New Orlando Boglehead Chapter

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Rajsx

New Orlando Boglehead Chapter

Post by Rajsx » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I think it will be good to meet periodically with local Central Florida Bogleheads to exchange ideas, light social & to discuss investments. Anyone interested to join & form a local chapter ???

Thanks & regards
Last edited by Rajsx on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

GDBryan

Re: Anyone in Orlando area interested ???

Post by GDBryan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Add me as one who is interested. I went to the meeting with Rick Ferri (last year?) and though it was great.

HoosierJim

Re: Anyone in Orlando area interested ???

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:50 pm

I would be interested

Cava

Re: Anyone in Orlando area interested - BOGLEHEAD CHAPTER ??

Post by Cava » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Add me to the list too.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:20 am

I would be interested, also.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:33 am

IS there a list where all Boglehead chapters are listed? How do I find something close to my place?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 am

ejvyas wrote:IS there a list where all Boglehead chapters are listed? How do I find something close to my place?
Here you go: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 214844&z=4
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 am

It appears you have the required five Bogleheads who want to form an Orlando chapter. All I need now is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter coordinator (that person doesn't have to be an investment guru) and I'll assign you the next available chapter number and you'll be in business. The coordinator simply communicates with the members about meeting dates, locations and agendas and that can all be done right here on the Local Chapters sub-forum.

I'll need the name and e-mail contact (suggest a throw-away e-mail for this since it will be made public) to add to the Local Chapters map where others can find your group.

You're almost there! Let me hear from you!

nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:It appears you have the required five Bogleheads who want to form an Orlando chapter. All I need now is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter coordinator (that person doesn't have to be an investment guru) and I'll assign you the next available chapter number and you'll be in business. The coordinator simply communicates with the members about meeting dates, locations and agendas and that can all be done right here on the Local Chapters sub-forum.
What Mel is asking of any of you is not much. Being a Local Chapter coordinator is a very easy chore. It takes me about 10 minutes of my time to contact our core people here in Las Vegas to set up one of our luncheon meetings and then post the invitation to all on this forum. So hopefully someone will volunteer for this role in order to get the Orlando group going.

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

nvboglehead wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:It appears you have the required five Bogleheads who want to form an Orlando chapter. All I need now is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter coordinator (that person doesn't have to be an investment guru) and I'll assign you the next available chapter number and you'll be in business. The coordinator simply communicates with the members about meeting dates, locations and agendas and that can all be done right here on the Local Chapters sub-forum.
What Mel is asking of any of you is not much. Being a Local Chapter coordinator is a very easy chore. It takes me about 10 minutes of my time to contact our core people here in Las Vegas to set up one of our luncheon meetings and then post the invitation to all on this forum. So hopefully someone will volunteer for this role in order to get the Orlando group going.

Dale
Thanks for adding that valuable real-life coordinator experience, Dale. My very best for the holidays to you and John.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:44 pm

If anyone else from the responders for the Orlando Bogleheads chapter is not interested, I will volunteer myself for being the Coordinator . I will do it provisionally for the first six months and then we will go from there.

Thanks & regards
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Rajsx wrote:If anyone else from the responders for the Orlando Bogleheads chapter is not interested, I will volunteer myself for being the Coordinator . I will do it provisionally for the first six months and then we will go from there.

Thanks & regards
Thanks for stepping up and agreeing to be the coordinator for the new Orlando Local Chapter. PM me with the name and email address you'd like me to use on the Local Chapters Map, Rajsx.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 am

It's official; we now have a new Local Chapter #46 in Orlando. Rajsx has agreed to be the Local Chapter coordinator. Stay tuned right here for more information from Rajsx regarding your first meeting.

Good luck, Orlando!

Rajsx

Re: Orlando Bogleheads Local Chapter

Post by Rajsx » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:45 am

Hello Orlando Boglehead Chapter Members,

Let us meet for our 1st meeting for an hour or so, I will make an agenda to be posted here in this forum during next few days, but let me know any topics you may want to get included. I will probably keep this one, more as a Meet & Greet sort of meeting with a simple & limited agenda. At this point in time I am thinking of meeting on a monthly basis, which can be adjusted as we gauge the interest of the members.

How about meeting in Downtown Orlando at 6.30 PM, on Wednesday Dec 28th,
At Eola Cafe in Embassy suites Hotel, at 191 E. Pine St. Orlando, FL,
Phone Number of the Cafe : (407) 835-6868, as the name suggests it is not far from Lake Eola.
PS. I have not been to this restaurant before, we may change/keep this venue after the 1st meeting, depending upon its suitability.

I will PM the members asking them to look up this post.

Thanks & regards

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Bogleheads are bright and enjoyable companions.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:08 am

Hi Rajsx:
I have not been to this restaurant before,
It is important to have a private meeting area in the restaurant you select.

Good luck with your Boglehead meeting. It is my experience that Bogleheads are bright and enjoyable companions.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks Taylor, for your best wishes.

I will remember about arranging a private meeting area in the restaurant. We will have you come to one of our meetings, during your travels out of Biscayne Bay to Orlando area sometime.

Best Wishes

Raj

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Rajsx wrote:Thanks Taylor, for your best wishes.

I will remember about arranging a private meeting area in the restaurant. We will have you come to one of our meetings, during your travels out of Biscayne Bay to Orlando area sometime.

Best Wishes

Raj
Perhaps once you get your group up and running, both Taylor and I can attend one of your future meetings (that is, if we can get Taylor out of Miami).

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes Mel, that will be great

Thanks

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:13 pm

CALLING - All Orlando and Central Florida Chapter Members, would be members, boglehead friends & all well wishers and whoever is curious about Boglehead way of Investing.

Please RSVP on this Forum and attend this newly forming Boglehead Chapter in Orlando & Central Florida. This Club will serve each member in more ways than one. There is no charge, the strength of a club is in its numbers. If for some reason you are not able to RSVP, just showing up for the meeting is just fine.

The meeting is in Downtown Orlando at 6.30 PM, on Wednesday Dec 28th,
At Eola Cafe in Embassy suites Hotel, at 191 E. Pine St. Orlando, FL,
Phone Number of the Cafe : (407) 835-6868, as the name suggests it is not far from Lake Eola.

The topic on the agenda to be discussed is an article by Mr Rick Ferri - Thanking the Index funds, which have made a positive contribution to many a portfolio.
http://www.rickferri.com/blog/investmen ... dex-funds/

Thanks & regards

Cava

Re: NEW ORLANDO BOGLEHEAD CHAPTER

Post by Cava » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Finished the "Required Reading" and looking forward to meeting everyone Wednesday at 6:30.

John

cessna210

Post by cessna210 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:20 am

I plan on attending.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Cessna210 & Cava, I look forward to meeting you tomorrow evening.

Regards

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Out of town this week for the holidays, this may be an issue for others. Would like to attend in future.

Almost all Panera Bread locations have a small free private room, you may be available to reserve. Many locations in Orlando area including one on Lake Eola in downtown Orlando, I'm not sure if they have a private room, but I haven't seen one that doesn't ... just another location idea.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Great Idea Orlandoman, look forward to meeting you at the next meeting, keep looking in this Chapter Forum for the details about next meeting.

Tanks & regards

Cava

Post by Cava » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:28 am

It was nice meeting everyone last night--thanks for putting that together Raj. Also, I look forward to meeting the people that couldn't attend last night in about one month.

John

cessna210

Post by cessna210 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 am

Good to meet everyone.

Jim

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:45 pm

I enjoyed meeting John, Jim & another Mr & Mrs Jim yesterday evening in our introductory Orlando Chapter meeting. The summary is as follows -

1) We went over and discussed the recent article by Mr Rick Ferri, which was on the agenda
2) It was a very engaged meeting with everyone bringing their experiences to the table & lasted about an hour & half
3) It was interesting to hear the perspectives about & the reasons for each one of our respective portfolio holdings.
4)We went over the details of some of the Vanguard mutual funds, the Fama & French research, how each of us defines risk & our tolerances for the same.
5)I learned the pros & cons of keeping ETFs in one's portfolio.
6) We went over our personal not so profitable journeys in dabbling in investments before we bought into the Index & Boglehead way of investing

All in all it was a fun meeting.

Thanks go to each of the participating members, I look forward to our next meeting around end of January, and will post its agenda on this section of the forum. I wish our members & all bogleheads a very happy & prosperous 2012.

Thanks & regards

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

First Chapter meeting

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Rajsx:

Thank you for sharing your experience of the first Orlando Chapter meeting. It sounds as if everyone had an enjoyable and very productive meeting (no surprise to me). It was a wonderful way to help investing in 2012.

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

HoosierJim

Re: New Orlando Boglehead Chapter

Post by HoosierJim » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 am

It was so nice to meet everybody. Sorry that I could only stay 1 hour. I heard about investment ideas, concerns and techniques that either resonated with my way of thinking or caused me to reflect later with "maybe I should look into that?" As a boglehead, I feel that we are "going it alone" but all together without the hucksters, salespeople and so called experts. What a nice community of people with a common purpose!!!!