Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
JediMisty

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by JediMisty »

Saw the notice for my direct deposit which confirms I maxed out my 401k for the second year running. This year that's 62k into our megacorp plan. Not bad on a gross salary just over twice that (and some rental income from housemates.). Once I have the end of the year dividends for all my taxable funds, hopefully I'l be able to add close to the 7k max in a Roth IRA. :sharebeer
LilyFleur

Making progress!

Post by LilyFleur »

[Merged into the ongoing discussion -- mod oldcomputerguy]

I'm fairly cautious about making changes. I study carefully, and the wise advice of Bogleheads has been key for me. Here's what I've done this month:
  • paid off my HELOC
  • paid off my car
  • paid off my divorce attorney
  • did a $100,000 Roth conversion (my first!)
  • bought VYM in a tax-deferred account (rather than in taxable) so the dividends won't drive up my taxes
  • figured out how to use my small self-employment income to pay for part of my health insurance premiums as an above-the-line expense which reduces my taxable income
I am single, and I did this all by myself (which I will admit is a bit scary) ... thanks for all who have supported me and advised me!

Next I will be sending off some big electronic transfers for taxes to the federal government and the great state of California :dollar :mrgreen:

Happy holidays to all!!!
Last edited by LilyFleur on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnirk

Re: Making progress!

Post by Gnirk »

:thumbsup
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Great job!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Wow,
You've been busy this month. Flexing all those financial muscles, putting things in order, makes you feel good I'd bet... Happy 2020.

Regarding the Roth conversion "did a $100,000 Roth conversion (my first!)", again, that's a big step. My first was for $2,000. Just to see what paperwork was generated and get a feel for the process. I've done several since.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

retired@50 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:34 pm Wow,
You've been busy this month. Flexing all those financial muscles, putting things in order, makes you feel good I'd bet... Happy 2020.

Regarding the Roth conversion "did a $100,000 Roth conversion (my first!)", again, that's a big step. My first was for $2,000. Just to see what paperwork was generated and get a feel for the process. I've done several since.

Regards,
Yes, I do feel good!
I came out of a decades-long marriage in which I was not allowed to even write a check or look at our accounts online.
Now, I informally mentor women (just one or two at a time) who are going through divorce, helping them understand the court system and the law, their financial picture, and helping them pick up the pieces after the divorce as well. One of my mentees cried when I said I did not charge for my services and that I just wanted to give back. More than one have said I am their guardian angel. That feels good, too.
Moneta

Post by Moneta »

Two milestones to report:

1) For the first time, the total amount in my own personal accounts (including retirement, brokerage, and other savings) is now over $150,000.

2) Also for the first time, our total household assets (including the value of the house) total over $1,000,000!

At 44, I feel like I'm pretty far behind. But I've really been focusing on retirement savings for the past 2 years. Last year I saved 27.6% of my gross! Trying really hard to plan for a 30% savings rate for 2020.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:34 pm Folks,

I just paid the last college tuition bill (Spring 2020) of my daughter (2nd and last child). There goes the last college tuition bill. The end is in sight!!

KlangFool
Congratulations :D .

I remember the feeling when the last of our four children were through college.

It felt like a huge pay raise.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:40 pm

I just paid the last college tuition bill (Spring 2020) of my daughter (2nd and last child). There goes the last college tuition bill. The end is in sight!!

KlangFool
Congratulations :D .

I remember the feeling when the last of our four children were through college.

It felt like a huge pay raise.
Thanks.

Klangfool
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

KlangFool
Congrats KlangFool!

I am 7 semesters of tuition/room-board behind you.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

bubbadog wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:50 pm

KlangFool
Congrats KlangFool!

I am 7 semesters of tuition/room-board behind you.
Thanks. Just remember, the bill will end someday.

KlangFool
limine

Post by limine »

My wife (33) and I (34) passed $1 million in liquid assets for the first time today! About $1.6 million net worth. Looking forward to the next one, and thanks for all the help!
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

This week my husband and I (ages 26 and 27) just hit 30k in our total retirement savings (401ks, taxable account and our Roth IRAs). We have now reached a net worth of 50k (not counting the value of our cars that were given as gifts, we don't own a home). The first week of January 2020 I plan to add 6k to my Roth IRA and then we'll spend the next several months saving up the contribution for my husband's Roth IRA.

I know this is small potatoes here in this circle but I am proud of what we have achieved! I think once we have reached 100k the compounding will really start to kick in. :moneybag
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
BrownEyedGirl_27

limine wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 am My wife (33) and I (34) passed $1 million in liquid assets for the first time today! About $1.6 million net worth. Looking forward to the next one, and thanks for all the help!
Congratulations! Is this all your investments plus regular savings put together? How does it feel? 8-)
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
awg90

Post by awg90 »

Just turned 29 yo and also hit 300K in 401k/IRA/taxable funds! Next milestone will be 500K. :sharebeer
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

A lot of milestones for us this year. Wife (37) and I (35) purchased our first house. Right before this purchase we crossed $1M net worth (still there technically if we include the house less mortgage).

Our retirement investments recently passed $750k.

None of this makes us feel any different than before and actually motivates us more to continue to save aggressively to allow us flexibility with our time as we raise our children.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:05 am This week my husband and I (ages 26 and 27) just hit 30k in our total retirement savings (401ks, taxable account and our Roth IRAs). We have now reached a net worth of 50k (not counting the value of our cars that were given as gifts, we don't own a home). The first week of January 2020 I plan to add 6k to my Roth IRA and then we'll spend the next several months saving up the contribution for my husband's Roth IRA.

I know this is small potatoes here in this circle but I am proud of what we have achieved! I think once we have reached 100k the compounding will really start to kick in. :moneybag
You are small potatoes age wise as well, so if your assets don't compare to some of the old fogies (including myself!) don't worry about it. You are doing great for your ages.

I'll be honest, its hard to pick a time when you really notice the compounding kicking in, at least for me. It always seems up and down if you watch it closely. It's when you don't watch as closely that it seems to grow. :)
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Moneta wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:36 pm Two milestones to report:

1) For the first time, the total amount in my own personal accounts (including retirement, brokerage, and other savings) is now over $150,000.

2) Also for the first time, our total household assets (including the value of the house) total over $1,000,000!

At 44, I feel like I'm pretty far behind. But I've really been focusing on retirement savings for the past 2 years. Last year I saved 27.6% of my gross! Trying really hard to plan for a 30% savings rate for 2020.
So it sounds like you are house rich and cash poor. As they say, there are many roads to Dublin. The time may come when you can unlock some of that house money for retirement. And it sounds like you are correcting the cash part anyway. Congrats.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

We joined the two comma club for net worth this past month, and our liquid/invested assets are now north of 900k (ages 41 & 36)

I'm waiting for the floor to drop ...

Thanks to the forum. It would have taken many more years to get here without the sage advice thrown around for free here.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Sorry I messed up the formatting on my reply, still new here!
Last edited by BrownEyedGirl_27 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrownEyedGirl_27

goblue100 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:38 am
BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:05 am This week my husband and I (ages 26 and 27) just hit 30k in our total retirement savings (401ks, taxable account and our Roth IRAs). We have now reached a net worth of 50k (not counting the value of our cars that were given as gifts, we don't own a home). The first week of January 2020 I plan to add 6k to my Roth IRA and then we'll spend the next several months saving up the contribution for my husband's Roth IRA.

You are small potatoes age wise as well, so if your assets don't compare to some of the old fogies (including myself!) don't worry about it. You are doing great for your ages.

I'll be honest, its hard to pick a time when you really notice the compounding kicking in, at least for me. It always seems up and down if you watch it closely. It's when you don't watch as closely that it seems to grow. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! My Dad says I should “set it and forget it”, he’s been doing that for decades and it’s worked for him. I noticed over the last year how much VTSMX was going down in our portfolio and decided to just try and ignore it. Came back a few months later and felt better haha. Haven’t had to stomach a major stock market downturn yet. I do like to track how much we are putting into our employer plans monthly and seeing the progress there. It is good motivation to stay the course and see how quickly I can save up while still young and healthy. Joined Bogleheads a few days ago and I’m loving the advice and community here. How long have you been a Boglehead, and were you taught to save at an early age from your parent(s)?
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

grog wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:57 am My IXUS (total international) position that I've had for two years is finally in the green (or was at least it was for a couple of minutes). I think this calls for champagne. Ha.

My overall cost basis is 61.54 (originally bought at 65 plus some cheaper shares latter) and it looks like it peaked this morning at 61.59. I logged in at just the right time to see in the positive.
If this was in taxable then I suggest you research tax-loss harvesting. Congrats on not selling low (without buying a similar but not identical asset) though!
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Congrats are in order. Small potatoes grow into bigger potatoes if you leave them in the ground. Plus you two are very young with many many many years of contributions ahead of you. For us, compounding started to significantly make a difference after about 8 years of saving. The way I calculate it, if returns are 5% a year on average, it will take about 8-9 years for returns to be about half of your contributions. It will be like an extra person contributing $6k to the Roth accounts. By year 14-15 it will be another $6k per year. By year 15, growth will be more than contributions. That is if returns are 5% a year consistently. The future and how it will actually play out is unknown.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
GetMeToRetirement

Post by GetMeToRetirement »

GetMeToRetirement wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:38 pm New to the forum and really enjoying it so far! Our family (35/34/3/0) just hit over $1M in assets last month! We hope to improve that to $1M in net worth after a few more years of paying down the mortgage (depending on market performance of course - largely the 401k).
Checking in about two years later (now 37/36/5/2): We ended our PMI payments last month, and our net worth* -- at least momentarily -- has hit $1M!

*Calculation includes a reasonable estimate of our home's FMV*

Next up: Reaching $1M net worth *without* including the FMV of our home.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:29 am
Thanks for the encouragement! My Dad says I should “set it and forget it”, he’s been doing that for decades and it’s worked for him. I noticed over the last year how much VTSMX was going down in our portfolio and decided to just try and ignore it. Came back a few months later and felt better haha. Haven’t had to stomach a major stock market downturn yet. I do like to track how much we are putting into our employer plans monthly and seeing the progress there. It is good motivation to stay the course and see how quickly I can save up while still young and healthy. Joined Bogleheads a few days ago and I’m loving the advice and community here. How long have you been a Boglehead, and were you taught to save at an early age from your parent(s)?
According to my join date, I've been a Boglehead since 2013. However, I've invested in the boglehead style since at least the mid 1990s. In those days it was no load mutual funds with expense ratios of around 1%, which where a big improvement over the loaded funds of the previous generation.

My parents were children of the depression, and my Mom was a borderline hoarder as a result. With 6 kids and a factory workers income, they weren't saving too much. They were of the era where all good jobs had a pension, so my Dad had a pension and SS for a retirement plan. Unfortunately he died young and didn't have much of chance to enjoy either. They did instill a saving habit though, I remember getting my passbook at Old Kent Bank in Grand Rapids Michigan when I was quite young. Some of my birthday money would end up in that account, which paid the government mandated(I believe) interest rate of 5 1/4%. Would I could get that now!

I did start investing early. My first real good job changed from a pension setup to a 401k setup in 1984. Unfortunately I only put the minimum to get the maximum match (6 to get 3). Which seemed like way too much for money I was never going to live long enough to spend! (Oh, the ignorance of youth). Fortunately the company did educate us to invest in stocks so I've always had a pretty good asset allocation. I see how much things changed for me, makes me wonder how things will change for my daughter and for you guys. My daughter is about the same age as you.
limine

Post by limine »

BrownEyedGirl_27 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:08 am
limine wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 am My wife (33) and I (34) passed $1 million in liquid assets for the first time today! About $1.6 million net worth. Looking forward to the next one, and thanks for all the help!
Congratulations! Is this all your investments plus regular savings put together? How does it feel? 8-)
Thanks! The total includes both investments and cash.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Just crossed the $2,000,000 mark in networth today.

Includes residence and bank accounts + investments.

It also occurs to me, as I'm eating a can of $0.80 Chilli for lunch, that I could've splurged and gone out for lunch today. :mrgreen:
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Congratulations to all recent posters. Glad to hear the market rise has helped so many reach their milestones.
Topic Author
VAslim16

Re: Milestone #2 250K

Post by VAslim16 »

RobLyons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:14 am
VAslim16 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:42 am Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post because I hit a mini milestone today. Checked my Vanguard account and my stock holdings were just over 100K. I know this is small for most people on here, but considering I started investing in March 2013 and don't make a huge salary (I'm a teacher) it's something I'm happy about. I will keep my overall portfolio at about 70/30 stock to bond and keep using VTI/VXUS at a 50/50 ratio. Really appreciate all your guys' help on here and hope the next milestone, 200K for the whole portfolio, occurs by summer 2K18.

Thanks again guys. Now I probably jinxed things and will be back under 100K in a few hours when the market opens.

Congrats! And since you posted this a couple years back, here's to hoping you hit $200k already!

I'm in a similar boat as you financially, but I'm motivated to improve our future financial picture just as you are. Blue collar family of 4 with 1 main income. But we do not have high stress and spend quality time with the kids, no day care, which has paid dividends. :sharebeer

Closing in on $100k (403b + Roths) and first year we will max his / her Roth IRAs ! Also have a good pension.
Thanks Rob and keep it up. That pension is KEY! I wish I had one. Yeah I have hit 200K and am around 260 now. Hoping I can get to 300 soon. Feeling like stocks are about to take a dip though so we will see.
A440

Post by A440 »

Thanks to the power of compounding and an early start, one of our children's 529 plan has earned more than we have contributed. As a bonus, we reached our goal 2 years before college payments start, so we were able to stop contributing...just in time to pay for the auto insurance for a teenager :o
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

I started investing at 31. My wife never invested because she was in a low paying job. I am currently 55 and my wife is 59. My IRA is currently at $867K and my house is fully paid for. I also have 30K in my 401K. My goal was always $1 million and from where I stand I'm pretty close. Congratulations to everyone on their Milestones

P.S. The most I ever made a year was $79K
Topic Author
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

Well done JCB. Impressive accomplishment. Proud of you for being disciplined for that time. Enjoy it.
Stef

Post by Stef »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:12 am I started investing at 31. My wife never invested because she was in a low paying job. I am currently 55 and my wife is 59. My IRA is currently at $867K and my house is fully paid for. I also have 30K in my 401K. My goal was always $1 million and from where I stand I'm pretty close. Congratulations to everyone on their Milestones

Might I ask what your savings rate was in those 2 decades?
beyou

Post by beyou »

Just got the good news that S2 (of 2) graduated early (saving me a semester of college tuition). S1 spent more than expected so it was a wash but it’s over ! Tuition is done.

I am not really sure when to say one reached FI, but this sure seems like a major step having savings after this milestone, and family debt free too (parents and kids).
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Stef wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:32 am
BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:12 am I started investing at 31. My wife never invested because she was in a low paying job. I am currently 55 and my wife is 59. My IRA is currently at $867K and my house is fully paid for. I also have 30K in my 401K. My goal was always $1 million and from where I stand I'm pretty close. Congratulations to everyone on their Milestones

Might I ask what your savings rate was in those 2 decades?
Sure. I can't remember in the beginning, but once I got serious I maxed it out but there were several times I stopped completely to pay off credit debt and when I started to pay extra toward my mortgage I dropped it down and again might have stopped for a year or tw.

But again, there were many years I maxed it out and my firm always put 5% of my salary on top of that.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

beyou wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:54 am Just got the good news that S2 (of 2) graduated early (saving me a semester of college tuition). S1 spent more than expected so it was a wash but it’s over ! Tuition is done.

I am not really sure when to say one reached FI, but this sure seems like a major step having savings after this milestone, and family debt free too (parents and kids).
Congratulations!! One of my proudest moments was when I was able to have my daughter graduate from college without student loan debt. Great feeling!!
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

VAslim16 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 am Well done JCB. Impressive accomplishment. Proud of you for being disciplined for that time. Enjoy it.
Thanks!
hexagon

Post by hexagon »

Just checked our accounts and saw that we passed $sqrt(2) million today with a balance of $1.415 million in retirement funds. I expect our balance will oscillate around that mark for some time. A few years ago this would have been our `number'. However, some extra, likely long-term, responsibilities have come our way and I hope to hit our next milestone of $e million by the time I call it quits, although we could certainly make do with significantly less.

For context, DW is retired (age 60) while retirement for me (age 61) is likely 8-10 years away (as long as work stays interesting).
nolimits

Post by nolimits »

Finally out of the red this year. (Was -$360k few years ago). This thread is very motivational. Thank you all for posting.
liz24

Post by liz24 »

2nd year of maxing out my Roth 457 in addition to my Roth IRA (totaling $164,000 in Roth space, age 33, government worker expecting pension)

Also, just figured out that my portfolio this year provided me with $1,000/month (roughly $12,000 this year) in distributions :) Super excited about that. A lot of this is in tax-sheltered Roth space :)
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

My wife and I paid off our house as our Christmas present to each other. Final payment made in December. We paid down the last $50,000 very aggressively in order to be debt free prior to my retirement in 2021.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

goblue100 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 am My wife and I paid off our house as our Christmas present to each other. Final payment made in December. We paid down the last $50,000 very aggressively in order to be debt free prior to my retirement in 2021.
Excellent! What are your plans for that cash flow now?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

livesoft wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:05 am
goblue100 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 am My wife and I paid off our house as our Christmas present to each other. Final payment made in December. We paid down the last $50,000 very aggressively in order to be debt free prior to my retirement in 2021.
Excellent! What are your plans for that cash flow now?
That is a good question. Some will go into my taxable investment account, and some will be used to fund my retirement adventures. I have a dream of doing the "Great Loop" boat trip. Since I don't have the boat yet, I'll need some money to purchase it.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

Reached 600k NW as of the markets close on Thursday.

Thanks to the bull market, the time to reach 600k from 500k was ~280 days, which is the fastest 100k yet! :sharebeer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
piper

Post by piper »

deleted
Last edited by piper on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MostWonderfulTime

Post by MostWonderfulTime »

Congratulation to the goblue100 family! You've inspired me to share our milestone. Yesterday, my husband and I also paid off our mortgage by walking into a local branch of Chase and writing a final payoff check using a large portion of our year-end bonuses. 30 years ago, we were engaged and shopping for our first house. In our case, paying off the mortgage was a celebration of our up-coming 30th anniversary and a financial move that gives us more flexibility. It feels good and I'm quite excited, more than I thought I'd be, to have that long commitment satisfied.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MostWonderfulTime wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:59 am Congratulation to the goblue100 family! You've inspired me to share our milestone. Yesterday, my husband and I also paid off our mortgage by walking into a local branch of Chase and writing a final payoff check using a large portion of our year-end bonuses. 30 years ago, we were engaged and shopping for our first house. In our case, paying off the mortgage was a celebration of our up-coming 30th anniversary and a financial move that gives us more flexibility. It feels good and I'm quite excited, more than I thought I'd be, to have that long commitment satisfied.
Congratulations both on 30 years of marriage and on zeroing out the mortgage note. Both are worth celebrating :) :) .
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

KlangFool
Congratulations!

That was by far the best feeling we had with any financial milestone. Unreal how much cash flow it freed up as we had zero college savings and had to send 3 kids through college between 2007-2015. We paid off my wife's student loans shortly thereafter (she went back to college when youngest went to 1st grade) and we kind of get a kick that the kids got their education paid for before she did. It was her salary once she got out of school and started working again that paid for the kids education.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

MrBobcat wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:19 pm

KlangFool
Congratulations!

That was by far the best feeling we had with any financial milestone. Unreal how much cash flow it freed up as we had zero college savings and had to send 3 kids through college between 2007-2015. We paid off my wife's student loans shortly thereafter (she went back to college when youngest went to 1st grade) and we kind of get a kick that the kids got their education paid for before she did. It was her salary once she got out of school and started working again that paid for the kids education.

Thanks.

KlangFool