How many bogleheads do you know in real life?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
texasdiver

How many bogleheads do you know in real life?

Post by texasdiver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm

When reading these forums it is easy to get the impression that one is well behind the curve if we aren't maxing out our 401(k)s, backdoor Roth IRAs, HSAs, 529s, and making savvy taxable investments while living beneath one's means with a 15-year fixed mortage and paid-off used cars. It can be humbling to read the ruthless efficiency to which many of you have gotten your financial houses in order.

But in real life I look around to the friends, family, co-workers and neighbors whom I know well enough to make a vague estimate of their financial health, and I can only come up with one or two others who might be hitting most of the boglehead targets. The rest aren't remotely close. I would estimate that in our upper-middle class circle of acquaintances, not 5% have financial lives that would merit discussion here without some sense of horror and embarrassment. All the surveys I see about the financial health of average Americans suggests this is true. I'm curious if the rest of you find the same thing in your own actual world of acquaintances. I have some older relatives from the greatest generation era who have their financial lives completely in order and are wealthy after middle class professional careers. In my own middle-aged cohort I know of only one other couple in real life who clearly have their act together to a degree that would be admired here.

This is actionable to the extent that it helps one evaluate their own financial health relative to the real world and not the rarified world of bogleheads.

mcraepat9

Re: How many bogleheads do you know in real life?

Post by mcraepat9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Most of my contemporaries and friends are Bogleheads (though some would not call themselves that) - they live below their means and invest in low cost index funds only. To me, that is 80% of what being a Boglehead is.

It is generational though. My contemporaries are older Millenials (aged 28-35), so they started working/early in work career when the 2008 crisis hit and they never had a chance to make bad decisions overbuying a house, a car or (gasp) whole life insurance.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm

I know a lot who preach it but don't practice it. It's kind of like a religion: people swear by the rules, yet do the exact opposite themselves.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Finance and investments never comes up in conversations with my circle of friends so I have no clue. My immediate family and that of my spouse are pretty much solid BHs.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm

mcraepat9 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:57 pm
Most of my contemporaries and friends are Bogleheads (though some would not call themselves that) - they live below their means and invest in low cost index funds only. To me, that is 80% of what being a Boglehead is.

It is generational though. My contemporaries are older Millenials (aged 28-35), so they started working/early in work career when the 2008 crisis hit and they never had a chance to make bad decisions overbuying a house, a car or (gasp) whole life insurance.
It may be generational. My contemporaries are 45-55 and I see so many doing things like taking out loans, second mortages, and tapping retirement savings to pay for college tuition, that sort of thing. Others who own money-pit vacation rentals that suck up all their time and energy. And a bunch in both education and medicine who just seem to be trusting that their employer pensions and retirement plans are going to work out for them without additional saving on their part. I don't know how many teachers I know who have nothing saved for retirement other than their pension and social security.

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:33 pm

I don't know any for certain, but a few probables. I know many who are not. However, then I have to speak of glass houses:

We don't have a legit emergency fund (it bothers me a lot, but we took some risks and truth is truth.)
We've tried to balance savings and consumption, i.e. we weren't truly dedicated to LBYM.
We could have done better recently on car acquisition costs.
We have too much debt.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 pm

As a society we are all bottled up about money. Personal finance is not a subject of conversation. We can and will expouse at length on our health problems, even intimate ones, but money is taboo. Some don't talk because they have none, some don't because they do.
It is accepted that this is the way it is. Thus, there is very little guidance beyond the pundits and the advisors. There is no schooling on money in the education system either. Even an objective use of money, banks, checking accounts, interest rates. Nope, it is for every person to learn this for themselves.
I don't know if I don't or do know any BHs. It is all a mystery. No one talks.
If someone does talk money they do not talk specifics. Not like they post their AAA here in exact amounts. No one would do that person to person. Anonymously we can lay it out, but not face to face.
Last edited by Shallowpockets on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 pm

OP,

1) I come from a multi-generation business family. So, we talk about business during meals.

2) I come from a culture/community with an average gross saving rate of 30+%. I save 30+% of my gross income. But, many of my family members think that I am not frugal.

3) Many of my friends and family member are a lot richer than me. One of my family member "cash flow" his 3 kids' through private colleges plus giving each one of them about 200K before they graduated college.

4) My older brother and sister early retired at 49 years old.

5) In summary, I am average or below average in term of my friends and family member.

6) I used to work in a division of a megacorp that used to be a startup that bought out by the megacorp. So, many of the folks that I worked with have a net worth of a few million to a few hundred million.

7) I am way below average among many folks that I worked with too.

KlangFool

RNJ

Post by RNJ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Zero.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:51 pm

As far as the investment philosophy? It's never come up among acquaintances, although I've evangelized to family. As far as living beneath your means, etc., of my professional circle there's often some tells: knows about the 457b/403b, has plans to retire at 59.5, understands the HSA at work, offhand comments about economists, etc.

But honestly, I'm not in a position to judge anyone's means. I don't know whether they are from money, or have loans, or received help for college or a down payment.

lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:54 pm

I don't know a single one, and I am one now but the old me wasn't. The only exception is my spouse, who is amazing. Not into investing but so LBYM that all else simply follows from that.
“Groucho, how do you invest your money?” | “All in bonds.” | “But Groucho, they don’t pay much return.” | “They do when you have a lot of em!”

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 pm
As a society we are all bottled up about money. Personal finance is not a subject of conversation. We can and will expose at length on our health problems, even intimate ones, but money is taboo. Some don't talk because they have none, some don't because they do.
It is accepted that this is the way it is. Thus, there is very little guidance beyond the pundits and the advisors. There is no schooling on money in the education system either. Even an objective use of money, banks, checking accounts, interest rates. Nope, it is for every person to learn this for themselves.
If someone does talk money they do not talk specifics. Not like they post their AAA here in exact amounts. No one would do that person to person. Anonymously we can lay it out, but not face to face.
I don't talk investing with hardly anyone. But I can make a fairly wild guess about the financial health of many of my acquaintances. For those in professional jobs I can make a reasonable or fairly accurate guess as to income. If I am curious I can look up what they paid for their houses and when. I can see the vehicles they drive and hear about the vacations they take. I know where they send their kids to college. I know what it costs to have your kid on that travel soccer team or travel baseball team. I know what it costs to basically never cook and eat out or eat takeout most meals. I know what it costs to buy a beach house or ski cabin around here and what the likely rental returns are on AirB&B. So I can make some educated guesses about who is just treading water vs who is winning the game. I expect there are a few who may have inherited wealth but in my circle, not many. At least not real wealth.

Yes, I really don't know what kind of dollars most of my acquaintances are saving and what kind of asset allocations they have and with what funds. The few I actually do know about are Fisher Investment and Edward Jones types. So I think it is pretty save to conclude that I know very few bogleheads in real life.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm

I know lots of LBYM and index-fund folks. I don't think they read the forum or would know what a Boglehead is, though.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:07 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 pm
As a society we are all bottled up about money. Personal finance is not a subject of conversation. We can and will expouse at length on our health problems, even intimate ones, but money is taboo. Some don't talk because they have none, some don't because they do.
Agreed. Handling money is not genetic and is not visceral for most. It is a learned trait. The PROBLEM is up to 10+ years ago there was no easy place to go if you were interested (now we and others have bogleheads). I remember being a first year attending dating my now wife and figured as we were getting serious I should start figuring out what to do with money. My dad was useless (even though he basically is a boglehead), but just didn't feel inclined to teach me EVEN when asked. My senior partners were buying individual stocks which I knew nothing about but just didn't feel right. So, I went to the main public library and amongst the 5-10 rows of finance (we live in a major metro city) I randomly picked out Mr. Gibson "Asset Allocation" and Mr. Bogle edition to Little book series. I'm so thankful NOT for the authors, but I didn't pick out a Jim Cramer book or the like. My financial life would have turned out A LOT different if I picked up the wrong book!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Zero (that I know of)

In fact, many people I know are financially illiterate. I know this because they are the ones that constantly provide me with unsolicited financial advice.
Funding secured

yousha

Post by yousha » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:13 pm

pdavi21 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm
I know a lot who preach it but don't practice it. It's kind of like a religion: people swear by the rules, yet do the exact opposite themselves.
That is so!

tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:13 pm

I occasionaly think about the answer to this question because I know the common refrain is that most people are not saving enough, living beyond their means, etc. I would say I know quite a few Bogleheads (the majority of our friends and some work associates). They may not identify themselves as such, or even know the term, but they do live their lives accordingly. My circle of friends is largely physicians and professors in a mid-size college town in the midwest. So, maybe my experience is skewed by the fact that most are high earners in a MCOL town and keeping up with Joneses really isn't a thing around here. On the other hand, I can identify a few who are anti-Boglehead and live beyond their means. But, I really do think the savers outnumber the spenders, at least in my circle (work/friends).

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Almost certainly fewer than I "know" on other (non-financial) internet fora. It always surprises me when this forum is mentioned on other sites--usually one poster recommeding it to another.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:29 pm

None. The only two who ever mentioned this sort of thing were into 1) variable annuities or 2) Edward Jones.

And both were still very anxious about their choices

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Your description of a boglehead excludes most of the people on this site as well. In the real world I know one or two in the general vicinity of being a boglehead. Hopefully, my kids will catch on as well.

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm

I actually know no one in real life who is a serious investor (beyond just doing the 401k) who is actually a DIY investor. Every single other person I know has "their guy". Most recently I had a conversation about retirement with a single HS assistant principal who is my age (55). He was planning to go see "his guy" to find out where he was at with his investments and when he could retire. He had no actual idea.

Teachers I know who actually do invest beyond their pensions most commonly get caught up in high priced variable annuities because that is the only option sold to them (often from someone they know from church or someplace like that). Most don't know they have other low priced DIY options in this state because no one ever tells them and they don't know where to look. And "their guy" would never tell them.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm

You're describing someone with high income more than a boglehead. Maxing all available tax advantaged accounts is out of reach for the majority of Americans. Boglehead principles can be applied with much smaller accounts and will still matter.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:04 pm

I know many. I live in a relatively wealthy area, so pretty much everybody has a retirement plan if still working.

I had someone two weeks ago while I was walking my dog try to explain to me what VTI, VXUS, BND, and BNDX were. I am happy to talk investing to anyone. When two young guys like myself are out walking dogs in the late morning, one can assume they no longer work for a living, so the topic of investing comes up. When investing comes up, I routinely state that I only use index funds. It is no longer surprising to me that many people know about Vanguard and many people state they have most of their 401(k) in index funds.

There were 2 financial advisors living close by, but they moved to more expensive neighborhoods.

I've been to lunches and dinners with members who post on this forum, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

am

Post by am » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32 pm

My circle of MDs and other professionals I know leads me to believe that few know much about low cost indexing, frugal lifestyle,or want to manage investments themselves. Many have too much house, fancy cars, other expensive tastes. I’m mid career and have almost never seen an MD retire early. How hard is it to invest using a 3 funder and live frugally? :D. I think us bogleheads are a special bunch.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 pm

pdavi21 wrote:
Interesting. What sorts of deviations? I somewhat fall into this as a die-hard index fan (albeit with a SCV tilt) who is allocating some Roth funds to a leveraged risk-parity portfolio... oops.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm

The only person I know is my brother, who is also the only person who asked me for financial advice and actually did anything with the information and resources I gave to him.

My friends and coworkers are pretty close to financially illiterate. Best case scenario is they contribute enough to their 401k to get the company match but remain heavily over invested in company stock.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 pm

A friend, a colleague, a brother and my wife.

If you mean frugal, then most of my family, but not everyone invests.

On my wife's side, those who invest have a "guy". They do not invest on their own.
My guess is that they pay much higher fees, but we don't get that deep into finances.

One BIL on my wife's side (about 10 yrs older) thinks he know a lot about finances
(and everything else) but his net worth came from inherited farmland that he sold,
not from his own efforts.
At Christmas, he advised my wife that we should have a million dollars before we retire.
I assume that he thought that she would be impressed, and that we would never get there.
To her credit she didn't tell let on that we are already well beyond that point.

Post by 2015 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 pm

One thing I have to say about Los Angeles where I came from, is people there were just too interesting to be talking about money. In LA, people come with their Game on, always working on making one thing happen or another. In that respect, it's a fascinating, rip roaring torrent of constant ideation kind of place, and the conversations mirrored that. It's kind of crass to reduce that kind of creativity down to money.

Talking about money to me is like talking about diet/exercise. Those that do, don't have to talk. Those that don't, have to talk. Nothing zaps my energy more than people not in action in their lives moving their mouth a lot. I seek the opposite kind of people, those who are far ahead of me in whatever game I happen to be playing.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Maybe 2. Two friends that I have shown an interest in being enlightened. I am surrounded by family members that are extremely bright and successful. Silicon Valley (very) successful. They have no interest in talking personal finance. They posture that they are above it. They would rather pay another rich and smart person like themselves to guide them through it. I find it foolish, but I am not in that circle.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:42 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 pm
pdavi21 wrote:
Interesting. What sorts of deviations? I somewhat fall into this as a die-hard index fan (albeit with a SCV tilt) who is allocating some Roth funds to a leveraged risk-parity portfolio... oops.
Most time the market and own a significant portion of portfolio in individual securities, cash, gold, etc.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm

I don't usually talk about finance with friends or acquaintances, only if someone else brings it up, which is rare. Since I live outside the US, I haven't had a chance to go to a bogleheads convention and meet others face to face. The only other possible person is my sister. When our parents passed, at her request I wrote out an investing plan with a suggestion of index funds. I hope but don't know that she followed that plan.
Regards, | | Guy

are_cynic

Post by are_cynic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 pm

I know a few fair weather Boglehead types, but no true believers. They pay lip service to the tenets of the philosophy but wouldn’t be able to defend it if pressed, or if circumstances were adverse. Everyone is a genius in a bull market.

To borrow from Charlie Munger, they haven’t done the work required to hold an opinion, which entails being able to explain the position of an opponent better than can the opponent. They do the right thing without knowing why it’s the right thing. I don’t know why this annoys me.
"Invert, always invert" ~Carl Jacobi

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm

I work with a bunch of non-IT engineers who almost all appear to be pretty frugal, and in some instances, downright cheap. Certainly they have high savings rates because they don't appear to spend much money on anything. But I have no idea whether they are following boglehead investment philosophies or are just putting it in CD's at the bank. I've never witnessed a conversation about investments or even the funds available in our 401k at work. So no, I don't know of any bogleheads in real life for certain.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm

I've tried to convert everyone I know. I'm not sure anyone has even signed up for an account :(

I hate to see my teacher friends go into the teacher's lounge and talk to the "financial advisers" that show up frequently....

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm

I have to agree with most of the responders here. If you read this board for a while, you'll get the idea there are perhaps not many who really believe and follow the Boglehead philosophy, as outlined in the wiki. I find it fascinating at this very time there's a thread on this board with already more than 500 posts in a few days, excitedly following an extremely non-Bogelheadian strategy which the author correctly admits is risky and yet others are already suggesting they will do the same thing, with and without variations (breathlessly, "...what if I add snack food futures? What the heck, I've got 30 years!")
Last edited by SevenBridgesRoad on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Most of our friends/family/colleagues are LBYM types, with a few notable exceptions.

The investment part, though, is something they have no interest in. Or maybe they have “a guy.”

My educated guess is that the LBYM people will OK financially. However, they could have been more comfortable and/or left more of a legacy if they’d been willing to spend a couple hours a week educating themselves and being proactive with their money.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:21 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm
I have to agree with most of the responders here. If you read this board for a while, you'll get the idea there are perhaps not many who really believe and follow the Boglehead philosophy, as outlined in the wiki. I find it fascinating at this very time there's a thread on this board with already more than 500 posts in a few days, excitedly following an extremely non-Bogelheadian strategy which the author correctly admits is risky and yet others are already suggesting they will do the same thing, with and without variations (breathlessly, "...what if I add snack food futures? What the heck, I've got 30 years!")
Bitcoin?

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:21 pm

I didn't think I knew any before, and it was confirmed the other day.

I was at a gathering with about eight of my neighbors. I asked the group...By the way, did you hear that Jack Bogle died?

They all looked at me with a blank stare. 'nuff said.

Last edited by 1210sda on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm
I actually know no one in real life who is a serious investor (beyond just doing the 401k) who is actually a DIY investor. Every single other person I know has "their guy". Most recently I had a conversation about retirement with a single HS assistant principal who is my age (55). He was planning to go see "his guy" to find out where he was at with his investments and when he could retire. He had no actual idea.

Teachers I know who actually do invest beyond their pensions most commonly get caught up in high priced variable annuities because that is the only option sold to them (often from someone they know from church or someplace like that). Most don't know they have other low priced DIY options in this state because no one ever tells them and they don't know where to look. And "their guy" would never tell them.
This is pretty much my experience as well. I know some "savers" who use Ameriprise or Edward Jones, etc.

The only one I know who is a DIY investor is actually a financial advisor!

He was hired by my previous employer to come in twice a year to counsel and advise employees.

He'd spend 2-3 hours doing that and then he and I would spend several hours talking investment theory and bogelheads stuff.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

scottinmet

Post by scottinmet » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm
When reading these forums it is easy to get the impression that one is well behind the curve if we aren't maxing out our 401(k)s, backdoor Roth IRAs, HSAs, 529s, and making savvy taxable investments while living beneath one's means with a 15-year fixed mortage and paid-off used cars. It can be humbling to read the ruthless efficiency to which many of you have gotten your financial houses in order.
Besides the people on this forum, I don't know anyone who comes close to me. There may be one or two at work but we don't talk much about finances. Two week skiing trips, month long overseas trips, and get-rich quick schemes dominate most of the lunch room talk.

That's not to say they won't have happy retirements, but I suspect it will take longer before they reach FI, unless they have large inheritances waiting for them.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Two. (not including family members) If I include relatives, then 5. Of the five, two are serious indexers who like to tilt, use Mega Back Door Roth, practice TLH and max out all available tax deferred options. Two of the other five, are serious buy and hold investors owning both index and individual value equity, practice TLH, max out all available tax deferred options, are beyond frugal even though they can never spend their assets in their remaining lifetimes :shock: , focused on continual investing. Their heirs are going to be very happy. The other one is a Boglehead when it comes to retirement investing, uses index funds, maxes out the 401k plan, but no longer does IRA due to money constraints. Still, has managed to escape clutches of those higher priced advisors.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

IPS&IPA

Post by IPS&IPA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:35 pm

most of my friends are deadheads, don't know if they are also BH's.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Jake: Hit it.

warner25

Post by warner25 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:38 pm

I actually made new friend through work a few months ago who is a reader of the forum. It was and still is very exciting. Also very unexpected after a decade of reading this forum and suggesting it to people who've never heard of it.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 pm

I don't even consider half of you on here bogleheads since you don't invest in international :mrgreen:

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 pm

I don't know any other BHs----that I know of.

Because I'm a teacher, I do have friends who are frugal savers and have amassed plenty of wealth.

But I am constantly astounded by friends and acquaintances who occasionally let slip out how broke---or indebted---they are! Yikes. These are smart, talented people who just have not managed their money.

Since my SO and I are the "stealth wealth" types, they probably have no idea about our situation.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm

IPS&IPA wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:35 pm
most of my friends are deadheads, don't know if they are also BH's.
I've got a lot of those too!

I don't expect much overlap.

But then there's you.......????
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

l1am

Post by l1am » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:48 pm

Zero, including myself. I don't like labels like that.

- I do follow a lazy 3-fund portfolio strategy for the most part, inspired by Bogle's philosophy.
- I do hold a reasonable percentage also in individual stocks.
- I do hold cryptocurrency.
- I do gamble some money in other higher risk investments, casino games etc.
- I do consciously make "bad purchases" from a purely financial perspective sometimes.

So, idk is that a "boglehead"?

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:02 pm

A few (4 people ages 25-40). I was turned onto BH philosophy by people I met in real life, most notably a MMM subscriber who introduced me to MMM, which led to Mad Fientist--> JLCollinsNH-->White Coat Investor-->Bogleheads-->Random Walk Down Wall Street--> Rick Ferri-->Current Investment Plan & Asset Allocation.

The key characteristic that separates BHers (and similar) I have met from others is that (1) they had a memorable negative experience or lack of options in life they believe was caused or exacerbated by lack of financial security and (2) they have a clear end goal (a number, a lifestyle, options) that they are actively working towards to never repeat that situation again. Most "normal" people I know are focused on keeping alive the dream of a high ceiling instead of guaranteeing a high floor.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Three, my 2 brothers and my sister. My other brother and I are spendthrifts, it’s the Leo in us. :D

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Most of the people I know don’t want to talk money. Quite a few have government pensions. My brothers lips are sealed. Cousins lips sealed too. I had a co-worker who insisted sociall security would be enough. He didn’t even put in enough to get the match in 401k. He also had new cars and badges all the time. :oops:

So I don’t know how many follow boglehead principles.