ORLANDO Chapter Bogleheads

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Rajsx

ORLANDO Chapter Bogleheads

Post by Rajsx » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi Friends,

Let us start talking about the January end meeting, possibly Thursday Jan 26(I will confirm later) in Downtown Orlando, same time 6.30PM, stay tuned for the venue. - Please let me know, if you have any suggestions about a interesting article or write up you would like discussed. The article can be about investing, personal finance, any Vanguard MF, etc...

Thanks, plan to get together end of this month. More to come.....

Raj
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

orlandoman

Re: Orlando Chapter Bogleheads

Post by orlandoman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:26 am

Count me in!
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

Cava

Re: ORLANDO Chapter Bogleheads

Post by Cava » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:28 am

Count me in too. I can't really think of anything to discuss right now but will keep my eyes open for something.

John

cessna210

Post by cessna210 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Last edited by cessna210 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Count me in.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:00 pm

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investme ... management

This above article will be well suited for further discussions, thanks Jim for the suggestion.

Let us meet on THURSDAY, JAN 26th at 6.30 pm at -

Panera Bread
227 N Eola Drive
Orlando, 32806
(407) 481 1060

Thanks & regards, I look forward to a fun meeting & your opinions about the above read up.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Good luck to the new Orlando Local Chapter on it's first meeting!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks much Mel

Regards

hudbiker

Post by hudbiker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Please include me in for the meeting 1/26 downtown Orlando.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:14 am

Yes Hudbiker,

Welcome, please come.

OPEN INVITATION to anyone in Orlando area, like -
- Bogleheads
- Friends of Bogleheads
- Anybody who is curious about managing their own investments
- "" """ wants to get out of using Traders to manage their money

Let us meet on THURSDAY, JAN 26th at 6.30 pm at -

Panera Bread
227 N Eola Drive
Orlando, 32806
(407) 481 1060

-

jml39

Post by jml39 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:44 am

I am coming!

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Bump to confirm that the meeting is on for tomorrow. How will we identify each other when we get there?

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi mptfan, members & non members,

Yes the meeting is ON tomorrow.
Panara Bread at Lake Eola is not that big, you will see our group/or we will see you.

Tomorrow, THURSDAY, JAN 26th at 6.30 pm at -
Panera Bread
227 N Eola Drive
Orlando, 32806
(407) 481 1060

The Article for discussion is -
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investme ... management

Thanks & regards

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm

We had a good meeting last night at Panera Bread in downtown Orlando, we doubled the number of members from the 1st meeting, so that is good.

Attendees were - rajsx, orlandoman, cava, cessna, mptfan, hudbiker, jml39, les and gdbryan. We are all at different stages in life which facilitates learning from each other & gain different perspectives. We have among us a Boglehead who wrote chapter 10, involving retirement saving strategies in the Boglehead Book. It was a fun bunch of Bogleheads & I enjoyed the evening. The meeting started about 6.30 PM and went on for close to 1 and one half hours.

Apart from discussing the article scheduled for discussion defining risk, we went over the Asset Allocations of each of us apart from round of introductions & getting to know each other.

Our next meeting will be at 6.30PM on Thursday March the 29th.
There after we plan to meet at 6.30PM on the last Thursday of every other month, i.e May, July and so forth.
The general meeting format will be to discuss one financial write up which would help us learn different aspects of finance & then open the floor for other discussion. I request article suggestions for discussions from our members when they find any thing interesting which they come across and think will be helpful to share with the Club Members.
I am going to post in this same thread any further announcements, so that all members can subscribe to this thread to be up on any info about further meetings etc....

We are still looking for an appropriate place with enough seating and parking in a little more quite atmosphere . I am going to look into reserving a large enough room in the Orange County Library (which has an adjoining Parking Garage) in downtown Orlando, or some other suitable place to conduct the March meeting at. I imagine these start up hiccups about finding the place for the meeting will soon be gone once we find some suitable venue.

With thanks & regards .

Cava

Post by Cava » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for taking the time to host our local chapter Raj. It was wonderful meeting everyone last night and I look forward to future Boglehead discussions in a couple months.

John

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks John,

As an aside members, this was the Kiplinger write up I had mentioned last night about Vanguard Variable Annuity.

Thanks and regards

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Congratulations for a successfull startup to raj and all the Orlando Bogleheads. Hopefully I'll be able to attend one of your future meetings.

Juniormint

Post by Juniormint » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I missed the first meeting by finding out about it a day late. Oh well, I hope to be there for the next and future ones. :)

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:56 pm

-Ooops, the link to above mentioned Kiplinger article is - http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/value/ ... nuity.html

-Thanks Mel, for your encouragement & best wishes, yes that would be great if could make it to a meeting, giving us a chance to learn from you.

-Junior mint, next meeting is on last Thursday of March, which would be the 29th, follow this thread for the Venue

Thanks and regards

hudbiker

Post by hudbiker » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:12 pm

During our last meeting, somenone had stated that they had gone to the money show in Orlando and they though it was worthwhile.
Since the show is this week, I plan on attending one day, but would like some ideas about the best day and presentations to attend.
Thanks!

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Hello Orlando Bogleheads,

The up coming scheduled meeting is at 6.30 PM sharp, on March 29th, yes the last Thursday in March is 2 weeks away, I want to open the preparations of the meeting with -

1) If any of you want to discuss a particular good financial write up, which you think may be of interest to our boglehead group, please send the link or copy and paste right in this thread.

2)I am trying to reserve a large enough room at the Orange County Library in downtown Orlando, depending on the head count of the persons who write back their plans to attend the meeting. We hope and try to accommodate everybody and anybody who is interested, curious, newbie, veteran or a practicing Boglehead. Please come and learn from us or teach a few things to us about managing finances.

3)Please RSVP early if you can, which will help me get a head count early enough to choose the appropriate size place.

We had a great meeting the last time with different perspectives of managing asset allocation and defining risk of an investment, I look forward again to an interesting and spirited discussion this time also, so folks I am waiting for the RSVPs, and more the merrier.

I will be following this thread closely so any questions, feedback both good and not so good, any opinions, please post in this thread. I will be communicating the venue of the meeting in due time, and as soon as the place of the meeting firms up.

GO Orlando BOGLEHEADS !!!!!

Thanks and regards

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:34 pm

NO RSVPs YET,

Common Guys, get to the website and see this

GDBryan

Post by GDBryan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Sorry Raj. Yes I will be attending.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 pm

So far, Yes RSVPs have come in from GDBryan, mptfan and hoosierjim are coming. Please post your RSVPs right in this thread.

Thanks and regards

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 am

BETTER OFF WITH VANGUARD THAN GOLDMAN SACHS and such......,

Let us discuss the current back lash on Goldman Sachs business culture on the UPCOMING MEETING, being discussed in investor circles and currently in print widely, unless we find another more interesting topic to schedule.

These two write ups are from the current running posts on Bogleheads.com,

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 57085.html

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/03/the_ant ... gle+Reader

Thanks and regards

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:59 pm

- I was at the Orange County Library in Downtown today, trying to book a Room for the upcoming meeting of March 29th, well I need the help from one of us who has a Orange County Library Card to book a room for us. I live in Clermont ..i.e Lake County and they say I cannot book the room.
- I think some of our Chapter members do live in Orange County(except Winter Park and Maitland), I need one such individual to walk into the Library and get the Library Card for free, with their Driver's License showing them the proof of residence. Then we can book the room. We may have to pay the Charge of $25 for using the room for 2 hrs - 6 to 8 PM, which should be fine as we meet mostly for not more than 1hr and 30mins, starting at 6.30PM. The library closes at 8 PM. We can pitch in $2 each to collect that $25. The reading rooms which are free to reserve can accommodate 6 people.
- I think the Orange County Library in downtown Orlando is a good central location for every one to drive to, there is a convenient parking Garage across the street from the Library.
- So guys WHO WOULD STEP UP and VOLUNTEER to go and get the LIBRARY CARD ??? I need some help here.
- Most of the above info is given at the Library site, OCLS.info

Thanks and regards

hudbiker

Post by hudbiker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:56 pm

I will be attending the meeting 3/29/2012 @ 6:30PM.
I live in Winter Park and could reserve a room @ the WP Library.
Right now, I am researching the Mark Street Senior Center which is right off I-4 and will get back with you ASAP about their rates and rooms.
Thanks,
Ted

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks Ted,

I appreciate your help

Thanks & regards

philcoffaro

Post by philcoffaro » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm new, but if this is still on I will try to be there.
Phil

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:52 pm

I am arranging the venue and soon will be posting it here, please follow.

Hi Ted(above), any news yet from you about the venue you were looking into.
You are welcome Phil.

Orange County Library - Downtown Orlando has a $25 charge for the room for 2 hrs, so members please be ready to pitch in a few bucks each for the Library Fee.

Thanks and regards

philcoffaro

Post by philcoffaro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks, Rajsx. I'm looking forward to meeting you all. Still looking for the details on the time and place though.
Phil

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Orlando Chapter Bogleheads - MEETING

March 29th, Thursday, at 6 to 7.30 PM ( moved up from 6.30) at ORANGE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY, downtown Orlando in the Meeting Room on 3rd floor.

Orlando Public Library
101 E. Central Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32801
http://www.ocls.info/orlandopubliclibrary

Topic for discussion - 2 articles -

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ti ... 57085.html

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/03/the_ant ... gle+Reader

The Library Meeting Room is available till 7.30, so the meeting time was adjusted up.

Many thanks to John for arranging the meeting room at the Library,

Parking Garage - is across the street, and a small restaurant on the ground floor of the Library.

Please RSVP on this thread, but do come if you get the chance even if you did not RSVP.

Anyone in Central Florida who follows/is curious about the Boglehead (John Bogle) philosophy is welcome.

There is no fee to attend the meeting apart from a small contribution of few dollars each to total up to the Library Meeting Room Fee of $25 on each meeting.

Learn some or teach us some about investing at the meeting. The only purpose of the meetings is to dispel the myths about investing and help each other understand about index fund investing, keeping investing simple, keeping shenanigans away... etc...

Any questions ? please post on this thread to get answers

Thanks & regards

GDBryan

Post by GDBryan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:20 pm

See you there!

philcoffaro

Post by philcoffaro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Great! I will see you there.
Phil

hudbiker

Post by hudbiker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am

See Thursday @ 6:00 PM and thanks for all your hard work.
Ted

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 am

Will be there - looking forward to it.

philcoffaro

Post by philcoffaro » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I really enjoyed meeting you all this evening. I look forward to reading the Wiki and learning from you all in the coming meetings.
Could someone post a list of names in some kind of order (clockwise or something)? I would greatly appreciate it. I was the 5th guy from right - 3rd from the left.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:51 pm

We had our meeting on last Thursday of the month - 29th March at the Meeting Room at the Orange County Library in downtown Orlando and I found it to be a very suitable place and possibly could be the place for future meetings. The seating was comfortable and the parking was convenient. We had John, rajsx, hudbiker, Hoosierjim and welcomed 3 new members attending the chapter meeting for the first time and who were Phil, Jack and Mike .

The topics discussed were the recent resignation of Mr Smith from Goldman Sachs and how the investors were referred as "Muppets" and how other such companies fleece their clients putting their interests first and above their client's. We are thankful of finding a investor owned company - Vanguard or/and index investing as the mainstay of our investments although we do have other ways of investing as well.

Each one of us spoke of their investing experiences before coming/thinking of coming to the boglehead way of index investing, low expense ratios, most diversification, investing for the long run, tuning out the day to day market gyrations, the media noise, the frequent churning and keeping nefarious advisers away from our hard earned money.

Each attendee spoke about the mistakes and costly blunders they have made in the past with their investments, and again we were all at different levels of understanding the bag of worms called investing and we (hopefully) learned something new from each other or at least had a chance to vent about/discuss our investments.
Each of us contributed a few dollars to total up the Library meeting room fee of $25 and we thank John for becoming a new member and reserving the Library meeting room for us to have our meeting.

Wishing the Orlando and all Bogleheads the very best till we meet again in 2 months on the last Thursday of May.

Thanks and regards.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Will Mickey and Donald be attending?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Fri May 04, 2012 9:40 pm

I have started thinking about our ORLANDO BOGLEHEADS MEETING on the last Thursday of this month, May 31st .

As last time we plan to meet at the Orlando Downtown LIBRARY at 6PM.

Any ideas/thoughts for the topic/write up discussion ?? please let me know on this thread.

Thanks and regards

Raj

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Tue May 08, 2012 3:49 pm

OK Guys !! RSVP time, then depending on the number of people, we will book the venue.

Thanks and regards

GDBryan

Post by GDBryan » Tue May 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Unfortunately, we are leaving the next day for a long trip and so cannot make it.

threecs

Post by threecs » Wed May 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Is this still happening? Thanks! -Cathy

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Wed May 30, 2012 5:58 pm

No Cathy, it is not happening. Not enough interest/RSVPs to organize a meeting.

Thanks

Raj

coolguy954

Post by coolguy954 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 pm

lets start this up again!!!!!!!!!!!

Rangeros

Post by Rangeros » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:22 am

We're new to Orlando and would love to join. Is this chapter going?

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:58 am

Hi every body,

Let some one else take the Lead, due to personal reasons I am unable to be the Coordinator.

Thanks

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:58 am

Rajsx wrote:Hi every body,

Let some one else take the Lead, due to personal reasons I am unable to be the Coordinator.

Thanks
If someone wants to volunteer to take over as the new Local Chapter Coordinator, please contact me via PM with a name and email address that you'll use for this purpose.

The Chapter Coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, he/she simply communicates with the Chapter members regarding meeting dates, location, agenda etc. This sub-forum can be used for those purposes.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks Mel

Trex27

Post by Trex27 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 am

Hi,

Is this local chapter still active ?

Thanks.