RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 9:30 AM Sat December 8, 2018

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 9:30 AM Sat December 8, 2018

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Bogleheads,

Meeting 31 of the Research Triangle Park Bogleheads has been scheduled for 9:30-11:00 AM Saturday December 8, 2018.... see below for directions.

I'll likely have light fare available such as bagels and juice. Please let me know if you plan to join us so I can plan accordingly. Hope to see you there!

Building 54
500 N. Duke St.
Durham, NC 27701

Park in any spot NOT marked with a "BW". (if you forget this and accidentally park in a spot marked "BW", your car would possibly be towed!) The desired "non-BW" spots are at the north end of the building -- most of them are in front of the building at 600 N. Duke St. Then walk to the 2nd-to-left entrance of 500 N. Duke St., the building 54 entrance. The community room is behind the patio.

Google Map is here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=500+N.+Du ... 1&t=m&z=17

Note: Per this URL there is a holiday parade on Durham's Main St. scheduled to start at 10:00 AM that day: https://www.discoverdurham.com/includes ... est/93933/ I'm not sure but there is some chance that cross traffic on N. Duke St. and Main St. may be blocked off that morning on account of the parade. Hopefully that wouldn't happen until after the 10:00 AM parade start! However, in case there is any concern about reaching 500 N. Duke St. you may wish to approach from I-85 (not Highway 147), that is take the Duke St./Gregson St. exit off I-85, go south on N. Gregson St., Left onto Morgan St., Left onto N. Duke St. then up to 500 N. Duke. That way you would avoid Main St. entirely.

Just FYI, after most of the previous meetings I posted a short summary... in case these are of interest, please check towards the end of these topics: Also FYI I set up a Master Thread for RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads Chapter forum topic that you may wish to subscribe to... I'll try to remember to post a reminder of future RTP Bogleheads meetings to that topic.

Finally for those local 'heads not already on the list, I set up a Yahoo "rtpbogleheads" email list for our local chapter. Please consider joining the list to help our chapter communications (see below for joining details). From the group's description:
Welcome to the yahoo group of the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina Area Bogleheads Chapter. The Bogleheads are an investing and personal finance interest group inspired by the example of Jack Bogle, the founder of the Vanguard mutual fund company.

This list is primarily to foster easy communications among our local chapter members, in particular regarding reminders and logistics on upcoming meetings which we hope to hold approximately quarterly. All are encouraged to continue use the national forum (bogleheads.org) for most postings.

Please stick to the spirit of the national chapter's forum policies and etiquette: basically, keep to investing topics and stay away from politics. Further details on posting etiquette can be found here: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405

Initially this list will be configured to allow through all member postings in an un-moderated fashion, though adjustments may be made later as deemed appropriate by the list manager.

If you're interested to know of other local Boglehead chapters, please see the Google Map maintained by Mel Lindauer at http://www.lostsprings.com/diehards/chapters/

Thank you!

Steve Thorpe
RTP Area Bogleheads Chapter Organizer
rtpbogleheads Yahoo Group Addresses are:

Code: Select all

Subscribe:          rtpbogleheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Post message:       rtpbogleheads@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:        rtpbogleheads-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner:         rtpbogleheads-owner@yahoogroups.com
Group home page:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rtpbogleheads
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about yahoo group logistics.

Best wishes.
Last edited by Steve Thorpe on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Re: RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 9:30 AM Sat December 8, 2018

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Boglehead friends,

Just posting a reminder about tomorrow's meeting. Please take special note of the directions (try to approach from the North rather than from the Main St. Direction), also don't park in a spot marked "BW").

Ed has kindly volunteered to supply bagels and juice.

Thanks and I hope to see you at 9:30 AM!

Steve
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Re: RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 9:30 AM Sat December 8, 2018

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Boglehead friends,

Yesterday's meeting was a delightful 2+ hour conversation among approximately a dozen attendees, fueled by bagels provided by our generous long-time member Ed.

We touched on many topics including (in no particular order):

* Henry gave an excellent summary of the 2018 national Bogleheads conference highlights

* Chong and Ed described their recent research work related to prior mutual fund performance

* Juanita shared an article describing flaws of the typical 401(k) plan (the most egregious being high costs!)

* Negotiating a flat cash price up-front for medical services

* Mutual funds vs. individual stocks for taxable accounts, which one is best for tax-efficiency?

* A common Boglehead characteristic is being reluctant to spend at their means, even if they have way more money than needed to last a lifetime

* Tax Loss Harvesting

* Individual stocks as a "fun money bucket" vs. Mutual funds (more boring but tend to work excellently!)

* Factor investing

* Projected returns for stocks / bonds moving forward (very possibly will be lower than prior returns)

* Allan Roth's strategy of buying CDs with low-prepayment penalties as a way to handle rising interest rates

* Jonathan Clements' web site HumbleDollar.com

* White Coat Investor

As always, it was great to see everyone. Thanks and I hope to see you again in a few months!

Steve
Steve Thorpe