My Christmas Present To You

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
MoonOrb

Re: My Christmas Present To You

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:26 am

I look forward to this post every year.

Taylor, Merry Christmas to your and your loved ones and thank you for your service to our country and this community.

alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:57 am

Both my grandfathers (who also were about your age then) also encountered acts of great kindness, even from the "enemy", when they were forced into fighting in the German Wehrmacht.

Taylor, thank you for the contributions you made back then, helping to free my country from the unbelievable evil which it had allowed to take over.

Thank you for the contributions you are continuing to make today towards this community.

Merry and peaceful Christmas to you and your loved ones, and all Bogleheads.

“Peace is not everything, but everything is nothing without peace.” (Willy Brandt)

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:48 am

Oh, dear Taylor, thank you for sacrificing to help this country, this world, me, and humanity as a whole. While you were at Bastogne, I was 11 years old. While you were fighting, I and my family were glued to our radio to hear of the war and where our country's fighting boys were sacrificing themselves to stop those maniacs of the Axis. In particular, I remember vividly the reports of your battle and we were worried. We prayed. Then we heard and read of the "NUTS" declaration and laughed and gave a loud yell. The country did. I was at a movie theater when the the newsreel showed pictures at Bastogne and the patrons cheered. Back then, whenever the US flag would appear on the screen in the movie or the newsreels, the crowd cheered, but when the "NUTS" was heard, they cheered the loudest. They laughed, too.
Thank you, Taylor, for contributing to that victory.
It is wonderful that you are meeting, on your cruise, with the descendants of that family who provided comfort to you. That is another reason you are special. God Bless You. Thank you.
Jim
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:59 am

Taylor,

Thank you so much for your service. Look forward to this message each year.

Best wishes to you this Holiday Season, Merry Christmas!

SGM

Post by SGM » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:13 am

Thank you Taylor. What a wonderful reunion you will have. We owe so much to those who sacrificed so that we could maintain our freedoms. Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:44 am

Taylpr,

As I have said in previous years, you continue to amaze and inspire us all. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - and many more!
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:04 am

Thank you and Merry Christmas. I hope you and the family's descendants have a wonderful time!

JT

JPH

Post by JPH » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:07 am

Thank you, Taylor. Best Christmas present I ever received.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:58 am

I am relatively new to this forum & have been blessed at every reading.

Mr. Larimore, thank you for your service to our country as a young man! So that you will know, I offer my appreciation to every one of my patients of your generation, both male & female. We owe our freedoms & way of life to so many who were on the front lines, in a support position or at home keeping everything moving forward.

Mr. Larimore, thank you for your service to those of us who are wise enough to listen as you (and so many others) educate us through our investment portion of our lives.

It is an honor to receive your Christmas gift!

Merry Christmas to all;-)
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste..." Epictecus

hamishdad

Post by hamishdad » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:35 am

God bless you, Taylor. My uncle was also a paratrooper at the Battle of the Bulge, and received the Purple Heart for getting severe frostbite during it. It was so bad, he almost had his feet amputated. Your heroics changed the outcome of the war and made the world a better place.

Hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas!

Jim

Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:41 am

This former Marine salutes you and thanks you for your service to this great country.

Merry Christmas!
Rob

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:59 am

Thank you Taylor for your service during World War II. Many best wishes and Merry Christmas.
A fool and his money are good for business.

BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:12 am

Merry christmas Taylor - and thank you sir. We are all in your debt.

The Outsider

Post by The Outsider » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:17 am

RESPECT.

Thank You.

Merry Christmas

GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:42 am

Taylor. First Christmas here. Thank you for this wonderful message and your service. Enjoy the holidays.

Post by 2015 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:20 pm

ByThePond wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Mr. Larimore, Thank you for your service then and now on this forum.

There's a reason your cohort is called "the greatest generation". It's a tough act to follow.

Merry Christmas, and may your cruise bring closure, comfort and balance.
Agreed. It's rather chilling to think how different the world might be today had it not been for the sacrifices of The Greatest Generation. Thank you for a life of contribution, Taylor.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:33 pm

My foxhole was in the front yard of the Steveler family
I'll bet you did not hear this while seeking cover in that hole, "Hey you Americans, get off my front lawn." :D

Merry Christmas Taylor. I always look forward to your Christmas greeting to us Bogleheads annually.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

dachshunddad

Post by dachshunddad » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Thank you Taylor for your service. And thanks all the other men and women in the bogleheads community who have/are served our country. Merry Christmas.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Taylor,

This paratrooper salutes you. Merry Christmas!

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm

You ever have one of those moments where someone gets you something of so much more value then what you got them? I'm feeling that now. Thanks to Taylor and all the other veterans for giving so much.

This was always my favorite portion of the movie Patton. When Patton turns the Third Army 90 degrees and moves 125 miles in 72 hours in a raging snowstorm to relieve Bastogne I always get a little misty. Now I can think of Taylor when I watch that scene!
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you Taylor for your dedication and service to our country. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Merry Christmas and Thank you Taylor!

brendavid

Post by brendavid » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Taylor,

Thank you for service and all your contributions, you are an extraordinary man. Please keep sharing in your knowledge and experiences.

Geno

Post by Geno » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Thank you for service Taylor.

It was a great pleasure to have met you and Taffy last January in Miami. A moment we'll always remember.

God Bless
Gene and Maria
Renton,WA
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.

chw

Post by chw » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Thank you for your service many years ago Taylor. What a special way to remember that moment many years ago with the family that supported you that night, and the one that you were able to build.

Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Thank you Taylor, for your extremely important service to our country, all those years ago. Thank you also, for your continued help to all those who post their questions to you here, at our Bogleheads site.

You enrich the lives of all who have had the good fortune to have met you, and those who know you through your extensive writings. Your friendship, and guidance have helped me through the years, soon after my father passed.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas aboard the cruise ship. As so many others, I wish I were there with you too. We missed you at Bogleheads 2018, and I sure hope Katie and I will get to see you again next year.

With love and best wishes always,

Kathleen Ryan

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Thank you, Taylor. Enjoy your cruise with your family and friends.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Happy Holidays to you too Taylor(TL).
I'm always glad to hear of your well being. I suspect you sought out that family to thank them personally in regards to how their family had assisted your well being in that circumstance way back then, if thats the case,..wow, just wow.
Some never do forget. :happy

Theres no day I know of better than most days on the water as long as one gets back to shore safely. I hope you have a interesting, safe & great time.
I'm sure your many posts on your endorsed investing advocacies have helped both others and certainly myself enormously in the last decade during my reading them on M* & BH.org.

If I knew how w/photoshop /img./url./ tiny.pic/CCP properly/ re-host it elsewhere /resize properly/ yada,yada,yada, etc.
I'd post a picture of you labeled genuine class , not a class act*, here in my reply.

I've known many class acts*, their reality usually differed.
They were acting, unlike yourself.

Best wishes.....
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

brian.h

Post by brian.h » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Sir,

I’m incredibly humbled by you and your service. Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

-Brian

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor! Thank you for your service and annual present, much appreciated.
Enjoy your cruise!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Thank you for all you have done!

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you Mr Larimore

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:43 pm
Bogleheads:

Seventy-four years ago, on Christmas Eve, during the Battle of the Bulge, I was a 20-year old scared paratrooper in a snow-covered foxhole protecting the important transportation town of Bastogne, Belgium.

My foxhole was in the front yard of the Steveler family who brought me warm food and hot-chocolate between the fighting. The Germans had us surrounded and demanded our surrender. Our commander said "Nuts." You can read about it here:

A Freedom Shrine Document -- This is my Christmas present to you.

Note: This Christmas is special because I have invited my Miami family and descendants of the Steveler family to join me for Christmas together in the Bahamas aboard the cruise ship, Majesty of the Seas.

I wish you were with us.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Merry Christmas Taylor! Thank you for your service to our great country.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi Taylor,

Merry Christmas from Elke and me. Great to know that you're still cruising. This one should be special.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Howard Donnelly

Post by Howard Donnelly » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Merry Christmas, Taylor! I hope you all have a great time on your cruise. :happy

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:53 pm

Thank you for your service and for your true courage, which is in short supply these days.

Thank you for reminding us all what really matters.

Have a very happy holiday with your loved ones.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

Katie

Post by Katie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:36 pm

I am humbled reading this post, and honored to know you (even if it's indirectly through the forum). Your kindness and class shine in each of your posts. I hope you and your family and friends have a wonderful Christmas sharing memories of the past and dreams for the future.

rick2427

Post by rick2427 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Mr. Larimore, thank you for your service to our nation and also to the Bogleheads!
Merry Christmas and a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2019 to you and your family!

God Bless!!

TM90

Post by TM90 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:59 am

Taylor I'm also from Belgium and I would like to thank you for your efforts in the war and for your teachings on finance.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am

Taylor, thank you for this wonderful gift. I look forward to it each year.

Yours is the gift that keeps on giving!

I hope you enjoy your time with the Steveler family.

Carmen1409

Post by Carmen1409 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:58 am

Taylor, My sincerest thanks for your service and for this Christmas gift!
Last edited by Carmen1409 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebes19

Post by thebes19 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:29 am

I just registered to thank you for your service, for all your investment advice over the years, and to wish you a Merry Christmas!
Cheers!

alfonsejr

Post by alfonsejr » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Taylor,
Thank you for this Christmas gift; thank you for your service! My grandfather was also in the 101st at Bastogne, gliders.
Same as previous poster, I just now registered to respond in your link. Such a great Christmas cruise for you and your group.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Taylor - Thank you so much for your service and for sharing this wonderful reminder of what freedom and American greatness really mean. Merry Christmas, happy 2019, and an early happy birthday!

sam5

Post by sam5 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Merry Christmas, Taylor!

Ever Ready

Post by Ever Ready » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:44 pm

Taylor,
Thank you for your service and your leadership and contributions to the forum. Merry Christmas!
Ed

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Taylor, thank you for your service... in WW2, in every job you've ever held, and to the Bogleheads community.

Reading your story about Christmas Eve 1944 reminds me that my Dad spent that period in a German POW camp. It reminds me to be grateful to you and other members of The Greatest Generation who did the right thing, over and over and over again. It reminds me how lucky we Baby Boomers are to have the benefits of freedom and prosperity from the hard work and sacrifices by those who came before us. Thank you.

Nthomas

Post by Nthomas » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:27 pm

Beautiful. Thank you.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Merry Christmas, Taylor.

(I waited until Christmas Eve to post.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:01 am

Taylor,
I admit that I hadn't clicked on your thread because I knew what was in it from prior years. I finally did only because I wanted to say "Thank you!" once again.
Merry Christmas!