Special DC Bogleheads Meeting with Steve Goss, Chief Actuary of Soc Security

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
bobcat2

Special DC Bogleheads Meeting with Steve Goss, Chief Actuary of Soc Security

Post by bobcat2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 pm

The next meeting of DC Bogleheads will be Sunday, December 9, from 2:30-4:30 in the auditorium of the Arlington Central library in Ballston. Our special guest speaker will be Stephen Goss, the Chief Actuary of Social Security.

The Office of Chief Actuary plans and directs a program of actuarial estimates and analyses relating to SSA-administered retirement, survivors and disability insurance programs and to proposed changes in those programs. It evaluates operations of the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund and the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund, conducts studies of program financing, performs actuarial and demographic research on social insurance and related program issues, and projects future workloads. The Office provides technical and consultative services to the Commissioner, to the Board of Trustees of the Social Security Trust Funds, and its staff appears before Congressional Committees to provide expert testimony on the actuarial aspects of Social Security issues.

The Office consists of a professional staff of over 40 actuaries, economists, demographers, statisticians and other professionals to assess the financial viability of the Social Security program over the next 75 years. All proposals for changes in the Social Security system are evaluated by the Office and the viability of the program over the next 75 years is evaluated every year by the Office with the findings subject to oversight by a panel of outside experts in the fields of demographics and economics.

Mr Goss has held the position of Chief Actuary since 2001. In short, Steve knows more about the finances of the Social Security program than anybody else in the world. Steve is also an excellent public speaker who is both quick witted and humorous. We are very fortunate that Steve has accepted an invitation to speak to our group.

It seems to me that hardly a meeting of DC Bogleheads goes by without someone bringing up when to start Social Security and then others chiming in about worries of future cuts to the program. So here's your chance to ask questions about the Social Security program to someone who is truly an expert.

Lastly, the Office of the Chief Actuary of Social Security is the arbiter of the Social Security program. Steve can tell you the plusses and minuses of different proposals to change Social Security, but he cannot make recommendations. He is the umpire; not the manager.

Hope to see you on December 9.

Best,
Bob K
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

Mel Lindauer

Re: Special DC Bogleheads Meeting with Steve Goss, Chief Actuary of Soc Security

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:26 pm

bobcat2 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 pm
The next meeting of DC Bogleheads will be Sunday, December 9, from 2:30-4:30 in the auditorium of the Arlington Central library in Ballston. Our special guest speaker will be Stephen Goss, the Chief Actuary of Social Security.

The Office of Chief Actuary plans and directs a program of actuarial estimates and analyses relating to SSA-administered retirement, survivors and disability insurance programs and to proposed changes in those programs. It evaluates operations of the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund and the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund, conducts studies of program financing, performs actuarial and demographic research on social insurance and related program issues, and projects future workloads. The Office provides technical and consultative services to the Commissioner, to the Board of Trustees of the Social Security Trust Funds, and its staff appears before Congressional Committees to provide expert testimony on the actuarial aspects of Social Security issues.

The Office consists of a professional staff of over 40 actuaries, economists, demographers, statisticians and other professionals to assess the financial viability of the Social Security program over the next 75 years. All proposals for changes in the Social Security system are evaluated by the Office and the viability of the program over the next 75 years is evaluated every year by the Office with the findings subject to oversight by a panel of outside experts in the fields of demographics and economics.

Mr Goss has held the position of Chief Actuary since 2001. In short, Steve knows more about the finances of the Social Security program than anybody else in the world. Steve is also an excellent public speaker who is both quick witted and humorous. We are very fortunate that Steve has accepted an invitation to speak to our group.

It seems to me that hardly a meeting of DC Bogleheads goes by without someone bringing up when to start Social Security and then others chiming in about worries of future cuts to the program. So here's your chance to ask questions about the Social Security program to someone who is truly an expert.

Lastly, the Office of the Chief Actuary of Social Security is the arbiter of the Social Security program. Steve can tell you the plusses and minuses of different proposals to change Social Security, but he cannot make recommendations. He is the umpire; not the manager.

Hope to see you on December 9.

Best,
Bob K
What a great coup in getting him. You deserve a big "Ataboy", Bob.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Special DC Bogleheads Meeting with Steve Goss, Chief Actuary of Soc Security

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 pm

What a coup! Wish I was in dc area to attend.
Sounds like it will be a fantastic presentation. Would you kindly be able to share your findings with the forum?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 pm
What a coup! Wish I was in dc area to attend.
Sounds like it will be a fantastic presentation. Would you kindly be able to share your findings with the forum?
Indeed a coup! I too wish I could attend. I hope someone will take notes and share here.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Wow—can’t wait to read summaries from lucky attendees!

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:24 am

My parents will be in town that weekend and are interested, so I may attend with them and my wife (4 people). I was last at a DC area Bogleheads meeting in early 2017 probably.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am

Are guest Bogleheads allowed to attend? I attend the South Florida chapter but would love to hear this speaker, and since my daughter lives in the area I can combine bogleheads business with family pleasure, or vice versa :D

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am

Excellent! Wish I were there.

Can you put it out on the web live or record for a video?

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:10 am

any streaming options available? I'd love to listen in.