Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by Miriam2 »

It's time already!! :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2022? About time! 8-)

Add your name to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call, post your R-date and age, if you choose, and all good benefits and great adventures will come your way! And yes, tentative retirement plans and estimated dates are okay - we just reboot you when they change 8-)
David Jay

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by David Jay »

Thanks for the work you put into Roll Call, Miriam.

(Graduate - class of 2019)
Last edited by David Jay on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

David Jay wrote: Thanks for the work you put into Roll Call, Miriam.
You're welcome, David Jay! Lol - announcing the newest Roll Call is one of the highlights of my year 8-)
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Viking65
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

May 31, 2022 unless I do something ridiculous like OMY.

What will I do? Whatever I want.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Yay!

I've been secretly itching for you to post this, Miriam, but too proud to ask lest I appear overeager. :D

It is a premonition at this point, but please pencil me in for May 1st.

Financially, one never knows for sure but all looks good. I set a range of retirement numbers as we got closer, from "doable, but scraping by" to "more than we are likely to spend." We hit the lower number some years ago, and have now also sailed by the top. The plan was to retire at 60, when our youngest will be done with high school, but outside events may force my hand and I couldn't be more excited.

I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes.

However, my wife has set the cat amongst the pigeons, as the Brits like to say. She has been a stay at home mom since our first child was born (her choice, I was deeply against it), and now that the kids are getting older she is thinking about new challenges. She has wanted to start her own business for quite a while, but none of the ideas had excited us enough to take the plunge. Now we think she's finally on to something.

She has made various board games for the family over the years, and gave me a new one for Christmas 2019. We both think it's good, and have decided to go with it: to form a company to publish and sell her new game.

So instead of exotic travel and sailing, the plan is to devote the next two to three years to working like slaves in a low margin, wildly competitive business. I've run the numbers, and figure that if we are reasonably successful and don't take salaries, we might be able to earn $10,000 for three years' work. :oops:

We are having a fantastic time and, like Viking65, I just can't wait!

Cheers,
Sean
Last edited by sean.mcgrath on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Happy to see this thread!

I will be retiring on or about President's Day. 2/22/22 has a nice ring to it. Wife and I will be 55 then. Kids will be graduating college '22 and '23. The 55th birthday unlocks a couple of golden handcuffs with equity comp and retiree medical benefits at work. We hit our target number earlier this year and paid off the house last year. Within 1-2 years, the plan is to sell the house and rent somewhere fun or maybe a series of somwheres. Not sure yet on that.

These last months are dragging quite slowly, but the light at the end of the tunnel is coming into focus.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Viking65 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 am I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
We will put in our notices on 1 April 2022 (no fooling!) and walk out the door 3 months later (or maybe 3 weeks, when we use up accumulated vacation time). We've been FI for a while, but we're waiting on youngest son to graduate from high school before pulling the plug.
This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Viking65
9 months? By my math, you've got 12+ months til July 2022.
Newby61

Post by Newby61 »

I have been hoping for the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022! What a surprise and a great feeling to see it this morning and know this is my year. Thanks for posting. Please add me to the list. My date will be June 1, 2022. After 20 years with mega corp and many...many...many working years before that, it is time. I will be 61 and DW 60. Now the plan is to convince the company that they can help me set sail earlier with a package! :wink:
Whatyear?

Post by Whatyear? »

I'm in! My date is Jan. 7, 2022 (possible stretch to March if they really need me, for good will purposes). Miriam, you opened up this roll call literally the day I let my boss know my plans so guess that means the stars are aligned! I will be 62 and my husband 60 (going on 61). Our oldest daughter is heading into her junior year in college, middle daughter a freshman in college this fall, and the youngest a senior in high school this year. So it's time!!!! Financially we should be fine, but like a lot of us on this board it's my hobby to fret about whether we have enough, run a million scenarios, etc. 😄

Looking forward to focusing on health, family and just generally living a more zen lifestyle after about 48 years of high stress work, mostly in Finance/accounting. Cheers everyone!

Nancy
Bass4

Post by Bass4 »

Count me in. Targeting early May at 58.

My parents are shocked that I’m not working until 70.
fatcoffeedrinker

Post by fatcoffeedrinker »

Finally! I've been waiting to be able to post in one of these threads. My last day is probably 12/31/2022. DW and I will each be 54.

I am a partner in biglaw and the head of my local practice area group, so there are many client relationships and admin responsibilities that will need to be transitioned. Although I'm really sick of working, I do mostly like the folks in my group, and don't want to leave them in a bad spot. So I will give notice at the end of this year and then spend next year transitioning these matters. Unless of course the powers that be ask me to go earlier, which I highly doubt. It's more likely they will try to persuade me to stay on for some time longer. Very few partners in biglaw retire before 60, most stay until 65+, so it is going to a big surprise when I give them the news at 53.

Literally counting the days. :twisted:
idle_researcher

Post by idle_researcher »

Escapevelocity wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:49 am
Viking65 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 am I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
Viking65
9 months? By my math, you've got 12+ months til July 2022.
9 months for giving notice I guess
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I like to read this annual thread to see how people actually retire.

I myself may or may not be retiring in 2021 or 2022. I actually have a different idea at different time of a day.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

My planned date is 8/1/22 when I’ll be 60. The money is right for retirement, with both pension and 401, and DW will be retiring around the same. However, I have the best, highest paying job I’ve ever had, and I enjoy working. After spending 35+ years getting to this point, I’m reluctant to give it up. If I had to decide today, with my current situation, I think I’d keep working. However, a year is a long time in megacorp life, and anything might happen to change my situation. I calling it 60% chance of retiring on schedule.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Hello Everyone!
What an incredible number of eager upcoming 2022 retirees, just waiting to sign up!
Thank you for sharing your glidepath and retirement plans - this is going to be an exciting time for all :D
shiftyg

Post by shiftyg »

December 2022 for us (ages 54 and 53) after we hit a vesting date, I guess we will be cleaning up after the party as one of the last ones out the door :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Viking65 wrote: I have so been waiting for this call. I'M IN! First member of the class of 2022, wohoo!
Congratulations Viking65 on being the First Member of this Most Highly Anticipated Retirement Class :D
Viking65 wrote:I'm currently 55 and DW is 61. Our date is 1 July 2022.
Very nice plans (no fooling!) What are you going to do for health insurance?
Viking65 wrote:This feels so good. We can't wait to start the next chapter, but the next 9 months are going to drag by.
Oh they're not going to "drag by!" I mean, after all, it only takes 9 months to have a baby :mrgreen: Before you know it, you'll be preparing your Official Retirement Papers, planning your Official Retirement Party, and saying all your good-byes. We hope everything goes perfectly and that retirement is everything you wish it to be!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bronko wrote: May 31, 2022 unless I do something ridiculous like OMY.

What will I do? Whatever I want.
Haha! Do what you want when you want with whomever you want where you want why you want and for whatever meaning :D

You're on this 2022 Retirement Roll Call - and if you do the ridiculous OMY, we'll just reboot you 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Yay!
I've been secretly itching for you to post this, Miriam, but too proud to ask lest I appear overeager. :D
It is a premonition at this point, but please pencil me in for May 1st.
Hi sean.mcgrath! One can never be too "overeager" to itch to hear those most exciting words in any language: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!" :D You're penciled in for May 1st and we hope it's a good premonition.
sean.mcgrath wrote: Financially, one never knows for sure but all looks good. I set a range of retirement numbers as we got closer, from "doable, but scraping by" to "more than we are likely to spend." We hit the lower number some years ago, and have now also sailed by the top. The plan was to retire at 60, when our youngest will be done with high school, but outside events may force my hand and I couldn't be more excited.
Sounds like you had a good economic plan - I especially like the "doable, but scraping by" - reminds me of my economic life story :mrgreen:
sean.mcgrath wrote:I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes.

However, my wife has set the cat amongst the pigeons, as the Brits like to say . . . she is thinking about new challenges . . . wanted to start her own business for quite a while . . . she's finally on to something . . . has made various board games for the family over the years . . . decided to go with it: to form a company to publish and sell her new game.

So instead of exotic travel and sailing, the plan is to devote the next two to three years to working like slaves in a low margin, wildly competitive business. I've run the numbers, and figure that if we are reasonably successful and don't take salaries, we might be able to earn $10,000 for three years' work. :oops:
Oh dear Sean - you really need our help 8-)

:idea: You need Larry, the Chief Mouser of Ten Downing Street - you know, where the Prime Minister of England lives - a big ole tomcat who was recruited from the streets of London to catch mice in the residence. Alas, Larry so enjoyed the comforts of the Downing Street residence that chasing mice was just too much work!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_(cat)

So bring in a Larry and that way, you can just relax, pigeons would be safe, no start-a-business ideas, just a comfortable retirement, traveling and enjoying your cottage.

We wish you good luck and a long happy retirement :beer
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I submitted my retirement letter yesterday and emailed all the Department Chairs that 1/1/2022 would be my last day.

Senioritis is real.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
jamacq

Post by jamacq »

I'm not sure if I qualify again. I was in the Class of 2020 and retired from my fulltime employment on Jan 16, 2020. Both my wife and I did it the same day. However, we both ended up with opportunities to stay on part time with our original employers and with restricted travel we took up the offer.

Full retirement is now Jan 6, 2022.

I do have to say that significantly reducing hours and enjoying more time together has been a great blessing and I am even more excited to look forward to even more.

Jeff
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Newby61 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:11 am I have been hoping for the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022! What a surprise and a great feeling to see it this morning and know this is my year. Thanks for posting. Please add me to the list. My date will be June 1, 2022. After 20 years with mega corp and many...many...many working years before that, it is time. I will be 61 and DW 60. Now the plan is to convince the company that they can help me set sail earlier with a package! :wink:

Same MegaCorp Boat here!
Starting to hear that there "may" be a package coming again this year (so I'll be class of 2021 if that happens) but I'm targeting end of March 2022. I'll be turning 63, DW (61), who is an RN, wants to continue to work for now but might be reducing hours from P/T to per diem.

Work From Home was a blessing for me - I decided on OMY (last year) of benefits minus the office politics was a decent trade off. Financially, we're in a good place and I've been rebalancing from time to time as some assets appreciated, moving to balanced funds and target funds.