Raw Almonds

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Raw Almonds

Post by Munchkin Man »

Greetings To All:

The Munchkin Man has recently taken up the dietary practice of eating a handful of raw whole almonds every day for a "healthy" snack.

The Munchkin Man is hoping that doing so will help the Munchkin Man get rid of the Munchkin Man's addiction to potato chips.

The Munchkin Man bought a new package of raw whole almonds from Harris Teeter today.

The Munchkin Man placed 20 almonds each into different resealable plastic snack bags.

The Munchkin Man has read that raw whole almonds are effective at lowering one's "bad" cholesterol and raising one's "good" cholesterol.

The Munchkin Man likes the Munchkin Man's almonds raw with nothing added.

The Munchkin Man doesn't like any type of almond that has been roasted, salted, sugared, glazed, or flavored in any way.

The Munchkin Man just likes them whole, plain, and raw.

The Munchkin Man also wants to make sure that the Munchkin Man is buying the healthiest almonds available.

The Munchkin Man has recently read some positive reviews about the following source for buying healthy raw almonds:

http://www.organicpastures.com/products_almonds.html

Are any of you into raw almonds?

If so, are you familiar with this comany?

Do any of you know of any important information about the eating of raw almonds that the Munchkin Man might not know about and should know about?

If so, the Munchkin Man would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Good luck to all.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I love almonds. I love 'em best when found in milk chocolate bars. Next best in in Almost Joy bars. Then perhaps in a mixture commonly called "gorp".
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hello Munchkin Man,

I like raw almonds, and because of that I tend to over-eat them. Instead, I carry raw walnuts for a snack. Both almonds and walnuts contain some good nutrition and are complementary.

The good thing about snacking on nuts is that they do not require refrigeration and have high caloric value per unit weight. The latter means that it is easy to carry them. But it also means that one can get too many calories from them. Still, raw nuts are much better than potato chips.

I buy organic nuts at Trader Joe's.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

livesoft wrote:I love almonds. I love 'em best when found in milk chocolate bars. Next best in in Almost Joy bars. Then perhaps in a mixture commonly called "gorp".
Peanuts, on the other hand, are best enjoyed with a coating of chocolate and a thin candy shell.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

I like almonds too! :D Mine usually comes coated in chocolate though :(
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

Love roasted almonds. Eat very little meat, so nuts are a big part of my diet.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I love any kind of nut, but like them roasted better than raw. I to eat a hand full of 170 degree roasted almonds.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

In the year 2007, law says that raw almonds are to be pasteurized. There are 2 methods, steam or chemical. Organic almonds are supposed to be steamed, but I think that is like the milk BGH thing, don't ask, don't tell. I buy raw from the food coop, and were told they were steamed, TJ's says they are steamed. I use almond milk on my cereal, with a hand full of raw on top.
CV

Almonds

Post by CV »

I started eating them to improve my diet, and buy them from Sam's Club. Frankly, I don't like them, but I do it for health reasons.

Munchkin Man, did you ever see the Seinfeld episode about the guy named Jimmy?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I added a combination of almonds and walnuts for similar health and nutritional reasons. I do not think there are great differences between the source/type of plain almonds.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

My only concern is over snacking on these raw almonds. I get mine from Whole foods.

Calories: 180
Fat Calories: 135

That is lot of calories from fat (75%). So be careful not to overeat.
Otherwise they are an excellent source of protein.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Almonds are very nutritious and high in fiber. I enjoy them raw and eat 15-16 per serving.

Munchkin Man - Only one thing to be aware of - if you have any type of diverticular disease (in the colon) raw almonds are very hard and can cause havoc with your colon. People are warned not to eat nuts (especially almonds) if they are prone to this problem.
scouter

Post by scouter »

Funny, I had a mouthful of almonds when I saw this post! I'm enjoying them as an appetizer with a draught Guinness Stout. I eat a handful of almonds every day. Among other things, they're a good source of antioxidants.
Sammy_M

Post by Sammy_M »

Trader Joes has wasabi covered almonds. Tough not to eat 14 servings in one sitting.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Almonds, walnuts and pistachios were recommended to me (in addition to a high-fiber, low-fat and low-salt diet) some years ago to help get my cholesterol down without medication - and it's down. Also, here's what the Mayo Clinic's Web site has to say about nuts:

"Walnuts, almonds and other nuts can reduce blood cholesterol. Rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, walnuts also help keep blood vessels healthy.

"According to the Food and Drug Administration, eating about a handful (1.5 ounces, or 42.5 grams) a day of most nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, some pine nuts, pistachio nuts and walnuts, may reduce your risk of heart disease. Just make sure the nuts you eat aren't salted or coated with sugar.

"All nuts are high in calories, so a handful will do. To avoid eating too many nuts and gaining weight, replace foods high in saturated fat with nuts. For example, instead of using cheese, meat or croutons in your salad, add a handful of walnuts or almonds."

:D
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I don't eat nuts often, but I just saw an episode of "Bizarre Foods" (Season 6 free on iTunes) where Andrew Zimmerman was in Syria and they served some ice cream topped with pistachios and cashews. Wow, looks very good!
Last edited by cheesepep on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theresa

Post by theresa »

Whole Foods carries sprouted almonds in their bulk section which are delicious. A dietician who works at the store said the sprouting makes them more digestible.

Theresa
Uninvested

Post by Uninvested »

As a doctor, I have the following recommendation for teh Munchkin Man. Do not buy from that store because you really should get them steamed. The law was put in for a reason. Steaming will not detract from the benefits of almonds for teh Munchkin Man. Also, look into almond milk but check the ingredients. If it is 40 cals per serving, that is good. If more, there is sugar, sweeteners, etc. Almond breeze is one type. Also, there is a far simplerr way to increase your HDL and decrease your LDL. Any statin like simvistatin or lipitor (atorvastatin) soon to go generic at low dose will do a world of good.
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

Uninvested wrote: Also, there is a far simplerr way to increase your HDL and decrease your LDL. Any statin like simvistatin or lipitor (atorvastatin) soon to go generic at low dose will do a world of good.
I am no doctor but this would not be my first method of improving cholesterol levels. I would favor exercise, a diet low in bad fats and an allowance for good fats such as nuts and fish, etc.
Mike
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Munchkin Man,

Congrats on adding a healthy snack to your diet! I like potato chips too but seldom eat them, they are too fattening and have way too much salt but that's why they taste so good isn't it!

As a vegetarian I eat many different nuts. Nuts are very healthy for you with many benefical aspects but are high in calories so don't go over board. I love almonds but I buy roasted almonds at Trader Joe's. I never buy any salted nuts though they do taste great!
stratton

Post by stratton »

VictoriaF wrote:I like raw almonds
Victoria is "nuts" about nuts. :-)

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
dbonnett

Post by dbonnett »

Jimmy likes almonds

Jimmy eats several mouthfuls a day

Jimmy thinks the Munchkin Man should continue to eat his almonds

Jimmy also recommends eating raw hulled sunflower seeds as well as raw almonds

Jimmy notices that this combination gives Jimmy a lot of gastrointestinal turbo action
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

EagertoLearnMore wrote:Almonds are very nutritious and high in fiber. I enjoy them raw and eat 15-16 per serving.

Munchkin Man - Only one thing to be aware of - if you have any type of diverticular disease (in the colon) raw almonds are very hard and can cause havoc with your colon. People are warned not to eat nuts (especially almonds) if they are prone to this problem.
Greetings EagertoLearnMore:

Thank you very much for the information and for the warning about diverticular disease.

The Munchkin Man has never been diagnosed with such a disease.

Nevertheless, the Munchkin Man shall be cautious.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Sammy_M wrote:Trader Joes has wasabi covered almonds. Tough not to eat 14 servings in one sitting.
Greetings Sammy_W:

Wow!

Although the Munchkin Man had stated that the Munchkin Man likes the Munchkin Man's almonds plain and unflavored, the Munchkin Man is tempted to try some of these.

The Munchkin Man loves anything with wasabi, especially wasabi mashed potatoes.

There is a Trader Joe's supermarket located about a 45-minute drive from the Munchkin Man's apartment.

The Munchkin Man has never been there, but now the Munchkin Man is very tempted to take a drive out there and buy some.

Thanks for the tip.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Sam I Am wrote:Munchkin Man, I have ordered various items from these folks:

http://www.bulkfoods.com/

While I have never ordered almonds, I have ordered other nuts and cereal grains.

I don't really care for raw almonds, but I do throw in a handful of walnuts into my oatmeal every morning, along with a capsule of cinnamon (sans the capsule, of course!).

Stick with your efforts to improve your health! It will pay good dividends for you, I hope!

I had to work hard to get my A1C measurement down again once I stopped cheating on my diet. I have oatmeal just about every morning, it has really helped me with my Type 2 diabetes.

Sam I Am
Greetings Sam I Am:

Thank you very much for your message, including the link to the company you provided above.

The Munchkin Man would also like to congratulate you on the success you have been having with your Type 2 Diabetes.

The Munchkin Man has also begun to eat oatmeal for breakfast several times a week.

The Munchkin Man has been starting off with the Kashi brand in the "instant" packets.

After the oatmeal cooks up in the microwave, the Munchkin Man adds a splash of low fat vanilla flavored soy milk.

Then the Munchkin Man adds three teaspoons of ground flax seeds.

Finally, the Munchkin Man sprinkles a few fresh blueberries on top.

The Munchkin Man has been enjoying it so far.

Healthwise, it sure beats all of those breakfast platters the Munchkin Man had been ordering at Hardee's and McDonald's.

The Munchkin Man has completely cut those out.

Thanks again for your message and information.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Uninvested wrote:As a doctor, I have the following recommendation for teh Munchkin Man. Do not buy from that store because you really should get them steamed. The law was put in for a reason. Steaming will not detract from the benefits of almonds for teh Munchkin Man. Also, look into almond milk but check the ingredients. If it is 40 cals per serving, that is good. If more, there is sugar, sweeteners, etc. Almond breeze is one type. Also, there is a far simplerr way to increase your HDL and decrease your LDL. Any statin like simvistatin or lipitor (atorvastatin) soon to go generic at low dose will do a world of good.
Greetings Uninvested:

Thank you very much for your message and for the advice you provided above.

Two months ago, the Munchkin Man's doctor told the Munchkin Man to start a light exercise program and to adopt a low fat died.

This is what the Munchkin Man has been trying to do.

The Munchkin Man goes back to the doctor in four months.

If the Munchkin Man's cholesterol levels have not improved, then the doctor will probably put the Munchkin Man on some type of statin drug.

However, the Munchkin Man is going to try the Munchkin Man's best to avoid this route, by sticking with the Munchkin Man's exercise program and low fat diet.

Many thanks also for your suggestion of the Almond Breeze brand of almond milk and to avoid any brand which contains more than 40 calories per serving.

The Munchkin Man is going to check into buying some.

Thanks again for your message and information.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

SVariance1 wrote:
Uninvested wrote: Also, there is a far simplerr way to increase your HDL and decrease your LDL. Any statin like simvistatin or lipitor (atorvastatin) soon to go generic at low dose will do a world of good.
I am no doctor but this would not be my first method of improving cholesterol levels. I would favor exercise, a diet low in bad fats and an allowance for good fats such as nuts and fish, etc.
Greetings SVariance1:

Thank you very much for your message and advice.

The Munchkin Man is pleased to inform you that the Munchkin Man has started a light exercise program at the YMCA.

In addition, the Munchkin Man has cut out all fast food hamburger meals, including the ones at Five Guys, which the Munchkin Man loves.

The Munchkin Man is now eating fish every chance the Munchkin Man gets.

Last night, for example, the Munchkin Man drove by a local restaurant which caters to a very health conscious crowd.

They always have a "special" listed on a large chalkboard outside.

Last night's "special" was blackened salmon with mashed potatoes and broccoli, with a side salad and a slice of multi-grain bread.

The Munchkin Man stopped inside and placed an order to go.

The Munchkin Man ate half of it last night and the other half for lunch today.

Thanks again for your message.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Sometimes I feel like a nut.
Sometimes I dont.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

zaplunken wrote:Munchkin Man,

Congrats on adding a healthy snack to your diet! I like potato chips too but seldom eat them, they are too fattening and have way too much salt but that's why they taste so good isn't it!

As a vegetarian I eat many different nuts. Nuts are very healthy for you with many benefical aspects but are high in calories so don't go over board. I love almonds but I buy roasted almonds at Trader Joe's. I never buy any salted nuts though they do taste great!
Greetings zaplunken:

Thank you very much for your message.

Salty and crunchy snacks have always been the Munchkin Man's biggest temptation.

For some reason, the Munchkin Man was born with a "salt tooth" instead of a "sweet tooth."

And the Munchkin Man's favorite "salty" snack has always been potato chips.

The Munchkin Man usually has no trouble turning down sweets.

The Munchkin Man can also relate to the temptation of "going overboard" on the nuts.

The Munchkin Man has done this many times before.

This is why the Munchkin Man bought a box of these sealable snack bags and placed 20 almonds in each one.

The Munchkin Man wanted to limit and control the portion size of the Munchkin Man's almond snack.

The Munchkin Man is now thinking of buying some raw walnuts as well.

For some reason, the Munchkin Man has always found the taste of raw walnuts to be rather bland.

However, this is for the Munchkin Man's health instead of the Munchkin Man's pleasure.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

Raw almonds carry a significant risk of salmonella poisoning. Post harvest pasteurization kills the salmonella without cooking the almond, providing the health benefits without the risks. I would not trust any vendor who claims that their almonds are somehow special and are free from salmonella. I would alert the Munchkin Man to look for pasteurized raw almonds for optimum health, and avoid unpasteurized.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

dm200 wrote:I added a combination of almonds and walnuts for similar health and nutritional reasons. I do not think there are great differences between the source/type of plain almonds.
Greetings dm200:

Thank you very much for your post.

The Munchkin Man has been reading a lot of positive reports about the health benefits of walnuts as well.

This discussion has now persuaded the Munchkin Man to buy some raw walnuts this week as well.

Although the Munchkin Man has always found the taste of raw walnuts to be on the bland side, they do seem to have the advantage of being easier to chew and digest.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

dbonnett wrote:Jimmy likes almonds

Jimmy eats several mouthfuls a day

Jimmy thinks the Munchkin Man should continue to eat his almonds

Jimmy also recommends eating raw hulled sunflower seeds as well as raw almonds

Jimmy notices that this combination gives Jimmy a lot of gastrointestinal turbo action
Greetings Jimmy:

The Munchkin Man is very happy to hear that you have been eating and enjoying your almonds.

Many years ago, the Munchkin Man tried eating hulled sunflower seeds.

The Munchkin Man always ate too many of them.

As a retired school teacher, the Munchkin Man discovered that many of the Munchkin Man's students liked to eat sunflower seeds as well.

However, they always ate the ones that came in their shells.

They would crack them open in class and deposit all the sunflower seed shells in their desks.

This used to drive the Munchkin Man crazy.

Those sunflower seed shells always made an awful mess.

Therefore, the Munchkin Man may pass on the sunflower seeds.

For the extra "gastrointestinal turbo action" you mentioned, the Munchkin Man may try prunes.

Keep eating your almonds.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

VictoriaF wrote:Hello Munchkin Man,

I like raw almonds, and because of that I tend to over-eat them. Instead, I carry raw walnuts for a snack. Both almonds and walnuts contain some good nutrition and are complementary.

The good thing about snacking on nuts is that they do not require refrigeration and have high caloric value per unit weight. The latter means that it is easy to carry them. But it also means that one can get too many calories from them. Still, raw nuts are much better than potato chips.

I buy organic nuts at Trader Joe's.

Victoria
Greetings Victoria:

Thank you very much for your message.

Now the Munchkin Man has become completely persuaded.

The Munchkin Man is going to take the drive out to Trader Joe's this week and buy some organic walnuts as well.

The Munchkin Man has also read that almonds and walnuts complement each other and that they benefit the heart and cholesterol levels in different ways.

This will be the Munchkin Man's first trip ever to a Trader Joe's.

The Munchkin Man will be looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

Grasshopper wrote:In the year 2007, law says that raw almonds are to be pasteurized. There are 2 methods, steam or chemical. Organic almonds are supposed to be steamed, but I think that is like the milk BGH thing, don't ask, don't tell. I buy raw from the food coop, and were told they were steamed, TJ's says they are steamed. I use almond milk on my cereal, with a hand full of raw on top.
Greetings Grasshopper:

Thank you for your message.

The Munchkin Man was reading about the pasteurization issue issue this morning on another message board.

It seems like there is still some degree of disagreement about this issue.

The Munchkin Man has not figured it out yet.

In the meantime, the Munchkin Man is going to continue with the almonds and try to buy some almond milk as well.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

epilnk wrote:Raw almonds carry a significant risk of salmonella poisoning. Post harvest pasteurization kills the salmonella without cooking the almond, providing the health benefits without the risks. I would not trust any vendor who claims that their almonds are somehow special and are free from salmonella. I would alert the Munchkin Man to look for pasteurized raw almonds for optimum health, and avoid unpasteurized.
Greetings eplink:

Yikes!

Thank you very much for the warning.

Just when the Munchkin Man thought the Munchkin Man had this figured out, now the Munchkin Man may have to take a step backwards and reassess this situation.

The Munchkin Man wants to do this right.

Can you recommend a source of the type of pasteurized raw almonds you are referring to above?

Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

Munchkin Man wrote:Can you recommend a source of the type of pasteurized raw almonds you are referring to above?
Most almonds are pasteurized these days - you're probably fine. But there are raw foods purists who claim that pasteurization - which kills salmonella microbes on the surface - is similar to cooking and interferes with nutrients. Just check your source - anyone selling unpasteurized almonds is probably bragging about it, but they're the minority.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

I also enjoy eating almonds daily. Since I'm pretty active with my job all day I seem to get hungry between meals quite a bit. I've found almonds for their health benefit and great taste fill the bill for a great snack. I buy varied flavors. Grocery stores have caught on and you can usually find almonds cooked all different ways.

Planters makes a cocoa powder and cinnamon covered variety that is pretty good. Also like their olive oil and sea salt ones. I think Emerald Nuts makes one of the best roasted variety.

I agree with the other posters that Trader Joes's is a great place to buy almonds as well. Sadly there is not one in my city.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
kraftwerk

Post by kraftwerk »

I don't think you can buy raw almonds at the store - they are still pasteurized, just not roasted. Probably a good thing when we see these e-coli outbreaks from organic produce. I eat them all the time along with walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts. Don't eat too many brazil nuts though, you can get a selenium overdose.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

epilnk wrote:
Munchkin Man wrote:Can you recommend a source of the type of pasteurized raw almonds you are referring to above?
Most almonds are pasteurized these days - you're probably fine. But there are raw foods purists who claim that pasteurization - which kills salmonella microbes on the surface - is similar to cooking and interferes with nutrients. Just check your source - anyone selling unpasteurized almonds is probably bragging about it, but they're the minority.
Greetings eplink:

The Munchkin Man would like to thank you for the words of reassurance you have provided for the Munchkin Man above.

The following is a link to one online source whose company appears to be particularly proud of selling unpasteurized almonds:

http://www.organicpastures.com/products_almonds.html

This is actually the same website the Munchkin Man provided in the Munchkin Man's original post in this topic thread.

However, the Munchkin Man had not yet noticed at the time that their raw almonds are advertised as "Never Pasteurized."

Please note their statement of opinion that "pasteurization and mislabeling pasteurized almonds as “raw” should be a crime against both farmers and consumers."

Wow!

The following article, which addresses the pasteurization controversy, is also cited elsewhere in their website:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... =printable

The Munchkin Man still does not know what to make of all of this.

Do you know if the position expressed in this article has been debunked?

The Munchkin Man would welcome your honest opinion on this article.

Thanks again for your message and helpful information.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
vtalyan

Post by vtalyan »

Hi Munchkin Man,

Try this - soak the almonds in a cup of water overnight and eat them in the morning. Almonds will be softer and more flavorful.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

vtalyan wrote:Hi Munchkin Man,

Try this - soak the almonds in a cup of water overnight and eat them in the morning. Almonds will be softer and more flavorful.
Greetings vtalyan:

That sounds like an excellent idea!

This should make the almonds easier to chew and digest.

Thank you!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

I'm a gastroenterologist...NUTS DO NOT CAUSE DIVERTICULITIS (INFECTION OF A DIVERTICULUM)!!! THAT IS A NOW CONSIDERED A WIVES TALE!!!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

DAK wrote:I'm a gastroenterologist...NUTS DO NOT CAUSE DIVERTICULITIS (INFECTION OF A DIVERTICULUM)!!! THAT IS A NOW CONSIDERED A WIVES TALE!!!
I have this condition (diverticulosis) and eat high fiber, including nuts. I have no problems with the nuts or the condition at all, as far as I know.

What I have read is that there is a potential, depending on the severity, for small seeds and nuts tolodge in these "pockets", thereby causing problems.

Decades ago, low fiber was advised for conditions that now call for the opposite, HIGH fiber.
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

DAK wrote:I'm a gastroenterologist...NUTS DO NOT CAUSE DIVERTICULITIS (INFECTION OF A DIVERTICULUM)!!! THAT IS A NOW CONSIDERED A WIVES TALE!!!
Greetings DAK:

Thank you so very much for this information!

The Munchkin Man tends to be a bit of a hypochondriac and was beginning to worry.

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
Opponent Process

Post by Opponent Process »

if you eat enough almonds they start to taste like cherries.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
Topic Author
Munchkin Man

Post by Munchkin Man »

dm200 wrote:
I have this condition (diverticulosis) and eat high fiber, including nuts. I have no problems with the nuts or the condition at all, as far as I know.

What I have read is that there is a potential, depending on the severity, for small seeds and nuts tolodge in these "pockets", thereby causing problems.

Decades ago, low fiber was advised for conditions that now call for the opposite, HIGH fiber.
Greetingd dm200:

Thank you very much for your comments above.

The Munchkin Man hopes you are doing well with keeping your diverticulitis under control.

Your mention of "small seeds and nuts" reminded the Munchkin Man of the Munchkin Man's hippie days.

Back in those days, the Munchkin Man used to make the Munchkin Man's own homemade raw granola.

One of the ingredients the Munchkin Man used was flax seeds.

The Munchkin Man did not know that you were supposed to grind them up.

Those flax seeds used to get stuck way up into the Munchkin Man's teeth.

The Munchkin Man would also often "feel" those flax seeds inside the Munchkin Man's stomach, giving the Munchkin Man an uncomfortable feeling.

So, the Munchkin Man gave up making the granola.

The Munchkin Man now uses ground flax seeds on occasion to sprinkle on the Munchkin Man's oatmeal.

Thanks again for your comments.

Take very good care.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man
chaz

Post by chaz »

"The Munchkin Man just likes them whole, plain, and raw."

Very good.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Munchkin Man wrote:As a retired school teacher, the Munchkin Man discovered that many of the Munchkin Man's students liked to eat sunflower seeds as well.
Did the Munchkin Man teach English? :roll:

Typical classroom dialogue:

Students, the Munchkin Man wishes you a very good morning.

The Munchkin Man will now do a roll call.

The Munchkin Man says open your textbook to Chapter 10.

Johnny, the Munchkin Man will send you to the principal’s’ office if you shoot one more spitball.

The Munchkin Man is giving you Chapter 11 for tonight's homework assignment.

The Munchkin Man will give a surprise quiz next week.

With the exception of Johnny, the Munchkin Man appreciates you attentiveness in today’s class.

Mike
dbonnett

Post by dbonnett »

Jimmy also had whole flax seeds get caught in his gum flaps

Jimmy thought he had an abysses on two occasions and came very close to an extraction and having an implant.

Jimmy now grinds his whole flax seed