Minnesota BH Seasonal Main Meeting 1-27-18

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Who: All Minnesota Bogleheads and guests. Meetings are free and open to the public and new members are always welcome.

Where: Southdale Library, Second-floor meeting room, 7001 York Ave. S, Edina, MN

When: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

AGENDA

9:30: Welcome & Introductions

9:45: Today’s Speaker: Craig Bishop, RBC Wealth Management

10:45: Thanks to Craig. Arrange chairs for breakout sessions

10:50: Breakout Sessions

11:30: Adjourn. Thanks for attending. Your help is appreciated returning tables, chairs, and equipment.

Today’s Topic: “2018 Outlook - Optimism, invested, but still vigilant.”

Presentation: Craig Bishop will present the investment stance of the RBC-Global Portfolio Advisory Committee (GPAC) covering their outlook for central bank policy/activity and interest rates. He will also present the current thoughts of the RBC-Fixed Income Strategies Group on the credit and municipal bond markets.  

Bio: Mr. Bishop has 37 years of professional experience in the financial services industry. His career includes experience in sales, both retail and institutional, trading, and marketing/portfolio analysis of all fixed income products. As lead strategist for RBC’s U.S. Fixed Income Strategies Group, he sets the Group’s views on rates and credit and represents these views as the U.S. Fixed Income spokesperson on the GPAC.

BREAKOUT SESSION TOPICS 10:50 -11:30

A. Understanding TIPS and I Bonds

B. Bonds: further understanding via Q&A

C. Bogleheads Basics: 10 simple investment principles

D. Municipal Bonds: basics, pros/cons, types, strategies

E. Bogleheads.Org: navigating the website.

F. Portfolio Review: bring 8 copies of yours to share, % only, not $; tickers & asset allocation if known

UPCOMING MEETINGS - for more information: mnbogleheads@gmail.com

BH Main Group: alternates between libraries. 9 a.m. - noon, Saturdays. TBD - FALL, WINTER, SPRING
BH East Group: meets 4x/yr, coffee shop-casual, no preset agendas. Still Phil – buckp@mac.com
BH West Group: Feb. 10, March 10, Eden Prairie Library, 10 - noon. Sandra - MNwestinvest@gmail.com
BH GenX/Millennial: meets periodically. No preset agenda. Currently on hiatus
MN Bogleheads Facebook: check it out for BH updates and local info.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Peter Foley

Re: Minnesota BH Seasonal Main Meeting 1-27-18

Post by Peter Foley » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:59 pm

While I don't know if this will be covered, I would sure like to know the advantage of buying individual TIPs rather than a TIPs fund. While I have read this on the forum in a couple of threads, it has made little sense to me.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 pm

For those interested - I had a chance to look at an outline of Mr. Bishop's presentation. He has some interesting data (and projections) of where the US economy is in terms of the business cycle and central bank policy. These are both important factors when considering how one might choose to allocate one's bond holdings.

a2z

Post by a2z » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Once again another terrific program by MN-BH. Will sure appreciate help understanding bonds in my portfolio.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am

Agree the agenda looks great, with many learning opportunities on a variety of important investing topics. :thumbsup
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Just an FYI. The library opens at 9:00 am. If you are so inclined we could always use a little help with set up around 9:10 or so.