How did you become a Boglehead?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
SGM

Re: How did you become a Boglehead?

Post by SGM » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:06 am

It is hard to believe I bought the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund 30 years ago for my first child's UTMA account. I had a lot of BH qualities way before I heard the term Bogleheads. I think I first heard about Bogleheads was from one of Bernstein's books almost 10 years ago.

The main influences over the last several years were to help me clarify my own thoughts about de-risking, simplifying, social security claiming strategies, taxation and income in retirement. The site has been helpful and so has attendance at local BH meetings and the national Phillie meeting.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:08 am

John Oliver did a segment on retirement funds. Searched Index funds on Google, and came across this wonderful forum.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 am

I've always been very good with budgeting and saving but as for investing I was trying to be my own active fund manager and time the market. I came to realize that I don't have the stomach to handle owning a basket of individuals stocks only. I'm too emotional and that's the number one rule not to be when investing.

I found this website through Mr. Money Mustache found the whole philosophy refreshing. However it was the forum that really helped me out. Seeing others literally not care what the market does every day helped me rebalance our portfolio and enjoy life away from CNBC and the constant barrage of stock (mis)information.

bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 am

Jon Clements book, “You’re Lost it, Now What “.... called the Vanguard Diehards back then.