Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
OnFire

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by OnFire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 am

Pretty sure that my wife and I, after a decent inheritance from her mother, and a rocketing stock market, have joined the two comma club.

Not really sure though, and it’s doesn’t really matter. I’ve got another 20 years to work, and she has 25 or 30.

But still. It feels good to know we are getting there.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am

Congrats to all, and to those who strive every day to reach that seemingly unreachable goal. Once reached, it's time to make a new one.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Congrats to all the posters. I'm not quite sure what my retirement goals are, but it feels like I'm getting pretty close. Another couple good years in the markets, and we'll see.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm

WoodSpinner wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Well I wasn't going to post this, but since I was prompted by this new thread title, here goes!

My husband and I surpassed a net worth of $2,000,000 yesterday for the first time. :moneybag

With bonuses pending and a strong savings rate, we should stay above this level even if/when the market corrects. In reality we've probably been here for a while due to RE values, but I list those at cost on my balance sheet so it's staring at me in print for the first time. We hit $1MM 3 years and 9 months ago (the month we got married), and we expect to hit $3MM in 3 more years (if there are no major market downturns or income gaps).

To be honest I haven't even told my husband yet, and I'm sure we won't do anything special to celebrate. I feel a bit selfish/guilty even being excited about this milestone. However it is a major one for me since I feel that it marks a true sense of financial independence. We can't retire now given our current spending level ($150k a year including our mortgage), but if we never earn or save another dollar we could downsize and live comfortably indefinitely. Similarly, if we quit saving and spent ever dollar we make from here on, we should be set for retirement . This slow realization has caused us to loosen up the spending reigns this past year. Basically anything we earn and save now is gravy.

My number one financial goal this year is to increase the amount that we give away. Our giving rate hasn't kept pace with our saving and spending increases over time.
Please let us know his reaction!
Ha, it was fairly underwhelming as expected. I think he said something like, "wow, that's crazy," and then tuned back into whatever he was watching/reading. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary to mark the occasion, although at one point when we were walking home from a restaurant in below freezing temps - in heels for me with my feet aching after a long night - I did say something like, "we have two million dollars; next time we are taking an Uber." He smiled, and I consider his lack of resistance a mini-celebration in and of itself!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Mine is two part. In Nov 2016 we paid off our mortgage. In December 2017 we joined the two comma club (not including home value).
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm
WoodSpinner wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Well I wasn't going to post this, but since I was prompted by this new thread title, here goes!

My husband and I surpassed a net worth of $2,000,000 yesterday for the first time. :moneybag

With bonuses pending and a strong savings rate, we should stay above this level even if/when the market corrects. In reality we've probably been here for a while due to RE values, but I list those at cost on my balance sheet so it's staring at me in print for the first time. We hit $1MM 3 years and 9 months ago (the month we got married), and we expect to hit $3MM in 3 more years (if there are no major market downturns or income gaps).

To be honest I haven't even told my husband yet, and I'm sure we won't do anything special to celebrate. I feel a bit selfish/guilty even being excited about this milestone. However it is a major one for me since I feel that it marks a true sense of financial independence. We can't retire now given our current spending level ($150k a year including our mortgage), but if we never earn or save another dollar we could downsize and live comfortably indefinitely. Similarly, if we quit saving and spent ever dollar we make from here on, we should be set for retirement . This slow realization has caused us to loosen up the spending reigns this past year. Basically anything we earn and save now is gravy.

My number one financial goal this year is to increase the amount that we give away. Our giving rate hasn't kept pace with our saving and spending increases over time.
Please let us know his reaction!
Ha, it was fairly underwhelming as expected. I think he said something like, "wow, that's crazy," and then tuned back into whatever he was watching/reading. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary to mark the occasion, although at one point when we were walking home from a restaurant in below freezing temps - in heels for me with my feet aching after a long night - I did say something like, "we have two million dollars; next time we are taking an Uber." He smiled, and I consider his lack of resistance a mini-celebration in and of itself!
The slow creep of spending begins .... :greedy

GetMeToRetirement

Post by GetMeToRetirement » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:38 pm

New to the forum and really enjoying it so far! Our family (35/34/3/0) just hit over $1M in assets last month! We hope to improve that to $1M in net worth after a few more years of paying down the mortgage (depending on market performance of course - largely the 401k).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm

A livesoft milestone: Our portfolio is up 7-figures since the low of 2 years ago. Yes, we did not make a million dollars in one year, but it took 2 years. And we paid less than about $7,000 in income taxes for those 2 years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm
A livesoft milestone: Our portfolio is up 7-figures since the low of 2 years ago. Yes, we did not make a million dollars in one year, but it took 2 years. And we paid less than about $7,000 in income taxes for those 2 years.
2 years? This is why market timing doesn't work.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes, there is definitely room for improvement. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Not a milestone but a dizzying statistic-- so far in January, I've received 1 paycheck of 2018 from my employer for a gross value of X... My portfolio is up 18X.

Ok sure, once the second paycheck comes in at the end of the month this will drop this down to more of a 9-10x for the month number but I honestly wasn't sure if I should be jumping for joy or puking out of fear with the amount of dollars at risk relative to my paycheck LOL. :confused

sc9182

Post by sc9182 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Snowjob wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:42 pm
Not a milestone but a dizzying statistic-- so far in January, I've received 1 paycheck of 2018 from my employer for a gross value of X... My portfolio is up 18X.

Ok sure, once the second paycheck comes in at the end of the month this will drop this down to more of a 9-10x for the month number but I honestly wasn't sure if I should be jumping for joy or puking out of fear with the amount of dollars at risk relative to my paycheck LOL. :confused
With reasonable asset allocation, there is not much you would like to do, nor can you do - enjoy the ride.

Expect the swings (ups as well as downs) could potentially only get bigger (hopefully for better). Consider yourself an observer of your portfolio. Do save screen-shots of your portfolio on your smart-phone, they would look super cool and could help narrate your personal financial year-book :-)

kwiekailey

Post by kwiekailey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:54 pm

I don't know if it's a positive financial milestone, but I'm graduating from college this May, so student loans here I come! :oops: :dollar

Traveler

Can I be a member of the two comma club?

Post by Traveler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:41 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I was logged into several financial accounts this week and with the recent run-up of the market, decided to tally up the totals. Including retirement accounts, brokerage, stock, cash and estimated home equity, I realized I'm part of the two comma club. Next step is to get there without home equity - maybe in the next year or two. I'm 46, single, never married and have done this all on my own through studying and getting two degrees that provide for a decent income. I hope to have enough to retire when I'm 55.

dccboone

Re: Can I be a member of the two comma club?

Post by dccboone » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Congratulations Traveler! :sharebeer

2 bits

Post by 2 bits » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Yes, sure you can be a member. Different folks define net worth differently. As of now you are including home equity but as you indicate you have your eye on the next level.
Keep up the good work!
I sometimes think that I am living the life of which my immigrant ancestors dreamed.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:49 pm

alas, some of us only consider “millionaires “ when we’ve got that in “investable assets “ of which home equity is not included (many, many threads on that)

but congrats on the milestone

OldSport

Post by OldSport » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:03 am

Nearing_Destination wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:49 pm
alas, some of us only consider “millionaires “ when we’ve got that in “investable assets “ of which home equity is not included (many, many threads on that)

OP is a millionaire. Home equity counts toward net worth. I worked very hard to get a proper 20% down payment when I bought my house. I am absolutely counting that. Real estate is an asset. Having a million in investable assets is another milestone for sure.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 am

Welcome to the club! I think there is a single thread dedicated to financial milestones now, so perhaps the mods can merge this one in rather than keep it separate.

Whether you are going by net worth or by invested assets, once you are two comma the reality is as long as you stay the course we won’t pull your membership :sharebeer

The exception would be folks on HCOL real estate run-up regions like CA. If you claim two comma but 90% of your worth is in your property, there is a strong chance your membership could be pulled due to such a lack of investment diversity (local real estate) if the market turns.

Congrats!

Cipro

Finally!!!

Post by Cipro » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:41 am

Happy days! Finally paid off last college tuition bill for kids. That's 3 through (private) college.

Drinks on me!

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:41 am

Strayshot wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 am
The exception would be folks on HCOL real estate run-up regions like CA. If you claim two comma but 90% of your worth is in your property, there is a strong chance your membership could be pulled due to such a lack of investment diversity (local real estate) if the market turns.

Congrats!
Might I suggest that those who have most of our net worth in financial investments have a similar risk of dropping out of the 2-comma club when the market turns. :shock:

Toons

Re: Finally!!!

Post by Toons » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:42 am

Wow!!!
3 private college,....
Kudos!!

:sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:51 am

When I hit the two comma club I was happy. Not counting home, all paid off. But I felt I needed the two commas plus a buffer in case of a market setback. Thanks to this wonderful Jaunary run up, I now feel I have that buffer.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 am

boglegirl wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:41 am
Strayshot wrote:

Congrats!
Might I suggest that those who have most of our net worth in financial investments have a similar risk of dropping out of the 2-comma club when the market turns. :shock:
You could except that the risk profiles are completely different. If you are a boglehead and your investments are in broad equity or bond indexes and an age appropriate asset allocation, your portfolio is designed to stay the course. If you have a majority of your worth tied up in a single family home you are subject not just to sector risk but local market risk.

Your point is correct, any asset can lose value. I was just trying to point out the differences in risk and the realization of that risk kicking someone out of the club. You could own only watches, beanie babies, or cars and be in the X-comma club, but if beanie babies drop in value (already happened) your card gets pulled :moneybag :moneybag

student

Post by student » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:58 am

Wow. Congratulations.

2b2

Post by 2b2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:12 am

You've actually got money to buy drinks after all that?
:shock:
Nicely done!

2b2

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for the membership card. For what it's worth, I paid off my townhouse in December and it represents about 15-17% of my net worth. Next step - $1M in investable assets.

Cincyguy63

Post by Cincyguy63 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 am

boglegirl wrote:
Strayshot wrote:

Congrats!
During these times, I look at my overall investment portfolio minus 20%.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:36 am

OldSport wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:03 am
Nearing_Destination wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:49 pm

OP is a millionaire. Home equity counts toward net worth. I worked very hard to get a proper 20% down payment when I bought my house. I am absolutely counting that. Real estate is an asset. Having a million in investable assets is another milestone for sure.
That's where I'm at, too. Millionaire only with home equity (investable assets currently around $760K). For my estimations, I look at a reasonable online value - taking a look at comps to judge what's reasonable - and then lop off 5% in transaction fees. Since I'm currently planning/hoping to retire early in a lower COLA, I'm not sure why I would ignore the admittedly illiquid money that's tied up in my house.

I do agree that the investable-assets-only millionaire is another milestone I'm looking forward to.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

A-Commoner

2017 Portfolio Returns > Earned Income

Post by A-Commoner » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 pm

While gathering our documents to file our 2017 tax returns, I was pleasantly surprised to see our portfolio returns exceeded our earned income for the whole year. We are a 2 physician household, so our incomes from our jobs are not insignificant, yet our portfolio returns (all in mutual funds allocated in Boglehead fashion) still exceeded that. Sorry if this comes across as humble brag, but I just wanted to anonymously note this "milestone" for what it's worth and what it means.

ThePrince

Re: 2017 Portfolio Returns > Earned Income

Post by ThePrince » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 pm

Quite impressive. I look forward to the day my portfolio accomplishes the same.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:57 pm

You are not the only one. Let's clink our glasses and celebrate happy days, because I distinctly remember some equally impressive downturns.

rob in cal

moderate income, high net assets, one way to get there

Post by rob in cal » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:09 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below (Page 4). --admin LadyGeek]

I've been analyzing how my wife and I have achieved a pretty high asset level (by US standards, not necessarily bogleheads) and there were a few key steps for us. I've been working as a full time (actually down to about 30 hours now, my wife works another 7 hours per week also) pizza, pasta, grill food delivery driver.
Step one, get a little lucky with our home purchase. We bought in Sacramento area in 1998, literally months before the great housing boom took off.
The fairly low purchase price allowed us to pay over 20% down, and then we poured all of our savings into mortgage destruction, achieved in 2004. From 2004 not having a mortgage allowed us to put that much more of our income into investments.
Step two, live modestly. We've never adjusted our lifestyle too much base on our income, so overall savings levels are retained year in year out, with some variance due to kids getting older, working a little less etc.
Step three, work a little extra for while. For several years I worked 6 dinner shifts and 5 lunch shifts delivering food at the restaurant we work at. I view that sixth night a week that I worked as the part time job I used to have. Doing that for six years in the early 2000's and investing all that extra money I made, is equal, with investing and compounding, to maybe 100 k today.
Step four, regular investing. Since 2004 I've been putting money into different things (there was my whole Prosper fixation of 2005-2008), but mostly since 2008, into first a share of ownership at the restaurant we work at (which has created a nice little income stream since 2010) and then into my vanguard index funds.
Over the last five years or so I've finally seen all this work really come to fruition, as I put restaurant ownership dividends straight into my index funds, in addition to regular income savings, so that my index funds are exploding because of that and high returns.
Step five, a modest inheritance that we also put into savings. It was helpful, and probably accounts for about 10% of our total assets.
The crazy thing about all this was that for much of the time my wife was a stay at home mom, and she only helps out at the restaurant very part time. Oh, and I suppose the other crazy thing is that I've been delivery driver for all this time, and that is often considered, as my daughter humourously puts it, "a college students job".
Would like to hear from others about how they've achived high assets with modest annual income.

student

Re: moderate income, high net assets, one way to get there

Post by student » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Very inspiring.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:38 pm

True that. I recall 2008 when our earned incomes were negated by our portfolio losses. Ironically our incomes in 2008 were among the highest we ever earned in our careers. I remember our practice was flooded with patients. Most of them were probably aware of impending job losses and wanted to see their doctors one last time before they lost health insurance. What a terrible time.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Congrats

My goal is to get to a point where I’m living off dividends - 15-20 years of doing what I’m doing should hopefully get there

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Congratulations. Putting three kids through college is not a small feat. They should be eternally grateful to you and your spouse.
A fool and his money are good for business.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Wow! Nicely done. We should buy YOU drinks.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:23 pm

A-Commoner - I merged your thread into here, which is a sticky at the top of the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum.
Alex Frakt wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:22 am
Following the discussions at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=237250, we are going to make this an omnibus thread for member announcements that they have reached a financial milestone such as achieving a million in net worth, aka, joining the 2 Comma Club, and member responses to those announcements. If we find new threads on this topic posted elsewhere, they will be merged here.

Please note that if your post is primarily a question about investing or personal finance strategy,, even if it includes a note about reaching a milestone, please post in the appropriate forums so they get individualized attention.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

tknelson

Post by tknelson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Reading all these posts definitely brings me hope, as a 27 year old. Not much of a mile stone to report, except that I just finished graduating with my masters degree in 2017, and paid of my student loans in full. I didn't fully understand the need for prepping for retirement at such an early age, especially with most of my friends not giving the slightest of importance to this subject. I guess after working for over a year, and casually reading financial blogs and watching YouTube videos on the side about the importance of financial literacy, I got intrigued in this subject.

I can happily say that I have fully started on this journey as of the end of 2017, with about 55k in net worth (401k, IRA, Investment account, and savings).

Congratulations to all those who have gone ahead of me, you all certainly inspire me!
:sharebeer

~Peace

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:14 pm

yes, looking forward to when you can join us there

remember that generally housing rises at about the rate of inflation (understood that some markets can deviate), needs upkeep costs, and has taxes that can’t be optimized (and, as we have just seen, can be limited in being able to be deducted)

investable assets are more variable but can be structured to more tax efficient and less reliant on local conditions (think Houston in the 80’s and the like). flexibility is also higher when your net worth is in equities as one can relocate if needed without erosion due to frictional costs

{edit: yes, Golfalot, we’ve found that as well— since we know we can structure our income to pay as low a tax level as we can, depending on where we take the money, although we need to do Roth conversions still for significant amounts in IRA’s so that we get the benefits and not the “uncle “}
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golfalot

Post by Golfalot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Congrats....and welcome to the Club...:sharebeer

As time goes by, I also found it very satisfying to achieve this milestone without including home equity....and then after more years of saving & market gains, it felt great to achieve this milestone with just the after-tax accounts.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 pm

The way that I see it, you can join the two-comma-club as often as you pass the million dollar mark GOING UP. Using net worth or only investable assets is your call.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:30 pm

actually, the kids should

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm

kenyan wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:36 am

Since I'm currently planning/hoping to retire early in a lower COLA, I'm not sure why I would ignore the admittedly illiquid money that's tied up in my house.
Right, I have not seen any renters set aside a few hundred thousand dollars of future rental costs before calculating the value of their portfolio.

I count the value of our (paid off) home and our vehicles. Anything beyond that would be too costly to track.

Congrats, OP! :beer

Next stop for me: three comma club (using Indian numbering system)

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm

It’s absurd that anyone would suggest that home equity does not count towards net worth. Unless, of course, they are making up their own rules.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Your net worth is > 1,000,000. You're in the club. Congratulations.

Now, on to saving enough to meet your FI/retirement goals, whatever those are. Take your recent accomplishments as a sign that you can do it.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:01 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Assume that will happen.

Lastrun

Post by Lastrun » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 pm

NextMil wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm
It’s absurd that anyone would suggest that home equity does not count towards net worth. Unless, of course, they are making up their own rules.
I think absurd, respectfully, it too strong a word, as is the phrase making up their own rules. There is support for this in the definition of "accredited investor" for purposes of federal securities laws. Under that definition for net worth purposes, the amount is $1.0 million and excludes home equity. A change made recently by Dodd-Frank. So the investable versus home equity distinction is real in the investment world.

Enough of my rant because fundamentally I agree with you and offer congrats to the OP for the milestone.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Cipro wrote:
Drinks on me!
Don't get drunk on the cash flow.