Any interest in a Shelby/Jefferson County AL chapter?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Housedoc

Any interest in a Shelby/Jefferson County AL chapter?

Post by Housedoc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:03 pm

No activity for "Central Alabama" chapter for years. I live in North Shelby County, 15 miles south of Birmingham, AL.
Any activities or meetings for this area currently?

Stinky

Re: Any interest in a Shelby/Jefferson County AL chapter?

Post by Stinky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 pm

I live in Vestavia Hills, AL. New to Bogleheads board. Wonder if there are other folks in the B'ham area?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Seems you and I are it..... Any chance you are the same fellow on HoneyBee Brinkers blog? Stinky is his name also. I guess I will just keep going to free dinners with advisors and just say no at the end. I try for 1 free meal a month. Buddy at gym and his wife join us.

Madmax

Post by Madmax » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:44 pm

I’m in Oneonta, but would be interested.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:34 am

Yes, I'm the same "Stinky" who posts on Honeybee Brinker's blog. I subscribed to the newsletter for a number of years, and Brinker's advice in 2000 and 2003 which I partially followed (got out in 2000, got back in in 2003) was good for me. But Honeybee's blog has opened my eyes to everything else, and I find more value in other sources like Bogleheads than paying for Brinker newsletter.

Three of us have posted here now on this thread. Maybe if we keep this conversation going we can get a few other folks from the Birmingham area to reveal themselves too.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:38 am

Dang if this is not a small world. Amazing.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:35 pm

If you get two more folks interested and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, we can get your Chapter up and running.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:35 pm
If you get two more folks interested and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, we can get your Chapter up and running.
Hopefully we can keep this thread going, and maybe two more Birmingham area folks will make themselves known.

I'll volunteer to be Coordinator, with my primary qualification being that I live about half-way between the two folks who have already identified themselves (North Shelby, Oneonta).

Birmingham Bogleheads - who are you??

marti038

Post by marti038 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:33 pm

I live in Vestavia and would be interested, but have to admit that I'm not sure what a local chapter does. Is it an in-person version of this board?

I'll add that one thing I really like about this board is anonymity. So, I guess my question is what is the value of a local chapter?

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 pm

I was hoping we could get 10-15 people interested in meeting for lunch every couple of months. Discuss financial as well as other topics.
I don't think a few fine folks would justify forming a chapter. We will see how many more jump on board in the next month or so...

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:58 am

Housedoc wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:35 pm
I was hoping we could get 10-15 people interested in meeting for lunch every couple of months. Discuss financial as well as other topics.
I don't think a few fine folks would justify forming a chapter. We will see how many more jump on board in the next month or so...
Even if we don't get to 10-15 people, I would enjoy having lunch every month or two with like-minded investors. Whether we have a "chapter" or not is secondary to me. If we could get a core group of 5 people or so, I think that would be great. It would be interesting to see how much we have in common.

Birmingham area folks, are there more of you out there in Bogleland?

juggafun

Post by juggafun » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:12 am

I'm another North Shelby boglehead, and I might be interested in a lunch meetup.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Stinky wrote:
Housedoc wrote: I was hoping we could get 10-15 people interested in meeting for lunch every couple of months. Discuss financial as well as other topics.
Even if we don't get to 10-15 people, I would enjoy having lunch every month or two with like-minded investors. Whether we have a "chapter" or not is secondary to me. If we could get a core group of 5 people or so, I think that would be great. It would be interesting to see how much we have in common.

Birmingham area folks, are there more of you out there in Bogleland?
Here are two recent threads about creating and maintaining local chapters that might be useful.

Local Chapters-What to Discuss/What's the Point?
Improving Local Boglehead Chapter Meetings

Here's a thread from several years ago with Bogleheads from the Huntsville, Alabama, area. Maybe they're still around, looking for fellow Bogleheads :happy it's not that far from Birmingham, is it? Our South Florida chapter has Bogleheads who drive down from Orlando (4 hours), up from Key Largo (1-2 hours) and over from Naples and Venice (2-3 hours). So far, no one has come over the pond from the east :mrgreen:

Huntsville, Al Bogleheads Local Chapter Established
marti038 wrote: . . . would be interested, but have to admit that I'm not sure what a local chapter does. Is it an in-person version of this board?
I'll add that one thing I really like about this board is anonymity. So, I guess my question is what is the value of a local chapter?
From what I've heard, most chapters and our South Florida Chapter all preserve anonymity. You can use your real name or your Boglehead name and communicate through PM or local chapter email - your preference. When we put our group photos on our local chapter thread, everyone knows ahead of time that if they don't want to be on the forum, don't get in the picture 8-)

blackfish

Post by blackfish » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Glad to see a few other Vestavia, AL denizens on here. Been browsing this site for a few months and just now joined the forum.

Chiadog2000

Post by Chiadog2000 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:17 pm

I’m in Homewood. I read posts here often, but don’t post much myself. I may be interested in a meet up. Keep me updated :)

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am

Looks we have a few more in the Birmingham area. Here are the folks who have posted on this thread (in reverse order of when you first posted):

Blackfish - Vestavia
Chiadog2000 - Homewood
Juggafun - north Shelby
Marti038 - Vestavia
Madmax - Oneonta
Stinky - Vestavia
Housedoc - north Shelby

It looks like we're centered in the Vestavia/Homewood area, with two in north Shelby and one in Oneonta. Are there more folks out there in the Birmingham area who would be interested in getting together?

Let me throw out an idea for a place for a first meeting, if enough folks are interested in doing that. We could go someplace public, like a Starbucks or a Panera. Or, maybe even better, the food court at Riverchase Galleria. As to the things that we might talk about, look at Miriam2's excellent post earlier in this thread.

Any thoughts? And any more folks out there?

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Meeting at Galleria food court sounds good. I am not a Starbucks fan. I know, I am the only person that feels this way! HA.
We have some vacations lined up so hopefully I will be around to attend. Maybe mid August after kids are back in school and shopping frenzy is over.

blackfish

Post by blackfish » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Galleria or the Panera in the Vestavia City Center would work for me.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Looks like there's enough interest to get a Local Chapter going. If we have a volunteer who agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, send me a message via PM and we'll make it official and get your group on the Local Chapters map so others can find and contact you.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi