Celebrating the Fourth of July

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Celebrating the Fourth of July

Post by nedsaid »

Hello Fellow Bogleheads, wanted to let you know that I am proudly celebrating the birth of our country, July 4th, 1776. This was the day when the Continental Congress issued the Declaration of Independence. Hopefully I will be joined by countless others in celebrating the birth of our great nation.
A fool and his money are good for business.
whodidntante

Re: Celebrating the Fourth of July

Post by whodidntante »

Hear, hear! Huzzah! Hip hip hooray! Bottle rocket emoji.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Alas, our collective memory doesn't quite hold the ins and outs. Decades after the event, there was a curious exchange of letters between Jefferson, Adams, McKean, Gerry and others as to the events of that day. It seems they could not agree on what happened and they were all there. Below are a few articles about it, but some of the highlights are that it was not unanimous on the 2nd or the 4th; NY's instructions were to vote no; their approval was only received in Philadelphia on July 15; most signatures were added later, some as late as August, one perhaps as late as 1781 and different copies had different signatures. The Declaration which was printed, but was not the engrossed copy, on July 4 only had two signatures: John Hancock's and Charles Thomson's. The copy at the National Archives is an engrossed copy from July 19th. (While McKean was there his signature was not added until later, perhaps as late as 1781.) And so, like Patrick Henry's Liberty or Death Speech, or that Cornwallis' surrender at Yorktown was the last battle of the Revolutionary War, the collective memory might not be what precisely happened.

That in no way diminishes the sacrifice they made when the outcome was doubtful. For further insight:

https://allthingsliberty.com/2017/10/de ... s-history/

https://allthingsliberty.com/2014/07/10 ... h-of-july/
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:35 am, edited 11 times in total.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:45 am Hello Fellow Bogleheads, wanted to let you know that I am proudly celebrating the birth of our country, July 4th, 1776. This was the day when the Continental Congress issued the Declaration of Independence. Hopefully I will be joined by countless others in celebrating the birth of our great nation.
Happy Birthday USA :)

Thanks for posting, nedsaid!
dual

Post by dual »

Happy birthday USA. The last best hope of mankind.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters Bogleheads Community forum (US holiday).

Independence Hall is local to me (Philadelphia).

🎆 🧨 🎇
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:10 am This thread is now in the US Chapters Bogleheads Community forum (US holiday).

Independence Hall is local to me (Philadelphia).

🎆 🧨 🎇
Hi Lady Geek, I visited Independence Hall in 2010 during an East Coast Amtrak Rail Trip. It was a big highlight. I want to visit again.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

Happy Birthday America. The Great experiment of Democracy, Freedom and Capitalism is still young, but has provided great opportunity for those who participate in it. It is constantly changing and evolving. Let us continue to strive to improve this Republic and not destroy her goal of opportunity for all as the Land of the Free.
God bless
JPH

Post by JPH »

God bless America. Hope and Freedom for all!
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
yules

Post by yules »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:45 am Hello Fellow Bogleheads, wanted to let you know that I am proudly celebrating the birth of our country, July 4th, 1776. This was the day when the Continental Congress issued the Declaration of Independence. Hopefully I will be joined by countless others in celebrating the birth of our great nation.
How is this an actionable post?

lol, j/k

Have a safe holiday,
Yules
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I'm having a great time celebrating the holiday today too!
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

America is the greatest place on earth to live.

Proud to be an American!

Don. :sharebeer
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

sycamore

Post by sycamore »

JonnyB wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:17 pm Frederick Douglass: "What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?"
The National Constitution Center has a podcast that discusses this speech -- https://constitutioncenter.org/debate/podcasts. Just listened to it this morning.
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

Happy Independence Day!

It's nice to see that there are still people on the internet who love this wonderful country that we call America, and that I proudly call home.

We've preserved and tended our democracy and our precious liberty for 244 years, and have prospered beyond the wildest dreams of our founders as a result!

May our best days be ever in the future.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We are fortunate to live in the great country on the PLANET!

I thank our armed forces every single day for their patriotism and courage to keep us that way!

God bless America!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Thank you Nedsaid for posting this! I’m so proud to say I’m an American and I hope our amazing country continues to shine as a light of democracy and capitalism!!!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

JonnyB wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:17 pm Frederick Douglass: "What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July?"
Similarly, Benjamin Banneker corresponded directly with Jefferson about the Declaration of Independence and slavery in 1791. (https://founders.archives.gov/documents ... 22-02-0049)
Jefferson had recommended Banneker as a surveyor to Ellicott, who was planning the "new Federal city" (what is now Washington DC) and was familiar with Banneker's many talents. Jefferson forwarded Banneker's courageous letter (and the almanac prepared by Banneker) to his friend the Marquis de Condorcet in Paris who was a proponent of gender and racial equality.

Best wishes to all on this day of celebration of our nation's independence and its fundamental significance to the ongoing struggle for progress in the world.