RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 12 Noon Sat Aug 25, 2018

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 12 Noon Sat Aug 25, 2018

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hello RTP Bogleheads®,

Meeting 30 of the Research Triangle Park Bogleheads® has been scheduled for 12 noon Saturday August 25, 2018 at Duke University's Social Sciences Building's Room 111. Our gracious host is Professor Ed Tower from the Economics Department. Here are Ed's logistical instructions:

You can park at the Duke Circle Parking Deck off Trent Drive. Just take exit 15A (Elba Street/Trent Drive) exit from the Durham freeway, Route 147. Then walk through the hospital to the Social Science building. The SS bldg. is next to the Allen Building and close to the Duke Chapel and across the Green from the Perkins library. Alternatively you could park at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens parking lot and walk through the gardens to the SS building. Or you could park at the Bryan center parking garage. We will be sure to have someone at the door of the SS building to let you in from 11:30 to 12:00 in the event the door is locked. I suspect the building will not be locked, and even if it is, there will be lots of folks who you can ask to let you in with their card.

I also observed a Duke University maps site at http://maps.duke.edu/map/?id=21. From there you can type "Social" into the search box near the upper-left, click the Search button, then click on the "Social Sciences Building" search result, then zoom in a little and pan to the right in the resulting Google map. That will give you a visual idea of where the Social Science building sits in relation to the other buildings on the campus.

Please let me know if you expect to join us so we can plan accordingly. Hope to see you there!

Just FYI, after most of the previous meetings I posted a short summary... in case these are of interest, please check towards the end of these topics:
Also FYI I set up a Master Thread for RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads Chapter forum topic that you may wish to subscribe to... I'll try to remember to post a reminder of future RTP Bogleheads meetings to that topic.

Finally for those local 'heads not already on the list, I set up a Yahoo "rtpbogleheads" email list for our local chapter. Please consider joining the list to help our chapter communications (see below for joining details). From the group's description:
Welcome to the yahoo group of the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina Area Bogleheads Chapter. The Bogleheads are an investing and personal finance interest group inspired by the example of Jack Bogle, the founder of the Vanguard mutual fund company.

This list is primarily to foster easy communications among our local chapter members, in particular regarding reminders and logistics on upcoming meetings which we hope to hold approximately quarterly. All are encouraged to continue use the national forum (bogleheads.org) for most postings.

Please stick to the spirit of the national chapter's forum policies and etiquette: basically, keep to investing topics and stay away from politics. Further details on posting etiquette can be found here: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405

Initially this list will be configured to allow through all member postings in an un-moderated fashion, though adjustments may be made later as deemed appropriate by the list manager.

If you're interested to know of other local Boglehead chapters, please see the Google Map maintained by Mel Lindauer at http://www.lostsprings.com/diehards/chapters/

Thank you!

Steve Thorpe
RTP Area Bogleheads Chapter Organizer
rtpbogleheads Yahoo Group Addresses are:

Code: Select all

Subscribe:          rtpbogleheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Post message:       rtpbogleheads@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:        rtpbogleheads-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner:         rtpbogleheads-owner@yahoogroups.com
Group home page:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rtpbogleheads
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about yahoo group logistics.

Best wishes.
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Re: RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 12 Noon Sat Aug 25, 2018

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi RTP Boglehead friends:

Just sending a reminder about Saturday's meeting. Hope to see you there!

Thanks.
Steve Thorpe
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi RTP Boglehead friends,

Around 13 or so gathered for today's local chapter meeting, hosted by Professor Ed Tower in Duke's Social Sciences building. As usual we had an enjoyable conversation covering many topics, e.g.:
  • The fascinating Portfolio Visualizer website
  • Simba's Backtesting spreadsheet
  • Slicing and Dicing vs. Total Market approach
  • Larry Swedroe's writings on GMO vs. DFA vs. Vanguard etc.
  • In general, none of us are fans of annuities, almost all of us are do-it-yourself investors, and at least a few of us somewhat overweight emerging markets within our international allocations.
  • Ed Tower's Moral Turpitude paper that concluded with mutual funds, you get twice what you don't pay for!
  • Remember asset class returns tend to move in cycles. Every asset class has its day in the sun so be patient and stick to your plan!
  • The SEC's proposed "Best Interest" rule.
  • Many people are not at all knowledgeable about financial and investing topics.
  • How to encourage friends and family to consider a Boglehead approach? A couple ideas included: 1) Calculate in $ terms how much their current all-in annual costs are (often times this number is MUCH larger than they realized) and 2) Give them a copy of an easy-to-digest book such as The Coffeehouse Investor
  • Paul Merriman's "Live It Up Without Outliving Your Money!"
  • Mr. Money Mustache
Thank you Ed for being such a gracious host, and thank you to everyone who attended. I enjoyed seeing you and look forward to next time!
Steve Thorpe
emandato

Post by emandato »

Hello RTP Group,

I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post this, however, my family and I are looking to relocate to the RTP area in the very near future and I was looking for some advice. First, I was curious when the next chapter meeting will be held and if it is possible for me to attend? Secondly, are there any specific networking groups that members here participate in? I am looking to expand my network to meet as many local people as possible. I apologize ahead of time, if this is the wrong place to post.

Warm Regards,
Erin
Topic Author
Steve Thorpe

Post by Steve Thorpe »

Hi Erin,

The next meeting hasn't been scheduled yet but of course you will be very welcome! Probably it will be in the November / December time frame is my guess. Easiest way to learn about it is to join the yahoo group so you would receive an email. It is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rtpbogleheads

Hope all goes well with your family's move to the area!

Best wishes.
Steve Thorpe