors Light or Dos Equis Light
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Red Stripe
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Old Rasputin,,, Russian Imperial Stout,,, North Coast Brewery

Old Engine Oil...A stout by Havestron Brewery in Scotland
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

hicabob wrote:Kirkland variety pack - 4 excellent beers for $18/case
It's $20.29 here.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

bearcub wrote:Old Engine Oil...A stout by Havestron Brewery in Scotland
Now that is a good beer name. :D
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

Here's to you! :beer

$11.99/half case, on sale at Harris Teeter in Northern Virginia this week, except they don't have 1/2 cases. So, they let me go with a pair of 6-packs at the 1/2 case sale price. I'll be visiting them up again before Wednesday for a refill. :D

ImageImage
Last edited by tinscale on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

tinscale wrote:Here's to you! :beer

Love that stuff! don't care that it's Coors, don't care that it's cheap, it's just a good refreshing 'lawn mower' beer!
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

DRiP Guy wrote:Not to interrupt you beer snobs, please do go on enjoying yourselves after this short interuption, but since this *was* at one time the "Bogleheads Beer" thread, I just wanted to drop in once again to mention:

I've never had one, it's not sold here. I remember them selling it in the stands when we went to a couple ball games in Pittsburgh. But it's only about 4.5% alcohol and I had read that for about the same high price one could get a rail bender (6.8%) from the microbrew stand...and it was tasty too.

At home I mostly go with the seasonal beers from Point, currently that is Oktoberfest

St. Benedict's Ale in winter, Einbock in spring and Nude Beach for summer. I get these at a liquor store near work for $10.99 in a 12 pack of bottles (some now also in cans for $9.99, 12 pack)

These beers range from 5.2-6.2% alcohol, with a weighted average of 5.8%...so calculating, lets see, that is about 30% more alcohol for about 16% more money. I think I win :wink: .

Another pretty good beer, despite the appearance of the can:

I think I have gotten that for $6.99/12 pack
Buster

Post by Buster »

Tom_T wrote:I'll tell you what beer I would not want to drink again. You may remember that years ago, before supermarkets had their own brands of food (America's Choice, etc.), Pathmark had a "no-frills" line. White labels, black lettering. And one of their offerings was no-frills beer.

And please don't tell me that you have fond memories of drinking this stuff! :)
In the late 70s - early 80s HEB in central Texas(Austin) had "Generic Beer". White can with black lettering. In small print somewhere on the can(don't remember) it indicated Falstaff produced it. Purdy good and cheap too.
BGJ

Post by BGJ »

I like Elissa IPA by St. Arnolds Brewery here in Houston, Tx. It is a really good IPA for $7 per 6-pack here in Houston at Spec's.

I used to drink Thunderhead IPA, also pretty good for the price, but it no longer available at Spec's.
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

Ah, nuts. After making fun of you guys buying all those specialty beers instead of just plain old beer; today I was intrigued by the appearance of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye at my local supermarket.

Crap.

As a lapsed homebrewer, I do particularly love a hoppy brew, and one where you can taste the grain.

So, grudgingly, Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye for the win.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

A bit OT, but I usually grab a 6 pack of Guinness Stout to drink every St. Patty's day. The bottles in the past has been a standard 12 oz version. The 6 pack that I acquired a few weeks ago contained bottles with only 11.2oz! I felt ripped off. :beer
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

This boglehead likes Lienenkugel's beer. I especially like their Amber and Creamy Dark. The Sunset Wheat is good too.

It is made in Chippewa Falls and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And it isn't real expensive either but definitely quality.