Woodlands TX Bogleheads Master Thread

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Stentem

Woodlands TX Bogleheads Master Thread

Post by Stentem »

First Meeting Info Below:
Woodlands Bogleheads Meeting
Saturday April 7, 2018
Time: 12 pm to 2 pm
Location: South Montgomery County Library (next to Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavilion) 2101 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77380.
Meeting Room: Small meeting room on 2nd floor
RSVP: woodlandstxbogleheads@gmail.com

Look forward to seeing all interested folks. Will be a first meeting designed to discuss future topics and share personal stories.
umk

Re: Woodlands TX Bogleheads Master Thread

Post by umk »

Happy to announce that first meeting of the chapter was held today. It was introductory meeting. About 10 persons attended. Thanks Scott for arranging this one. Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for first Saturday in June.
ef11

Post by ef11 »

Sounds like a good turnout for the first meeting! I live closer to downtown Houston but would have loved to attend if I saw this earlier than now and was in town this weekend. Hopefully I can make it work in June.
50% S&P 500 IDX ER .01% | 10% Ext Mkt ER .04% | 10% Small Cap Value ER .15% | 20% International TM ER .08% | 10% Vang Total Bond Market ER .03%
Topic Author
Stentem

Next Woodlands Meeting Saturday June 2, 2018

Post by Stentem »

As promised this follow up will attempt to generate an agenda for our next meeting. I think we had a really good start going around the room and sharing our experiences, philosophies, etc. I really enjoyed the active participation from the group and hope that will continue. We had 10 participants and are booking the larger room for the anticipated increase in attendance!

Saturday June 2, 2018
Location: South Montgomery County Library (next to Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavilion) 2101 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77380.
Meeting Room: Large meeting room on 1st floor
Please RSVP to woodlandstxbogleheads@gmail.com

As a reminder, we need to ensure going forward that all conversation revolves around the Boglehead principles of index/passive investing. Buying and selling individual stocks is a topic for an investment group and we need to keep that in mind during our discussions. That being said, below is the preliminary agenda based on the group feedback. I will also include some future meeting topics, or if time permits, we can start to discuss those as well:

Bucket Strategy-Jeff
Social Security-Joe
Asset Allocation (stocks vs. bonds/International vs. domestic/changing allocation over time?)-Volunteers?

I anticipate that this will take us to the 2 hour mark with general discussions around each topic. Below are some of the future topics. Also, those of you who weren't at the first meeting please feel free to add your topics to the list:

Long term care/elder care planning
Estate Planning-Trust or no trust?/Avoiding Probate
How to do Roth conversion ladders
Travel ideas
Health Insurance before Medicare/supplemental insurance after Medicare
Budgeting-how do you do a budget including ones that adult children would actually use? Is budgeting even worthwhile?
Student loans-paying off, etc.
Lifestyle Choices-
Avoiding "creep"
Intentional Spending
Mindfulness
Hobbies that don't empty your wallet
Preparing for sequence of return events-Is it still the 4% rule?
Credit Card Rewards-what are the ones you use to pay YOU back?
Topic Author
Stentem

Final Headcount for June 2nd Meeting

Post by Stentem »

Hi Everyone:

I need to get a final headcount for our meeting. Below is the info:

Saturday June 2, 2018
Please RSVP back to me via this thread or to: woodlandstxbogleheads@gmail.com.

Agenda (plus discussion)
1. Asset Allocation-Mark
2. Bucket strategy-Jeff
3. Social Security-Joe

Hope to see you all there!
Topic Author
Stentem

Next Bogleheads Meeting July/August

Post by Stentem »

Good Morning:

I want to thank everyone for their meeting participation Saturday with a special thank you to Mark, Jeff and Joe for their well researched and informative presentations. I will attempt to send them in this email provided the file sizes aren't too big. By the way, we had a total of 17 participants which was an increase from our first meeting!

Based on the feedback, I would like to suggest that we keep the same venue at the library with the option to meet afterwards to continue discussions at a restaurant/bar immediately following. This provides for a quiet room for our main meeting combined with a more informal setting with an opportunity to engage in one-on-one discussions. Base on the large meeting room availability these dates are open:
July 21, 28
August 4, 11, 25
Please send me your vote on the preferred date ASAP. Please also indicate "no preference". I will tabulate votes and lock in the date.

Now, onto topics. This is your chance to vote on the topics YOU would like covered. I want to make sure we have a robust meeting that is inclusive of all relevant topics, even if you feel that it's too basic for the group, etc. The goal of these meetings is to pool knowledge, learn from those with more experience, and to affirm we are all on the right track in meeting our financial targets. Please send me your TOP 2 meeting topics. I will compile and pick the most popular ones we can adequately cover in the next meeting and roll the others into future meetings. So far we have:

Keeping your financial information secure
Specific fund allocation- which ones from the major firms/what percentage?
Setting up different income streams
How do you buy individual bonds?
Budgeting: How, why, what works for you?
Savings rate: Is 15% enough? (Keli mentioned 30 to 50% in the meeting and judging from the reaction I think this may merit some further discussion)
How do you know when you can retire?
Also to get you thinking, here are some topics we identified in our first meeting:

How to do Roth IRA conversion ladders
Travel ideas-inexpensive vacations
Lifestyle Choices
Avoiding lifestyle "creep"
Intentional Spending
Mindfulness

Again, this is by no means a comprehensive list. Your participation and feedback will keep our meetings informative and pertinent, but I can't do it without your help. Please get back to me with the 2 requests above and I will confirm the dates and topics. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you at our next meeting.
Topic Author
Stentem

Next Meeting August 4th

Post by Stentem »

Our next meeting is as follows:

Saturday August 4, 2018
Please RSVP back to me

Hope ya'll are having a great and restful Sunday. Thank you all for your input for our next meeting on August 4th. Based on the feedback we will follow the agenda below:

*Knowing when you can retire
*Budgeting -how much am I spending and where?
*Savings-(Shari-savings rate to your time to retirement. Scott and Keli-How do I improve my savings rate with budgeting?)
*Asset Allocation-where is your money invested and what percent? We will show/discuss funds and percentages only, not dollar amounts.
*Account Security-how to protect your assets
*Setting up income streams (time permitting)

Shari will kick off the "Knowing When You Can Retire" with a 10/15 minute presentation. Keli and I will also present our budgeting/savings/asset allocation examples, and then we can open it up to everyone for discussion/presentations on their methodologies. I think this will be a fairly robust topic and will take up the majority of our meeting time.

Mark will then lead us in the Account Security discussion, which is a hot topic given all the recent security breaches we hear about in the news. Please be prepared to discuss any security measure you use and would be valuable to share with the group.

Finally, if we have time, we can discuss setting up income streams in a round-table format. If we run out of time, we will roll to the next meeting.

Looking forward to seeing everyone August 4th!
Topic Author
Stentem

Next Meeting September 15th

Post by Stentem »

Below is the info and agenda for our meeting. We will start with Mark's presentation on account security and then move to Manny's presentations on Roth Conversions and FIREcalc, time permitting. Please RSVP back to me for headcount. Should be an action packed meeting!

Saturday September 15, 2018
Please RSVP back to me
Topic Author
Stentem

Next Meeting October 27th

Post by Stentem »

We had a total of 22 participants for our last meeting and some outstanding discussions! Our next meeting is as follows:

Saturday October 27, 2018
Please RSVP back to me

Our topics for October meeting are:

Further discussion on Roth Conversions if there are any follow up questions
FIREcalc-Manny
Credit Card/Travel Hacks- Scott
Credit Freeze-Group
Any others? Let me know.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi,

Just joined BH. When is the next Woodlands meeting?

Thanks.
Topic Author
Stentem

Post by Stentem »

Hi Bogleheads:
Our next meeting has a change of venue and time. Below is the info:

2/9/19: Mitchell library, 8125 Ashlane Way, The Woodlands, TX 77382
Time: 1pm to 3 pm, large meeting room downstairs.

Mark B has graciously volunteered to lead a discussion on "Prioritizing Investments, The How and Why." We will then segue into a roundtable discussion on topics recently suggested by the group as well as past suggestions. Keli and I will lead one of the topics focused on rebalancing your portfolio. Below are other recently suggested topics as well as past suggestions:
Recent suggestions
Fidelity new zero cost funds - advantages/disadvantages vs Vanguard funds
Safe withdrawal rates
Sequence of return risk
Inheritance planning: Estates, Wills, POAs, etc.
Best source of basic financial planning & investment information (books, articles, websites).
Annuities for income stream. Good or bad idea?
What actual mechanisms do people use to ‘pay’ themselves in retirement from their various investments?
Investor behavior/Emotional vs. Rational- (may be part of income streams/prioritizing investments/rebalancing)
And here are the past suggestions. We can certainly go into a deeper dive on topics previously discussed:
How to do Roth conversion ladders
Travel ideas
Budgeting-how do you do a budget including ones that adult children would actually use? Is budgeting even worthwhile?
Lifestyle Choices-
Avoiding "creep"
Intentional Spending
Mindfulness
RetireEarlyRob

Post by RetireEarlyRob »

Is this group still active? I just recently moved back to the area and would be interested in attending any meet ups.
Topic Author
Stentem

Post by Stentem »

Hello All:
The Woodlands chapter is currently inactive. If someone wishes to revive it feel free. I am no longer in Texas. Thank you all for the great meetings and info.

Scott
young danny

Post by young danny »

All -

My wife and I just moved to The Woodlands (Creekside) 15 months ago. PM me for some contact details.

Matt
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I'm game if it should start back up.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

Hey all, I'm interested in getting Houston/Woodlands BHs together. I've PM'd a few of us that posted in '22 and '23 to both threads. If we can get together, maybe we could merge the chapters. I imagine there are other people in the greater Houston area (Katy, Missouri City) who would be interested, too. PM or quote-reply if you're interested!
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

The Houston chapter will be having a meeting after a hiatus, and any Woodlands members are welcome.

Saturday April 14, 2023
Time: 3 PM Central - 5 PM
Location: the Original Ragin Cajun, 4302 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77027
We currently expect 4-5 people. For those who have not RSVP'd in the GroupMe, please RSVP to Veiled via PM or quote-reply here.

We realize this is pretty far from the Woodlands. We actually polled a bunch of BHs all over the Houston area and we were going to meet in the Heights just outside of the loop, but the RSVPs were all from inside-the-loop BHs, so the location was changed to Montrose.

If you'd like to be involved in future meetings, know that they might be much, much closer to the Woodlands in future, especially if you're interested. We currently have a GroupMe to help us nail down locations and dates. Anyone interested in joining the GroupMe can PM me.