michael survivors

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
CaliJim

michael survivors

Post by CaliJim »

Hello Taylor, Mel, BH Floridians and others in the hurricanes path.

I just saw some video of the devestation @ mexico beach fl. Yikes. Looks bad.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery to you!

If you don't have a grab'n'go bag packed.... now is a good time to put one together!!!!

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2009/ ... -essential

-jim-
Last edited by CaliJim on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Rupert

Re: michael survivors

Post by Rupert »

If anyone knows how Cape San Blas fared, please post. It's the one community I can't find any reference to, or photos of, in the news, but I know it must have been hit hard.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I was planning a trip to that area this week. Glad I changed my plans. Much devastation all along the BIG Bend.

God Help You All!
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

CaliJim wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm Hello Taylor, Mel, BH Floridians and others in the hurricanes path.

If you don't have a grab'n'go bag packed.... now is a good time to put one together!!!!

-jim-
Thanks for your concern, Jim. Fortunately both Taylor and I live on the east coast and we escaped Michael's fury. We just got some high winds and tides and some rain from the outer bands, but basically it didn't impact us other than that.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 pm
CaliJim wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm Hello Taylor, Mel, BH Floridians and others in the hurricanes path.

-jim-
Thanks for your concern, Jim. Fortunately both Taylor and I live on the east coast and we escaped Michael's fury. We just got some high winds and tides and some rain from the outer bands, but basically it didn't impact us other than that.
Nice to hear that. Thank goodness.
jryan

Post by jryan »

Rupert wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm If anyone knows how Cape San Blas fared, please post.
Hi Rupert,

Perhaps you can use these as a starting point: Perhaps a Google image search for "Cape San Blas, FL" and setting a date range would be useful.

I hope that you find things better than expected.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

jryan wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am
Rupert wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm If anyone knows how Cape San Blas fared, please post.
Hi Rupert,

Perhaps you can use these as a starting point: Perhaps a Google image search for "Cape San Blas, FL" and setting a date range would be useful.

Thank you. I found the Coneheads twitter feed last night, and it has some awesome aerial photos of St. Joseph's peninsula and Port St. Joe. (Coneheads is a popular restaurant at the north end of the Cape, near the state park.) There's only one road to the Cape, and it appears that road is damaged, which explains the lack of media coverage of the area.

It appears Gulf County is still closed to everyone but first responders, so I expect a rising death toll once reports start coming out of there. The communities north of Port St. Joe, Wewahitchka, Sumatra, etc. (the homes of tupelo honey), are very poor areas with very poor infrastructure. I'm imagining the worst, unfortunately. I've often thought when visiting the area that if I ever needed to disappear -- go to ground, so to speak -- that's where I would do it.
Topic Author
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

jryan wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am
Hi Rupert,

my my, that is a lot of debris and destruction. that's why one need a big efund! and cloud based PC backups! If you had a coffee can full of gold eagles buried in the yard... you might never get to them.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Hurricane Michael

Post by LadyGeek »

[Thread merged into here, see below.]

Let's call Hurricane Michael as on-topic as a news event that transcends the Bogleheads community. Please use this thread to discuss concerns for health and welfare, assistance, and advice for those affected by the hurricane.

Prior threads:
- Oct 28, 2012 Good luck to those hit by Hurricane Sandy...
- Oct 06, 2016 Hurricane Matthew
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Swampy

Re: Hurricane Michael

Post by Swampy »

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this storm.

We were displaced for days by Hurricane Irma last year and were without power for 4-5 days. I vividly recall 2004, when we were under the gun repeatedly and didn't escape unscathed.

My take away from these storms is that everything is expendable except human life. Know your neighbors and, yes, be your brother's keeper. Most everything else can be replaced. What cannot be replaced is relegated to the sands of time.

That said, it is always a good idea to have a decent cash reserve at home since you never know what can happen, whether an electrical outage or if ATM's/credit cards/etc go down for whatever reason. Always top off your gas tank at the first signs of any impending threat and make sure you have nonperishable food and drink, clothes and medication to last a few days. Don't leave your pets behind.

If you choose to leave the area, don't wait till the last minute. You might end up stranded in a traffic jam or out of gas in a more vulnerable location than you were to start with. Depending on your geography and the direction of the approaching threat, you may not need to go far at all to get out of harm's way.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, I missed this earlier thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Post by 2015 »

It's also a reminder yet again of the importance of emergency disaster planning in advance. I have a plan in place such that if a disaster struck I could grab just 10 items in less than 30 seconds be out the door and be able to start my life over thereby minimizing disruption. I was inspired to go through this exercise by a post-Katrina survivor who put together his own plan as a result of lessons learned. I believe it's important that everyone go through this exercise.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It is also a reminder why you have (or should have) online backup. Multiple backups to devices located in your home won't work if it's no longer accessible.

As long as you know your private key to access the data, you can recover everything. Buy a new PC, then get your data.

Important: Everyone has a backup, but very few know how to restore it. Really. Now would be a good time to delete a file, then see if you can figure out how to restore from your online backup.

Go ahead, delete a file now. Why now? Because that's when disasters happen. Fires have no warning. Flood warnings will give you a few hours more. That's not enough time to educate yourself on what to do. You need to practice using your own data on your own PC.

If anyone needs assistance, start a thread in the Consumer Issues forum.
mouses

Post by mouses »

You don't need online backup if you have thumb drives in appropriate places besides your home. I can't imagine why people leave important files online, just waiting to be hacked.

Here's an article on about one of the houses that survived, one of those from a photo where everything else was leveled. My guess is, although the article didn't pin this down exactly, the building cost was doubled by the measures taken:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/14/us/h ... e=Homepage
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

mouses wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 am You don't need online backup if you have thumb drives in appropriate places besides your home. I can't imagine why people leave important files online, just waiting to be hacked.
I accept the point about hacking in the Cloud. Conversely you can lose all access to the places you put your thumb drives.

This is perhaps more clear to a non-USian, when countries close their borders (in or in-out) to citizens or non-citizen passport holders. Breakdown of civil order, etc.
Here's an article on about one of the houses that survived, one of those from a photo where everything else was leveled. My guess is, although the article didn't pin this down exactly, the building cost was doubled by the measures taken:

In this kind of situation it's very difficult to guard against total structure failure. A piece of wreckage from another building or street pole etc. blows into your window or breaks open your roof, and you are gone -- the wind tears it apart from inside.

Beach house? What happens if you get a Sandy level of storm surge? The St Jude's Day storm (a few years ago, in the English Channel) coincided with high tide. There were some quite incredible visualizations of what London would have looked like without the Thames Barrier closed - huge chunks of central London under water.

Concrete bunker will do it but then it could flood, drowning occupants. So concrete bunker above ground-- probably elevated by several feet. But you still have to have a door. And foundations can be washed away.

But we are talking reinforced concrete bunker levels of protection. And then, there's no infrastructure left when you reemerge - no food, water, gasoline, medical care etc.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

mouses wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 am You don't need online backup if you have thumb drives in appropriate places besides your home. I can't imagine why people leave important files online, just waiting to be hacked.

Your online data is already out waiting to be hacked no matter what you do. As those victimized by various hacks already know. Your SS number, etc.

I think the risk of encrypted cloud backups being hacked is one of the lowest risk problems I have. Properly backing up and putting a thumb drive in a separate physical place often is a real pain. In a disaster you'd almost certainly lose some data.

I understand the general concern, but in practice I think the "make a physical copy and put it somewhere safe" is operationally more likely to result in data loss. And the thumb drive has to be physically secured as well (and ideally encrypted).
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

I have several friends that live in Panama City Beach. I spoke to all of them and they were among the lucky. Minor damage and a few downed trees.

Indeed, others in the area weren't so lucky. I'm driving down there next week to help people that need it.

I vacation there frequently. Love the people. Want to give back.
Funding secured