Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Blythe

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Blythe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Congratulations to everyone on your 401k progress and 401k "comma" accomplishments. :moneybag Keep saving!

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:03 am

Great job everyone!

Just did our end of month balance sheet -- we hit $500k in liquid investments (including our checking accounts and EF). Actually, we hit it last month but never added the retirement and non-retirement numbers together.

The city just re-assessed our home value up another $90k. But there is no way that's true. We decided not to add that additional amount to our balance sheet.

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:02 am

TwstdSista wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:03 am
Great job everyone!

Just did our end of month balance sheet -- we hit $500k in liquid investments (including our checking accounts and EF). Actually, we hit it last month but never added the retirement and non-retirement numbers together.

The city just re-assessed our home value up another $90k. But there is no way that's true. We decided not to add that additional amount to our balance sheet.
wow I think in 30 years my parents house went up 90k LOL good old CT real estate... I hope this means my house was bought during a period of "lower valuations" and the slow death of the state ends soon

student

Post by student » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:14 am

Snowjob wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:02 am
TwstdSista wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:03 am
Great job everyone!

wow I think in 30 years my parents house went up 90k LOL good old CT real estate... I hope this means my house was bought during a period of "lower valuations" and the slow death of the state ends soon
My condo did not go up in value at all in over 15 years. At one point, it dropped over 50%.

kd2008

Post by kd2008 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:20 am

We crossed into the two-comma club for the first time with just our invested assets, not counting our home equity in two properties.

I feel nothing special, just a bit of relief that it happened eventually. We are at our baseline FI. Looking forward to our full FI.

JoeNJ28

Post by JoeNJ28 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am

Just passed 100k in investments at age 28, was a long road with serious financial roadblocks due to family issues that stopped any real savings from happening until around 24. While a lot of posting about 500k and 1 million I figured I would post my small accomplishment by comparison so all those lurkers out there like me who get sad seeing the large dollar amount milestones don’t get discouraged, you can do it just keep saving and stay the course.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:57 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am
Just passed 100k in investments at age 28, was a long road with serious financial roadblocks due to family issues that stopped any real savings from happening until around 24. While a lot of posting about 500k and 1 million I figured I would post my small accomplishment by comparison so all those lurkers out there like me who get sad seeing the large dollar amount milestones don’t get discouraged, you can do it just keep saving and stay the course.
Most on this forum wish they were in your shoes. Having time on your side is a valuable thing!!

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 am

still at 1 comma. and 1 period.

KEEP IT UP EVERYONE!

bligh

Post by bligh » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
I didn't keep exact records back then, but from memory I was about where you are at right now around the same age too. After that I went through a rough patch, paid for my post graduate degree and living expenses out of pocket.. and was quite close to a $0 net worth a couple of years later. :oops:

Hang in there, you're doing great. Set goals and work towards them.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 am

kd2008 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:20 am
We crossed into the two-comma club for the first time with just our invested assets, not counting our home equity in two properties.

I feel nothing special, just a bit of relief that it happened eventually. We are at our baseline FI. Looking forward to our full FI.
Congratulations joining the 2 comma club :) .

JoeNJ28 wrote:
Congratulations. :) :) That is not a "small accomplishment", that is a huge accomplishment at age 28.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:09 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
Congrats Joe ! this is no small accomplishment :sharebeer You are way ahead of others :moneybag

bo105954027

Post by bo105954027 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:43 am

JoeNJ28 wrote:
You did way better than me. I just passed 100k networth (savings + investment), but my age is 3 years elder than you. Considering myself being a new immigrate from a third world country and a low-income family, I did believe I'd accomplished something impressive. Don't compare with others. Stay the course, live below means, ignore noise, keep investment pace, and let's get prepared for celebrating next 100k milestones! :sharebeer
Time in market beats timing the market.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 am

I have a very small goal for next year. I wanna reach $25000 in savings by the end of the year 2019. I know it’s a small amount but I’m new to the country, self employed and live in LA where the cost of living is quite high. It will be small steps but I’m looking so much forward to see this number in my account. Btw I’m in my mid 30ies so I wish I would 10 younger with the knowledge I have now.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:39 am

"I wish I would 10 younger with the knowledge I have now."

Don't we all!!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

naclt

Post by naclt » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 pm

On Thanksgiving Eve, I finally saved enough to pay off my mortgage! It was an exhilarating moment and is the conclusion of a goal that I set for our family in the beginning.

This site has provided consistent motivation for me and I’m eternally greatful for all who post.

On to the next goal!

student

Post by student » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:50 pm

naclt wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 pm
On Thanksgiving Eve, I finally saved enough to pay off my mortgage! It was an exhilarating moment and is the conclusion of a goal that I set for our family in the beginning.

This site has provided consistent motivation for me and I’m eternally greatful for all who post.

On to the next goal!
Congratulations.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:07 am

Congratulations :D :D .

naclt wrote:

On to the next goal!
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:13 am

naclt wrote:

On to the next goal!
Grats on the great accomplishment. :sharebeer
Current portfolio: 54% ITOT, VTSAX / 46% VTIAX

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:26 pm

naclt wrote:

On to the next goal!
Congratulations! :sharebeer
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:46 pm

naclt wrote:

On to the next goal!
Congratulations! :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 pm

We maxed out our 401k(1) limit for the first time this last paycheck!

:beer
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:44 am

TheHouse7 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Great! Something I aim for next year!

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 am

TheHouse7 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Grats!! Keep at it.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 pm

I have just received my very first pension payment.

A few years ago, my former MegaEmployer closed down the local plant and relocated elsewhere. Long story short, I left the company and found employment with someone else.

Leaving my MegaEmployer at this time qualified me for early retirement (100% vested at 60 instead of 65). Today is the first day I can receive 100% of my pension. The payment showed up in my bank account today.

This is my safety net. If anything happens with my current employer, I won't have to worry about finding a job that pays the same salary. My current employer has no pension plan, just a 401(k).

Can I fully retire? No, as the pension does not cover the cost of medical insurance and I still have a mortgage balance. However... I'm about to tell my manager that I'll be cutting my hours down to 4 days a week.

I'll still need to work a certain number of hours per week to keep my benefits.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:35 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 pm

A few years ago, my former MegaEmployer closed down the local plant and relocated elsewhere. Long story short, I left the company and found employment with someone else.

Leaving my MegaEmployer at this time qualified me for early retirement (100% vested at 60 instead of 65). Today is the first day I can receive 100% of my pension. The payment showed up in my bank account today.

This is my safety net. If anything happens with my current employer, I won't have to worry about finding a job that pays the same salary. My current employer has no pension plan, just a 401(k).

Can I fully retire? No, as the pension does not cover the cost of medical insurance and I still have a mortgage balance. However... I'm about to tell my manager that I'll be cutting my hours down to 4 days a week.

Congratulations :) , it's nice to be able to cut back and relax a bit :D .

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:35 pm

LadyGeek wrote:

Congrats! :sharebeer Nice to have the option of your employer letting you voluntarily cut your own hours back to a lower amount of time worked, even if your pay is reduced with it. Most employers want you there longer, not shorter.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

student

Post by student » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:39 pm

LadyGeek wrote:

Congratulations.

sam5

Post by sam5 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:09 pm

:beer My Vanguard account is in Flagship territory for the first time ever. :beer

student

Post by student » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:28 pm

sam5 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:09 pm
:beer My Vanguard account is in Flagship territory for the first time ever. :beer
Congratulations.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 pm

sam5 wrote:
Congrats! :beer If it's in Flagship territory, be sure that Vanguard switches your account to Flagship status. I don't know if that's done automatically or you have to request it.
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:35 pm
Congrats! :sharebeer Nice to have the option of your employer letting you voluntarily cut your own hours back to a lower amount of time worked, even if your pay is reduced with it. Most employers want you there longer, not shorter.
Thanks to all. Without going into detail, several of my co-workers are already working less than full-time (but enough to maintain benefits). The corporate culture has changed this year and there were a few events that made me think twice on how loyal I should be to this employer (not).

My only decision is when to tell my manager.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 am

LadyGeek wrote:
This is my safety net. If anything happens with my current employer, I won't have to worry about finding a job that pays the same salary.
Congratulations! :beer
Bogleheads investment philosophy | Lifelong Portfolio: 25% each of (domestic / international) stocks / (nominal / inflation-indexed) bonds | VCN/VXC/VLB/ZRR

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 am

sam5 wrote:
Congratulations :D .

GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:56 am

I achieved a very minor milestone last night -- I created a spreadsheet and figured out my AA across 7 accounts including equity/bond and US/intl equities. Now that I know it, I can work toward adjustments and proper tax-efficient placement, which I plan to do after the new year. :sharebeer

raoul

Post by raoul » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:31 am

Our goal of 2.5 million was reached at the beginning of 2016. My wife has a great job and doesn't want to quit right now. Since Trump has been in office our nest egg has grown to approximately to 3.2 million...

ditto406

Post by ditto406 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 am

I am not in the same league as some of you, but I do have something to share. We have recently crossed 100K in assets, no home. Came to the US in March 2015 and found this site a few months later, which put us on the right track.Thank you so much everyone. :sharebeer

My SO and I had an simple meal at On The Border to celebrate this.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:47 am

ditto406 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 am
I am not in the same league as some of you, but I do have something to share. We have recently crossed 100K in assets, no home. Came to the US in March 2015 and found this site a few months later, which put us on the right track.Thank you so much everyone. :sharebeer

Congratulations on your accomplishments :D .

crossroad101

Post by crossroad101 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 am

Thanks to the advice and inputs from BH members funded VG 3 fund in taxable middle of this year (the blip).

Mostly still single stock and trying to wind down for home purchase. Was hoping to post 400k milestone, perhaps next year.

Completed grad school in 2011 and worth -20k or so to begin with.

LAFiddler

Post by LAFiddler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Wife and I passed 300k net worth a few months ago at age 31.

Started with nothing in 2009 and have saved diligently to get here!

I remember 10 years ago having had a goal to have 100k in retirement by age 30 (figured it would guarantee $1M at age 60), and I was thrilled that I ended up meeting it.

Next step is to get the balance of the retirement accounts up to 500k by 35. I think we'll start to throttle back a little at that point and start vacationing a bit more while we're young.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Made last car loan payment.

Between spouse and I, first time being car loan free since 2012 when we first bought our own cars. Hoping to pay cash for the next one now that we have 2 cars in good condition all paid off.

Now onto the student loans!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm

This isn't a competition, each member's situation is worthy on its own. Congrats to all!

(Two financial milestones (Crossroad101 has passed 350k) and a paid-off car loan.)
LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 pm
Done. I am now officially reducing my hours starting in January.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:19 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm
This isn't a competition, each member's situation is worthy on its own. Congrats to all!

(Two financial milestones (Crossroad101 has passed 350k) and a paid-off car loan.)
LadyGeek wrote:
Well that decision didn’t take too long! Happy for you.

Cheers

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:25 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Have a happy new year :D . Enjoy nthe extra free time.

jory1804

Post by jory1804 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:27 pm

My net worth recently crossed the 10M mark. Never thought I'd be saying that.

The day it happened, I treated myself to a new shower curtain. My current one had been getting cloudy, and it was time to replace.

Moneta

Post by Moneta » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Lots of financial milestones for me since I got a "new" job back in January, almost a year ago. That job included a hefty pay bump of about $23K. As a result:

1) I was able to get my retirement account totals to twice my age (in thousands) for the first time ever -- $86,000 (I'm 43)

2) If you add in my taxable brokerage fund, I crossed the $100,000 mark for the first time ever

3) I got a raise in the summer, putting my salary at six figures for the first time ever

4) I maxed out my Roth IRA for the first time ever

5) I am now saving almost as much in ONE MONTH as I was able to save in a YEAR at my last job.

Next up, I'm hoping to get to a point where I can max out my 403(b) plan as well as the Roth, finish paying off my student loan, and start saving for a family vacation to someplace fun and interesting. :happy

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Moneta wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:38 pm
Lots of financial milestones for me since I got a "new" job back in January, almost a year ago. That job included a hefty pay bump of about $23K. As a result:
Congratulations! Onward and upward!

Cheers

jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:46 pm

jory1804 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:27 pm
My net worth recently crossed the 10M mark. Never thought I'd be saying that.

The day it happened, I treated myself to a new shower curtain. My current one had been getting cloudy, and it was time to replace.
Congrats. And love the celebration.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:09 pm

ditto406 wrote:

Anyone who comes to this country as an immigrant is in the same league, a person’s financial net worth is not the true measure of their contributions in life. Congrats on your achievement. BTW, as Charlie Munger said and I agree, the first $100k is a real @$&)!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:23 pm

Lost $200,000 from my peak. My wife said that we have to work two more years.

tony_roach

Post by tony_roach » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:23 pm
Lost $200,000 from my peak. My wife said that we have to work two more years.
Not as drastic but in 2018 my investment milestones included: surpassing 650K, 700K, 750K (back down to 700K since the September highs).

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:16 pm

ditto406 wrote:

Congratulations!!!