Suggestion for how local chapters can reach out to a younger audience- FIRE devotees

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Suggestion for how local chapters can reach out to a younger audience- FIRE devotees

Post by sleepysurf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:00 am

On the October "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast, Rick interviewed Chris Mamula (prolific FIRE blogger, and lead author of the recently published book ChooseFI- Your Blueprint For Financial Independence). It's a great interview, and Chris clearly embraces the Boglehead philosophy.

Chris mentioned that the "ChooseFi" community, like the Bogleheads, have formed some local chapters (via Facebook Groups), meeting in various U.S. cities, and around the world. While our Boglehead focus is not the "FIRE" movement per se, they share many of our values, and are generally a younger cohort than us.

Turns out, there is a ChooseFI Facebook Group in our local (Tampa Bay) area, so I reached out to them and invited any interested members to attend our local Bogleheads meeting next month. There has been an overwhelming positive response from them. I'm hopeful this will be an opportunity for us older Bogleheads to share our perspectives and experiences with a younger group, and mentor them during their formative years pursuing financial independence.

Perhaps other local Boglehead chapters will consider doing something like this.

BTW, if concerned about privacy/anonymity, it's possible to create a secondary Facebook account to use for communicating with the ChooseFI group.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

WoodSpinner

Re: Suggestion for how local chapters can reach out to a younger audience- FIRE devotees

Post by WoodSpinner » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:46 am

OP,

I have been following ChooseFI podcasts for a bit after a tip on Boggleheads. I think there is a great deal of alignment between our groups although the messaging styles are a bit different. Kudos to Rick for reaching out and having some of their leadership on his Podcast. Planning to gift their new book, Choose FI to my daughter, nieces and nephews.

I think we all could learn a great deal from each other. I really like their emphasis on Financial Independence — rather than the Retire Early component.

WoodSpinner