Woodlands TX Bogleheads Master Thread

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Stentem

Woodlands TX Bogleheads Master Thread

Post by Stentem » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 pm

First Meeting Info Below:
Woodlands Bogleheads Meeting
Saturday April 7, 2018
Time: 12 pm to 2 pm
Location: South Montgomery County Library (next to Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavilion) 2101 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77380.
Meeting Room: Small meeting room on 2nd floor
RSVP: woodlandstxbogleheads@gmail.com

Look forward to seeing all interested folks. Will be a first meeting designed to discuss future topics and share personal stories.

umk

Re: Woodlands TX Bogleheads Master Thread

Post by umk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Happy to announce that first meeting of the chapter was held today. It was introductory meeting. About 10 persons attended. Thanks Scott for arranging this one. Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for first Saturday in June.

ef11

Re: Woodlands TX Bogleheads Master Thread

Post by ef11 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Sounds like a good turnout for the first meeting! I live closer to downtown Houston but would have loved to attend if I saw this earlier than now and was in town this weekend. Hopefully I can make it work in June.
45% Vang S&P500 Fund ER .011% | 10% Vang Extended Market Fund ER .038% | 25% ACWI EX US IMI NL R ER .10% | 10% Vang Total Bond Market ER .027% | 10% Fidelity MSCI Real Estate ER 0.084%

Stentem

Next Woodlands Meeting Saturday June 2, 2018

Post by Stentem » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:20 pm

As promised this follow up will attempt to generate an agenda for our next meeting. I think we had a really good start going around the room and sharing our experiences, philosophies, etc. I really enjoyed the active participation from the group and hope that will continue. We had 10 participants and are booking the larger room for the anticipated increase in attendance!

Woodlands Bogleheads Meeting
Saturday June 2, 2018
Time: 12 pm to 2 pm
Location: South Montgomery County Library (next to Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavilion) 2101 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands, TX 77380.
Meeting Room: Large meeting room on 1st floor
Please RSVP to woodlandstxbogleheads@gmail.com

As a reminder, we need to ensure going forward that all conversation revolves around the Boglehead principles of index/passive investing. Buying and selling individual stocks is a topic for an investment group and we need to keep that in mind during our discussions. That being said, below is the preliminary agenda based on the group feedback. I will also include some future meeting topics, or if time permits, we can start to discuss those as well:

Bucket Strategy-Jeff
Social Security-Joe
Asset Allocation (stocks vs. bonds/International vs. domestic/changing allocation over time?)-Volunteers?

I anticipate that this will take us to the 2 hour mark with general discussions around each topic. Below are some of the future topics. Also, those of you who weren't at the first meeting please feel free to add your topics to the list:

Long term care/elder care planning
Estate Planning-Trust or no trust?/Avoiding Probate
How to do Roth conversion ladders
Travel ideas
Health Insurance before Medicare/supplemental insurance after Medicare
Budgeting-how do you do a budget including ones that adult children would actually use? Is budgeting even worthwhile?
Student loans-paying off, etc.
Lifestyle Choices-
Avoiding "creep"
Intentional Spending
Mindfulness
Hobbies that don't empty your wallet
Preparing for sequence of return events-Is it still the 4% rule?
Credit Card Rewards-what are the ones you use to pay YOU back?