How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
k1982

Re: How Is Your Job Being Impacted By The Current Crisis?

Post by k1982 »

i was typically pulling in $500 a week after expenses
last 2 weeks it went down to $300-350

shorter hours/less customer base
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

I'm in technical sales for a major provider of critical IT infrastructure. We are deemed essential and continue operating. I started working from home 2 weeks ago. It was just announced that the execs are taking a pay cut and we are taking 1-week furloughs in Q2. Other benefits being cut, no raises, but nothing too severe. They want to avoid any layoffs.
jnet2000

Post by jnet2000 »

We are self-employed and are pretty much unemployed. That is the risk of being dependent on an ultra small-cap company.
"You really don't need leverage in this world much. If you're smart, you're going to make a lot of money without borrowing" Warren Buffet
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

We make investment software.
We normally work from home 1-2 days a week, but now our offices are closed and we have adapted to doing everything from home.

Every day we are struggling (but succeeding for the most part) to keep up with record levels of usage.
The company bills off a combination of Assets Under Management and a flat rate, so our company is getting ~8-12% less money. No layoffs planned, but our end of year bonuses will probably be non-existant, and a big hiring wave we were about to launch has been paused for the foreseeable future.

More work, less pay. Going to be a fun year.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

RJC wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:46 pm How is your job being impacted by the coronavirus and the falling market?

My spouse is saying that they are pushing for 20% reduction in hours (off once a week) for workers. Are similar cuts coming to your industry?
At job # 1 I'm wearing goggles, two masks, gloves, and a gown. I strip at the door when I come home, leave my shoes in the car, dump my clothes in the washer and get in the shower. We are having extra shifts scheduled as back-up but haven't used them yet.

At job # 2 we all work from home anyway but expect pretty severe decrease in revenue the next 3-6 months. I think we can make payroll and if not we have no debt and cash reserves so should be much better off than most businesses.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
bigfry

Post by bigfry »

I work at a hospital in cardiology. Work has been much slower because we are cancelling all non-urgent appointments in order to limit the amount of people coming in to the hospital as well as free up resources. My job and income has/will not be affected, if anything I may temporarily be transferred to another department, however that has not happened yet. My wife on the other hand got laid off from her job immediately after they announced the shutdown.
100% Total Stock Index | 6 Months Cash | No Debt
ImSoGreen

Post by ImSoGreen »

Radiologist - working from home except for one day a week where I have to go in to do procedures. Despite what you may think, our volumes are way down since we have cancelled all non urgent outpt studies (non urgent mri, breast screening mammograms, anything they could wait a few months) . Likely will influence future compensation/raises, but unchanged for the time being and volumes could surge after this. Also could be "repurposed" and assigned to a more clinical (pt facing) role.

Wife is a government civil servant scientist and although working from home, is actually more productive. Unless all the supercomputers break down...
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Auto here.
Plants shut down.
Company announced all salaried workers are having 20% of their wages deferred until Q4 at the earliest.
Some workers who need to be on-site are receiving 75% to be furloughed (not receiving deferred wages).
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Already working in IT from home before the crisis, so unaffected in the short term. Expecting long term impact to the IT job market across the board as consumers lose their jobs and there's less demand for.. pretty much everything causing corporations to do less IT spend.
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

Higher ed. Every class has been moved fully online, college-wide hiring freezes. I think people are worried about behavioral changes among parents and students (will they send kids to college in the fall, given the plausibility of fully-online ed?), as well as endowments taking a hit. Given how inefficient many colleges are... there's going to be some struggles. A lot of liberal arts and religious colleges were financially on the brink before this, and now things have gotten ugly very fast. Admissions can't recruit, really. Graduation ceremonies have been canceled too.

If things really hit the fan, I expect the biggest effects will be felt 1-2 years down the road. But hoping for the best!
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 pm
BV3273 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:41 am My med device company is trying to turn us into an inside sales force. I find it extremely distasteful since our products are mainly used for elective surgeries and healthcare workers are struggling to get their hands on PPE (Personal Protection Equipment). Most of the sales force is pushing back and there has been several hospitals that said if you even try to contact us to check-in we will remember this when the dust settles and act accordingly. I’m happy to have a paycheck, but upper management in my division needs to get a better handle on the situation at hand.
That behavior from management is alarming on several fronts. If your management continues to focus on short-term profits over long-term relationships with medical providers, I would personally not count on it to remain viable and continue providing you a paycheck. You might want to start exploring your other career opportunities in the field now.
Agreed. I’m playing a game of “Manage the Manager”. Luckily I’m senior guy on my team so I can actually give him my unvarnished opinion on the situation at hand from time to time. The problem is really stemming from the fact that our office is in the Southwest and hasn’t really seen the amount of cases that we are having on the east coast. I just found out today that the clinical education manager has the virus. I think they’re going to be changing their tune shortly.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

mrsbetsy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:23 pm I teach students with dyslexia how to read, write, and spell. I have 18 students who I tutor 1:1 twice a week. 4 of them are in office and the others are online all over the country.

I moved all 4 local students to online.

I'm getting 6 - 8 calls a day from parents looking from me to bridge services for their dyslexic youngsters during the school closure. If I can slot them in, I am taking them, but have made it clear that I can not take them on long term. My passion for this population will keep me going while carrying such a huge caseload.

I'll likely double my monthly income for March, April, and possibly May.

Husband also owns his own business. He was breaking sales records every month. He's come to an abrupt stop as we are now ordered to Shelter In Place until April 7th. (San Francisco Bay Area ) He's an antsy man, so this is going to be harder than just losing the momentum he had.
"He's an antsy man"

Yes, the idea of an extended shutdown is a painful thought for those of us who could be described as "antsy."
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Biotech3 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm Looking for advice for my sister, who lives in California and is employed by a healthcare company that works with autistic children and gets paid hourly. Her job has been impacted where she is only getting ~ 5-10 hours/week. What are her options at this point if her work is not providing any financial assistance?
California has the option to file for partial unemployment due to reduced work hours. You don't have to be fully unemployed to file. Has your sister tried filing a claim?
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Officially, I'm working from home. However, since all my normal job duties require me to be at a physical site, it almost amounts to being on paid leave.
certifiedfordtec

Post by certifiedfordtec »

A mechanic in the bay area for a government agency. The longer this goes on the more likely there will be layoffs. I was hired January of 2007 and survived the last one. Hours cut from 80 to 56 for the pay period. I have seniority so my job is secure unless they eliminate the entire department. Police still need their cars fixed so not very likely. All departments have reduced hours. Until April 7th, our pay is guaranteed. After that I don't know. Luckily there has been a bunch of retirements, especially in the parks department.

On a side note, good time to buy stocks!
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

I am currently only working a part-time job as I transition to semi-retirement. This part time job consists of doing the daily sales ledger for a small business in a resort area. Normally, business activity begins to increase in March, and steadily increases through the summer vacation season.

The business is a franchise. The business consists of an auto repair shop and gasoline sales. The jobber receives all revenue from the gasoline sales (as rent) and the franchise owner (my employer) gets the residual profits from auto repairs and de minimus vending sales.

During the first two weeks of March both gas and shop sales were up approximately 15%, roughly in line with the typical seasonal uptrend.

However, with the current stay at home era, both gas and shops sales have fallen 60%.

The summer vacation season is at risk.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; Wiki Bogleheads® España.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

working from home for time being, hoping my company doesnt go under before the economy picks back up
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

High School science teacher & coach here. Schools are shut down & transitioning to “distance learning” which has huge equity obstacles, not to mention liability & privacy concerns (i.e. live streaming with minors need parent permission & something I don’t think should be done anyway). While engagement & motivation is always difficult it is even more do now. Students need strong support at home & to be self-driven. However the sad reality is many come to school just to escape abusive & oppressive home life. It is an escape that is no longer there for them.

For me... we still get paid. I’m bored. I didn’t get into this to work a desk job in front of the computer. I think online learning has its place & could be once a week to reduce school costs but I couldn’t do this full time. Considering schools are fully funded throughout the “state of emergency” I’m guessing the school year is done. The superintendent is hinting at a fall commencement.

“Homeschooling” my own kids while working from home has been a challenge. I really really hope things go back to normal soon!
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

Surgeon in NYC.

Practice has been mothballed. Volunteered to augment coverage in medical floors and ICUS. Have not been tapped yet but will. Trying to minimize clinics and manage most patients from home. Using telemedicine more and more. Trying to keep ancillary staff out of the hospital.

Worked from home this week. Next week I’m on call.

Sleep in guest room. Shower in basement. Home clothes and shoes do not set foot in the hospital. Don’t kiss my kids on the face.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I'm retired so not affected the way my neighbors have been. The guy next door was to have started a new job at a factory. They asked him not to come in right now, but will pay him for two weeks; he rents a room out and the tenant has been laid off, she's a good tenant and he is waiving rent. I ran into a neighbor in the field we share yesterday, he is an air-traffic controller, he is on reduced hours; he said as it hits the 30 day mark, more flights will cancel rather than fly at 30% or less capacity. Across the street is a family that is friendly, but who keep to themselves; I have not seen any of their vehicles move except for about an hour or so, it appears the two adults and their college age son who works are out of work.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:58 pm College instructor. Subject that can’t be taught online. Out of work, no pay.
I’m sorry for your loss. Did you file for unemployment?
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
BrownEyedGirl_27

Retail. Not management level but at about sales lead (which I prefer and enjoy). No idea what will happen in the coming weeks for my job, so I am just going to expect the very worst. If the economy is able to pick up by year’s end I suspect I will have the ability to jump back in. Keeping 401k contributions as high as they’ll let me until I hear further regarding a date to return to work. It is stressful to break up my usual routine, may be filing soon for unemployment.

DH works at tech startup. He is relatively newer to the team and young so we believe that is why he was not cut yesterday. Four of his colleagues who have more experience were let go and this news hit very close to home as we are friends with the people affected. His job is not immune to cuts going across every single industry right now.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
BrownEyedGirl_27

Ramjet wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:25 pm I've been sent home for a minimum of 30 days but likely 60+

Virtually all my friends have reported layoffs at their employer
What field are you in?
ThunderTurtle

Post by ThunderTurtle »

Self-employed, working in two industries. Primary work is web-related and that is up. Secondary is education which is down. Overall fine so far. Grateful and reminded nothing is certain (lost 90% of my work with one month notice during the Great Recession). Praying the best for everyone here.
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

ImSoGreen wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 pm Radiologist - working from home except for one day a week where I have to go in to do procedures. Despite what you may think, our volumes are way down since we have cancelled all non urgent outpt studies (non urgent mri, breast screening mammograms, anything they could wait a few months) . Likely will influence future compensation/raises, but unchanged for the time being and volumes could surge after this. Also could be "repurposed" and assigned to a more clinical (pt facing) role.

Wife is a government civil servant scientist and although working from home, is actually more productive. Unless all the supercomputers break down...
Radiologist too. Exact same situation--I have worked from home and continue to do so, no big change in that regard. I am no longer doing on-call procedures, to keep me isolated. Thus, when the other rads that do procedures get sick down the road, I can take over for them. Volumes are down about 70%, which will probably translate into much reduced income in about three months. Overall, I consider my position really fortuate.
BrownEyedGirl_27

LawEgr1 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:06 am
Random Poster wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 pm
Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm Currently working from home. Expect to be laid off soon.
Well, getting laid-off happened a bit quicker than I was expecting.

Got a phone call this afternoon from HR telling me that my last day is today.

If anyone is looking for an oil and gas transactional lawyer with around 15 years of experience, let me know because I might know of one. :D
Sorry that happened :( Hope everything is OK for you / family.

On another note, who lays off HR? Themselves? I never hear of 'them' being laid off... Partially joking, partially not.
+1. I’ll have to ask my sister in law, she’s in HR.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

folkher0 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:37 am Surgeon in NYC.

Practice has been mothballed. Volunteered to augment coverage in medical floors and ICUS. Have not been tapped yet but will. Trying to minimize clinics and manage most patients from home. Using telemedicine more and more. Trying to keep ancillary staff out of the hospital.

Worked from home this week. Next week I’m on call.

Sleep in guest room. Shower in basement. Home clothes and shoes do not set foot in the hospital. Don’t kiss my kids on the face.
It must be tough, especially not getting close to your kids. Thank you for your service.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

The real estate market is starting to slow down. I have one showing this morning and nothing else scheduled for the rest of the weekend. I do appraisal measurements and photos for several banks where most of the business is from PMI elimination and HELOC loans. The orders are still coming in but it's harder to schedule appointments. A lot of people don't want a stranger traipsing through their house and I can't blame them.
We stopped doing Open Houses and my partner and I stopped working with cold calls. I only go out with people I know.
I don't need the money but i think I'm starting to get on my wife's nerves being home all the time. :D
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

The university moved all instruction online two weeks ago, and yesterday all of our summer classes moved online officially. Not much of a change for me personally other than the work of recording content, which I already knew how to do as I've taught other classes online. (Not all of my colleagues are in the same boat so we're scrambling.)

Spouse already teleworked as in-house software developer so the only change for him has been to change hours slightly so he and I can split the work day as we have no school or child care and the kids are young. Then we both work evenings.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:02 am
Ramjet wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:25 pm I've been sent home for a minimum of 30 days but likely 60+

Virtually all my friends have reported layoffs at their employer
What field are you in?
I work in local government
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Engineer, working from home, pretty good job stability because work supports Defense Industrial Base - but no guarantees.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

I was a contractor in the airlines industry. nuf said
ScoobyDoo!
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

I am a nurse anesthetist and have seen a big drop in our surgery volume. We were already staffing with several travelers and part time people and they were cut immediately. Have had a few that have been inadvertently exposed and one still in quarantine. Went from staffing 12 ORs and procedure rooms to no more than 5 and it’s usually just 2-3. Vascular surgery and cardiothoracic are making up most of our surgery now. No changes to my income yet although there are talks of mandatory furlough for 1-2 weeks.

Wife is a 4th grade teacher and has been working from home. She is worried about her students as most are from low socioeconomic households.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

My wife is a dietitian at a hospital. She's still required to go in.

She cannot physically visit her in-patients until this is over. She still gets refferals from the doctors so she remotely works with the patients.

She also visits a clinic to help cardiac rehab patients. That is put on hold for now.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

KCjoe wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:46 pm I was in the hotel industry and I was laid off Monday as part of a major restructuring by my employer. I was an above property corporate VP. Revenues dropped 70% in one week with the rate of decline accelerating. So my life has changed quite a bit.

Still, I know we are better off than most and should be grateful for what we still have, but after a life of putting the working at demanding corporate positions, traveling 45 weeks a year, I can't help but be disappointed.
I’m really sorry! Keep your head up and stay positive. One day at a time. New, unexpected opportunities will appear. Stay ready and willing to pounce when they do!🗽
ScoobyDoo!
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

LawEgr1 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:06 am On another note, who lays off HR? Themselves? I never hear of 'them' being laid off... Partially joking, partially not.
Yes. Have a friend who works in HR and was laid off (after being hired during a layoff 🧐) after 6 months. Realized they wanted to replace their current Compensation system and wanted someone with experience testing the new system. Was expecting it from the get go...newspaper industry.
ScoobyDoo!
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

I'm in that odd spot. I'll be 62 later this year. I work in IT. I think there is a good chance I'll be laid off later on - unless things turn around sooner than later. With all the job losses, I think the IT market will be saturated with job seekers - and at my age - probably near impossible to find a new job. I'm resigning myself to retirement as a worst case scenario.

I went conservative with my portfolio last year at about 35/65 and moved all my fixed income to treasuries. While my retirement has been hit, the blow has been somewhat softened. I have enough in fixed income to hold off until at least age 67 for social security - possibly 70. Of course, it's about health care, health care, health care. The ACA is under assault, with no alternatives on the horizon.
cpan00b

Post by cpan00b »

Thegame14 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 am working from home for time being, hoping my company doesnt go under before the economy picks back up
Pretty much same. Not worried company will go under but more like it'll lay off 25,000 employees or something. At an investment bank and deal flow has slowed considerably. Seems like everything is on standstill except restructuring department which is blowing up. Have probably only done a total of 10 hours of actual work in the last 2 weeks (as opposed to 80 hours).
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

jnet2000 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 pm We are self-employed and are pretty much unemployed. That is the risk of being dependent on an ultra small-cap company.
Self-employed here too.
Mainly work part-time at one company at a time.
Not sure if anyone is actually hiring these days.
Part of me is thinking it may be better to sit tight despite the loss in income.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:06 am I'm in that odd spot. I'll be 62 later this year. I work in IT. I think there is a good chance I'll be laid off later on - unless things turn around sooner than later. With all the job losses, I think the IT market will be saturated with job seekers - and at my age - probably near impossible to find a new job. I'm resigning myself to retirement as a worst case scenario.

I went conservative with my portfolio last year at about 35/65 and moved all my fixed income to treasuries. While my retirement has been hit, the blow has been somewhat softened. I have enough in fixed income to hold off until at least age 67 for social security - possibly 70. Of course, it's about health care, health care, health care. The ACA is under assault, with no alternatives on the horizon.
Take a look at COBRA. How do I know? I'm planning to retire this year and just spoke with an insurance broker (for medical coverage, not life insurance). COBRA coverage goes for 18 months, the employer will add a 2% administrative fee.

Since he sells insurance, he sent me the rate sheet for my local insurance provider. There is quite a difference in premiums by age.

The rate employers pay is based on the average age of the work force. As a "senior citizen" (I'm getting used to that term... :annoyed ), you'll get some good leverage due to age. For my employer, COBRA coverage is about 1/2 the going market rate.

(I went a bit off-topic here, but wanted to help. Start a thread in the Personal Finance forum (this one) if you want to continue the discussion.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

We basically just got torpedoed in a major way by this. 2 weeks ago I was 6 weeks away from graduation from dental school. My licensure exam was supposed to be this weekend, but was cancelled until at least June or probably july at this point. So after 4 years and being minutes from the finish line I just had my ability to make an income snatched away from me. The state where we are moving so far is not talking about allowing a temporary license upon graduation, so I will have to wait until dentistry can go back to business as usual before I can get licensed and start working. I'm expecting 3-6 months of lost income minimum from this if I can take my licensure board late this summer or early fall. Unbelievable. It's not just me either, many/most senior classes of medical/dental/etc school are facing similar problems. Some we're lucky in timing to have already taken their last board exam. Not us.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Have been teleworking, but somethings i need to be there for.... And then at 1700 got email from lead that there is POSSIBLE virus victim in our building, on MY FLOOR;-(. So we are shutdown till who knows....
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:37 am Take a look at COBRA. How do I know? I'm planning to retire this year and just spoke with an insurance broker (for medical coverage, not life insurance). COBRA coverage goes for 18 months, the employer will add a 2% administrative fee.

Since he sells insurance, he sent me the rate sheet for my local insurance provider. There is quite a difference in premiums by age.

The rate employers pay is based on the average age of the work force. As a "senior citizen" (I'm getting used to that term... :annoyed ), you'll get some good leverage due to age. For my employer, COBRA coverage is about 1/2 the going market rate.

(I went a bit off-topic here, but wanted to help. Start a thread in the Personal Finance forum (this one) if you want to continue the discussion.)
Thanks LadyGeek. I considered setting up a separate thread as you suggested, but I figured there was already a lot of advice to be found if I searched the forum archives. Clearly it would be a good time to review where I am, and have some plans ready, just in case.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I'm in IT. So far the only impact has been the inability to travel to visit my customers. I was already working from home, so that hasn't changed. Some customers are suspending projects due to the coronavirus crisis, but mine have not (yet). I do expect some of them to be impacted sooner or later, though, but I have no idea how it will play out.

I expect much lower than expected growth, if any, for my company, in the coming quarters, and a noticeable impact on my bonus, which is a sizable part of my income, but not counted into my budget (I use it to max out my mega-backdoor Roth IRA).

So far, given my company's size, financial situation and culture, I'm not too worried. However, if the slowdown lasts for a few more months, my job might not be very secure for very long.
cpan00b

Post by cpan00b »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:13 am
LawEgr1 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:06 am
Random Poster wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 pm
Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm Currently working from home. Expect to be laid off soon.
Well, getting laid-off happened a bit quicker than I was expecting.

Got a phone call this afternoon from HR telling me that my last day is today.

If anyone is looking for an oil and gas transactional lawyer with around 15 years of experience, let me know because I might know of one. :D
Sorry that happened :( Hope everything is OK for you / family.

On another note, who lays off HR? Themselves? I never hear of 'them' being laid off... Partially joking, partially not.
+1. I’ll have to ask my sister in law, she’s in HR.
Did your company give you a severance package? I'm a lawyer and worried about something similar. In general, people who are getting laid off from office/white-collar type jobs, did you get any sort of severance?
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

cpan00b wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:54 pmDid your company give you a severance package? I'm a lawyer and worried about something similar. In general, people who are getting laid off from office/white-collar type jobs, did you get any sort of severance?
I’m guessing that your question was directed to me. :happy

Provided that my (now-ex) employer stays in business for the next few months (which is not guaranteed at the moment), I am supposed to receive: (i) my regular pay for the next for 4 pay periods (basically done to satisfy the WARN Act requirements); (ii) payment for unusued vacation, to be paid in a lump sum sometime in May or June; and (iii) a severance payment, to be paid in a lump sum sometime in May or June. I can’t disclose exact numbers, but the severance amount is roughly 8 to 9 months pay for an over 40 year old person who had been with the company for over 12 years.

At this point, I am just hoping that I receive it all.

In addition to those monetary amounts, the company is covering the first two months of COBRA coverage. And before the layoffs hit, the company paid my 2020 bar dues well in advance of their due date, which was a nice and unexpected gesture.

I applied for unemployment the day I got laid off, but I do not know if the authorities will approve my application now or delay it until all of the paychecks and severance amounts are made. Either way, if I receive unemployment, it should cover the COBRA premiums (and then some, especially if I receive any of the extra $600 weekly benefit amount to be paid through July 31).

The biggest issue for me, employment wise, is that my entire town is going to be crushed (if it hasn’t already) by the oil collapse, so finding work here is going to be a challenge,
dru808

Post by dru808 »

In construction, still can’t get 3m or any name brand n95’s. Luckily I just ordered a 40 pack of some Chinese kn95 valved respirators.
60% SCHK | 25% VIGI | 15% ILTB
dru808

Post by dru808 »

jnet2000 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 pm We are self-employed and are pretty much unemployed. That is the risk of being dependent on an ultra small-cap company.
You are a candidate for unemployment now, I’d consider applying.
60% SCHK | 25% VIGI | 15% ILTB
cpan00b

Post by cpan00b »

Random Poster wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:30 pm
cpan00b wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:54 pmDid your company give you a severance package? I'm a lawyer and worried about something similar. In general, people who are getting laid off from office/white-collar type jobs, did you get any sort of severance?
I’m guessing that your question was directed to me. :happy

Provided that my (now-ex) employer stays in business for the next few months (which is not guaranteed at the moment), I am supposed to receive: (i) my regular pay for the next for 4 pay periods (basically done to satisfy the WARN Act requirements); (ii) payment for unusued vacation, to be paid in a lump sum sometime in May or June; and (iii) a severance payment, to be paid in a lump sum sometime in May or June. I can’t disclose exact numbers, but the severance amount is roughly 8 to 9 months pay for an over 40 year old person who had been with the company for over 12 years.

At this point, I am just hoping that I receive it all.

In addition to those monetary amounts, the company is covering the first two months of COBRA coverage. And before the layoffs hit, the company paid my 2020 bar dues well in advance of their due date, which was a nice and unexpected gesture.

I applied for unemployment the day I got laid off, but I do not know if the authorities will approve my application now or delay it until all of the paychecks and severance amounts are made. Either way, if I receive unemployment, it should cover the COBRA premiums (and then some, especially if I receive any of the extra $600 weekly benefit amount to be paid throughout July 31).

The biggest issue for me, employment wise, is that my entire town is going to be crushed (if it hasn’t already) by the oil collapse, so finding work here is going to be a challenge,
Thank you for the response. Best of luck!i hope the company stays solvent to pay out.
Mako

Post by Mako »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:55 pm We have state liquor stores here in Utah, I happen to live ~1 mile from one. Went for a run this morning and there was a line probably 1/4 mile long to get inside the liquor store. I'm talking several hundred people, standing in close proximity. All parking lots on both sides of the street were full and it was causing traffic. Maybe there are rumors that they are going to close the stores?

Either way, it made me really annoyed that the state is in a "soft shutdown" but people can't do without their stock of alcohol.
Our liquor stores (which aren’t state run) are delivering. Not usually permitted but the state waived that. Restaurants are also delivering beer and wine.