Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
welderwannabe

Re: Two Comma Club

Post by welderwannabe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 am

randomizer wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm
So with the recent correction, did you join the club, leave it, and then join it again?
Yes! I waited to post until it held for a few days! :)
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

sschullo

Re: Two Comma Club

Post by sschullo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am

aristotelian wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 pm
randomizer wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm
So with the recent correction, did you join the club, leave it, and then join it again?
That was me. I was in the club for about 48 hours.
I was in the club first in November 1999 and lasted almost a year in the club until the tech bubble popped! I did not rejoin the club until about five years later. Diversify!
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

mickeyd

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by mickeyd » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:25 pm

My most recent application to the three-comma-club was rejected out of hand by those snooty Xastards at their HQ. Evidently early applications are not accepted. :annoyed
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:36 am

This was our first end-of-month with a simple three fund portfolio -- and it was the easiest ever! I updated our numbers and then started looking around, like I was missing something. Ha! Just missing all the other unnecessary funds! Hip hip hooray!

Oh, and taxes filed. Refund back in three business days. Smallest refund in at least 15 years -- I'm getting better at estimated taxes!

AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm

We hit $1M net worth (including home equity) in January, according to Quicken. And, we pushed our savings rate above 32%, which I think is more significant.

The wife was mostly unimpressed . . . probably because our future retirement dates are essentially fixed in the distant future, due to the age-requirements in the formula for our pensions.

We did not celebrate. (Actually, I kind of celebrated alone . . . by gawking at the figures in Quicken.)
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

limine

Post by limine » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:32 pm

We also entered the initial two-comma club (counting home equity) this week! Looking forward to getting there in liquid assets!

motorcyclesarecool

Financial Milestone Announcement: Six Figure TSP Club

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:14 am

This morning I logged into the TSP to see that my balance has crossed into six figure territory. DW had six figures in her IRAs some time ago, and I had a combined six figures between my IRAs and my TSP, but crossing six figures in my TSP while still in my thirties still feels like a big deal. I’d like to take a moment to thank the wiki contributors and everyone who has weighed in when I’ve had a question. This site has been invaluable.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

peterinjapan

A nice surprise

Post by peterinjapan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 am

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Had a nice surprise when I woke up this morning: a condo I sold closed escrow and now I have an account balance that starts with a '2' and contains two commas, for the first time ever.

[Distracting animated GIF removed. Here's the link: https://media.giphy.com/media/87SLBtmdpwxva/source.gif]

Thanks to everyone here for your calm, high quality advice over the months and years!

ivk5

Re: A nice surprise

Post by ivk5 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 am

Congrats!

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 am

I’m very happy for you. :happy Somehow your Wolf of Wallstreet toast doesn’t seem right though. Maybe a pic of a toasting, smiling Rockefeller? Or a tall ship sailing into port.

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am

Sweet! Reminds me of a recent (and comforting) thread, "the second million is easier."

"I know nothing."

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:39 pm

I merged peterinjapan's thread into here, which is a sticky in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum.

Congrats!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Simple Simon

Post by Simple Simon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm
Folks,

2017 will be the first year that my portfolio growth matched my gross income. All I need is 2 more years like this.

KlangFool
Getting a really badly-paid job will make this easier :wink:

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:18 pm

My 403(b) recently hit six-figures and I still have ~ 30-years until I need this money.

Here's to all of my co-workers who make fun of me because I keep a ziplock bag full of coins at work to buy coffee, snacks, etc. :D

Animated GIF: https://media.giphy.com/media/gTURHJs4e2Ies/giphy.gif

Thank you, Bogleheads!

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Simple Simon wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm
Folks,

2017 will be the first year that my portfolio growth matched my gross income. All I need is 2 more years like this.

KlangFool
Getting a really badly-paid job will make this easier :wink:
Simple Simon,

Not quite sure what do you mean by that?? Thanks to my saving rate and portfolio size, I never have to settle for a badly paid job. This applied even during recessions and economic crisis. This is one of the few luxuries of life for me.

KlangFool

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 pm

DW and I are both 33 and just crossed the $600k net worth mark, including home equity. We make between $150-200k combined. I think this is decent and we hope we can be on track to retire in 20-25 years.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:24 am

DW and I together (only thing that counts) crossed the 2-comma line in investments in October. Since then have probably bounced above and below a bit. Must I report every crossing? If I do, I do.....
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 am

AnimalCrackers wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm
We hit $1M net worth (including home equity) in January, according to Quicken. And, we pushed our savings rate above 32%, which I think is more significant.

The wife was mostly unimpressed . . . probably because our future retirement dates are essentially fixed in the distant future, due to the age-requirements in the formula for our pensions.

We did not celebrate. (Actually, I kind of celebrated alone . . . by gawking at the figures in Quicken.)
Well done ...

Dollarsign16

Post by Dollarsign16 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Hit $250K across my individual tax advantaged accounts for the first time on Friday (age 34). Breakdown is as follows:
403b $116,526.81
Rollover IRA $46,952.87
Roth IRA $86,925.45
Total = $250,405.13
DW has her own accounts and our total NW with home equity is north of $800K but kinda nice tracking my individual account (mini)milestones.
:sharebeer
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people they don’t like. –Will Rogers

chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm

According to my social security records (and 2018 paychecks) I just hit $3 million in career wages and self-employment earnings, dating back 28 years to when I was making $4.25/hr at age 15. Very interesting to see that progression, and compare it to current net worth/portfolio size.

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm

peterinjapan wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:45 am
. . . and now I have an account balance that starts with a '2' and contains two commas . . .
Awesome. Good job on this, good luck with your investments, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 pm
DW and I are both 33 and just crossed the $600k net worth mark, including home equity. We make between $150-200k combined. I think this is decent and we hope we can be on track to retire in 20-25 years.
Wow, you will be ready to retire in about 20 years, keep investing slowly and for the long run [and ignore all the noise]. Gracias por leer ~cfs~

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:24 am
. . . DW and I together (only thing that counts) crossed the 2-comma line in investments in October . . .
Congratulations, no, no need to report every crossing! Good luck with your investment, y gracias por leer ~cfs~

cfs

Post by cfs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 pm

ny_rn wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:18 pm
. . . My 403(b) recently hit six-figures and I still have ~ 30-years until I need this money . . . .
Wow, what a feeling! Oh, I like the animated gif. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:02 am

cfs wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 pm
ny_rn wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:18 pm
. . . My 403(b) recently hit six-figures and I still have ~ 30-years until I need this money . . . .
Wow, what a feeling! Oh, I like the animated gif. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
Thank you. I wish my current employer matched contributions.

Impromptu

2 Comma Club

Post by Impromptu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 am

[merged Impromptu's thread and reply into the Milestone thread - moderator prudent]

Hi,

As others have found, this is one of the few places one can announce entrance to the 2 Comma Club. We were $50 away at the height of the market in January, but then the markets went back down and it took 2 more paychecks to get there.

I finished residency in June 2013, so it took just under 5 years to get here. We paid $330,000 for student loans and interest for me and my wife. We bought a very low cost house in low cost of living area with a relatively high paying job. Wife is a stay at home mom. We love our city.

The original goal was to live here for 10 years, get to $3 Million, and possibly retire, or have the option to retire. But now we really want to move closer to family, as elderly family members' health isn't what it used to be and we want our children to know their grandparents. The new job will pay significantly less, but should also involve less stress. Housing will cost a bit more. The hospital privileging process was designed by Lucifer for only the worst sinners in hell, but was adopted by hospitals for unknown reasons. But not a single person has told me I would regret having more family time while I still can.

My goal of $3 Million by 10 years out might not happen as fast, but I think we are at a tipping point where things will start to accelerate faster than we anticipated, even if we begin to spend a bit more. And the time we can spend with my ill father will be worth its weight in gold.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

alfaspider

Re: 2 Comma Club

Post by alfaspider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:33 am

Congrats on the accomplishment!

One advantage of having saved like you did is it opens up possibilities like taking a lower paying job to be near family. People think of money as buying "stuff", but I think the most important thing it buys is freedom to do what you need or want to do.

rai

Post by rai » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Don’t want to say the exact dollars but we made more on investments last year than we made from our jobs.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Bogleheads,
It just occurred to me that I have a milestone! It’s about my income rather than my portfolio amount. Last year, 2017, for the first time in my 70 years, I reached an annual gross income level of $200,000+! Most people will never earn $200,000 per year, I never came close. And this income is NOT from working. I exceeded this milestone from the booming stock and bond market investments last year, and I kept my ER embarrassingly minuscule. Isn’t this how investments are supposed to work and to keep a keen eye on expenses?

My (30/70) BORING portfolio returned 9.0% in 2017. No surprise as it is an all Boglehead portfolio in which I only paid .07% in fees, a mere $1100.00. So as a result, my portfolio’s growth, teacher’s pension, Social Security, and a VA compensation benefit took me over $200,000. (BTW, I do NOT have a lucrative pension. It is only 49% of my teacher’s salary, my VA compensation is $408 per month, and my SS is only $418 per month because of the pension offset). ¾ of my income is from my portfolio growth last year! And I thank you smart Bogleheads for straightening out our portfolio of my late spouse and me 15 years ago.

Here is a problem that I knew and heard about but never experienced. I have never experienced a high income so likewise I never experienced high-income taxes either. Now that I am considered a high-income earner and as a 70-year-old starting my RMD this year, taxes may become an issue. I now know why you high earners talk so much about taxes! But the usual approach is to donate to worthy causes, invest in tax-efficient index funds, have a Roth IRA, don’t trade frequently, created a side business so I can itemize, invest in solar energy and purchase solar panels, two electric cars and use energy efficient tax breaks (I've done all of that).

I guess I am not too worried about income taxes as it is something I will learn about just as I learned about investing as a 55-year-old. I am always learning something new, so I will now learn about saving on my income taxes in my 70s. I am not a “late bloomer” for nothing!

Interestingly, I calculated that in the last 15 years, I had saved about $215,000 just in portfolio costs alone by being a DIYer (I calculated an annual hypothetical 1.35% ER and comparing it to what I actually paid in all those years! Yikes!). My savings alone paid for a new Tesla, new Nissan Leaf, solar panels and a kitchen remodel.

As Jack said over and over, costs matter, even if you don’t earn a high income. That competent and ethical fiduciary fee-only financial adviser can be costly, the 1.0% AUM is a killer when compounded over many years, IMHO. Use a financial adviser for a couple of years just to learn from them, and then become a DIYer.

Thank you again Bogleheads for helping me, and my late spouse turn our financial tech bubble crash disaster into a comfortable retirement (lost 70% of our portfolio and paid over 1.0% in costs at the time).

Now go save yourself some money, and you too can become a high earner IN RETIREMENT!

Steve
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

LukeHeinz57

Post by LukeHeinz57 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Just wanted to send you a personal note of congratulations on your milestone! Way to go on keeping your expenses so low! :D I hope to be in your position in the future earning six figures on my investments and reaping the rewards of good decision making from years past. :beer

As a side note, this is a nice change of pace milestone from the net worth ones.

Congrats,
Luke
"Contentment", the only thing you ever truly need more of!

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:16 pm

LukeHeinz57 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:05 pm
Just wanted to send you a personal note of congratulations on your milestone! Way to go on keeping your expenses so low! :D I hope to be in your position in the future earning six figures on my investments and reaping the rewards of good decision making from years past. :beer

As a side note, this is a nice change of pace milestone from the net worth ones.

Congrats,
Luke
Yeah, its encouraging for the majority of us who will probably never earn a $200,000 plus salary. Getting that first $10,000 when we were younger to $1 million saved later-on are both great milestones, but this is just as wonderful even if its just one year.
I can control expenses, allocate and diversify investments and stay the course no matter what, but nobody can control or predict stock and bond market returns!
Last edited by sschullo on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

peppers

Post by peppers » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Took some time off from work for an extended weekend.

Went to the local casino and hit a $54.00 jackpot playing a one cent slot machine. Got up and left. Yeah.....high roller baby.

Regarding the retirement portfolio.....let's not go there. :wink:
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:16 am

paid off car loan, last consumer debt

maxed out wife's 401k

nearly maxing out my 401k/457 combo ( of 18500 for the year combined, not 18500 each, that will be next year)

6 months EF

all done since Jan after getting more serious with our finances

at end of year plan is to max the HSA lump sum since I missed the auto enrollment period

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm

chicagoan23 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm
According to my social security records (and 2018 paychecks) I just hit $3 million in career wages and self-employment earnings, dating back 28 years to when I was making $4.25/hr at age 15. Very interesting to see that progression, and compare it to current net worth/portfolio size.
I wish I had kept track of all that. How does total earnings compare to your net worth?
Lincoln 3 EOW!

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:01 pm

sschullo wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:46 am

Interestingly, I calculated that in the last 15 years, I had saved about $215,000 just in portfolio costs alone by being a DIYer (I calculated an annual hypothetical 1.35% ER and comparing it to what I actually paid in all those years! Yikes!). My savings alone paid for a new Tesla, new Nissan Leaf, solar panels and a kitchen remodel.
Great post, and congratulations!
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

SGM

Post by SGM » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:58 pm

There were a few records of her class, however she did graduate as valedictorian. Her 25th reunion was the last one she went to as the retuning alumnae were told by the undergraduates to wear horse head costumes and sing the "Old Grey Mare Ain't What She Used to Be". This did not sit well with the alumna, so she never visited the school again. But she did often reminisce about her wonderful junior year in Paris in 1937. And as child who lost her father at an early age she greatly appreciated the opportunity that a full academic scholarship for a college education at a top notch college afforded her. This turned out to be a good financial decision for the college after all.

I had the pleasure of accompanying the executor who delivered a very large gift from the estate of the deceased alumnae to her alma mater 81 years after graduation. :D

chicagoan23

Post by chicagoan23 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:45 pm

sergeant wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm
chicagoan23 wrote:
I wish I had kept track of all that. How does total earnings compare to your net worth?
The earnings records should be available to anyone who paid Social Security / Medicare taxes or self employment taxes. It’s all on the Social Security website.

Net worth is about $1.8 million, investment portfolio about $1.5 million—half of total gross lifetime earnings.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 am

chicagoan23 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:45 pm
sergeant wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm
chicagoan23 wrote:
The earnings records should be available to anyone who paid Social Security / Medicare taxes or self employment taxes. It’s all on the Social Security website.

Net worth is about $1.8 million, investment portfolio about $1.5 million—half of total gross lifetime earnings.
Thanks for the reply. I was exempt from SS so can't access that information for myself.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Inactivity here. Anyone hitting two comma level, anyone paying off the mortgage, anyone, anyone . . . Gracias por leer / cfs

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Only multiple commas I have are in sentences...
Last edited by StevieG72 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 pm
cfs wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:11 pm
Inactivity here. Anyone hitting two comma level, anyone paying off the mortgage, anyone, anyone . . . Gracias por leer / cfs
Mehh, it’s crunchtime for procrastinators, tax deadline is looming.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 am

just paid off our last student loan.

leaving us with only our mortgage as far as debt goes.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 am

Just passed $1.5M yesterday. Maxing out 401K, Mega Back dooring Roth- saving 42% of gross and gliding to retirement in less than 3 years. WaHOO! Thanks BHs!

voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

Hi Bogle heads, Myself and the wife have also hit a big milestone as well my networth as it stands today is about 2,000,000. About a decade ago back in 2009 I had a networth about -450,000 :shock: . The majority of that about 487,000 for a practice note for a start up dental office and 475K home mortgage. Thru hardwork and paying off my practice note last year and investing from day one thru thick and thin it has paid off.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Perhaps we have wandered past a milestone, since we no longer seem to care about our asset level. Could be experience, familiarity, apathy, or dementia!! I don't know, and don't care. I suppose we think we have enough assets to live how we prefer to live, in our LCOL (low cost of living) area, after a dozen years of experience as retirees, since we have aged past being early retirees.

Our portfolio withdrawals (WDs) are not quite enough, my no-COLA pension is not quite enough, and SS and RMDs starting in a couple of years will be not quite enough, but any two of those three are more than enough income. Savers my age will remember the phrase "belt and suspenders" when commenting on redundancy. With a decade (or more) of portfolio WDs in bond funds, we expect our stock funds to recover from the next market crash before ever spending from them.

Congratulations to those who still do care about portfolio growth.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 am
just paid off our last student loan.

leaving us with only our mortgage as far as debt goes.
Grats!!!! :sharebeer
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:04 am

jehovasfitness wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:16 am
paid off car loan, last consumer debt

maxed out wife's 401k

nearly maxing out my 401k/457 combo ( of 18500 for the year combined, not 18500 each, that will be next year)

6 months EF

all done since Jan after getting more serious with our finances

at end of year plan is to max the HSA lump sum since I missed the auto enrollment period
Great job! Keep at it and stay consistent. :sharebeer
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:06 am

trueson1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 am
Just passed $1.5M yesterday. Maxing out 401K, Mega Back dooring Roth- saving 42% of gross and gliding to retirement in less than 3 years. WaHOO! Thanks BHs!
Nice!! Keep it going!

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 am

voodoo72 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am
Hi Bogle heads, Myself and the wife have also hit a big milestone as well my networth as it stands today is about 2,000,000. About a decade ago back in 2009 I had a networth about -450,000 :shock: . The majority of that about 487,000 for a practice note for a start up dental office and 475K home mortgage. Thru hardwork and paying off my practice note last year and investing from day one thru thick and thin it has paid off.
Wow!!!! Amazing. Going from negative to 2mill positive in a decade.. :sharebeer

Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:22 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 pm
Toons wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm
To quote Bob Brinker,
My spouse and I are in the ,
"Land Of Critical Mass",and have been so for quite a while.
Keeping debt to a bare minimum,investing frequently(reinvesting)got us there.
Count Our Blessings Every Day.
:happy
If you will. . . what is the "Land of Critical Mass"?
Never heard that before. . .

mahalo,
j :D
Here is a thread on "critical mass".

viewtopic.php?t=230693

Jim