Improving Local Boglehead Chapter Meetings

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
RetiredMarine

Improving Local Boglehead Chapter Meetings

Post by RetiredMarine » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to share a few thoughts regarding the subject as our meetings have shown some improvement in recent months.

Our Columbus, Ohio chapter was created last September (2017). We meet monthly (2d Sunday from 2-4pm) at a centrally located library meeting room. Our first meeting had 7 or 8 people (I forget exactly), and now the last couple of months we’ve had 19-20 people.

I attribute the growth to a decision in November to start using Meetup.com to further advertise the meetings. We wanted to get more younger folks at the meetings since they have the greatest potential to benefit over time. (Of course Meetup.com isn’t free, but I think the minimal cost has been worthwhile so far to attract/help more folks)

Our most recent meetings have had a good cross-section of people from the early 20s to the 80s and nearly everything in-between, so there’s a lot of experience as well as a lot of newbies.

The meetings have all basically been a Q&A style (after initial introductions) with folks taking turns asking questions/making comments and the rest of the group giving their thoughts – so it’s definitely been more educational than social (of course there’s a number of sidebars after the meetings).

We also just started using the meeting rooms TV monitor and a laptop to highlight/point out things on Bogleheads.org and other websites.

Hopefully this info. can help others improve their meetings as desired – and if you have additional suggestions for how to improve local chapter meetings, please share them. Thanks.

Mel Lindauer

Re: Improving Local Boglehead Chapter Meetings

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks for sharing this success story with everyone.

Perhaps this thread can serve as a place where other Local Chapter Coordinators and members can offer their ideas about what has and hasn't worked for them.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 pm

I've been going to local MN BH meetings for almost 10 years. When I first started we met in restaurants for lunch. There were no plenary sessions, just a few small group discussions. Attendance was in the 20's to the low 30's.

Attendance grew when we switched to library locations and started using a combination of presentation topics and small group discussions. 40's to low 50's was not uncommon. We outgrew a number of our spaces. We gather names and e-mail addresses of those interested in providing them.

We now have an extensive e-mail list and do announcements on the forum as well. We alternate between a few libraries that have large meetings spaces. Our announcements list agenda items and we provide a pdf of the agenda. We do follow ups to the meetings with copies of handouts and presentations when possible. Recent attendance has been 80+. We had over 90 in attendance at one meeting.

Our next meeting is April 28th in Edina, Minnesota.

If you check the Local Forums link you will see our latest "early" forum announcement. A more detailed announcement will be sent to those on our e-mail list. [I've not provided the link on purpose because I am trying to track the effectiveness of the forum posting for this meeting.]

We have tried to assess what specifically drives attendance. We do not have a definitive answer. We do know there is a strong preference for a mix of presentations and breakout groups and for library settings versus restaurant settings.

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Peter, Thanks for sharing the info., I appreciate it. Your group has certainly grown. Just a few questions. How often does this MN group meet? How would you characterize the age of those attending, and is the BH forum the only "advertising" you use - or do you employ other methods? Thanks.

Mark

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:07 pm

RetiredMarine wrote: Hopefully this info. can help others improve their meetings as desired – and if you have additional suggestions for how to improve local chapter meetings, please share them. Thanks.
RetiredMarine - sounds like you're on a roll :D

Here is the thread for the South Florida Bogleheads local chapter. It will give you an idea of how our chapter evolved and what we are doing now.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64383 - South Florida Local Chapter

It's hard to beat Peter Foley, jeff mc, Fallible and the Minnesota gang attendance of 80-90 :beer They have fabulous organization and have provided super presentations for many years - I mean take a look at their photo of a recent meeting!
jeff mc wrote: The MN BH group is indeed an awesome group. 90 folks there today (well, that includes the 8 year old… we should talk to that “youngest Boglehead” about compound interest!). Tom did a great job with the estate planning keynote. Thanks! The engagement of this group continues to amaze us. We have 322 folks on the email list, so that means 28% of us attended the meeting.

See attached pix of the meeting and the new MN BH solar system (or is it universe?)

Cheers!

Also, many chapters provide some food and drink, which is helpful for discussing finance :mrgreen: I don't mean a large buffet and alcohol, but some coffee and sodas and perhaps light finger-food helps people to socialize and feel comfortable. In some chapters, while not serving food and drink during the meeting, they go out to eat afterwards.

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm

RetiredMarine, congratulation for your efforts, this seems to pay off.

Our experience for Metro-Boston (with attendees from New England at large) is that we stabilized around 20 to 25 attendees. There is a core of 8 to 10 people who come most of the time. Maybe a dozen people who come every now and then. And then a lot of rotation for the newbies (which bugs me a bit, because we don't seem to retain most of them).

Then we have a 'super core' of 3 to 4 folks who regularly work on and deliver presentations. We alternate between a 2 hours meeting + social lunch and a 3 hours meeting, and meet quarterly at the same library (the only one in the area that works well for our needs). We usually have 2 'meaty' presentations per meeting, although sometimes we have series of very short presentations (e.g. present your AA; present a book you loved). Themes for presentations are driven by volunteer presenters and can range from investments to personal finance. We try to keep the presentations as interactive as possible (I plant a few questions from time to time!).

As the coordinator, I work hard on maintaining a large e-mail distribution list and communicating before and after the meeting. There is clearly a number of people who seem happy with receiving the presentation material without attending. We do tend to work pretty hard on making good slideware. I occasionally upload some of those to the Financial Literacy wiki page, feel free to reuse and/or customize.

I have been pondering if this presentation-heavy rhythm should be tuned. I am not too keen on open free-wheeling discussions, I don't find those terribly useful, but maybe this is just my OCD tendencies... We will try a panel format next time for half of the time, as an experiment.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 pm
I've been going to local MN BH meetings for almost 10 years. When I first started we met in restaurants for lunch. There were no plenary sessions, just a few small group discussions. Attendance was in the 20's to the low 30's.

Attendance grew when we switched to library locations and started using a combination of presentation topics and small group discussions. 40's to low 50's was not uncommon. We outgrew a number of our spaces. We gather names and e-mail addresses of those interested in providing them.

We now have an extensive e-mail list and do announcements on the forum as well. We alternate between a few libraries that have large meetings spaces. Our announcements list agenda items and we provide a pdf of the agenda. We do follow ups to the meetings with copies of handouts and presentations when possible. Recent attendance has been 80+. We had over 90 in attendance at one meeting.

Our next meeting is April 28th in Edina, Minnesota.

If you check the Local Forums link you will see our latest "early" forum announcement. A more detailed announcement will be sent to those on our e-mail list. [I've not provided the link on purpose because I am trying to track the effectiveness of the forum posting for this meeting.]

We have tried to assess what specifically drives attendance. We do not have a definitive answer. We do know there is a strong preference for a mix of presentations and breakout groups and for library settings versus restaurant settings.
This is a fabulous group. I've been going for the last year. Breakout sessions usually have various topics which interest people new to Boglehead philosophy, middle age, near retirement and retirement.

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Miriam2 and siamond, Thanks for the info. We've been growing some over the last few months and we're on the verge of outgrowing our current library meeting room, so am just thinking about the future. Thanks again.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Retiredmarine: Some answers to your questions.

The MN group has met quarterly for the last 6 to 8 years. Just this year the steering committee decided to go to 3 time per year. It is a lot of work to organize a meeting for this many people, and the size of the group has grown to a point that we have to offer more breakouts (small group sessions) to keep groups small enough to allow for discussion. We went on a recruiting effort last year to expand the steering committee and identify and recruit more individuals to cover breakout sessions. We did 4 breakouts for a number of years but now have expanded to at least 5 if not 6.

Retirees and those near retirement predominate, but there are at least 20 to 30 younger attendees at every meeting. There is a core group of regulars who make almost every meeting (20 or so) and we average about 8-10 first time attendees each meeting.

"Advertising" includes announcements on the forum, a e-mail list that gets a save the day type notice a couple weeks in advance and a reminder notice a couple days before the meeting. There are also two "splinter groups" that meet 4 to 5 times per year. One group meets in a West Minneapolis suburb and the other in an east St. Paul suburb. I've attended both splinter group meetings and the main meetings are mentioned at these meetings.

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Peter,
Thanks Peter for the responses, I appreciate it. It's certainly different dynamics/requirements once a group gets as large as yours.

Mel,
Thanks for the thought and I look forward to hearing more suggestions from other chapters about what's worked and what hasn't.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Holy smokes, I love that photo of the Greater Minnesota BH Group! Good Job Mister Peter and the rest of the gang including the 8yr old BH (watch out, he could be running Vanguard in a few years). Also, good job to Mister RM and the Greater Columbus OH BH Group. Good luck everyone, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

digarei

Post by digarei » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 pm

RetiredMarine wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:55 pm
Hello,

I just wanted to share a few thoughts regarding the subject as our meetings have shown some improvement in recent months.

Our Columbus, Ohio chapter was created last September (2017). We meet monthly (2d Sunday from 2-4pm) at a centrally located library meeting room. Our first meeting had 7 or 8 people (I forget exactly), and now the last couple of months we’ve had 19-20 people.

I attribute the growth to […]

Hopefully this info. can help others improve their meetings as desired – and if you have additional suggestions for how to improve local chapter meetings, please share them. Thanks.
Hi RetiredMarine,

Glad to hear of your recent success in getting a chapter started in Columbus!

And more kudos for sharing some of that secret sauce with the rest of us...

“digarei”
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

digarei

Post by digarei » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 pm

Thank you for this. What you’ve asserted from your involvement with MN BHs for the last 10 yrs corresponds with my much more abbreviated experience and observations.
siamond wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm
[…]
As the coordinator, I work hard on maintaining a large e-mail distribution list and communicating before and after the meeting. There is clearly a number of people who seem happy with receiving the presentation material without attending.
I share this sense of frustration but unfortunately can offer no insight into understanding why people would invest the time to join a discussion group but never attend. Maybe it’s partly to obtain free content in the form of presentation slides but if it’s of value then these people are cheating themselves from a fuller understanding of the material by being absent.

Nearly all of the original content that we send by e-mail emanates from meetings, which is distributed only to attendees and core members. Infrequent visitors and folks who never respond mostly get meeting invitations.

I think if some people already have or can extract the content without contributing anything, there’s no longer a need for the provider, hmmmm? :happy
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

siamond

Post by siamond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 pm

digarei wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 pm
siamond wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm
[…]
As the coordinator, I work hard on maintaining a large e-mail distribution list and communicating before and after the meeting. There is clearly a number of people who seem happy with receiving the presentation material without attending.
I share this sense of frustration but unfortunately can offer no insight into understanding why people would invest the time to join a discussion group but never attend. Maybe it’s partly to obtain free content in the form of presentation slides but if it’s of value then these people are cheating themselves from a fuller understanding of the material by being absent.

Nearly all of the original content that we send by e-mail emanates from meetings, which is distributed only to attendees and core members. Infrequent visitors and folks who never respond mostly get meeting invitations.

I think if some people already have or can extract the content without contributing anything, there’s no longer a need for the provider, hmmmm? :happy
Actually, I wasn't expressing frustration, this was just an observation. Personally, it doesn't bother me if people don't come every time or even don't come at all, and yet benefit from the presentations we assemble. After all, we're volunteering to try to educate as much as we can, so what's the harm in increasing exposure of our work? Overall, I'd rather be inclusive.

Where I am a little frustrated is that I sense that our approach might require some tuning to better fulfill the needs of would-be attendees. But then the target audience is so diverse that it is difficult to not lose some people on the side. Oh well, we do what we can, better not lose sleep over it...

digarei

Post by digarei » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:38 am
Thanks for sharing this success story with everyone.

Perhaps this thread can serve as a place where other Local Chapter Coordinators and members can offer their ideas about what has and hasn't worked for them.
Sounds good to me. This will be boring. Moreover, I don’t have a concise list of do’s and don’ts, and nothing that is as elegantly and simply phrased as the practical advice offered by Ed Rager. 1

What works? I’m not sure I know.

Most of the good people who attend our meetings appear to me to be at least as happy when they leave the building after a meeting as they were when they came in. Is this a good thing?

Does this mean that our group effort has been successful at the magic art of entertainment or have we satisfied for the majority the calling they feel to discuss investing topics and personal finance with other reasonably intelligent human beings?

Or is it a member’s responsibility alone to ensure that the reasons that motivated their initial involvement are accounted for periodically? DIY investors, many of them engineers and computer geeks or scientists of one kind or another tend toward self-sufficiency, so there’s that.

To make matters worse, some of the nicest people have shown up to these meeting. Which means, of course, you can’t really trust ‘em to tell you the truth.

I’m kidding... about most of them. :wink:

Our chapter has met for three years (since April 2015). We first met in restaurants, like the Minneapolis chapter, and in time also found the library a far more desirable venue for small group discussions.

We have a few core members who are willing to give presentations and do so on various topics. Last year, there were 6 “formal” presentations (w/slides) in addition to informal talks just a few minutes in length, topic introductions, video shorts and group discussions, the most time being devoted to the latter.

Somewhat less structured than we have been in the past in organizing content, we seem to have an endless reservoir of material to cover, and plenty of interest but little time available in two hours to do any subject justice. But we do a lot of scratching around on the surface and my impression is that that’s okay with folks. They get what they can during meetings, the rest from reading books or financial forums and blogs. Some listen to podcasts.

We typically (but not always) prepare an agenda in advance and have handouts related to the subject of discussion or presentation to pass out. This was the focus last year:

Presentation content - 2017
  • “Awaiting the Bear” (fear / loss aversion / cash hoarding);

"Bond basics and portfolio survival" [Series: Bond Mania!]

"Taxable or Tax-exempt? Calculating ‘Tax Equivalent Yield’" [Series: Bond Mania!]

"Calculate bond value when the interest rate changes" [Series: Bond Mania!]

“Passive Investing 101: An Introduction To Index Funds” [courtesy “siamond” / Metro Boston Bogleheads]

“Modern Portfolio Theory”

‘Estate Planning 201’ (a five-month series of short talks/discussions)

We often schedule short videos—2 to 10 minutes in length, played after introductions or to introduce a topic. As a group we may have seen every short video available with John Bogle as subject!

Rick Van Ness (FinancingLife.org) has two series on bonds that we watched in their entirety last summer in conjunction with several planned presentations on bonds / fixed income. His videos are brief (3 - 8 mins) and each ends with a quiz on the subject matter just presented. Rick asks the question and the screen shows two possible answers while a countdown clock ticks down 10 seconds at which time the answer is revealed. We had a lot more fun after I finally realized we weren’t beholden to that stupid clock! We would pause the video and then try to get a consensus within the group on the correct answer before continuing. It was wonderfully chaotic.

Sometimes it’s not the brilliance of the content but some overlooked or silly prompt that incites enjoyment and gets people engaged; this seemed to work for us.

Barry Ritholtz. Larry Swedroe. Christine Benz. I’m always looking to sample speeches for 2-5 minutes of good material and these are a few of my favorite gurus who can reliably produce articulate speech, usually have something to say, are philosophically aligned with Bogleheads and whose videos can be found on YouTube with a little effort.

I like the change in energy that often happens when a video is started. When no one says anything in the few seconds of quiet that precedes the video, it’s like hitting the reset button.

Not all of the videos are strictly educational. One recent video excerpt was strangely on topic (managing regret) and yet hilariously funny. It was a faux advertisement promoting an investment advisory firm which specialized in documenting the wealth and material gains that its clients could have achieved had they been better investors; the goal of which was to... humiliate them? Produced by Conan O’Brien. [ “Learn How Rich You Could Have Been ...” ] 2

We focus on one or sometimes two topics each meeting but discussions run the gamut.

Regular members / experienced investors invariably want more time for unguided discussion; newer investors, who may also be at an earlier stage in their career, want content. They’re in a hurry to learn, not socialize—or not only to socialize. It’s a dynamic that feels like it’s working at the moment.

In December, we tried something new for us: conducting a small group breakout —
but the topic was shared. We asked members to split up into smaller groups and
provided an assignment.

Each person worked with the others in their group for 30-40 minutes to create
content for a proposed booklet entitled, A (Smart) Practical Guide to Investing
The groups elected a discussion leader and a scribe/recorder. Near the
end of the meeting, each group’s spokesperson summarized the ideas and
content that had been developed within the group for everyone else in the room.

The content was good... but the buzz was even better. I think the people who
attended enjoyed working closely with a small number of people (5) and
having an opportunity to brainstorm about a subject they were comfortable with.
Or the experience may have just reminded them of the good time they had in college?

I hope we can find another opportunity to repeat this kind of activity but I doubt
we will be doing this very often. If attendance at meetings should expand to
where we can no longer do personal introductions, this format might be a good
alternative. But there’s a lot of overhead involved with small groups, and that
was evident when it was tried. Quite time-consuming for a fairly limited subject.

Chapter stats: Median/average age: about 50 yo; 1/3 retired, 2/3 employed.

Our chapter began small and has remained small (relative to population: ~2.5 mil CSA).
This, in spite of past efforts to retain members, some limited outreach, participation in
free on-line advertising (I have concluded that this isn’t a worthwhile endeavor), frequent
posting to the BHs forum and hosting regular monthly meetings since we started.

This Saturday will be our 36th meeting in as many months.

Attendance at meetings has increased over time but growth has been slow.
Attrition is an ongoing concern, as siamond alluded to in his post. Too many
come just once or twice... to a person, they say how much they enjoyed the
experience but I always wonder if we could be doing something different.
SABH Participate 426x375 Rfy670F

I heard of Meetup.com for the first time late last year. Several members in our
chapter suggested that we sign up to let more people know about us.

RetiredMarine, you mentioned that there is a cost to this service. If you’re willing
to share, I’ll pass it on to the folks at our next leadership meeting.

Perhaps a kindly benefactor will foot the bill?!

Thanks for reading.

Greg

------------------------------------------------------
NOTES

1 How to Set Up a Local Chapter
Deceptively simple advice on how to establish a local chapter of Bogleheads.
Source: Ed “Rager1” & Patti Rager

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... al_chapter
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16V3 ... obilebasic

2 Learn How Rich You Could Have Been With Hindsight Financial
Source: Conan O’ Brien - CONAN on TBS
February 7, 2018 YouTube video 2:06 m:s

YouTube: ‘Learn How Rich You Could Have Been With Hindsight Financial’

INFO

Sacramento Area Bogleheads
. .
Our next public meeting is on April 14, 2018

Meeting announcements are sent to active members,
posted to the BHs forum, and on Facebook.

The Sacramento Area Bogleheads master thread on the
Bogleheads.org investing forum serves as our launch page for
chapter related content, with links to FAQs , Meeting Notes ,
a Facebook page, an Event Calendar & quite a bit more.

Greg Dietrich - Chapter Coordinator
Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com
contact “digarei” via Private Message

SABH LtrHead 400 5wDxN1j
. .
Edit 4-14-2018. Corrected typo
. .
Last edited by digarei on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:47 am

Do you have a charter or terms of reference for your group? Do you have strategic objectives? Measures?

Have you considered a treasury to fund meetings and improve them? I was a member of an informal group which met monthly. The organizer did two things. First, we arranged venues which would provide free appetizers since we were having drinks on a typically slow night (Tues or Wed). Second, we would get local businesses or individuals to donate swag for a raffle. Raffle tickets were sold cheap and the money went in the kitty to further subsidise activities. The raffle was always timed 2/3 of the way through the event to keep people around.

siamond

Post by siamond » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:39 am

digarei wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 pm
Attendance at meetings has increased over time but growth has been slow.
Attrition is an ongoing concern, as siamond alluded to in his post. Too many come just once or twice... to a person, they say how much they enjoyed the experience but I always wonder if we could be doing something different.
Your passion is quite admirable. I think you're doing just fine!

RetiredMarine

Post by RetiredMarine » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Greg (digarei),

Thanks for all the details for your group. A lot of ideas to consider. We're still relatively new and haven't really experimented with other (non-Q&A) meeting formats yet, but it's worth thinking about. Meetup.com initially cost $29 for 6 months and the next 6 month renewal will be $89. Meetup has certainly brought in a lot of younger folks (mostly all under 30 - who can benefit the most over time) - but how long we'll use (pay for) them is TBD.

snack dog,

Thanks for the info. We don't have a charter or strategic objectives/measures (yet) - still a very informal group. I like the food idea.

digarei

Post by digarei » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:50 pm

RetiredMarine wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 pm
Greg (digarei),

Thanks for all the details for your group. A lot of ideas to consider. We're still relatively new and haven't really experimented with other (non-Q&A) meeting formats yet, but it's worth thinking about. Meetup.com initially cost $29 for 6 months and the next 6 month renewal will be $89. Meetup has certainly brought in a lot of younger folks (mostly all under 30 - who can benefit the most over time) - but how long we'll use (pay for) them is TBD.

snack dog,

Thanks for the info. We don't have a charter or strategic objectives/measures (yet) - still a very informal group. I like the food idea.
At $180 yr /$15 mth ongoing, I can see this has the potential to be a low cost publicity vehicle for Bogleheads chapters, especially for those that meet every month or more often. If funding is available and the service is effective in attracting people interested in personal finance/investing to attend BHs meetings, it may be a good fit. It certainly beats the price I was quoted last year to run a 3 line ad in a local paper for a few weeks.

Thank you for this information. I will pass it on.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Panel discussions make a good meeting.

Recently, The Finance Buff aka Harry Sit, a long-time Boglehead forum member who posts as tfb :happy and who is the author of the chapter on defined benefit pension plans in the "Bogleheads Guide to Retirement Planning," joined the panel discussion hosted by the South Bay Bogleheads in San Jose.

I saw a picture of the group at the panel discussion on the Finance Buff's blog and it was well attended. Also, the Finance Buff posted this article about the panel discussion on his website:
I participated in a panel discussion on Financial Independence Retire Early (FIRE) at a South Bay Bogleheads meeting on Monday evening. I met many local readers. Thank you for coming! Hope you like the group and we will meet again. I will post the gist of what I told the group next week . . . .
"Financially Comfortable and Pivot" - https://thefinancebuff.com/financially- ... pivot.html
The South Bay Bogleheads have an active chapter San Jose, CA Area Bogleheads Chapter and a website - http://southbaybogleheads.com