DC Bogleheads meeting with pension expert Arun Muralidhar - Sunday, July 29

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
bobcat2

DC Bogleheads meeting with pension expert Arun Muralidhar - Sunday, July 29

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, July 29, from 2:30-4:30 in the first floor auditorium of the Ballston library. Our special guest speaker will be Arun Muralidhar, his presentation will cover his new book, 50 States of Gray.

The book and presentation cover the global retirement crisis and offer innovative and practical solutions to this global problem. In particular Arun, along with Nobelist Robert Merton, have been promoting, both here in the US and in several foreign countries, a new type of government bond that pays an inflation-protected income stream for a person’s projected life in retirement.

Arun in his presentation will also discuss the MMM retirement plan that includes in addition to these new retirement bonds the late Nobelist Franco Modigliani’s innovative approach for allowing short-term borrowing from retirement plans to meet life-cycle needs, and Robert Merton’s retirement income approach. Thus the MMM plan (Merton, Modigliani, & Muralidhar).

Here are links to threads here at Bogleheads that discuss the MMM retirement plan and the proposed retirement bonds.

Links - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=211164&hilit=arun

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=248861&hilit=arun

Here is a link to the book, 50 States of Gray @ Amazon.
Link - https://www.amazon.com/States-Gray-Inno ... dpSrc=srch

Arun Muralidhar is the founder, M-Cube and AEGIS – companies that assist pension funds and sovereign funds in asset allocation, currency management, and external manager oversight. Prior to that Arun was Managing Director at JP Morgan Investments and FX Concepts. He began his career issuing bonds/swaps for The World Bank and later managed The World Bank Pension Fund. Currently Arun is also an adjunct professor of finance at George Washington University. He received his PhD in Managerial Economics from the Sloan School of Management at MIT.

Here is a link to an article about Arun. https://www.wabash.edu/news/displaystor ... ws_ID=3210

I've seen a preliminary version of the slides Arun will be using for his presentation and it looks very interesting and well thought out.

Best,
Bob
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Miriam2

Re: DC Bogleheads meeting with pension expert Arun Muralidhar - Sunday, July 29

Post by Miriam2 »

Bobcat, what an incredible meeting you put together :happy
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Note the non-standard room (first floor) and start time (2:30).

Metro riders, don't take the Glenmont/Silver Spring branch of the Red Line; it is closed from Takoma to Rhode Island Avenue.
Wiki David Grabiner
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 pm Bobcat, what an incredible meeting you put together :happy
Would you like to move to DC?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:05 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 pm Bobcat, what an incredible meeting you put together :happy
Would you like to move to DC?
Victoria
Yes 8-)
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Great job, Bob!!

We'll be there for sure.

Ed
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Rager1 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 pm Great job, Bob!!

We'll be there for sure.
Ed
I didn't do much. I simply asked Arun and he was more than happy to talk about this project. Perhaps my avatar being a picture of Franco Modigliani swayed him. :)

On a more serious note - For a presentation at the library we need to supply the VGA adapter. Arun says he has one, but if someone else has one please bring it, sometimes these connections can be a little funky.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Yesterday on DC Bogleheads a member asked for directions to the library. Here goes -

Our next meeting will be this coming Sunday, July 29, 2:30-4:30, in the first floor auditorium of the Arlington Central Library in Ballston, at 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building. Usually there are more open parking spaces in the garage than in the lot.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street.
grabiner wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:35 pm Note the non-standard room (first floor) and start time (2:30).

Metro riders, don't take the Glenmont/Silver Spring branch of the Red Line; it is closed from Takoma to Rhode Island Avenue.
BobK
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

bobcat2 wrote: Perhaps my avatar being a picture of Franco Modigliani swayed him. :)
You look just like Franco Modigliani, I was sure that was you, handsome and distinguished :D
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Some of us will be going out to dinner in the Ballston area after the presentation and Arun emailed that he will be happy to join us. All are welcome.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 2018 Retirement Research Consortium (RRC) Conference will be held this Thursday & Friday August 2-3, 2018, at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. The event is free of charge, but registration is required. Free box lunches that are reasonably tasty are provided each day.

I have posted more about this year's conference at the following thread here at Bogleheads.
Link to RRC thread. - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=255126

BobK
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

A couple of people at the meeting today asked how they can join the DC Bogleheads.
Click on the following link and you will go to the DC group page - titled - DC Area Vanguard Diehards
On that page click on the "Join Group" button.

Link - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/DCA ... ccounter=1

BobK
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

Post by Arl Lib Stk Tlks »

Hi everyone,

I was at the meeting at the Arlington County Central Library yesterday & I appreciated the session. I am hopeful of coming to more of them in the future.

Thanks for arranging it. I was glad to meet Bob Kirchner at the session.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

On the day of this meeting I was having a leisurely brunch with friends in North-Eastern France. If I were at home, I'd have to choose between the Bogleheads and an improv practice. The retirement life is tough: you are always choosing among multiple great options.

I am glad that the meeting went well and we have new Washington members. Hope to make it for the September meeting,

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Arl Lib Stk Tlks

Post by Arl Lib Stk Tlks »

If any boglehead lives near the Arlington Central Library on Quincy Street where the Muralidhar session was held, I would like to connect with them in some way. Perhaps that could be dome by means of this chat site?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Is there a meeting this Sunday?

Victoria
Topic Author
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting will be Sunday, September 16 from 3:00-5:00, in the second floor meeting room at the Arlington, VA Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, VA 22201. We have the room reserved until 5:30, so we can run over a little if need be. Note the projector in the room is not working therefore any presentation materials will need to be done by handout.

The library is between the Virginia Square and Ballston stations on the Metro Orange Line. From Virginia Square, walk four blocks west (left, away from Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn right on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. From Ballston, walk three blocks east (right, towards Washington) on Fairfax Drive, turn left on N. Quincy, and go one block to the library. The library is on the east side of N. Quincy Street. The second floor meeting room is on the south side of the library, just to the left of the glass enclosed quiet reading room. The library has a free parking lot for patrons behind the building and free parking in a garage below the building.

The meeting is open for general discussion. If you have a particular topic you would like to discuss you can post it here or bring it up at the meeting.

BobK