South Florida Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
amitb00

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Post by amitb00 »

I live in Miramar (West of 75). I am also yet to attend one of the chapter meetings. Something work related has come up on last minute on last two occasions. Third time may be charm.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

Nice to hear everyone is still learning and investing. As soon as we can get together, we will - and I will post everything here on this thread.

However, several other Bogleheads local chapters are holding zoom meetings and inviting Bogleheads in other areas of the country to join in. You can peruse the "Local Chapters" section of the forum for upcoming meetings.

Also, there is a Bogleheads Virtual On-Line Chapter and their next meeting is July 14, 2020, at 8:00 pm Florida time 8-)

And in case you missed it, here is the link to a wonderful recent webinar "Jack Bogle: The Legacy Less Traveled" honoring our mentor Jack Bogle, posted by forum member Barry Barnitz on his Financial Page - A Bogleheads Blog

Our South Florida local chapter email is SFLbogleheads@gmail.com - please feel free to gmail me or PM me here on the forum.

Your chapter coordinator,
Miriam2
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Nice to see U Miriam...... U stay safe
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida Bogleheads!

The Bogleheads Virtual Online Chapter is having an online zoom meeting Tues. Aug. 18, 2020, at 8:00 pm, Florida time. 8-)

www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p5428483 - this link has the link

The presentation will be international investing.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of Wisdom" - Pillar 3: Time Marches On. Time dramatically enhances capital accumulation as the magic of compounding accelerates.
originaltrini0

Post by originaltrini0 »

Hey all! First timer on bogleheads.org.
I'm in Hallandale and looking forward to meeting like-minded people in the area.

Thanks
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

originaltrini0 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:56 pm Hey all! First timer on bogleheads.org.
I'm in Hallandale and looking forward to meeting like-minded people in the area.
Thanks
Hi originaltrini0! Welcome to the Bogleheads! We'll let you know when the next meeting is, but please check this local chapter thread for the announcements. Let me know if you have any Qs 8-)
Chapter coordinator Miriam2
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

originaltrini0 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:56 pm Hey all! First timer on bogleheads.org.

Thanks
originaltrimi0:

Welcome to our Boglehead Family.

I look forward to your second post.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

Our neighbor local chapter, the Tampa Bay Bogleheads, have invited us to join them for their next zoom meeting -

Tues. Oct. 20, 2020 from 7:00-9:00 pm

Here is their local chapter meeting announcement.

I will post details on how we, the South Florida chapter, should access their meeting.

And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:12 pm
And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
And don't believe for a second that Taffy isn't doing all the hard work and just propping Taylor up in front of the screen! :) :)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Please see below for directions to access online meeting 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
And don't believe for a second that Taffy isn't doing all the hard work and just propping Taylor up in front of the screen! :) :)
Taylor zooms around in his sailing club online meetings and I suspect he disengages his mute to maintain control of the tiller/mic :D
So you're saying you can, indeed, teach an old dog new tricks, huh Miriam?
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Please see below to access online meeting 8-)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:25 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: So you're saying you can, indeed, teach an old dog new tricks, huh Miriam?
Yup - do it all the time with my dear husband :D
:D :D
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mel, Mariam & Taffy:

The judge and I remain above your silly prattle.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads 8-)

Our neighbor local chapter, the Tampa Bay Bogleheads, have invited us to join them for their next zoom meeting -

Tues. Oct. 20, 2020 from 7:00-9:00 pm

:?: To RSVP for this online meeting, please send me an email at our local chapter gmail - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com or a PM (private message) and I will send you the zoom link to access the meeting. It is not necessary to join the Tampa BH to access this meeting.

The Tampa chapter has a nice meeting planned.
-- they will start the meeting with a discussion of the topics covered in the recent ChooseFI webinar that featured Rick Ferri, Larry Swedroe, and Paul Merriman. It was an excellent discussion on many investing topics.
-- plus we'll have a casual open Q&A period on whatever topics you wish to discuss

Here are the links for the replay of the Ferri, Swedroe, Merriman video (there are 2 parts due to technical difficulties)

First part (duration 1:11:00)... https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink
Second part (duration 57:30)... https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v= ... _permalink

And here is a Bogleheads thread by Rick Ferri on this video. www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=327207

Sleepysurf, the Tampa chapter coordinator, does a great job moderating his online meetings and we should have a very nice and interesting discussion :happy

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Chapter coordinator,
Miriam2
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Reminder for Zoom meeting tomorrow, Tues. Oct. 20, 2020, from 7:00 - 9:00 pm ET.

See above post ^^^^^ for details 8-)
alm823

Post by alm823 »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 pm Reminder for Zoom meeting tomorrow, Tues. Oct. 20, 2020, from 7:00 - 9:00 pm ET.

See above post ^^^^^ for details 8-)
How do I join zoom meeting. Al. Alm823@yahoo.com
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:17 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: And yes, Taylor at age 96.7 is a zoomer 8-)
Taylor zooms around in his sailing club online meetings and I suspect he disengages his mute to maintain control of the tiller/mic :D
So you're saying you can, indeed, teach an old dog new tricks, huh Miriam?
Taylor told some pretty exciting sailing tales this week!

I’m wondering if the Tampa Zoom meeting was recorded? The time difference made it impossible to attend without disturbing my husband’s sleep.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida Bogleheads and our Snowbirds up north 8-)

Our Oct zoom meeting with the Tampa Bogleheads Chapter was a great success, we had over 36 participants and we covered many interesting personal finance topics. Thank you for coming, Taylor, we enjoyed hearing your years-of-experience opinions and your participation made the meeting even more special :happy

Sleepysurf, the Tampa Chapter coordinator, conducted a great meeting and we thank Tampa for inviting us to join them.
sleepysurf wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 am Thanks to all who participated in our Oct meeting, with special thanks to Miriam2 for getting the South Florida Chapter involved (and stepping up to help "herd cats" during the Zoom session). It was a special treat to have Taylor Larimore and everybody else share their perspectives. We'll likely schedule our next meeting mid-Dec, before the holidays. Until then, wishing everybody the best!
Again, we thank everyone, including our South Florida snowbirds from up north, who came, we enjoy herding cats! and I'm sure we all enjoyed our spirited and heart-felt personal finance discussions 8-)

The zoom meetings are not recorded.

All meetings are posted on this South Florida Chapter thread, so please monitor this for future meetings :happy