Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Chicattle

Re: Mortgage free as of today!!

Post by Chicattle »

topper1296 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:29 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Today I called my bank to make my last payment on my mortgage and now I am completely debt free. :beer :D

The bank also said they have stopped my future autopayments and I have to call back in a couple days after the final payment is posted to request the letter stating it is paid in full. The bank also told me they will send the funds in my escrow account to me within 20 days. I'll follow up on both items.

I think the next steps are to call my insurance company to notify them and also call the country property tax office about having my property tax bill sent directly to me. I'll also have to follow up with the county to make sure my lien/deed has been released and then receive something in mail from the county stating that (I think), but I don't know how long yet that is supposed to take in TN. Am I missing anything else here?

I know that my credit score that is currently in the 830's will take a hit, but I don't care. :D And tonight I plan on celebrating with an Old Fashioned or two. :beer
:sharebeer

Congratulations!

And thank you for the reminder. I have to do the same as I just recently paid mine off too. It certainly is a great feeling! :D
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Chicattle wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:39 pm
topper1296 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:29 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Today I called my bank to make my last payment on my mortgage and now I am completely debt free. :beer :D

. . . . .

I know that my credit score that is currently in the 830's will take a hit, but I don't care. :D And tonight I plan on celebrating with an Old Fashioned or two. :beer

Congratulations on paying off your mortgage. It's awesome to be debt free :D .

Sad but true about the credit rating. You are more creditworthy and your credit score drops.

Still worth paying off the mortgage.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
livesoft

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by livesoft »

Here's an odd financial milestone for us: In the past 12 months our portfolio value increased by more than 10 times my highest ever salary. Index fund investing works.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

livesoft wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm Here's an odd financial milestone for us: In the past 12 months our portfolio value increased by more than 10 times my highest ever salary. Index fund investing works.
Now THAT’S impressive!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
DawgFan2001

Post by DawgFan2001 »

After coming super close and then dropping back, I've crossed the $1,000,000 mark in my IRAs, 401(k) and brokerage account combined! It may drop below again, but it was nice to notice it crossing at least once. I started saving in the fall of 2004 with my first real job upon graduation. Salary ranged from $62K to $132K during this time.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm Here's an odd financial milestone for us: In the past 12 months our portfolio value increased by more than 10 times my highest ever salary. Index fund investing works.
Congrats Daddy Warbucks! :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

DawgFan2001 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:31 pm After coming super close and then dropping back, I've crossed the $1,000,000 mark in my IRAs, 401(k) and brokerage account combined! It may drop below again, but it was nice to notice it crossing at least once. I started saving in the fall of 2004 with my first real job upon graduation. Salary ranged from $62K to $132K during this time.
Congrats! :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

The bank also said they have stopped my future autopayments and I have to call back in a couple days after the final payment is posted to request the letter stating it is paid in full. The bank also told me they will send the funds in my escrow account to me within 20 days. I'll follow up on both items.

I think the next steps are to call my insurance company to notify them and also call the country property tax office about having my property tax bill sent directly to me. I'll also have to follow up with the county to make sure my lien/deed has been released and then receive something in mail from the county stating that (I think), but I don't know how long yet that is supposed to take in TN. Am I missing anything else here?

Congratulations!! Must be a great feeling! I am still 2 years away from that moment, but I already feel giddy about it :mrgreen:
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

all crossed 3 Million (3 comma) net worth early this year!

:D
Last edited by retire2022 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:31 am all crossed 3 comma net worth early this year!

:D
Congrats on becoming a billionaire :beer
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

jarjarM wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:34 am
it is 3.0 Million but thanks :)
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:35 am
$3,000,000 still has 2 commas. I also thought maybe you were a billionaire lol.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

AquaBliss wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:43 am
I see I guess I am not a good communicator, haha!

I edited my post again.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:47 am
AquaBliss wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:43 am
I see I guess I am not a good communicator, haha!
I think that you're a better accumulator than communicator. :D

Congratulations on your milestone!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
kjbasser

Paid Off Our Mortgage!!

Post by kjbasser »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

We wiped out the rest of our mortgage this week. Feels great and just wanted to share with the community as I plan on keeping this relatively quiet in my personal life. Wife and I never made over 120k combined HHI, 35/34 year old electrician and x-ray tech with two kids. Low cost of living state with good jobs and a lot of discipline.

Next stop early retirement!
brad.clarkston

Re: Paid Off Our Mortgage!!

Post by brad.clarkston »

Woot! Good job ! :sharebeer :sharebeer
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
vas

Post by vas »

Congratulations! That's a big milestone. :sharebeer
“For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

kjbasser wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 am We wiped out the rest of our mortgage this week. Feels great and just wanted to share with the community as I plan on keeping this relatively quiet in my personal life. Wife and I never made over 120k combined HHI, 35/34 year old electrician and x-ray tech with two kids. Low cost of living state with good jobs and a lot of discipline.

Congratulations! That is an enormous accomplishment - great job!
life in slices

Post by life in slices »

Congratulations - huge accomplishment!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Congratulations!

A couple of things to do now that the mortgage is paid off;

1) Contact your home insurance company to have them take the lender off of your home insurance policy.

2) Be sure stop any automatic mortgage payments. If you had an escrow account then be sure that your home insurance and property taxes get paid on time even if you do not get a bill.

3) It may take a month or more for the paperwork to clear to remove the mortgage lien from your property. Save the paperwork that says the lien was removed since that can be important. Be sure to check with your county to to make sure that the lien was actually removed even though you got the paperwork saying that it was. The problem is that once in a blue moon it will not actually be removed and it can be a mess if you do not find this out until decades from now and have to get it fixed long after the lender is merged with some other company. It will be much easier to get any problems fixed now. In my area you can see lien on a property on the counties web site but in some area you may need to go into the county courthouse to ask how to check on that.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

Congrats! You're on the nice path toward early retirement!

I too paid off our mortgage early and really glad we did it in our 30's.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Congratulations! We paid off our home at the ages of 47 & 43, so you are a decade ahead of us!
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Congratulations -- :sharebeer

-------------------------------------------------------
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Congratulations! That's a big milestone. :sharebeer We paid ours off just over a year ago and have no regrets at all.

Be sure to inform your insurance company to send premium notices to you, and also be sure that your tax assessor sends payment notices to you as well.
The Sensible Steward
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Congratulations, kjbasser! :sharebeer
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz
fittan

Post by fittan »

Congrats! It's a big milestone.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Congrats! The freedom you are now going to feel will be absolutely amazing!!
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Congratulating you on a job well done. Don't forget to do something fun to celebrate!
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Get a frame for the payoff notice - though I'd keep it closeted (literally and metaphorically).
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

Congrats on such a wonderful accomplishment! We are working hard to reach this milestone as well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged kjbasser's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the US Chapters (community) forum.

Congrats!! :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Nice job! That is a great accomplishment for a couple so young.

We were starting the mortgage on our current home at age 36. It was paid off earlier than the length of the mortgage. As well, we put down about 50%, so the mortgage wasn't all that much of a burden.

OP, are you formally mapping to early retirement because of your trade? Sometimes trades really take it out of you, physically. My BIL is a mechanic, aged 63, and he is very selective on the job tickets he picks up. He has back issues due to twisting and turning to get to the various systems he has to work on. His father was a mechanic, and he had back issues, also.

I imagine you do some physical work similar in your job.

Again, congrats! :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

kjbasser wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 am [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

We wiped out the rest of our mortgage this week. Feels great and just wanted to share with the community as I plan on keeping this relatively quiet in my personal life. Wife and I never made over 120k combined HHI, 35/34 year old electrician and x-ray tech with two kids. Low cost of living state with good jobs and a lot of discipline.

Congratulations :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
kjbasser

Post by kjbasser »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm Nice job! That is a great accomplishment for a couple so young.

We were starting the mortgage on our current home at age 36. It was paid off earlier than the length of the mortgage. As well, we put down about 50%, so the mortgage wasn't all that much of a burden.

OP, are you formally mapping to early retirement because of your trade? Sometimes trades really take it out of you, physically. My BIL is a mechanic, aged 63, and he is very selective on the job tickets he picks up. He has back issues due to twisting and turning to get to the various systems he has to work on. His father was a mechanic, and he had back issues, also.

Broken Man 1999
These days I work more in controls and automation, not too much construction. Eventually I’ll will transition to a supervisory role if I stay put when I’m ready to put my tools down. In all reality who knows if I’ll retire early, but the flexibility is what I’m after.

My main goal was the house so we can enjoy the extra cash flow, ramp up investing even more and slow down a little bit.

Thanks for all the support, it’s much appreciated. Still doesn’t feel real, maybe it won’t since we’ve been pretty methodical about it.
madtryx44

Post by madtryx44 »

madtryx44 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:47 am Male, Married, 1 child (38/39/1 y/o), VHCOL

Exceeded 2mm in investments and home equity this morning while tabulating quarterly data. NW as percentage: 48.52% tax-advantaged, 30.08% taxable, 21.4% home equity. All self-built (ie no inheritance). Hoping to exceed this threshold in investments only in next 2-3 years. The power of compounding is starting to be noticeable - thank you Bogleheads! :sharebeer
I can't believe it but surpassed 2mm in investments alone due to investment appreciation/normal contributions. NW as percentage: 50.21% tax-advantaged, 31.59% taxable, 18.2% home equity. Current thinking/target is between 4-5mm for a 'non-traditional retirement' (work on my schedule, on my interests, where money is not critical). Hoping to achieve this around 50 yo (11.5 years to go). Thank you all again!!
Raymond

Re: Milestone #2 250K

Post by Raymond »

VAslim16 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:42 am
...Now I probably jinxed things and will be back under 100K in a few hours when the market opens.
I hope that in not too many years a one-day drop or rise of $100,000 in your portfolio will cause you to merely raise one eyebrow and say, "Hmm, that's interesting."
:sharebeer

[Whoops! Quoted a post from 2017] :happy
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

kjbasser wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:16 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm Nice job! That is a great accomplishment for a couple so young.

Broken Man 1999
These days I work more in controls and automation, not too much construction. Eventually I’ll will transition to a supervisory role if I stay put when I’m ready to put my tools down. In all reality who knows if I’ll retire early, but the flexibility is what I’m after.

My main goal was the house so we can enjoy the extra cash flow, ramp up investing even more and slow down a little bit.

Thanks for all the support, it’s much appreciated. Still doesn’t feel real, maybe it won’t since we’ve been pretty methodical about it.
Congrats! Doesn't feel real? It will feel real when there is no debit out of your checking account except the one that is directed to your ER fund. :sharebeer You should call up Dave Ramsey and do a Debt Free Scream! that will make it feel real! :D
planetmike

Post by planetmike »

We are halfway to the two comma club. Broke $500,000 net worth (home value included) on yesterday's monthly spreadsheet update, no debts. Aiming to retire in ten-ish years, at 62.

Many thanks to the contributors and discussions on this site. It sounds trite, but we couldn't have done it without your help.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

planetmike wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:32 am We are halfway to the two comma club. Broke $500,000 net worth (home value included) on yesterday's monthly spreadsheet update, no debts. Aiming to retire in ten-ish years, at 62.

Many thanks to the contributors and discussions on this site. It sounds trite, but we couldn't have done it without your help.
Congratulations! That’s wonderful.

With no debts to hold you back, I expect that you make it to the two-comma club sooner than your plan.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Yesterday's market action put us over $2,000,000 net worth for the first time. :beer

It took 50 years to get to $1,000,000 and about 5 more years to get the second million.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

planetmike wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:32 am We are halfway to the two comma club. Broke $500,000 net worth (home value included) on yesterday's monthly spreadsheet update, no debts. Aiming to retire in ten-ish years, at 62.

Congratulations!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Atilla wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 am Yesterday's market action put us over $2,000,000 net worth for the first time. :beer

It took 50 years to get to $1,000,000 and about 5 more years to get the second million.
Wow! Congratulations!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Tallied up our accounts for the monthly spreadsheet entry and our retirement accounts have now cracked $200,000! Took from July 2012 to get from first invested dollar to November 2019 to reach $100,000 invested. Then seventeen months to get from $100,000 to $200,000.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I have a spreadsheet that calculates how many X I have for a given amount annual expenses. It has multiple columns, one for each annual expense level (hope that makes sense). As of this morning I have exceeded 25x for the last (highest) expense column on the spreadsheet (which I had never actually considered realistic). So technically my portfolio is now off the chart.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
golf101

Post by golf101 »

I updated my net worth in March and realized that I passed $1M in my individual retirement accounts at 43 (excluding my husband’s accounts as he started saving later than me).

We are at $1.5M combined so on our way to early retirement!
msjohn07

Post by msjohn07 »

Updated my wife (32) and I (37) balance sheet yesterday. Finally broke the 2 comma club with home equity. Feel like the plan is finally rolling.

1.05M :mrgreen:

Next step, 2 comma club on investments only. Hopefully by the end of the year.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

msjohn07 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:03 pm Updated my wife (32) and I (37) balance sheet yesterday. Finally broke the 2 comma club with home equity. Feel like the plan is finally rolling.

1.05M :mrgreen:

Next step, 2 comma club on investments only. Hopefully by the end of the year.
Congratulations! We went through that one-two punch of milestones in the past year, and it is a nice feeling.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 am Tallied up our accounts for the monthly spreadsheet entry and our retirement accounts have now cracked $200,000! Took from July 2012 to get from first invested dollar to November 2019 to reach $100,000 invested. Then seventeen months to get from $100,000 to $200,000.
Good job! The first 100k always seems to be the hardest, probably because that's when even small unexpected expenses can knock your proverbial financial boat askew.
william.don

Post by william.don »

I'm really excited that I finally have a retirement plan in place.
I'm young but anxiety around finances kept me putting it off for like 3 years because I just couldn't do it.
1 week on the bogleheads wiki and forum...it's set
I went with the 3 fund with % bonds = age for simplicity.
Couldn't believe how easy this all actually was. :oops:

Now I'm feeling ready to actually learn more (back door roth maybe!) and try to optimize some more.

I owe a million thanks to everyone here :sharebeer
I am spreading the word :moneybag
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

william.don wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:21 pm I'm really excited that I finally have a retirement plan in place.
I'm young but anxiety around finances kept me putting it off for like 3 years because I just couldn't do it.
1 week on the bogleheads wiki and forum...it's set
I went with the 3 fund with % bonds = age for simplicity.
Couldn't believe how easy this all actually was. :oops:

Now I'm feeling ready to actually learn more (back door roth maybe!) and try to optimize some more.

I owe a million thanks to everyone here :sharebeer
I am spreading the word :moneybag
Congratulations!

Spread the word!