Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by Miriam2 »

It's time already!! :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2022? About time! 8-)

Add your name to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call, post your R-date and age, if you choose, and all good benefits and great adventures will come your way! And yes, tentative retirement plans and estimated dates are okay - we just reboot you when they change 8-)
David Jay

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by David Jay »

Thanks for the work you put into Roll Call, Miriam.

(Graduate - class of 2019)
Last edited by David Jay on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

David Jay wrote: Thanks for the work you put into Roll Call, Miriam.
You're welcome, David Jay! Lol - announcing the newest Roll Call is one of the highlights of my year 8-)
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Viking65
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

May 31, 2022 unless I do something ridiculous like OMY.

What will I do? Whatever I want.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Yay!

I've been secretly itching for you to post this, Miriam, but too proud to ask lest I appear overeager. :D

It is a premonition at this point, but please pencil me in for May 1st.

Financially, one never knows for sure but all looks good. I set a range of retirement numbers as we got closer, from "doable, but scraping by" to "more than we are likely to spend." We hit the lower number some years ago, and have now also sailed by the top. The plan was to retire at 60, when our youngest will be done with high school, but outside events may force my hand and I couldn't be more excited.

I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes.

However, my wife has set the cat amongst the pigeons, as the Brits like to say. She has been a stay at home mom since our first child was born (her choice, I was deeply against it), and now that the kids are getting older she is thinking about new challenges. She has wanted to start her own business for quite a while, but none of the ideas had excited us enough to take the plunge. Now we think she's finally on to something.

She has made various board games for the family over the years, and gave me a new one for Christmas 2019. We both think it's good, and have decided to go with it: to form a company to publish and sell her new game.

So instead of exotic travel and sailing, the plan is to devote the next two to three years to working like slaves in a low margin, wildly competitive business. I've run the numbers, and figure that if we are reasonably successful and don't take salaries, we might be able to earn $10,000 for three years' work. :oops:

We are having a fantastic time and, like Viking65, I just can't wait!

Cheers,
Sean
Last edited by sean.mcgrath on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Happy to see this thread!

I will be retiring on or about President's Day. 2/22/22 has a nice ring to it. Wife and I will be 55 then. Kids will be graduating college '22 and '23. The 55th birthday unlocks a couple of golden handcuffs with equity comp and retiree medical benefits at work. We hit our target number earlier this year and paid off the house last year. Within 1-2 years, the plan is to sell the house and rent somewhere fun or maybe a series of somwheres. Not sure yet on that.

These last months are dragging quite slowly, but the light at the end of the tunnel is coming into focus.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Viking65 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 am I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Viking65
9 months? By my math, you've got 12+ months til July 2022.
Newby61

Post by Newby61 »

I have been hoping for the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022! What a surprise and a great feeling to see it this morning and know this is my year. Thanks for posting. Please add me to the list. My date will be June 1, 2022. After 20 years with mega corp and many...many...many working years before that, it is time. I will be 61 and DW 60. Now the plan is to convince the company that they can help me set sail earlier with a package! :wink:
Whatyear?

Post by Whatyear? »

I'm in! My date is Jan. 7, 2022 (possible stretch to March if they really need me, for good will purposes). Miriam, you opened up this roll call literally the day I let my boss know my plans so guess that means the stars are aligned! I will be 62 and my husband 60 (going on 61). Our oldest daughter is heading into her junior year in college, middle daughter a freshman in college this fall, and the youngest a senior in high school this year. So it's time!!!! Financially we should be fine, but like a lot of us on this board it's my hobby to fret about whether we have enough, run a million scenarios, etc. 😄

Looking forward to focusing on health, family and just generally living a more zen lifestyle after about 48 years of high stress work, mostly in Finance/accounting. Cheers everyone!

Nancy
Bass4

Post by Bass4 »

Count me in. Targeting early May at 58.

My parents are shocked that I’m not working until 70.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
idle_researcher

Post by idle_researcher »

Escapevelocity wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:49 am
Viking65 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 am I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
Viking65
9 months? By my math, you've got 12+ months til July 2022.
9 months for giving notice I guess
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I like to read this annual thread to see how people actually retire.

I myself may or may not be retiring in 2021 or 2022. I actually have a different idea at different time of a day.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

My planned date is 8/1/22 when I’ll be 60. The money is right for retirement, with both pension and 401, and DW will be retiring around the same. However, I have the best, highest paying job I’ve ever had, and I enjoy working. After spending 35+ years getting to this point, I’m reluctant to give it up. If I had to decide today, with my current situation, I think I’d keep working. However, a year is a long time in megacorp life, and anything might happen to change my situation. I calling it 60% chance of retiring on schedule.

Update 11-17-2021, I’ve made the decision to retire on April 8, 2022! DW and I decided that we’d draw a line and get on with it. We’ve done it and I’m relieved and excited. 140 days!
Last edited by augryphon on Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello Everyone!
What an incredible number of eager upcoming 2022 retirees, just waiting to sign up!
Thank you for sharing your glidepath and retirement plans - this is going to be an exciting time for all :D
shiftyg

Post by shiftyg »

December 2022 for us (ages 54 and 53) after we hit a vesting date, I guess we will be cleaning up after the party as one of the last ones out the door :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Viking65 wrote: I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
Congratulations Viking65 on being the First Member of this Most Highly Anticipated Retirement Class :D
Viking65 wrote:I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
Very nice plans (no fooling!) What are you going to do for health insurance?
Viking65 wrote:This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Oh they're not going to "drag by!" I mean, after all, it only takes 9 months to have a baby :mrgreen: Before you know it, you'll be preparing your Official Retirement Papers, planning your Official Retirement Party, and saying all your good-byes. We hope everything goes perfectly and that retirement is everything you wish it to be!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bronko wrote: May 31, 2022 unless I do something ridiculous like OMY.

What will I do? Whatever I want.
Haha! Do what you want when you want with whomever you want where you want why you want and for whatever meaning :D

You're on this 2022 Retirement Roll Call - and if you do the ridiculous OMY, we'll just reboot you 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Yay!
I've been secretly itching for you to post this, Miriam, but too proud to ask lest I appear overeager. :D
It is a premonition at this point, but please pencil me in for May 1st.
Hi sean.mcgrath! One can never be too "overeager" to itch to hear those most exciting words in any language: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!" :D You're penciled in for May 1st and we hope it's a good premonition.
sean.mcgrath wrote: Financially, one never knows for sure but all looks good. I set a range of retirement numbers as we got closer, from "doable, but scraping by" to "more than we are likely to spend." We hit the lower number some years ago, and have now also sailed by the top. The plan was to retire at 60, when our youngest will be done with high school, but outside events may force my hand and I couldn't be more excited.
Sounds like you had a good economic plan - I especially like the "doable, but scraping by" - reminds me of my economic life story :mrgreen:
sean.mcgrath wrote:I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes.

However, my wife has set the cat amongst the pigeons, as the Brits like to say . . . she is thinking about new challenges . . . wanted to start her own business for quite a while . . . she's finally on to something . . . has made various board games for the family over the years . . . decided to go with it: to form a company to publish and sell her new game.

So instead of exotic travel and sailing, the plan is to devote the next two to three years to working like slaves in a low margin, wildly competitive business. I've run the numbers, and figure that if we are reasonably successful and don't take salaries, we might be able to earn $10,000 for three years' work. :oops:
Oh dear Sean - you really need our help 8-)

:idea: You need Larry, the Chief Mouser of Ten Downing Street - you know, where the Prime Minister of England lives - a big ole tomcat who was recruited from the streets of London to catch mice in the residence. Alas, Larry so enjoyed the comforts of the Downing Street residence that chasing mice was just too much work!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_(cat)

So bring in a Larry and that way, you can just relax, pigeons would be safe, no start-a-business ideas, just a comfortable retirement, traveling and enjoying your cottage.

We wish you good luck and a long happy retirement :beer
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I submitted my retirement letter yesterday and emailed all the Department Chairs that 1/1/2022 would be my last day.

Senioritis is real.
AA: 40/41/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds
jamacq

Post by jamacq »

I'm not sure if I qualify again. I was in the Class of 2020 and retired from my fulltime employment on Jan 16, 2020. Both my wife and I did it the same day. However, we both ended up with opportunities to stay on part time with our original employers and with restricted travel we took up the offer.

Full retirement is now Jan 6, 2022.

I do have to say that significantly reducing hours and enjoying more time together has been a great blessing and I am even more excited to look forward to even more.

Jeff
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Newby61 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:11 am I have been hoping for the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022! What a surprise and a great feeling to see it this morning and know this is my year. Thanks for posting. Please add me to the list. My date will be June 1, 2022. After 20 years with mega corp and many...many...many working years before that, it is time. I will be 61 and DW 60. Now the plan is to convince the company that they can help me set sail earlier with a package! :wink:

Same MegaCorp Boat here!
Starting to hear that there "may" be a package coming again this year (so I'll be class of 2021 if that happens) but I'm targeting end of March 2022. I'll be turning 63, DW (61), who is an RN, wants to continue to work for now but might be reducing hours from P/T to per diem.

Work From Home was a blessing for me - I decided on OMY (last year) of benefits minus the office politics was a decent trade off. Financially, we're in a good place and I've been rebalancing from time to time as some assets appreciated, moving to balanced funds and target funds.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Escapevelocity wrote: Happy to see this thread!

I will be retiring on or about President's Day. 2/22/22 has a nice ring to it. Wife and I will be 55 then. Kids will be graduating college '22 and '23. The 55th birthday unlocks a couple of golden handcuffs with equity comp and retiree medical benefits at work. We hit our target number earlier this year and paid off the house last year. Within 1-2 years, the plan is to sell the house and rent somewhere fun or maybe a series of somwheres. Not sure yet on that.

These last months are dragging quite slowly, but the light at the end of the tunnel is coming into focus.
Congratulations on a great retirement plan, Escapevelocity! Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Class. You're on the Roll Call 8-)

Your entire plan has "a nice ring to it." We wish you many many years of wonderful retirement pleasures. Please let us know how everything turns out and we'd like to hear of your "series of somewheres" :D
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:17 pm
Escapevelocity wrote: Happy to see this thread!

Congratulations on a great retirement plan, Escapevelocity! Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Class. You're on the Roll Call 8-)

Your entire plan has "a nice ring to it." We wish you many many years of wonderful retirement pleasures. Please let us know how everything turns out and we'd like to hear of your "series of somewheres" :D
Thanks so much for that warm message. Happy to have you as our cruise director! :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Escapevelocity wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Congratulations on a great retirement plan, Escapevelocity! Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Class. You're on the Roll Call 8-)

Thanks so much for that warm message. Happy to have you as our cruise director! :)
Haha! But I don't go out on boats (anymore) - I subscribe to Dave Barry's view of going out on the sea -

"Never go out on the ocean in what is basically a wooden tub. And if you do, don't look down. You don't want to know what's under there." 8-)
Runyer

Post by Runyer »

June 30, 2022 for me! Negotiated a new contact a few years back that would set me up for a 2021 retirement, if I so chose. Tempted to do it this June 30th, coming off a year of COVID, but agreed to OMY! It’s time. Lots has changed and continues to change in my profession!

Age 63
Wife 53

I’ve been collecting Bourbon for a good party with close friends for a year now and still have another year to collect more! Ready to go!

Ken

Thanks for your work on this thread Miriam!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Re: Retirement Class of 2022!- Pre-Retirement Life Stage Chapter meeting- 6/30/2021

Post by Miriam2 »

The new "Pre-Retirement/Early Retirement" Virtual Chapter of the new Bogleheads Life Stage Series is up and running 8-)

The opening meeting is on Wed June 30, 2021, at 8:00 pm ET hosted by the Dallas/Fort Worth Bogleheads.

This initial Zoom meeting will be a nice "get to know each other" discussion and open Q&A on how you are preparing for your upcoming retirement - or how you did prepare - or tried to prepare - and what worked and what didn't :mrgreen: All Bogleheads are welcome to share their experiences.

For those in the Great Retirement Class of 2022 - here's your chance to fine-tune your plans :D And for those who are still years away from retirement - there will be useful ideas to keep on your backburner as the R-time approaches!

The meeting will not be recorded.

Please RSVP for the meeting and submit questions HERE. All responses are anonymous.

The Zoom link is posted on the BH Calendar of Events or you can PM me.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Newby61 wrote: I have been hoping for the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022! What a surprise and a great feeling to see it this morning and know this is my year. Thanks for posting. Please add me to the list. My date will be June 1, 2022. After 20 years with mega corp and many...many...many working years before that, it is time. I will be 61 and DW 60. Now the plan is to convince the company that they can help me set sail earlier with a package! :wink:
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, Newby61 :happy Nice to hear what a fun surprise and great feeling it was to see the Roll Call for 2022 and to know that 2022 is YOUR year to PUNCH OUT of the rat race!

You're gonna enjoy this glidepath to retirement, less than a year to go, will go by so quickly you won't believe it. Before you know it, you'll be scrambling to get all your retirement papers in order and figuring out what to do first in your free time on your first day 8-) Hope you're successful in receiving an earlier retirement package - tell them you deserve it!

We wish you good luck and happy retirement glidepath in the coming year :beer
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

Seeing this thread made me smile.

My tentative date is 8/31/22, shortly after I turn 65.

Much of my retirement money is in TIAA traditional, so I need to figure out whether to annuitize all of it or just some. That plus withdrawals from my taxable account should tide me over until I start SS at age 70. I also need to figure out how to apply for Medicare and which plan to sign up for.

After retirement: teach English to immigrants, travel, organize photos and family papers, continue language learning, etc.!
old medic

Post by old medic »

I guess I'm actually in the class of 2022... My official retirement date is 1/1/22 after serving 35 1/2 years in the same service.
But my last day of work will be 12/16/2021... Yup I'm counting days
AngelFIRE

Post by AngelFIRE »

Put me down for a tentative Dec 31 2022. DH and I ran our numbers this weekend and thanks to BH it looks like I am more than ready. I will be 52. DH retired 2020 at 65. Ive got one of those count down clocks on my phone.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Whatyear? wrote: I'm in! My date is Jan. 7, 2022 (possible stretch to March if they really need me, for good will purposes).
Welcome to the 2022 Roll Call! We'll pencil you in for Jan 7, and if they need you "for good will" just let us know. :happy
Whatyear? wrote: Miriam, you opened up this roll call literally the day I let my boss know my plans so guess that means the stars are aligned! I will be 62 and my husband 60 (going on 61). Our oldest daughter is heading into her junior year in college, middle daughter a freshman in college this fall, and the youngest a senior in high school this year. So it's time!!!!
We're very happy for you! This is an exciting time! And it's always nice having stars (and marbles) aligned :D

Hmm- youngest daughter a high school freshman . . . you may find this thread helpful - Prom Budget for Teenage Girl 8-)
Whatyear? wrote:Financially we should be fine, but like a lot of us on this board it's my hobby to fret about whether we have enough, run a million scenarios, etc. 😄

Looking forward to focusing on health, family and just generally living a more zen lifestyle after about 48 years of high stress work, mostly in Finance/accounting. Cheers everyone!
Don't fret- you found the Bogleheads in 2009!! Your portfolio must be fabulous :beer

We wish you all the best winding down to "a more Zen lifestyle" after 48 years of high stress work in finance & accounting. I'm getting shakes and angst just thinking about 48 years of high stress in finance & accounting :mrgreen: You're going to love the giant relief of being able to plan your own day and sometimes do nothing but enjoy your free time. Please let us know how you enjoy your retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bass4 wrote: Count me in. Targeting early May at 58.

My parents are shocked that I’m not working until 70.
OK Bass4! You're counted on this Most Prestigious Retirement Roll Call - welcome to the Class of 2022 :D

Your parents are not the only parents who are shocked their kids retire before age 70. It's an interesting observation. Although many of our parents had pensions and retired in their early 60's, many simply had no or too small a pension and had to keep working to stay afloat. Or they simply wanted to work to feel productive or perhaps they were not used to simply "doing whatever they wanted" with lots of free time. Other BHs have mentioned this, different generations.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! Please let us know what your glidepath to retirement is like and how you're going to spend all your free time 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

fatcoffeedrinker wrote: Finally! I've been waiting to be able to post in one of these threads. My last day is probably 12/31/2022. DW and I will each be 54.
This is very exciting news, Coffee, and a really wonderful way to start de-compressing before you leave the pressure pot - a planned glidepath into retirement. Welcome to this Retirement Roll Call for the Class of 2022 :D
fatcoffeedrinker wrote:I am a partner in biglaw - oh dear, big work - but be proud you did so well!
and the head of my local practice area group - congratulations! but the work work work is too much for too long
so there are many client relationships - this tugs the emotional angst of leaving a good work :wink:
and admin responsibilities that will need to be transitioned - train 'em fast, but actually you're irreplaceable :happy
Although I'm really sick of working - amen
I do mostly like the folks in my group - that's good, you'll enjoy the next 18 months & they'll throw you a nice retirement party :mrgreen:
and don't want to leave them in a bad spot - don't worry, that's not your style, they can learn it, and anyway, you're irreplaceable :happy

So I will give notice at the end of this year and then spend next year transitioning these matters. - Hooray!! :beer

Unless of course the powers that be ask me to go earlier, which I highly doubt - they won't, they need you 8-)
It's more likely they will try to persuade me to stay on for some time longer - noooooooo thank you

Tell them - "Thanks for the pay and the 401k - but I'm outta here" :D

Very few partners in biglaw retire before 60, most stay until 65+ so it is going to a big surprise when I give them the news at 53 - watch out! you'll be bombarded with "what are you going to do all day??" :annoyed

Literally counting the days. :twisted: before you know it, the days will have gone by

Thank you for sharing your transition into retirement! Certainly plenty of emotional angst retiring from a great job requiring special skills you did so well for so long and developed client and co-worker attachments. But you gave them many good years and hours of your days and you have more to do with your life.

We wish you all the best transitioning into this next great phase. Please let us know how everything turns out :D
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Deleted
Last edited by fatcoffeedrinker on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

flyingaway wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:21 pm I like to read this annual thread to see how people actually retire.

I myself may or may not be retiring in 2021 or 2022. I actually have a different idea at different time of a day.
Hmm - then just pick a time, let's say 5:00 pm on a Monday, and what does your retirement thought say then? And whatever that is, that's what you do! Oh yes, then proclaim it out loud here on the Retirement Roll Call for everyone to cheer 8-)
BogleFan84

Post by BogleFan84 »

Please include me in!

Excited, and learning, as DW and I look forward to 7/5/22 (the day I turn 62, DW, a stay-at-home Mom, will be 68) as our retirement date (but I'll leave in April/May 2022 and use 10 weeks PTO). DW will be eligible for Medicare; while I plan on COBRA for 18 months, then purchase my own (planning in the added expense).

Currently at 1.9M (plus $100K EF), with a small (11K per year pension), and planning on SS ($56K with spousal benefits) at age 67. Planning on $95K budget (current budget), adding $15K for my health insurance until 65.

Planning on spending time with the grandchildren (5), working with a group of volunteers who help non-profits and churches with website development, propose new equipment to meet their needs, etc. as well as continue to run, bike, hike, travel (with DW), volunteer in our church.
'It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future'
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

augryphon wrote: My planned date is 8/1/22 when I’ll be 60. The money is right for retirement, with both pension and 401, and DW will be retiring around the same. However, I have the best, highest paying job I’ve ever had, and I enjoy working. After spending 35+ years getting to this point, I’m reluctant to give it up. If I had to decide today, with my current situation, I think I’d keep working. However, a year is a long time in megacorp life, and anything might happen to change my situation. I calling it 60% chance of retiring on schedule.
You have the best of both worlds, augryphon! A great job where you enjoy working and sufficient funds to retire if you had to - now all you have to deal with is the emotional angst of whether to retire or not :shock: :mrgreen: I'm smiling, but I really do understand this difficulty, having been there myself.

However, seems like your assessment and conclusion is realistic and allows for flexibility: "If I had to decide today, with my current situation, I think I’d keep working. However, a year is a long time in megacorp life, and anything might happen to change my situation."

We'll include you on this Most Magnificent Retirement Roll Call as part of the Class of 2022 - and if you decide to change your plans, we simply re-boot :D Please let us know how you make your decision. We hope everything goes well and your retirement is everything you wish it to be.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

BogleFan84 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 pm Please include me in!

Excited, and learning, as DW and I look forward to 7/5/22 (the day I turn 62, DW, a stay-at-home Mom, will be 68) as our retirement date (but I'll leave in April/May 2022 and use 10 weeks PTO). DW will be eligible for Medicare; while I plan on COBRA for 18 months, then purchase my own (planning in the added expense).

Currently at 1.9M (plus $100K EF), with a small (11K per year pension), and planning on SS ($56K with spousal benefits) at age 67. Planning on $95K budget (current budget), adding $15K for my health insurance until 65.

Planning on spending time with the grandchildren (5), working with a group of volunteers who help non-profits and churches with website development, propose new equipment to meet their needs, etc. as well as continue to run, bike, hike, travel (with DW), volunteer in our church.

sounds like you are indeed ready!

Best with the remaining road to retirement!
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Runyer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:29 pm June 30, 2022 for me! Negotiated a new contact a few years back that would set me up for a 2021 retirement, if I so chose. Tempted to do it this June 30th, coming off a year of COVID, but agreed to OMY! It’s time. Lots has changed and continues to change in my profession!

Age 63
Wife 53

I’ve been collecting Bourbon for a good party with close friends for a year now and still have another year to collect more! Ready to go!

Ken

Thanks for your work on this thread Miriam!
Bourbon for you
Stag's Leap Cabernet for me!
DW likes Sancerre

we are ready, glad to see that you are close as well
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

I’m in, maybe.

The end for me is either 2022 (age 58; DW 62), 2023 (59/63) or 2024 (60/64), subject to almost certain budget cuts. We are currently at circa 47X so even if the wheels were to come off Monday due to some unforeseen calamity, we will be fine.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

shiftyg wrote: December 2022 for us (ages 54 and 53) after we hit a vesting date, I guess we will be cleaning up after the party as one of the last ones out the door :)
OK shifty! Nice early age to retire, love those vesting dates. It's a real joy to hear: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call for 2022" :D

And speaking of retirement parties - what a fun way to see everyone festive and to say heart-felt good-byes (and collect cell phone numbers & addresses). Hope your party is lots of happy fun and that you walk out the door with fond memories.

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beernutz wrote: I submitted my retirement letter yesterday and emailed all the Department Chairs that 1/1/2022 would be my last day.
Did they pick up their emails? or did they delete them, hoping you would stay :wink:

Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! Retiring on Jan 1st gives you two celebrations! What a night that will be :D

Looking forward to hearing what you have planned for this next great time of life.
beernutz wrote:Senioritis is real.
It's so very, very fortunate that you found the Bogleheads and this Healthy Happy Cure for Senioritis => graduation with Your Retirement Class :beer

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jamacq wrote: I'm not sure if I qualify again. I was in the Class of 2020 and retired from my fulltime employment on Jan 16, 2020. Both my wife and I did it the same day. However, we both ended up with opportunities to stay on part time with our original employers and with restricted travel we took up the offer.

Full retirement is now Jan 6, 2022.

I do have to say that significantly reducing hours and enjoying more time together has been a great blessing and I am even more excited to look forward to even more.
Hi jamacq! Welcome back to this Wildly Popular Retirement Roll Call - so exciting you just couldn't retire one time, had to come back and retire again!

That's OK - we'll put you on the Roll Call, and of course, you'll receive - again - the Most Highly Coveted Award of all the Coveted Retirement Roll Call Awards (and there are many) ==>> The Most Senior Boglehead :D - and by "senior" we mean the longest member of this great Bogleheads.org forum for this retirement year.

[wild applause, thank you, thank you everyone!!]

Of course, the year is not over yet, in fact, the year hasn't even begun, so . . . we'll see if there are any challenges from upcoming retirees who joined the forum before you (unlikely but who knows :shock:

Meanwhile, we're happy you have reduced your hours and are spending more time with your family. That's the best part of life. Please keep us posted on your retirement plans :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

GG1273 wrote: Same MegaCorp Boat here!
Starting to hear that there "may" be a package coming again this year (so I'll be class of 2021 if that happens) but I'm targeting end of March 2022. I'll be turning 63, DW (61), who is an RN, wants to continue to work for now but might be reducing hours from P/T to per diem.

Work From Home was a blessing for me - I decided on OMY (last year) of benefits minus the office politics was a decent trade off. Financially, we're in a good place and I've been rebalancing from time to time as some assets appreciated, moving to balanced funds and target funds.
Hi GG1273 and welcome to the 2022 Retirement Roll Call! Let us know if you're jumping off the MegaCorp Boat in 2021 and we'll reboot you 8-)

Sounds like you're making good plans for your glidepath into retirement and we hope everything works out perfectly. Time to get out of the office politics permanently and move on into more exciting adventures. Please check in and let us know what your plans are!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Runyer wrote: June 30, 2022 for me! Negotiated a new contact a few years back that would set me up for a 2021 retirement, if I so chose. Tempted to do it this June 30th, coming off a year of COVID, but agreed to OMY! It’s time. Lots has changed and continues to change in my profession!
Age 63
Wife 53
Good going Runyer! You said it - a lot has changed and it's time. You're on the 2022 Retirement Roll Call unless you decide to BAIL OUT earlier 8-)
Runyer wrote:I’ve been collecting Bourbon for a good party with close friends for a year now and still have another year to collect more! Ready to go!
Now THAT sounds like a great retirement party!

And if there is any Bourbon left over (or why don't you just over-stock Bourbon to make sure you have left-overs :mrgreen: ), here is fellow BH Teague's Bourbon Soaked Fruitcake recipe for the holidays, which also sounds like a lot of fun to make with your friends any time of the year -

Teague's Bourbon Soaked Fruitcake
"Ingredients:
A bottle of good bourbon, preferably Booker's. It's tasty, and cask strength (ie. "intense flavor and high proof" :wink: )

Measure four ounces bourbon.
Send someone to the store to buy a dang fruitcake.
Drink the bourbon before they get back.
Repeat as needed."
:sharebeer
Runyer wrote:Thanks for your work on this thread Miriam!
Thanks for the thanks! This is a fun job - although I'm so far behind welcoming everyone to the 2022 Class, I might get fired LOL!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

blackburnian wrote: Seeing this thread made me smile.

My tentative date is 8/31/22, shortly after I turn 65.

Much of my retirement money is in TIAA traditional, so I need to figure out whether to annuitize all of it or just some. That plus withdrawals from my taxable account should tide me over until I start SS at age 70. I also need to figure out how to apply for Medicare and which plan to sign up for.

After retirement: teach English to immigrants, travel, organize photos and family papers, continue language learning, etc.!
A big welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call, blackburnian! You're on the roster to earn your "Happily Retired" degree :happy

Lots of decisions to make during the upcoming year - and you know who to ask 8-) We can also help you decide which chocolate bars to buy, how to cook oatmeal with Dr. Pepper, and how to trap mice in your kitchen!

The Pre-retirement Life Stage virtual chapter and the Retired Life Stage Virtual Chapter have good presentations you may find helpful.

Before you know it, you'll be enjoying free time to pursue all your nice activities - please let us know how everything goes in this next year and beyond. We wish you a wonderful long retirement with only good times and warm memories :happy
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

old medic wrote: I guess I'm actually in the class of 2022... My official retirement date is 1/1/22 after serving 35 1/2 years in the same service.
But my last day of work will be 12/16/2021... Yup I'm counting days
Wow - 35 1/2 years in the same service! That's a remarkable work life and we're very happy you're looking forward to a nice retirement. Something to be very pleased about :D Welcome to this wonderful retirement class, old medic - you're on the Roll Call!

Please keep us posted on your retirement path and adventures. Enjoy your New Years Eve festivities celebrating two new years!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

AngelFIRE wrote: Put me down for a tentative Dec 31 2022. DH and I ran our numbers this weekend and thanks to BH it looks like I am more than ready. I will be 52. DH retired 2020 at 65. I've got one of those count down clocks on my phone.
Hi AngelFIRE, welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2022! We're happy your numbers look good :happy

What are you going to do with all those great numbers?! We hope all your plans work out perfectly and that you have a long, healthy retirement with plenty of new enjoyable adventures.

Meanwhile, a count down clock on your phone is cool, but just so your boss doesn't get any ideas, keep this in prominent view on your desk for back-up 8-)