Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Morgan22

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!

Post by Morgan22 »

Possibly July 2021 for me. Originally planned to retire in the year I turned 55 so I would be able to use the "rule of 55" to pull from 401(k) penalty free. Changed jobs 2 years ago and not enjoying the new job. Now thinking of stopping work at 49 and using a 72(t) to pull funds from a roll-over IRA penalty free. Unfortunately interest rates are so low I may not be able to pull as much as I planned on spending. I need to investigate other withdrawal/spending options. For instance, using up my limited taxable funds while implementing a Roth conversion ladder. Still doing research on withdrawal methods. I may have to ask questions here to get a better understanding.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

radiowave wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:08 am I considered an early retirement package for this summer, but decided to do one more year (OMY). Been a health care professional for 40 years and felt I wanted to just finish a few things and enjoy the upcoming year.
An early retirement ... professional for 40 years!
How to qualify for a late retirement? After 60 years of professional work?
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:00 pm
radiowave wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:08 am I considered an early retirement package for this summer, but decided to do one more year (OMY). Been a health care professional for 40 years and felt I wanted to just finish a few things and enjoy the upcoming year.
An early retirement ... professional for 40 years!
How to qualify for a late retirement? After 60 years of professional work?
Well I'm about 2 years to full retirement age. Health care will be covered mid year 2021 to cross the finish line. Major consideration is spouse who is 2 years younger. I love what I'm doing, enjoy working with students (academic position), want to finish strong this coming year. So the question remains, if you have one years left to retirement, in a good/safe job, what would you want to accomplish?
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Morgan22 wrote: Possibly July 2021 for me.
Hi Morgan22! We'll pencil you in and please let us know if you need re-booting 8-)
Morgan22 wrote: Originally planned to retire in the year I turned 55 so I would be able to use the "rule of 55" to pull from 401(k) penalty free. Changed jobs 2 years ago and not enjoying the new job. Now thinking of stopping work at 49 and using a 72(t) to pull funds from a roll-over IRA penalty free. Unfortunately interest rates are so low I may not be able to pull as much as I planned on spending. I need to investigate other withdrawal/spending options. For instance, using up my limited taxable funds while implementing a Roth conversion ladder. Still doing research on withdrawal methods. I may have to ask questions here to get a better understanding.
Good idea, post the Q on the main forum. Bogleheads love to discuss these topics.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: Well I'm about 2 years to full retirement age. Health care will be covered mid year 2021 to cross the finish line. Major consideration is spouse who is 2 years younger. I love what I'm doing, enjoy working with students (academic position), want to finish strong this coming year. So the question remains, if you have one year left to retirement, in a good/safe job, what would you want to accomplish?
Oooh, now we're getting philosophical 8-)

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams . . . So shines a good deed in a weary world."
-- Willie Wonka
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:44 pm
radiowave wrote: Well I'm about 2 years to full retirement age. Health care will be covered mid year 2021 to cross the finish line. Major consideration is spouse who is 2 years younger. I love what I'm doing, enjoy working with students (academic position), want to finish strong this coming year. So the question remains, if you have one year left to retirement, in a good/safe job, what would you want to accomplish?
Oooh, now we're getting philosophical 8-)

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams . . . So shines a good deed in a weary world."
-- Willie Wonka
Perhaps :)
Just want to finish strong this coming year and when I ride off into the sunset next summer, don't want to look over my shoulder with any regrets.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the updated Roll Call for the upcoming Retirement Class of 2021 :D

Let me know if you wish to be added to this highly acclaimed Roll Call.

02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)

02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)

01 May - reddison (62)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)

11 Jun - trueson1 (65)

01 Jul - KESP (64)
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)
__ Jul - Morgan22
__ Jul - cdc (60)
__ Jul/Aug - radiowave

20 Sep - goblue100

__ Oct - MDfan (60)

__ ___ - beyou

:sharebeer
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I told my boss I’ll be retiring soon due to an inheritance. Her request was that I find and train my replacement. I’m hoping I can get that done by the end of January 2021 if not sooner. But it might take until March 2021. I’ll be 54 years old. I’m feeling more relaxed already!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Dad3Boys

Post by Dad3Boys »

I’ll be looking to join this class, either 3/2021 or 4/2021, age 62.

Normally I’d say that I’m tired of the early mornings and late evenings, tired of the cold weather, tired of the micromanagement, tired of thinking that I can do my boss’ job with half my brain tied behind my back.

But I’m going into this with a positive attitude. So......I’m looking forward to the next phase of life, looking forward to spending time with my wife, eager to visit our 5 kids who are spread out all over the country, anticipating my hobbies of biking and sailing and photography. We luckily finally have the finances to do it, a small pension, a family trust payment and some good investments.

Florida, here we come!!!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Shackleton wrote: I told my boss I’ll be retiring soon due to an inheritance. Her request was that I find and train my replacement. I’m hoping I can get that done by the end of January 2021 if not sooner. But it might take until March 2021. I’ll be 54 years old. I’m feeling more relaxed already!
Hi Shackleton and a big welcome to this 2021 Retirement Class :D

But, no way can you find and train your replacement by January 2021, or March 2021, or anytime - you're completely irreplaceable :beer

But they'll figure it out 'cause you're on the Retirement Countdown, well-deserved and already feeling relaxed!

Keep this in prominent view on your desk so your boss doesn't get any change of ideas 8-)

maineminder

Post by maineminder »

The last day of my software engineering career will be at the latest 7/28/2021. It was a great ride being in an technology industry that has changed so much over my 38 year career, but I'm tired :-) and ready to move on!

I'll be 62.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Dad3Boys wrote: I’ll be looking to join this class, either 3/2021 or 4/2021, age 62.

Normally I’d say that I’m tired of the early mornings and late evenings, tired of the cold weather, tired of the micromanagement, tired of thinking that I can do my boss’ job with half my brain tied behind my back.
Ready to PUNCH OUT and come over to the sunny side of the street 8-) Your f-r-e-e-e days are coming faster than you think - before you know it, you'll need to get all your retirement papers in order, say your good-byes and well-wishes, plan your escape route and move out into the big wide world.
Dad3Boys wrote:But I’m going into this with a positive attitude. So......I’m looking forward to the next phase of life, looking forward to spending time with my wife, eager to visit our 5 kids who are spread out all over the country, anticipating my hobbies of biking and sailing and photography. We luckily finally have the finances to do it, a small pension, a family trust payment and some good investments.
Great attitude and great plans! What, 5 kids? All over the country? They probably have plans for you :D
Dad3Boys wrote:and sailing . . . Florida, here we come!!!
Now, wait - are you sure? Boats in Florida?

The Bogleheads provide, as part of the investment education of owning what is simply a hole in the water into which we pour money, we point out the following Florida risk - which you need to assess your ability, need, and willingness to take this risk ==>>

"Giant Burmese Python Found on Bridge of Boat in Coral Gables" - the snake was lounging on the boat and the owners "wanted it gone" :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNicToy ... pp=desktop

:wink:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

maineminder wrote: The last day of my software engineering career will be at the latest 7/28/2021. It was a great ride being in an technology industry that has changed so much over my 38 year career, but I'm tired :-) and ready to move on!

I'll be 62.
Thank you, maineminder, for checking in with this Highly Acclaimed 5-Star-Rated Retirement Roll Call - you made it to the class!

Wow - 38 years as a software engineer is an awesome accomplishment! As you say - "a great ride being in a technology industry that has change so much" - must be both fascinating and nostalgic.

I'm so old I remember punch cards :mrgreen: Were you one of those geeky guys walking around campus with your stacks of punch cards? :D

We wish you an enjoyable countdown to retirement, a successful PUNCH OUT, and many terrific years of a wonderful retirement!
beyou

Post by beyou »

I saw the old punchcard machines gathering dust in a basement at my college campus, and saw stacks of punchcards my dad had in his business in a home office.

Fortunately I was able to avoid using punchcards myself and am nearing the end of my 36-37 year long career as well. My 3rd gen sw eng child starting his sw career has no idea and never saw them, lucky him.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Just checking in and letting everyone know still on track for next summer full retirement. Trying to navigate all the Medicare stuff, but should get that figured out soon. interesting how post retirement plans have changed d/t pandemic. We were all set to do some international travel. Now it's getting a small trailer (casita or scamp) and traveling out west to see our beautiful country.

BTW I remember in high school we had a PDP8 and did our programs on dumb terminals and saved them on punched tape. Yes it's time to retire :)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

beyou wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:45 pm I saw the old punchcard machines gathering dust in a basement at my college campus, and saw stacks of punchcards my dad had in his business in a home office.

Fortunately I was able to avoid using punchcards myself and am nearing the end of my 36-37 year long career as well. My 3rd gen sw eng child starting his sw career has no idea and never saw them, lucky him.
You can show him these :wink:

Here's a stack of punch cards, looks just like what I had to carry around when I tried to pretend I knew what I was doing :mrgreen: I would take them to "the computer center," which was in a small building, and I'd stand in line with students who DID know what they were doing 8-) while a woman would take the stack and load them into "the computer," which I recall looking sort of like a very long copy machine taking up half the classroom, perhaps 5 ft high, and making lots of noise. Out would come a big piece of paper, which I could never figure out :D
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Confirmed effective retirement date will be 1-Feb-21.
Megaoil Corp offered a small incentive package for retirement eligible folks - and it was a no brainer for me :moneybag

At age 61 it is not a real early retirement but it beats working any longer....

43 year in the oilpatch....seems like a blink of the eye ago I was Roughnecking on Odeco 7 in the Gulf of Mexico.....and all I could think about was going on days off so I could chase ms gamboolgal around......

Now I'm not going to be hampered by the job taking away time from my favorite thing to do - I'll be able to devote full-time to chasing ms gamboolgal around the ole 4 poster buck neckid....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go.....

gamboolman...
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

gamboolman wrote: Confirmed effective retirement date will be 1-Feb-21.
Megaoil Corp offered a small incentive package for retirement eligible folks - and it was a no brainer for me :moneybag

At age 61 it is not a real early retirement but it beats working any longer....

43 year in the oilpatch....seems like a blink of the eye ago I was Roughnecking on Odeco 7 in the Gulf of Mexico.....and all I could think about was going on days off so I could chase ms gamboolgal around......
Congratulations gamboolman and welcome to this really slick retirement class! You're on the list :beer

After 43 years in the oilpatch, you certainly deserve your retirement freedom. And when you have the free time - LOL - we'd like to know what it was like "Roughnecking on Odeco 7 in the Gulf of Mexico" 8-)

Best wishes for a wonderful retirement, full of adventure with ms gamboolgal :D
maineminder

Post by maineminder »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:49 pm
Thank you, maineminder, for checking in with this Highly Acclaimed 5-Star-Rated Retirement Roll Call - you made it to the class!

Wow - 38 years as a software engineer is an awesome accomplishment! As you say - "a great ride being in a technology industry that has change so much" - must be both fascinating and nostalgic.

I'm so old I remember punch cards :mrgreen: Were you one of those geeky guys walking around campus with your stacks of punch cards? :D

We wish you an enjoyable countdown to retirement, a successful PUNCH OUT, and many terrific years of a wonderful retirement!
Got a good chuckle from this. I have to admit, my first programming course in college was in fortran and we did use punch cards and carried our decks to the computer center to be run. Had to wait hours for the results just to find out you had a typo on one of the cards. Fortunately I only had to do this for one year!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: Just checking in and letting everyone know still on track for next summer full retirement. Trying to navigate all the Medicare stuff, but should get that figured out soon. interesting how post retirement plans have changed d/t pandemic. We were all set to do some international travel. Now it's getting a small trailer (casita or scamp) and traveling out west to see our beautiful country.
Sounds wonderful, please keep us posted!
radiowave wrote:BTW I remember in high school we had a PDP8 and did our programs on dumb terminals and saved them on punched tape. Yes it's time to retire :)
Yes, time to retire :D
maineminder wrote: I have to admit, my first programming course in college was in fortran and we did use punch cards and carried our decks to the computer center to be run. Had to wait hours for the results just to find out you had a typo on one of the cards.
Time to retire, maineminder!
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I have a working date: Jun 30, 2021. Still a bit in flux but scary to think I'll actually be retiring this year!
beyou

Post by beyou »

I have only tentative mid year date for my retirement package. I fully intend to wait for that. In the mean time I am delegating as much as I can to others and working less crazy hours so I feel semi-retired already. Good practice. With lots of paid vaca and nowhere to fly, making 4 day work weeks the max going forward. No need to save my vacation days since I’ll be on permanent vaca soon ! That thought alone make me feel like “I’m there”.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Here is the updated Roll Call for the upcoming Retirement Class of 2021!

And 2021 will be here before we know it :shock:

Anyone who remembers punch cards or punched tape ==>> IT'S TIME TO RETIRE! 8-)

Our upcoming graduating class -
02 Jan - bliksem55 (59)
__ Jan - Shackleton (54)

01 Feb - gamboolman (61)

__ Mar - Dad3Boys (62)

02 Apr - Barcelonasteve (54)
__ Apr - corn18 (55)
__ Apr - bluesky50 (55)

01 May - reddison (62)
31 May - Swee'pea (62)

11 Jun - trueson1 (65)
30 Jun - radiowave

01 Jul - KESP (64)
31 Jul - maineminder (62)
__ Jul - The Outsider (64)
__ Jul - Morgan22
__ Jul - cdc (60)
__ Jul - beyou

20 Sep - goblue100

__ Oct - MDfan (60)

Retirement is an exciting time! Please let us know if you wish to be included in this 2021 Retirement Class :D
Taz

Post by Taz »

Looking like mid to late January 2021 when I'll finally be able to phase out of my part-time job. Decided I no longer want the responsibility as the company & headaches grow. Still training my full-time replacement so .....

I'm 57 & this is my second "retirement" (21 years active military). My wife (57) hasn't settled on a date yet - "at least six months" - probably not until July I expect. Who knows. Probably won't move but I'd like to as the kids are now living out of state and it would be nice to live a smidge closer.

Priorities are similar to most everyone else.
- Hoping to finally be able to travel for more than a week or so at a time.
- Get back in shape.
- Volunteer on a more regular basis.
- Declutter. Saw the challenges at my parents' home when they died.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Taz wrote: Looking like mid to late January 2021 when I'll finally be able to phase out of my part-time job. Decided I no longer want the responsibility as the company & headaches grow. Still training my full-time replacement so .....
Welcome to this 2021 Retirement Class! You're on the Roll Call 8-)

Forget about trying to train a replacement - you're irreplaceable :wink:
Taz wrote:I'm 57 & this is my second "retirement" (21 years active military). My wife (57) hasn't settled on a date yet - "at least six months" - probably not until July I expect. Who knows. Probably won't move but I'd like to as the kids are now living out of state and it would be nice to live a smidge closer.

Priorities are similar to most everyone else.
- Hoping to finally be able to travel for more than a week or so at a time.
- Get back in shape.
- Volunteer on a more regular basis.
- Declutter. Saw the challenges at my parents' home when they died.
Good plans - please let us know how to get back into shape and how to declutter :mrgreen:

Best wishes for a great retirement with lots of fun and family and new experiences!
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

Submitted for enrollment: 30 years corporate America + 11 years entrepreneurial America = I’m about done with ‘work’. 60 y/o. Honestly, I’m not quite sure what’s ahead, as travel was at the top of my retirement to-do list (millions of frequent flier miles and plenty of money) until covid stepped in.

For now I’m doing a couple of hours of private clients work a day simply to keep busy - and I’m ready launch into post work life, in earnest, sooner versus later.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

A bit surprised there aren’t any “early” ( <50 ) retirees on the list yet, given the focus on this forum on hitting your number and exiting the race.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:24 pm A bit surprised there aren’t any “early” ( <50 ) retirees on the list yet, given the focus on this forum on hitting your number and exiting the race.
I was pleasantly surprised to not see anyone over Medicare age/66ish. Congrats to all the retirees!
Very inspirational list OP. Hopefully I'll be on the 2028 list!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
beyou

Post by beyou »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:24 pm A bit surprised there aren’t any “early” ( <50 ) retirees on the list yet, given the focus on this forum on hitting your number and exiting the race.
Unicorns they are.
And with good reason, most at that age are raising kids who may be heading off to college. Not a good time to give up income voluntarily.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Miriam, push me back to Jul 31, need a few extra weeks to finish up. Thanks.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

formerlybroke wrote: Submitted for enrollment: 30 years corporate America + 11 years entrepreneurial America = I’m about done with ‘work’. 60 y/o. Honestly, I’m not quite sure what’s ahead, as travel was at the top of my retirement to-do list (millions of frequent flier miles and plenty of money) until covid stepped in.

For now I’m doing a couple of hours of private clients work a day simply to keep busy - and I’m ready launch into post work life, in earnest, sooner versus later.
Welcome to the Bogleheads and welcome to this Most Prestigious Retirement Class :happy Your submission for enrollment is accepted :beer

Time for the 6 most beautiful words in any language - "You're on the Retirement Roll Call!"

Don't panic, you'll get into the retirement mode and leave work behind. In the meantime, how'd you get millions of frequent flyer miles? And when you start traveling, where are you going? Bogleheads have interesting retirement plans 8-)
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:26 am
formerlybroke wrote: Submitted for enrollment: 30 years corporate America + 11 years entrepreneurial America = I’m about done with ‘work’. 60 y/o. Honestly, I’m not quite sure what’s ahead, as travel was at the top of my retirement to-do list (millions of frequent flier miles and plenty of money) until covid stepped in.

In the meantime, how'd you get millions of frequent flyer miles? And when you start traveling, where are you going? Bogleheads have interesting retirement plans 8-)
Appreciate the welcome.

Airline miles accumulated over +20 years of heavy corporate travel + Amex points to convert after +30 years holding card + Hilton points to convert after +10 years of brand loyalty while in corporate America x being a hoarder of a depreciating asset :( = +3 million miles/points
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:31 am
I was pleasantly surprised to not see anyone over Medicare age/66ish. Congrats to all the retirees!
Retirees, I’d love to know what your financial circumstances are that have you feeling ready to retire this year.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Happy to say my retirement date is set for Jan 8!!! Can’t wait! Oh, and I’ll actually be 53 at that time. It will be an early birthday present for myself.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Taz

Post by Taz »

angelescrest wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:48 pm Retirees, I’d love to know what your financial circumstances are that have you feeling ready to retire this year.
Financial circumstances? These apply regardless if my wife retired tomorrow.
  • Last child graduated, moved out, self-sufficient.
    Military pension would cover basic living expenses (w/ no mortgage).
    Greater than 35x remaining needs/wants in portfolio. (assumes minimal/zero SS)
    Mortgage less than $50k which can be paid off with money market funds. (waiting to see if we decide to move in next 6-12 months)
    Zero other debt.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
ClassOf2021

Post by ClassOf2021 »

This is my first post, and I’m so glad to be part of the class of 2021 that I picked that as my name.

Retiring 2/1/2021, age 63, 35 years in mega-Corp.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

radiowave wrote: Miriam, push me back to Jul 31, need a few extra weeks to finish up. Thanks.
Will do, and let us know if you need any further re-booting 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

ClassOf2021 wrote: This is my first post, and I’m so glad to be part of the class of 2021 that I picked that as my name.

Retiring 2/1/2021, age 63, 35 years in mega-Corp.
Hi ClassOf2021 - and welcome to the Bogleheads! What a great first post. You're on this Most Awesome Retirement Class Roll Call 8-)

So, 35 years at Mega Corp. Must have been delightful :D Please let us know how you planned for retirement and how well you think it will turn out.

We wish you good luck getting all your retirement papers together and all the best as your retirement adventure begins :beer
corn18

Post by corn18 »

angelescrest wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:48 pm
Retirees, I’d love to know what your financial circumstances are that have you feeling ready to retire this year.
Time > money. Just that simple. I'm 54 and have a stressful job, so we started looking at calling it quits next year. I have a $50k / year COLA pension from my 20 years in the Navy. My SS @ 70 will be $60k. We have been using my Tricare health care since I retired, which is free up until 2021. Now it costs a whopping $25 a month. At 65, it turns into a free Medigap insurance policy. So we are blessed with incredibly affordable, good health care for life for both of us. Our expenses are $102k plus whatever we want to spend on travel. So, basically, all we have to do is make it to 70 and we are good to go. So I have enough to bridge SS from 55 to 70 ($650k). The leftover after the bridge ($650k) is for anything we want like travel or a boat or whatever.

Kids are both grown and on their own. Down to one old cat. Bought a giant 5th wheel trailer this year to go see the country. My greatest pleasure will come from volunteering at the local pet rescues. My wife's will come from family and travel.

One More Year (OMY) disease has hit and I am resisting. Every year I wait, we save a lot and avoid a year's worth of withdrawals. It is scary retiring on $1.3M with $102k of expenses, but the math says we're @ 99%, so what the hell. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

I also don't have a firm date as I might get downsized when the Federal contract my megacorp pays me with changes hands (or stays in the hands of my megacorp) in the Spring. Since I will be 63.5 in September, I'll use the last working day before my planned "retirement vacation" of October 8th, 2021. Already have a two bedroom place booked in Cozumel where I spent my last vacation in October, 2019. Luckily I got in one extra dive that week and achieved my dream of 500 lifetime dives! There is more travel as well as leaving the central NJ area for sunnier weather ahead.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

corn18 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 am
angelescrest wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:48 pm
Time > money. Just that simple. I'm 54 and have a stressful job, so we started looking at calling it quits next year. I have a $50k / year COLA pension from my 20 years in the Navy. My SS @ 70 will be $60k. We have been using my Tricare health care since I retired, which is free up until 2021. Now it costs a whopping $25 a month. At 65, it turns into a free Medigap insurance policy. So we are blessed with incredibly affordable, good health care for life for both of us. Our expenses are $102k plus whatever we want to spend on travel. So, basically, all we have to do is make it to 70 and we are good to go. So I have enough to bridge SS from 55 to 70 ($650k). The leftover after the bridge ($650k) is for anything we want like travel or a boat or whatever.

Kids are both grown and on their own. Down to one old cat. Bought a giant 5th wheel trailer this year to go see the country. My greatest pleasure will come from volunteering at the local pet rescues. My wife's will come from family and travel.

One More Year (OMY) disease has hit and I am resisting. Every year I wait, we save a lot and avoid a year's worth of withdrawals. It is scary retiring on $1.3M with $102k of expenses, but the math says we're @ 99%, so what the hell. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.
Thanks to you and Taz for sharing, and for working to protect our country. Both sound like excellent plans, very much capable of succeeding.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

Feb 15 for me. I've been one-more-year for three years now as the money is good, so stayed chained to the desk. But now it's time to relax and smell the roses. DW's job is also wrapping up and we want some time to spend with the family. We can see little ailments starting to pile up and realize that at 60 & 61, we aren't getting any younger and trading the time we have left for more money when we have enough already would be silly.

So count me in!
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Please add me to the list. I was eligible and ready in the fall of 2019, stayed on until March of 2020 and then as we know, some of us feared the big unknowns associated with COVID.

Nearly a year later, we can see things a little more clearly...so I gave my notice yesterday, retiring in March 2021, not too early - age 60.

It's time. More to say later...just relieved and happy at the moment.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
ClassOf21

Post by ClassOf21 »

By June 18, 2021 is my date and will be 51 then. Was originally planning to retire in early 2020 but decided to extend at work to ride out the pandemic. Did a two month trial (extended vacation) in 2019 and it was fantastic. DW will continue working as she enjoys the social aspects and positive feedback she receives from her job. I will be retiring to hiking, biking, camping, traveling, fruit trees, stepped up math homework checking and a long list of projects. I attribute portfolio success mostly to behavior but have also accumulated a long list of investing mistakes over the past 30 years that could make for an interesting post here on BH.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I guess if I post it here it will be on the internet and therefore it has to be true.

I'm planning on a 6.1.2021 retirement date when I'll be 62 though I haven't told a soul at work or even all of my immediate family, and probably won't until I officially pull the trigger.

I have to notify the state pension system between 30 and 90 days before my retirement date and I just found out that more system employees retire 6.1 than all the other months combined so it will likely be a white knuckle event.
AA: 38/43/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds | DW retired 2019, I retired 2022, "it'll be fine"
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Wannaretireearly wrote: I was pleasantly surprised to not see anyone over Medicare age/66ish. Congrats to all the retirees!
Ok great! The Inspirational 2028 Retirement Roll Call will be here in the blink of an eye. Just remind me in case my marbles start rolling around :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Shackleton wrote: Happy to say my retirement date is set for Jan 8!!! Can’t wait! Oh, and I’ll actually be 53 at that time. It will be an early birthday present for myself.
Nice! We made the changes. Happy Retirement and Happy Birthday :happy
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I’ll be 49.5 when I retire in a week. :D
Being wrong compounds forever.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

corn18 wrote:
angelescrest wrote: Retirees, I’d love to know what your financial circumstances are that have you feeling ready to retire this year.

Nice post, corn18! Very enjoyable to read, hope everything turns your way :happy
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:19 pm
Taylor with the Vanguard Three-Fund Portfolio managers :D

Left to Right: Total Bond Manager, Josh Barrickman; Total Stock Manager, Gerry O'Reilly; Taylor Larimore; Total International Manager, Mike Perre.
Taken 10/2013, at Bogleheads Conference 12.
I do notice that Total International is the smallest. Is this Vanguard policy? :wink: