Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Investing.Newbie

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Investing.Newbie »

Pigeye Brewster wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:40 am Paid off our mortgage about a week ago. :beer
Great job :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

TravelforFun wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 pm Hit $2-million mark last month and I'm not counting my paid-off home and cars. I just can't believe we're multi-millionaire even though we were dead broke in 1984.

TravelforFun
Congratulations.
student

Post by student »

Pigeye Brewster wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:40 am Paid off our mortgage about a week ago. :beer
Congratulations.
student

Post by student »

AngelFIRE wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:41 pm Registered to post milestone - we’ve just reached our milestone of $1.1M in our « stash »
I just turned 49, DH is 63. 6 years ago we discovered BH’s and it has changed our lives.
Thanks BH! :happy
Congratulations.
student

Post by student »

Agni wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am Dear Bogleheads,
DW and I crossed the 1M mark in our 401ks! Thanks to you all for the excellent advice and guidance. I'm sure we'll zig zag around that milestone a few times :) I'm averse to debt, so have been paying mortgage aggressively but without compromising 401k and backdoor Roth contributions (ever since I learned about them). Also, at this time I have 2x yearly expenses, mainly in iBonds. I have around 64k mortgage left on a 525K house. However, what this means is that other than the iBonds, and Roth (~70K) I don't have much (only 10K at this time) in my taxable. Would that worry you? I'm 45, DW 43, one child 10 yrs (90k in 529 separate and not counted with other assets).
I also have the ability to do mega backdoor Roth... but lack of taxable bothers me sometimes. Thoughts?
Congratulations.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Last week eliminated all individual securities except for my employer stock, which I intend to keep below 5% of portfolio. The transformation to passive total market investor focusing on tax concerns and asset allocation over stock-picking is a welcome one!
Andrew321

Post by Andrew321 »

IRA just passed 10k for the first time ever!
student

Post by student »

Andrew321 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm IRA just passed 10k for the first time ever!
Congratulations.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Andrew321 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm IRA just passed 10k for the first time ever!
Congratulations :)
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Andrew321

Post by Andrew321 »

Thank you both!
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Congrats!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Dan S

Post by Dan S »

Maxed out Roth IRA for the year!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Grats!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Dan S wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 pm Maxed out Roth IRA for the year!
That's wonderful :)
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bgatze

Post by bgatze »

Mine is simple but one each of you had to complete in the past!

I have just discovered the Bogleheads.org forum and have dove into the culture with both feet. Waiting on my transfer from Edward Jones to complete and starting my investing journey with a completely new outlook at my financial future.

The conversations I had with my wife after reading "Boglesheads Guide to Investing" followed by "Little Book of Common Sense Investing" followed by "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" has changed our strategy and outlook. I can't express my thanks for everyone on this forum and can't believe it took me to my early 30's to really get a handle on my future.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” | ― Margaret Mead
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bgatze wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:49 am Mine is simple but one each of you had to complete in the past!

I have just discovered the Bogleheads.org forum and have dove into the culture with both feet. Waiting on my transfer from Edward Jones to complete and starting my investing journey with a completely new outlook at my financial future.

The conversations I had with my wife after reading "Boglesheads Guide to Investing" followed by "Little Book of Common Sense Investing" followed by "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" has changed our strategy and outlook. I can't express my thanks for everyone on this forum and can't believe it took me to my early 30's to really get a handle on my future.
It's great that you will be escaping from Edward Jones. You made awesome choices for books to read. Congratulations :D .
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

DW and I started investing together shortly after we married in 2007. With a VG relationship in place, push to drive out debt and increase emergency funds, and a penchant for frugality, we have done well by our own standards since then. Another milestone this past year to celebrate.

By far the best milestone for our family has been my DW retiring in 2017 in her early 40s. This has been such a huge blessing to have her at home, serving in our church and community, entertaining, and just being there for me and our neighbors. So lucky to have her and thankful that we can live on my salary alone. This is largely possible due to application of learnings from the Boglehead Community and the book Millionaire Next Door. I hasten to add that my DW is a frugality champ.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

My wife and I just came back from our two week vacation in northern Europe, visited the Netherland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
There are 5 currencies involved. For the first time in my life, I never bothered to understand the exact exchange rates, just charge everything to my credit cards.
student

Post by student »

flyingaway wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 am My wife and I just came back from our two week vacation in northern Europe, visited the Netherland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
There are 5 currencies involved. For the first time in my life, I never bothered to understand the exact exchange rates, just charge everything to my credit cards.
As long as there is no foreign transaction fee, credit cards give you the best exchange rates. I guess the point of your post is that you don't worry about small stuffs such as exchange rates on a vacation. Congratulations on achieving this.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ChowYunPhat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 am DW and I started investing together shortly after we married in 2007. With a VG relationship in place, push to drive out debt and increase emergency funds, and a penchant for frugality, we have done well by our own standards since then. Another milestone this past year to celebrate.

By far the best milestone for our family has been my DW retiring in 2017 in her early 40s. This has been such a huge blessing to have her at home, serving in our church and community, entertaining, and just being there for me and our neighbors. So lucky to have her and thankful that we can live on my salary alone. This is largely possible due to application of learnings from the Boglehead Community and the book Millionaire Next Door. I hasten to add that my DW is a frugality champ.
What an awful time (2007) to start your investment career.

Congratulations :D :D on finding a way to live modestly on one salary and have your wife stay at home "serving in [your] church and community, entertaining, and just being there for [you] and [your] neighbors."
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

student wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:32 am
flyingaway wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 am My wife and I just came back from our two week vacation in northern Europe, visited the Netherland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
As long as there is no foreign transaction fee, credit cards give you the best exchange rates. I guess the point of your post is that you don't worry about small stuffs such as exchange rates on a vacation. Congratulations on achieving this.
Yes, exactly. We used to converting the local money back to the U.S. dollars to be sure how much we were paying. Not any more. That is a financial milestone for me.
mimn15

Post by mimn15 »

Cracked the $250K+ net worth and $100K+ in our retirement accounts recently. :sharebeer

"Munger has said that accumulating the first $100,000 from a standing start, with no seed money, is the most difficult part of building wealth. Making the first million was the next big hurdle. To do that a person must consistently underspend his income. Getting wealthy, he explains, is like rolling a snowball. It helps to start on top of a long hill—start early and try to roll that snowball for a very long time. It helps to live a long life."

Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger by Janet Lowe.
Courtesy (https://www.mymoneyblog.com/charlie-mun ... icult.html)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

mimn15 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm Cracked the $250K+ net worth and $100K+ in our retirement accounts recently. :sharebeer

"Munger has said that accumulating the first $100,000 from a standing start, with no seed money, is the most difficult part of building wealth. Making the first million was the next big hurdle. To do that a person must consistently underspend his income. Getting wealthy, he explains, is like rolling a snowball. It helps to start on top of a long hill—start early and try to roll that snowball for a very long time. It helps to live a long life."

Damn Right!: Behind the Scenes with Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger by Janet Lowe.

Grats!!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
student

Post by student »

mimn15 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm Cracked the $250K+ net worth and $100K+ in our retirement accounts recently. :sharebeer

Congratulations.
mimn15

Post by mimn15 »

Thank you :D
Mindhacker

Post by Mindhacker »

- lost 9 kilo's in the past 2 months by starting to go to gym, reduced alcohol and eating healthier;

- finished this week my financial investment strategy for the next 5 years with some help from Bogleheads members;

- cracked this year to have 150k in investments. Which from a guy from East Europe (Romania) that was, is and probably will be an employee is a serious achievement. Here the game is twice as hard.

- discovered this forum and while I still in vacation I am reading like 2 hours daily on what has been posted. Big thank you for sharing your experiences as these have been proven to be invaluable pieces of wisdom for me.

:beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Mindhacker wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 am - lost 9 kilo's in the past 2 months by starting to go to gym, reduced alcohol and eating healthier;

- finished this week my financial investment strategy for the next 5 years with some help from Bogleheads members;

- cracked this year to have 150k in investments. Which from a guy from East Europe (Romania) that was, is and probably will be an employee is a serious achievement. Here the game is twice as hard.

- discovered this forum and while I still in vacation I am reading like 2 hours daily on what has been posted. Big thank you for sharing your experiences as these have been proven to be invaluable pieces of wisdom for me.

:beer
Congratulations on all those achievements in both money a!nd health :D , keep it going.
masonstone

Reached 2 million milestone

Post by masonstone »

[Merged into the "Financial Milestones" topic. -- mod oldcomputerguy]

Just wanted to share with fellow bogleheads a new milestone. 2MM :)

PS: I don't include personal residence in this number.
stonerolled

Re: Reached 2 million milestone

Post by stonerolled »

masonstone wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm [Merged into the "Financial Milestones" topic. -- mod oldcomputerguy]

Congratulations. Hope to get there but I am going to not save as aggressively from now on. I also have a pension with health that pays expenses.
What bugs me is one day mine has 2 commas and the next one comma. Today its back to two commas. There literally is no one appropriate to discuss it with since probably no good could come from it. My account is half tax deferred but I celebrate anyway. Mine excludes house also so next milestone is 2 with house then without. At 56, I'm embarking on my first big discretionary expense, a $1750 a month getaway, 6 month lease test, will see if the world ends.
Regards.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

ChowYunPhat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 am DW and I started investing together shortly after we married in 2007. With a VG relationship in place, push to drive out debt and increase emergency funds, and a penchant for frugality, we have done well by our own standards since then. Another milestone this past year to celebrate.

That was one of the best times to start your investing - you started out high, fell low, onto higher highs. I'm sure you've done well!
I'm also a big believer of TMND - I like my beer "free and Budweiser" :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

masonstone wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm [Merged into the "Financial Milestones" topic. -- mod oldcomputerguy]

Congrats! :sharebeer
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

Congrats masonstone ! :sharebeer
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:16 pm That was one of the best times to start your investing - you started out high, fell low, onto higher highs. I'm sure you've done well!
I'm also a big believer of TMND - I like my beer "free and Budweiser" :)
Thanks Grt2bOutdoors. I would've started sooner but didn't have much in 1998 coming out of college and grad school a few years later. Until you read a book like the TMND, it can be difficult to visualize financial independence. That was a huge turning point for us.

I also would much prefer a Budweiser vs. a Bordeaux :sharebeer
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
student

Post by student »

Congratulations.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Just reached the 2MM milestone with a paid off house. Not bad for a woman who grew up with only one pair of shoes at a time. Put myself through college with the help of financial aid, grants, and scholarships. Lived beneath my means while still vacationing and enjoying life - scuba diving and other travel. Work is winding down with a lay-off likely next year when I'm 62. Last weekend my BF called me "wealthy". I think of myself as "comfortable". Thanks to the Bogleheads for helping me optimize and organize my financial life. Wish I'd found this community sooner!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

JediMisty wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 am Just reached the 2MM milestone with a paid off house. Not bad for a woman who grew up with only one pair of shoes at a time.
Congratulations! May your (future) retirement involve a great severance package (if it comes to that) and as many pairs of shoes as your heart desires.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

JediMisty wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 am Just reached the 2MM milestone with a paid off house. Not bad for a woman who grew up with only one pair of shoes at a time. Put myself through college with the help of financial aid, grants, and scholarships. Lived beneath my means while still vacationing and enjoying life - scuba diving and other travel. Work is winding down with a lay-off likely next year when I'm 62. Last weekend my BF called me "wealthy". I think of myself as "comfortable". Thanks to the Bogleheads for helping me optimize and organize my financial life. Wish I'd found this community sooner!
Congratulations :D , ,whether wealthy or comfortable
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

HomeStretch wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 am
JediMisty wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 am Just reached the 2MM milestone with a paid off house. Not bad for a woman who grew up with only one pair of shoes at a time.
Congratulations! May your (future) retirement involve a great severance package (if it comes to that) and as many pairs of shoes as your heart desires.
Lol. Many thanks! Like most, no one to share this milestone with but this forum!
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:24 pm
JediMisty wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 am Just reached the 2MM milestone with a paid off house. Not bad for a woman who grew up with only one pair of shoes at a time. Put myself through college with the help of financial aid, grants, and scholarships. Lived beneath my means while still vacationing and enjoying life - scuba diving and other travel. Work is winding down with a lay-off likely next year when I'm 62. Last weekend my BF called me "wealthy". I think of myself as "comfortable". Thanks to the Bogleheads for helping me optimize and organize my financial life. Wish I'd found this community sooner!
Congratulations :D , ,whether wealthy or comfortable
Many thanks! :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

Congratulations.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Congrats on your success and your future retirement. I too wish I found this community sooner. Like 20 years sooner :)
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

Congrats and enjoy the fruits of your hard work
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

With last month's automatic contributions, DW and I just reached 7 figures! It will only last until the next market dip but we will enjoy it for now. Thanks Bogleheads for all of your help and support over the past three years! What an amazing group of kind and helpful people!
packet

Post by packet »

fortfun wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:30 pm With last month's automatic contributions, DW and I just reached 7 figures! It will only last until the next market dip but we will enjoy it for now. Thanks Bogleheads for all of your help and support over the past three years! What an amazing group of kind and helpful people!
Weeee!
Congrats!

:beer Cheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

With last month's automatic contributions, DW and I just reached 7 figures! It will only last until the next market dip but we will enjoy it for now. Thanks Bogleheads for all of your help and support over the past three years! What an amazing group of kind and helpful people!
Congrats on your milestone accomplishment. Wishing you many more. :happy
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

After paying off our mortgage in July, we received a copy of the recorded release of mortgage yesterday. :beer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

fortfun wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:30 pm With last month's automatic contributions, DW and I just reached 7 figures! It will only last until the next market dip but we will enjoy it for now. Thanks Bogleheads for all of your help and support over the past three years! What an amazing group of kind and helpful people!
Congratulations :D .
packet

Post by packet »

Pigeye Brewster wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:54 am After paying off our mortgage in July, we received a copy of the recorded release of mortgage yesterday. :beer
Congrats and color me envious ... :)

:beer Cheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

Congratulations, mine hit this summer and then below then above again, great job. Now its back to the boring compound interest curve. I'm still not really sure what it means, there's a certain void behind many met goals, a nice problem to have to allow the Lord to fill with new ones.