South Florida Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Medguy

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Post by Medguy »

South Florida Chapter,

Do the local Bogleheads in South Florida have any plans on meeting in the near future. If so please post the details, I would like to attend or like to know how do I get an invite to attend?

Thanks,

M
clevername

Post by clevername »

I'm the unofficial SoFlo chapter president and I try to organize one or two meetings a year. Our last meetup was July or August of last year in Ft Lauderdale, and it was a big success. We got to meet a bunch of great people and had some interesting speaking and guests.

I've been crazy busy the last few months during tax season, as I'm an accountant-going-on-CPA at a large firm here in Miami. 80+ hours a week for ten weeks straight is no fun! My season is winding down now though so I have time to devote to organizing our next meetup.

Let's say middle of May? I'll send an email out to everyone on the list, and try to guage support/interest from this thread as well. Let's start getting the ball rolling and see interest, availability, etc, then move forward from there!
Ben10

Post by Ben10 »

Please add me to the South Florida list as well.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

clevername wrote:I'm the unofficial SoFlo chapter president and I try to organize one or two meetings a year. Our last meetup was July or August of last year in Ft Lauderdale, and it was a big success. We got to meet a bunch of great people and had some interesting speaking and guests.

Let's say middle of May? I'll send an email out to everyone on the list, and try to guage support/interest from this thread as well. Let's start getting the ball rolling and see interest, availability, etc, then move forward from there!
Clevername, I live in Miami and would like to help. Can assist with a meeting location in Coral Gables/South Miami area if folks would like to hold a SoFl gathering here after Ft. Lauderdale last year.
eando

Post by eando »

Please add me to the list too. I'd like to attend.
Ben10

Re: Southeast Florida Local Chapter

Post by Ben10 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

I will be pleased to offer my Miami condo as a meeting place for South Florida Bogleheads and pay for a lunch. I hope others will do the organizing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
That is very generous. I hope we can make this happen.
Medguy

Post by Medguy »

Clevername,

Thank you for your reply, I can only imagine how crazy your work schedule has been over the last few months. I've read all the postings in this thread and the meeting looks like a great event that I certainly would like to attend. How would one be added to the attendee list? I went ahead and sent a introduction message to the sflbogleheads@gmail.com email, would that be sufficient?

Nevertheless thank you again Clevername for your leadership and organizing the meetings here in South Florida, and I look forward to meeting you along with everyone else very soon. As well Mr. Larimore that's extremely kind of you, I especially look forward to shaking your hand and meeting you one of these days.

Sincerely,

M
cmontana11

Post by cmontana11 »

I am moving to Southern Florida on the West coast probably so let me know if you start a chapter there.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

cmontana:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

There is a SW Florida Boglehead Chapter. Post here:

viewtopic.php?t=159994

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
jdb

Post by jdb »

Please add me to the list of participants who would like to attend. Will be able to drive over in our new Tesla Model X, which have been advised just arrived in South Florida, plan to take delivery in a couple weeks.
wfromm

Post by wfromm »

Clevername,

Please add me to the list of those wanting to attend a meeting in South Florida.

Sincerely,
Bill F.
DermDoc

Post by DermDoc »

Hi everyone,

Born and raised in South Florida and recently enlightened by the Bogleheads approach. I would like to attend upcoming meetings. Please add me to the list. Thanks!
dwade1109

Post by dwade1109 »

Moving to Miami area, add me to the list!
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

If it's not too late, could you add me to the list, too? I'd be very interested in attending a Bogleheads meeting. Thanks!
Sales6280

Post by Sales6280 »

Please add me to the list as well. I am in South Miami.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

I just registered, I am resident of Hollywood, FL and I strongly incorporate the philosophy of the Bogleheads, Please add me to the list for the South Fl chapter.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Please keep me informed about any South Florida meetings.

Thanks!
Jaboticaba

Post by Jaboticaba »

Hi,

Please add me to the list as well. Thank you!
clevername

Post by clevername »

Our next meetup is tentatively scheduled for Sunday July 10, 2016! Further details to follow.
Hogfish

Post by Hogfish »

I'd be interested in attending, as well. Look forward to it.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hi South Florida Bogleheads,
As posted above, our next South Florida chapter meeting is scheduled for Sunday, July 10, 2016, probably 12:00-2:00 or thereabouts.

So far, the only location we have found is Miami Brickell.

If anyone knows of a place in the Aventura, Miami Springs, Ft. Lauderdale area, please PM me or our leader, clevername. We are looking for a meeting room, condo rec room, restaurant or hotel with a quiet area, room or patio, or a lovely beachside cabana :wink:

Miriam2
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

We're still looking for a location north of Flagler Street to accommodate Bogleheads from the north :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

Please mark your calendars for the upcoming South Florida Chapter meeting.

We are delighted to host a special guest, one of the Senior Financial Advisors from the Asset Management Services at Vanguard. He will be joining us and has agreed to do a Q & A session for the Bogleheads who attend. :D

Time and Location: Sunday July 10, 2016, from 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm
Showcase Miami Realty
2801 Florida Avenue, Suite 12
Miami (Coconut Grove) 33133

The office is in the first level courtyard, across from the Mayfair, between Rice and Mary Streets.
Parking - ample parking in the Mayfair Garage on Florida Ave, the Public Parking Garage on Oak Ave, or the CocoWalk Garage on Virginia St.

Please RSVP to our leader, clevername, at sflbogleheads@gmail.com - we have space for 30 people.

Special thanks to Burley and Jason Smith, the owners of Showcase Miami Realty, who have so kindly offered us the use of their very nice real estate office for this meeting. :happy
yvette

Post by yvette »

My husband and I are interested in attending. How do we know of any meetings coming up? Is there a site to the chapter? We're looking to get involved.

I've been sending out an email to sflbogleheads@gmail.com but have not received a reply. Not sure if the email is correct any more. Please let me know. Thank you.
Taylor Larimore

Re: South Florida Local Chapter Meeting

yvette wrote:My husband and I are interested in attending. How do we know of any meetings coming up? Is there a site to the chapter? We're looking to get involved.

I've been sending out an email to sflbogleheads@gmail.com but have not received a reply. Not sure if the email is correct any more. Please let me know. Thank you.
yvette:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

Your question is answered in the reply above yours.

Best wishes.
Taylor
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Taylor/Miriam2/clevername,

Thanks very much for co-ordinating the Boglehead meetup.

Last year's meetup, in Ft. Lauderdale, was my first Bogleheads meetup and I was happy to see many fellow Bogleheads and had a great time.
Thanks to Burley and Jason Smith for letting us use their office for this year's meeting.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
aerolulu

Post by aerolulu »

Would love to attend as well if there's still room. Sent the email. Looking forward to seeing the group again!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

South Florida Bogleheads!
Our next meeting is July 10th - see above posts for our special guest. :happy
I have been contacted by another Boglehead as to whether there is a secret handshake or knock to get in.

Yes, there is a secret handshake, the INDEX finger shake, as described below 8-)
Mel Lindauer wrote:
VELO724X wrote:Shhhhh!!! It's a SECRET (handshake)!!

I've posted another video from the proceedings from Bogleheads 12 on the Bogleheads Vimeo Channel. This one is a special treat: Jack's comments at our reception the night before the main meeting. Special bonus: Our very own Lady Victoria demonstrates the Bogleheads Secret Handshake!!

BH12 - Jack Bogle Reception
https://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads/81301475

Rich Guerra
VELO724X
Another outstanding job, Rich. You've captured the first official Bogleheads secret index finger shake for posterity. Long live Jack Bogle and the secret handshake creator, Lady Victoria!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125113#p1878936
clevername

Post by clevername »

Bogleheads: there has been tremendous interest in this meeting, which goes to show how strong of a community we have here in South Florida. I'm proud to be part of such a great group. We are pretty much at capacity, so I might have to send a few unhappy emails to the last few people who emailed recently.

I set up a simple public sign in sheet on Google Drive with a format similar to Excel, so it should be easy enough to add your name to the list. Hopefully I did it right, and everyone can access it, etc :p Please add your name, number in your party, etc. Remember the meeting location is in Miami, not Ft Lauderdale, so some of you who RSVP'd a long time ago might reconsider given the venue change.

[Link removed for privacy concerns - requested by a chapter member. Will resolve via PM. --admin LadyGeek]

See you all Sunday!
yvette

Post by yvette »

Taylor/Miriam2/clevername,

Thank you for co-ordinating the Boglehead meetup. This will be our first Bogleheads meetup and are looking forward to meeting you all.

Yvette
clevername

Post by clevername »

Bogleheads: registration is now closed! We are at capacity. If you are not on the list, and have not received an email confirmation by now, please accept my humble apologies and thanks for your interest. We'll try to find a bigger venue next year.

To repeat time/location/etc:

Time and Location: Sunday July 10, 2016, from 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm
Showcase Miami Realty
2801 Florida Avenue, Suite 12
Miami (Coconut Grove) 33133

The office is in the first level courtyard, across from the Mayfair, between Rice and Mary Streets.
Parking - ample parking in the Mayfair Garage on Florida Ave, the Public Parking Garage on Oak Ave, or the CocoWalk Garage on Virginia St.
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

It's unfortunate participation in this meeting was limited to a select few despite numerous posts expressing interest in attending. Hopefully in the future participation will be open to all Bogleheads in South Florida
With that said I'm sure the organizer did the best he could and thanks for stepping up.
aerolulu

Post by aerolulu »

Same here Nova1967. I also hope the next venue will accommodate more BHs. I'm pretty sure I had my name up in the list too : :|
clevername

Post by clevername »

I just got home from the SoFlo Bogleheads meetup and had a great time seeing everyone, as always.

First thoughts: please accept my deepest apologies to everyone for the guest list issues. It was a new venue, and I was told we had a maximum capacity of 30 guests, so I closed the list as the RSVP's approached that number. The bogleheads are very near and dear to me, so I take it as a personal failure on my part for everyone disappointed today. I take full responsibility for that and promise to do better next time so every interested Boglehead is invited.

That being said, we had a great time. Special thanks to our guest speaker, David Tatich, Senior Financial Advisor at Vanguard's Asset Management Services branch. What a treat! David spoke in great articulate detail about Vanguard's business model, their various offices, growth over the years, his work and clients, and many other topics. Many thanks!

Also thanks to Jason Smith, president of Showcase Miami Realty for providing his office, we all really appreciate it, and to everyone who brought food, furniture, questions, and appetites, thank you all!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

clevername wrote:I just got home from the SoFlo Bogleheads meetup and had a great time seeing everyone, as always. . . . thank you all!
And thank you Clevername for so capably moderating a very warm and interesting meeting :happy
Mikeal

Post by Mikeal »

Thanks to Clevername for setting up the meeting and every one else involved.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

It was a very informative session, much thanks to the organizers and our presenter who gave the audience a behind the scenes look at how Vanguard supports their customers. Aside from getting helpful investing guidance, my highlight was of course meeting Mr. Larimore in person :D
Springskier

Post by Springskier »

Sorry to have missed the meeting. Thank you to the organizers. Since it sounds as if there were some unable to attend due to space limitations, were there any notes taken so that we might review a summary of the presentations? Or are there a few attendees who can start a new thread with their recollections and comments?
Thanks is advance if this is possible.
Also please add me to the chapter list, as my DH and I have moved somewhat nearby as well!
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

clevername wrote:I just got home from the SoFlo Bogleheads meetup and had a great time seeing everyone, as always.

First thoughts: please accept my deepest apologies to everyone for the guest list issues. It was a new venue, and I was told we had a maximum capacity of 30 guests, so I closed the list as the RSVP's approached that number. The bogleheads are very near and dear to me, so I take it as a personal failure on my part for everyone disappointed today. I take full responsibility for that and promise to do better next time so every interested Boglehead is invited.

That being said, we had a great time. Special thanks to our guest speaker, David Tatich, Senior Financial Advisor at Vanguard's Asset Management Services branch. What a treat! David spoke in great articulate detail about Vanguard's business model, their various offices, growth over the years, his work and clients, and many other topics. Many thanks!

Also thanks to Jason Smith, president of Showcase Miami Realty for providing his office, we all really appreciate it, and to everyone who brought food, furniture, questions, and appetites, thank you all!
For the amount of money ALL potential South Florida attendees have with Vanguard I would thing they could rent a hall that might hold a hundred or more people.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
clevername

Post by clevername »

Blueskies123 wrote:
clevername wrote:I just got home from the SoFlo Bogleheads meetup and had a great time seeing everyone, as always.

For the amount of money ALL potential South Florida attendees have with Vanguard I would thing they could rent a hall that might hold a hundred or more people.
Don't overestimate us! We're just a bunch of investing nerds who like getting together now and then to discuss our love of index funds, frugality, and the occasional $5,000 watch here and there :) Maybe next time we'll throw down a few bucks each to rent a bigger location. There's definitely a big Boglehead community down here in South Florida so I don't want anyone to be left out again.

Stay turned for more info!
1030danielle

Post by 1030danielle »

I have only recently found this board and am so disappointed I missed the meeting just last week. I look forward to exploring more of the posts online and meeting up irl in the future. I live in Lake Worth.
~Danielle
Taylor Larimore

First Post

Danielle:

Welcome to the South Florida Bogleheads' Chapter and your first post on the Bogleheads forum.

I doubt if we will have another chapter meeting this year, but stay aboard and you will learn about our next one.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello South Florida Bogleheads (and northern snow bird Bogleheads) 8-)

Our next chapter meeting is scheduled for Sunday, January 22, 2017, 12:00 noon - 2:00 pm.

The meeting will be in Miami unless we find a location between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale to be closer to our Broward and Palm Beach Bogleheads. If you have a place, please let us know by PM or email our chapter leader Clevername at sflbogleheads@gmail.com.

We're looking forward to another nice meeting.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Miriam2 wrote:Hello South Florida Bogleheads (and northern snow bird Bogleheads) 8-)
Our next chapter meeting is scheduled for Sunday, January 22, 2017, 12:00 noon - 2:00 pm.
The meeting will be in Miami unless we find a location between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale to be closer to our Broward Bogleheads. If you have a place, please let us know by PM or email our chapter leader Clevername at sflbogleheads@gmail.com.
sorry, Miami does not work for me
I will watch for further notice in case the meeting could be held further north
a Palm Beach Boglehead
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

S&L1940 wrote:sorry, Miami does not work for me
a Palm Beach Boglehead
I should edit my post to mean we wish to be closer to our Broward and Palm Beach Bogleheads :happy We have been unable to find a quiet venue north of Miami.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Miriam2 wrote:
S&L1940 wrote:sorry, Miami does not work for me
a Palm Beach Boglehead
I should edit my post to mean we wish to be closer to our Broward and Palm Beach Bogleheads :happy We have been unable to find a quiet venue north of Miami.
Not taking offense at the suggestion that folks north of Miami are not as sophisticated and well behaved as the Miami bunch
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
jdb

Post by jdb »

Miriam2 wrote:Hello South Florida Bogleheads (and northern snow bird Bogleheads) 8-)

The meeting will be in Miami unless we find a location between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale to be closer to our Broward and Palm Beach Bogleheads. If you have a place, please let us know by PM or email our chapter leader Clevername at sflbogleheads@gmail.com.

Thanks Miriam, look forward to attending first chapter meeting.
Mikeal

Post by Mikeal »

Interested in attending the Jan. meeting. Keep me posted.
BogleTails

Post by BogleTails »

My wife and I are also interested in attending. Please add us to the list.

What is a typical meeting like? It will be our first time.
Mikeal

Post by Mikeal »

Correction- Wife and self plan to join the group.