NY/NJ/CT Metro Chapter meeting report

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
avram53

Post by avram53 »

12 people attended our meeting today at Camille’s Cafe in White Plains, NY. (Thanks to new attendees: Sajee + Izzac ...And to returning members: Barlow, Meaghan, Eugene, Mark, Steve, Laura, Ave, Robert, Bob, and Ken) Twelve is actually a nice size group to work with. Beautiful weather day, too.

Some members arrived early, before 11:30am. 6 or 7 of us finished the meeting at 5pm! We couldn’t believe what time it was as we finished.

The group ranged from 20 something’s to retirees. Meaghan took some group photos with her camera and I’ll try to post the best one here in the near future.

The first half of the meeting included discussion of whatever was on everyone’s mind (bonds, annuities, managing in retirement, and more...) plus some feedback reporting about Diehards VI.

The second half included reading, out loud, the “minutes” from Diehards VI that were posted on the forum, and stopping for discussion along the way. The subject matter in the minutes “echoed” our earlier discussion topics nicely. Perhaps, for future meetings, it’d be a nice idea to share articles, or sections from books, to stimulate discussion as did the reading of these “minutes”.

There is continued interest in arranging small informal meetings in NYC to augment our quarterly meetings. Plus, there might be some interest in similar informal meetings in NJ or CT area. If anyone reading this is interested in such a get together, please send me a “private message” or leave your reply here and I’ll see what I can do to make it happen.

To those of you who could not attend.....we missed you.

One question I have about future meetings: If the size of the group in attendance goes over 12 people (as at the previous two meetings), should we stay in one large group for all discussions or break up into smaller groups? Part of me thinks break up into groups no larger than 12, but part of me likes keeping us all together. What do you think?

Best to everyone,
Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
Olav2

Post by Olav2 »

I am just wondering, do you plan to have meetings in the NYC area at any point? When I say NYC area, I mean areas accessible by subway :lol:
Topic Author
avram53

Olav...

Post by avram53 »

Thanks for your inquiry. Nothing is planned yet.
But I did find a good location just 1 block south of Grand Central Station.
Send me your email address and I'll notify you the next time we plan something in NYC.
Ave
Topic Author
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Move up
Rob5TCP

re: Saturday meeting.

Post by Rob5TCP »

Ave - well done, wish I could have stayed longer.
If I can help in organizing a meeting in NYC, please let me know.

PS Do I now post comments in both boards?
Topic Author
avram53

Rob5tcp...

Post by avram53 »

I think it's best just to post on this board, under "Diehards Local Chapters" forum. If you want, you could post a link to this thread on the M* board, to bring it to the attention of members who only read that board. (I know, this is a little confusing when we want to reach out to everyone)

Thanks for your offer to assist arranging NYC informal meetings.

Ave
Topic Author
avram53

Post by avram53 »

You can find a few additional comments about the meeting on the M* forum at this link: http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... 1182810360

Ave
Topic Author
avram53

Link to photo from meeting

Post by avram53 »

Meaghan has provided a link to a photo of our group from 6/23rd.

Here it is: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1295/624 ... 205d_b.jpg
[url]
CountryBoy

Ooops,

Post by CountryBoy »

Didn't realize that I should have posted this here and not on the other board, so, herewith a repeat of same.

Thanks to everyone for their magnificent questions, answers, and insight.

Everyone seems so much more youthful than myself on the one hand and yet so wise, articulate, and well versed in the books we normally discuss.

If I might be allowed an observation on the group dynamic after three meetings I would say that it is tremendously unique in its spirit of truly allowing:

1)people to ask the questions they really don't know the answer to and

2)allowing the answers to follow a scientific methodology where it is the facts that determine the answer to a question rather than someone who comes with a private agenda to convince the members of this or that poisiton.

Finally, and certainly not lastly, I must thank
Ave for his careful preparation for the meetings as well as wisdom and guidance throughout. He keeps us on topic and moving along in the best manner possible. His very special touch and timing throughout is truly inimitable.

Barlow
Topic Author
avram53

Barlow...

Post by avram53 »

Glad to get your comments, here, regarding Saturday's meeting.
You are an important part of this group and have attended all three quarterly meetings, which I greatly appreciate.

I'm glad you enjoy these meetings as much as I do. And, in particular, I share your appreciation for those members that are younger than we are who bring a great deal of enthusiasm and knowledge to our meetings, and appreciation for the way "everyone" shares the conversation.

More to come.
Best, Ave
nejar462

Post by nejar462 »

Is there a mailing list I could join to be part of this?
Topic Author
avram53

Mailing list info

Post by avram53 »

Yes, thank you for your message. Please send direct email to avram53@optonline.net and I'll add you to the group list.

Best, Ave