South Florida Local Chapter

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: South Florida Local Chapter

Postby Barry Barnitz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi:

Here is the blog posting of LazyNihilist's summary of the January 22, 2017 South Florida Local Chapter Meeting. We made a few small modifications to the text to fit it for the blog medium and to make the post clearer for a potential general public viewer. Thank you very much for the contribution.

Report from the South Florida Bogleheads Local Chapter Meeting (January 22, 2017) | Financial Page

regards,
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven

Miriam2

Postby Miriam2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Thank you everyone for such a warm and informative meeting :happy I learned new ideas about investing, it's good to talk about our investing experiences and plans with others. We had 37 Bogleheads and several late-comers who may not have signed in.

The photos are wonderful and they capture the beautiful aquamarine waters of Biscayne Bay out the picture window 8-) Many thanks to Lazy Nihilist and Michael Larimore for posting them. It certainly was a beautiful balmy Miami day.

Taylor - special appreciation for your words of wisdom. We especially enjoy your stories of your investing past; we learn from them, nice historical perspective. :happy

Larry - thank you for keeping our Bogleheads server happy; we go into serious depression without it :wink:

Clevername - great job moderating a large meeting on far-ranging tax topics. We thank your accounting firm, Eisner Amper, for hosting our meeting and providing parking.

Our next meeting might be in May/June 8-)

Miriam2

SoFlaBogle

Postby SoFlaBogle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Is the best way to stay on top of things by checking this forum post or is there a MeetUp page or mailing list that also goes out?

Miriam2

Postby Miriam2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:43 pm

SoFlaBogle wrote:Is the best way to stay on top of things by checking this forum post or is there a MeetUp page or mailing list that also goes out?

Yes, the best way to stay on top of things is to check this forum thread regularly; there is no other meet-up page. Meetings and locations are posted here. I sent you a PM on Jan 1st and you can PM us if you prefer. You can also contact us on our South Florida Local Chapter gmail - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

1030danielle

Postby 1030danielle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks, Miriam, for posting the photos. What a view!
Danielle

BogleTails

Postby BogleTails » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:40 pm

clevername wrote:Hi everyone,

Thank you all for attending the other day! I was very happy to host our first Bogleheads meeting of 2017, and it seems like everyone had a great time. It was great to see everyone again, and meet so many new members too. Looking forward to next time,

Best regards,

Josh

clevername, thanks again for hosting the meeting. It was wonderful to meet everyone and wish Taylor a happy birthday!

as a warning, my credit card was skimmed using the parking meter just South of the building. In case anyone else used that meter, check you statements ASAP.

Miriam2

Postby Miriam2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Hello South Florida Bogleheads! 8-)

Our next chapter meeting will either be on Sunday, June 25 or Sunday, July 9, 2017, from 12 noon to 2:00 pm.
The location will either be in Aventura or Hollywood.

Just wanted to give everyone the heads-up before the details are firmed up :happy

Please PM me with any questions - I am the new chapter coordinator and clevername is on vacation.

Our email is: SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Miriam2

Postby Miriam2 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:43 pm

** PLEASE NOTE NEW DATE **

Details for our next South Florida chapter meeting 8-)

NEW DATE - Sunday July 30, 2017 - 12 noon - 2:00 pm - (not July 9)

Location -
Stirling Road Branch, Broward County Library
Large conference room
3151 Stirling Road, Hollywood, Fla.

Directions -
From I-95 - exit Stirling Road
Go west 1-2 miles
Library is on right (north side), set back behind large oak trees

Plenty of free parking out front. We have room for 60-65 people, guests are welcome.
Please RSVP here on the forum or to me by PM or through our local chapter email - SFLBogleheads@gmail.com

Let us know a topic you would like to discuss, along with our just-talk-finance-&-ask-Qs.

Taylor has offered to feed us well with sandwiches and investment advice & experience :D
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova1967

Postby Nova1967 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 pm

niteowls wrote:Anyone interested in forming a south florida chapter- W.P.B. to
Miami, please let me know. Thanks :idea:

It might be better to meet halfway like Ft Lauderdale or Boca

Miriam2

Postby Miriam2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Nova1967 wrote:
niteowls wrote:Anyone interested in forming a south florida chapter- W.P.B. to
Miami, please let me know. Thanks :idea:

It might be better to meet halfway like Ft Lauderdale or Boca

We are holding our next South Florida local chapter Boglehead meeting in Hollywood and we hope this will be fairly central for Bogleheads from the north, the south, and the west. As South Floridians know, Florida has no east :wink:

Please see above post for the details. Looking forward to another nice meeting :happy

MrDogg

Postby MrDogg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm

NEW DATE - Sunday July 30, 2017 - 12 noon - 2:00 pm - (not July 9)

This is my RSVP for one person.

This will be my second year to attend. I got a lot out of last years meeting and am looking forward to this year. In my case this years location is ideal.

Kitty Telltales

Postby Kitty Telltales » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:49 am

Hi South Florida Bogleheads,

Luckily we'll be in town beginning on July 13 and look forward to attending. Add 2 to the list (Winnie and Mary)

Our most pertinent questions have to do with my husband's recent retirement. We are looking for sage words of wisdom from more experienced retirees, not only about finances but also about dealing with the change of lifestyle. I'll probably not retire for 5 years so, therefore I'm having some jitters about what seems to be a high market for my last retirement contributions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Return to “Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community”