Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
student

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by student »

Centralus wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:19 pm Today marks my first day as a member of Bogleheads.org. My net worth is $2,000,000.00 this year and my profession is critical care RN. I have reached this goal as sole wage earner of my house and based on an income of 60k / year plus overtime and weekend program brining my income to 100k. I just reached the age of 52 and I save 40% of my gross income currently. My early years as an RN in my 20's I earned about 50K and saved only 10% of my income until age 30. From 30 to 45 I earned about 80k per year saving 15 to 20%. I remember reaching 100k saved for retirement right before the crash of 2008 - 2009 and for 14 years after the returns and growth of my investments exceeded 7% ranging 7 to 14% consistently.
Wow.
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

Centralus wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:19 pm Today marks my first day as a member of Bogleheads.org. My net worth is $2,000,000.00 this year and my profession is critical care RN. I have reached this goal as sole wage earner of my house and based on an income of 60k / year plus overtime and weekend program brining my income to 100k. I just reached the age of 52 and I save 40% of my gross income currently. My early years as an RN in my 20's I earned about 50K and saved only 10% of my income until age 30. From 30 to 45 I earned about 80k per year saving 15 to 20%. I remember reaching 100k saved for retirement right before the crash of 2008 - 2009 and for 14 years after the returns and growth of my investments exceeded 7% ranging 7 to 14% consistently.
I love this thread, for this reason. What an accomplishment!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Centralus,
Welcome to Bogleheads, and an outstanding achievement! :sharebeer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :)

Congratulations on your achievement, that is outstanding.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Doohop65

Post by Doohop65 »

Well first a great big thank you to the community. I wouldn’t be sitting here with our current portfolio without all the excellent people here.

This morning when I opened my vanguard account I finally crossed the 2 comma club....$1,000,025.14. For the past several years I have aimed to hit the number by 40 and with some heavy savings and a strong market wind pushing us, I made it 2 years early.

I was just a kid when I stumbled across this website and life hadn’t been super great to me. As I sit here today I realize just how fortunate I am. I don’t post as much as many of you but I try to help where I can. I am clearly better off for finding bogleheads than I would have been with any financial firm I would have found.

It’s a great day. Thank you bogleheads for all of the help.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Doohop65 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am ... It’s a great day. Thank you bogleheads for all of the help.
Congratulations!!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Doohop65 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am This morning when I opened my vanguard account I finally crossed the 2 comma club....$1,000,025.14. For the past several years I have aimed to hit the number by 40 and with some heavy savings and a strong market wind pushing us, I made it 2 years early.
Congratulations, and well done!

I’ll assure you that the first $million is the hardest. Please post back when you hit that $2 million mark. It may come sooner than you think.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
luminous

Post by luminous »

Last night I realized that we have reached $3M net worth. A tremendous milestone that I almost don’t believe.

I grew up in a lower middle class household. I received no financial education beyond living below my means: a very important lesson, but missing was anything about investing, taxes, having a plan, etc. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Bogleheads have helped me gain a full financial education as my earning power exceeded my upbringing then exceeded my wildest dreams. I learned about the backdoor Roth here on the forum before I needed to do it myself, for example, which gave me time to prepare and learn. Writing and maintaining my IPS was a revelation.

As Doohop65 said just above: thank you to this community for providing amazing support, expertise, and feedback. I am better off for finding Bogleheads.
67/12/21 US stock/international stock/bonds. Bonds capped at 10x annual spending. Semi-retired as of 2022.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Doohop65 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am This morning when I opened my vanguard account I finally crossed the 2 comma club....$1,000,025.14. For the past several years I have aimed to hit the number by 40 and with some heavy savings and a strong market wind pushing us, I made it 2 years early.
Congratulations on two commas, two years early :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

luminous wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:26 am Last night I realized that we have reached $3M net worth. A tremendous milestone that I almost don’t believe.

I grew up in a lower middle class household. I received no financial education beyond living below my means: a very important lesson, but missing was anything about investing, taxes, having a plan, etc. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. Bogleheads have helped me gain a full financial education as my earning power exceeded my upbringing then exceeded my wildest dreams. I learned about the backdoor Roth here on the forum before I needed to do it myself, for example, which gave me time to prepare and learn. Writing and maintaining my IPS was a revelation.

As Doohop65 said just above: thank you to this community for providing amazing support, expertise, and feedback. I am better off for finding Bogleheads.
Congratulations :)
Chicattle

Post by Chicattle »

WOW! Congratulations! That's truly inspiring. :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

Doohop65 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am Well first a great big thank you to the community. I wouldn’t be sitting here with our current portfolio without all the excellent people here.

This morning when I opened my vanguard account I finally crossed the 2 comma club....$1,000,025.14. For the past several years I have aimed to hit the number by 40 and with some heavy savings and a strong market wind pushing us, I made it 2 years early.

I was just a kid when I stumbled across this website and life hadn’t been super great to me. As I sit here today I realize just how fortunate I am. I don’t post as much as many of you but I try to help where I can. I am clearly better off for finding bogleheads than I would have been with any financial firm I would have found.

Congratulations.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

This is admittedly a very silly and arbitrary milestone, but it did make me reflect on my journey so far. My wife and I bought our first home in September of 2020, at which point, our assets (including the home) landed just above $1m. The reason it's kind of silly is that we live in a VHCOL area, and we took on a little over $500k in debt to buy the home, so our net worth was only about $500k, but having $1m in assets under our control for the first time made me chuckle. I remember my family struggling to come up with a few dollars when I was in high school, so having $1m of anything was a weird feeling.

Interestingly enough, between good investment returns and getting a good deal on the home, our net worth has gone up to $650k less than half a year later. I can definitely feel our growth accelerating. I'm hopeful we'll be able to increase our income soon. If so, we should be on track on reach $1m in actual net worth in our early 30s.
Chicattle

Post by Chicattle »

Doohop65 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am Well first a great big thank you to the community. I wouldn’t be sitting here with our current portfolio without all the excellent people here.

That's excellent! Congratulations! :sharebeer
esqu1re

Post by esqu1re »

Congrats. Very inspiring.
GettingCloser

Post by GettingCloser »

Doohop65 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:33 am This morning when I opened my vanguard account I finally crossed the 2 comma club....$1,000,025.14
Congrats, doohop! That also means you’ve reached the threshold for Vanguard “Flagship” status, which used to get you a dedicated rep but still provides access to certain closed funds (eg some in the Primecap line), lower/no fees on certain things, etc. You can call VG and ask them to upgrade you, or just wait for them to do it eventually.

P.S. Little known fact: Flagship status also extends to other members of your family living at your same address. Our son is hoping to make the minimum initial purchase of VPMCX before he moves out.
GettingCloser

Post by GettingCloser »

Congrats, centralus! Your story is a reminder to all that hard work, LBYM, and consistent savings really do pay off!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

esqu1re wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:36 pm
Congrats. Very inspiring.
This is terrific. This forum and board is full of amazing advice and thoughtful, helpful,posters. We all benefit greatly from their contributions. It’s great to be a member.
Last edited by Normchad on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicattle

Post by Chicattle »

I hit a twofer recently.

I was holding onto some :moneybag in a savings account (~$80K) that was earning measly. I had been too hesitant to lump sum it into my investments, so instead I paid off my mortgage early :D .

Then last week, I saw that the total of my brokerage accounts reached $1,005,000! Not too shabby for 44 y/o me :beer. I am hoping that the 2nd million comes easier and much sooner now that I am allocating what would have been mortgage payments to my taxable investments.

Thanks for letting me celebrate here (don't have anyone to share this with). Life is good!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Chicattle wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:51 pm I hit a twofer recently.

I was holding onto some :moneybag in a savings account (~$80K) that was earning measly. I had been too hesitant to lump sum it into my investments, so instead I paid off my mortgage early :D .

Then last week, I saw that the total of my brokerage accounts reached $1,005,000! Not too shabby for 44 y/o me :beer. I am hoping that the 2nd million comes easier and much sooner now that I am allocating what would have been mortgage payments to my taxable investments.

Thanks for letting me celebrate here (don't have anyone to share this with). Life is good!
Congratulations, that's outstanding :D .
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Chicattle wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:51 pm I hit a twofer recently.

Well done, sir! 8-)
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Pinotage

Post by Pinotage »

Outstanding!!!
diydocwifejd

Post by diydocwifejd »

We are buying our first all-cash car on Wednesday, and I am so excited and so proud! It's long overdue (and we've had the funds waiting for well over a year). I couldn't share something like this in real life, but I wanted to share with you all! :beer
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin
mhc

Post by mhc »

diydocwifejd wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 am We are buying our first all-cash car on Wednesday, and I am so excited and so proud! It's long overdue (and we've had the funds waiting for well over a year). I couldn't share something like this in real life, but I wanted to share with you all! :beer
Good job! :beer
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Amazing! Well done. Congratulations!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

You might ask about discount for financing the car thru dealer. When I helped negotiate the purchase of mother’s car a year ago, Honda offered $700 price discount if she financed. She agreed to the loan and paid off with no penalty a week later.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

diydocwifejd wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 am We are buying our first all-cash car on Wednesday, and I am so excited and so proud! It's long overdue (and we've had the funds waiting for well over a year). I couldn't share something like this in real life, but I wanted to share with you all! :beer
Congratulations! That’s a big event in your life.

As noted in the post above, check to see if you can get a lower price if you accept dealer or manufacturer financing. Often the manufacturer will offer rebates to incent the financing. If you can get a cheaper price, take the financing and pay it off ASAP.

I’ve done this several times with good results. Saved me a few bucks.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Good for you :) .
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

Bb073084 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:44 pm Just passed a milestone today! $1.4M networth and $1M investments (pre-tax, post-tax, 401k, and 529).

DW (38) and myself (36) are very proud but realize this is just the beginning. Look forward to the day that we no longer worry about money or saving!
Well wow What a market! Only a few months later and we passed $1.5M net worth thanks almost entirely to market returns putting investments at nearly $1.1M.

Hope we continue to see a rise in the markets so we can reach our goal of $3-$4m in investments within 10 years to retire at 46 (me)/48 DW!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Our portfolio reached $500k today. Next stop, cool mill. 8-)
The Sensible Steward
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 pm Our portfolio reached $500k today. Next stop, cool mill. 8-)
Congrats! That is a terrific milestone!
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 pm Our portfolio reached $500k today. Next stop, cool mill. 8-)
Well done! :beer
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Thrilling accomplishment. Well done! :beer
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Normchad wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 pm
Congrats! That is a terrific milestone!
jarjarM wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 pm
Well done! :beer
Marseille07 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:04 pm
Thrilling accomplishment. Well done! :beer
Thanks all! We've been extremely blessed.
The Sensible Steward
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

You are one of the most insightful contributors to this Forum. I’m glad that you’re building wealth.

Congratulations!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Stinky wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:07 pm
You are one of the most insightful contributors to this Forum. I’m glad that you’re building wealth.

Congratulations!
Thanks!

You're too kind. But at least I'm one of the most prolific contributors!
The Sensible Steward
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Congrats and thanks for your forum contributions!
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Our joint account hit $2MM for the first time today. That should offer a decent bridge to tax deferred withdrawals. :D
Being wrong compounds forever.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

dkdoy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:25 pm
Congrats and thanks for your forum contributions!
Thanks, and you're welcome. :beer
The Sensible Steward
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 pm Our joint account hit $2MM for the first time today. That should offer a decent bridge to tax deferred withdrawals. :D
Outstanding! That is a beautifully round number!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 pm Our joint account hit $2MM for the first time today. That should offer a decent bridge to tax deferred withdrawals. :D
Very nice! The second was easier than the first, right? :wink:
The Sensible Steward
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Our accounts crossed 2.1 today. Age 52 and 50. Definitely looking forward to an early retirement.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

dkdoy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:54 pm Our accounts crossed 2.1 today. Age 52 and 50. Definitely looking forward to an early retirement.
Well done! Here is to your accomplishment! :sharebeer

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I love and really enjoy that this forum is helping so many folks become more financially secure and better investors based on investing advice inspired by Jack Bogle!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Locked myself out of Coinbase.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

watchnerd wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:54 pm Locked myself out of Coinbase.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :D
Wanderingwheelz

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:29 pm
The second was so easy I stopped working until life shows me I need to change my course of action. If you ever needed a sign we’re in a bubble, there you have it. :)

With a net worth of $4MM the last $1MM took roughly 12 months. Covid has been an amazing thing for those of us with assets- especially with homes in hot resort markets.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:42 am
The second was so easy I stopped working until life shows me I need to change my course of action. If you ever needed a sign we’re in a bubble, there you have it. :)

With a net worth of $4MM the last $1MM took roughly 12 months. Covid has been an amazing thing for those of us with assets- especially with homes in hot resort markets.
We too have experienced significant property appreciation in recent years. Our home is worth 50% more now than it was when we bought it about six years ago.

So are you taking some 'risk' off the table?
The Sensible Steward
Wanderingwheelz

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:27 am

We too have experienced significant property appreciation in recent years. Our home is worth 50% more now than it was when we bought it about six years ago.

No. But I think about taking risk off the table just about every single day- especially on days like yesterday when your NW jumps by 1x expenses. If I went to all-cash it would be a very long time before I ran out of money, if I ever did. Someday, when you’ve accumulated enough assets to quit working you’ll probably think those sorts of thoughts too.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:27 am

FWIW - our home up north (NE) is just about 3.5X the value of when we purchased it 21 years ago. We feel its a good time to sell at this time.