Proposed Boston Area Diehards meetup.

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
RiskAverse

Proposed Boston Area Diehards meetup.

Post by RiskAverse »

I'd like to see if there is some interest in starting up a boston area diehards meetup. I know this is a big town for investing.
smartin

Post by smartin »

I would be interested. I'm in Belmont, just west of Cambridge. - Sally
Mel Lindauer

Boston Area Diehards Local Chapter?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi RA:

If you get five our more folks who want to get together and one of you volunteers to be the Local Chapter coordinator (that person doesn't have to be a guru), then let me know and I'll assign your group the next available Diehards Local Chapter number, add your group's name and contact information to the Diehards Local Chapters Map, and you'll be in business.

Good luck and best regards,

Mel
actuaryinvestor

Boston Diehards Meetup

Post by actuaryinvestor »

I'm definitely interested. Unfortunately I downtown with no car so I can only get to T accessible places.

--
Brian
floydguy

Re: Proposed Boston Area Diehards meetup.

Post by floydguy »

I would be interested. I live out in the Concord/Acton area.

Andrew
Topic Author
RiskAverse

Re: Proposed Boston Area Diehards meetup.

Post by RiskAverse »

RiskAverse wrote:I'd like to see if there is some interest in starting up a boston area diehards meetup. I know this is a big town for investing.
Ok, I'm thinking we should meet up some location acessable by MBTA.

What are some good times to meet? E.g when are people free.

Good Locations? (E.g with parking + MBTA.)

Good Topics?
ahsu

Re: Proposed Boston Area Diehards meetup

Post by ahsu »

Count me in as interested. I'm in Davis Square on the Red Line.

For date/time: I would prefer a weekend morning or afternoon, Saturday is better than Sunday but could probably make either depending on the date.

For location: perhaps a largish coffee shop where people don't tend to camp out, maybe an Au Bon Pain? Or what about the Bertucci's or Summer Shack at Alewife station?

Topics: For our first meeting, maybe just intros, goals for the group, and plan future meeting(s)?
Mel Lindauer

Boston Local Area Chapter?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi RiskAverse:

Looks like you've got the minimum of five members required to establish a Diehards Local Chapter. If you'd like to become "official", PM me and let me know what you'd like to be called (Boston-Area Diehards Local Chapter?) and your contact e-mail address (suggest you consider a yahoo.com or similar e-mail address specifically set up for this, since it would be publicized on the Diehards Local Chapters Map).

Regards,

Mel
Topic Author
RiskAverse

Re: Boston Local Area Chapter?

Post by RiskAverse »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Hi RiskAverse:

Looks like you've got the minimum of five members required to establish a Diehards Local Chapter. If you'd like to become "official", PM me and let me know what you'd like to be called (Boston-Area Diehards Local Chapter?) and your contact e-mail address (suggest you consider a yahoo.com or similar e-mail address specifically set up for this, since it would be publicized on the Diehards Local Chapters Map).

Regards,

Mel
Ok, wilco,

I want to wait a few more days to get a little more interest and then we can plan something out.

RA
Topic Author
RiskAverse

Re: Proposed Boston Area Diehards meetup

Post by RiskAverse »

ahsu wrote:Count me in as interested. I'm in Davis Square on the Red Line.

For date/time: I would prefer a weekend morning or afternoon, Saturday is better than Sunday but could probably make either depending on the date.

For location: perhaps a largish coffee shop where people don't tend to camp out, maybe an Au Bon Pain? Or what about the Bertucci's or Summer Shack at Alewife station?
Those could be good locations, though I wonder if something a little more centrally located might be more convenient.

ABP is a good choice, I know there is a huge ABP at the Copley Center in downtown boston. That's near both Copley (Green) and Back Bay (Orange) stations.

There is also a Panera Bread in downtown boston, (125 High street), they have a section of the dining room that can be reserved on a one days notice.
BostonBogle

me too

Post by BostonBogle »

I'd be interested in attending a Bogleheads forum in Boston. Keep me in the loop.
Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S »

I would also be interested in attending. I live in Cambridge and do not normally have a car, so someplace near a T stop or commuter rail would be most convenient.
paulwood

Post by paulwood »

Risk Averse:
As for convenience of location, some locales are better for drivers, some for users of public transportation: standard T and also commuter rail. I'd go with Copley Square for its proximity to all public transportation. This would require drivers to park at T garages( such as Braintree and Alewife) or elsewhere and take public transport to Copley.
Paul Wood
Petrocelli

Mickey's Green Shamrock Pub

Post by Petrocelli »

How about a meetup at Mickey's Green Shamrock Pub? See this link for more information:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... 92961.aspx
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
BostonBogle

Post by BostonBogle »

I'm thinking "Beantown Bogleheads" is a possible name. anywhere in the city is ok for me for meeting...many restaurants have private dining rooms for groups....might as well get a private room if we get more than a half-dozen people interested.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Again RA:

Just let me know when/if you guys and gals want to make it official. I'll just need the coordinator's name and e-mail address plus what you'd like your Diehards Local Chapter to be called.

Good luck and best regards to all the Boston-area Diehards.

Mel
Deadwood

Post by Deadwood »

I live about 20 miles north of Boston and would be interested in attending.

-DW
BostonBogle

Post by BostonBogle »

I see there are no takers to become the president/coordinator/moderator/leader of the boston group.

guess we are all true bogleheads...PASSIVE investors. LOL
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

I live in Nashua, NH and would be interested in attending.

Best,
Maria
magellan

Post by magellan »

I'm interested in this as well.

Jim
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Did this ever end up happening?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

See Chapter #36 (South of Boston) here http://www.lostsprings.com/diehards/chapters/
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
thedude

Post by thedude »

I'm in. Live in Cambridge.
grberry

Post by grberry »

We did have a first meeting. See http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37879. Cheryl hasn't posted here for a while, and I don't recall whether there was a second meeting that I couldn't make or not.
wilked

Post by wilked »

When is this?
sleepdoc

Post by sleepdoc »

would try to attend a meeting if one happens