Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
DesertDiva

Re: Milestone #2 250K

Post by DesertDiva »

There are 4.5 billion people on the planet with less than $100k in assets.

One in five US households has zero or negative wealth.

The median net worth of US households is $97,300.

You are above average!
JasonA1987

Post by JasonA1987 »

Congratulations! I just hit $100k in retirement last week. I can fully appreciate how it feels. I’m 32 with a lower income as well. Keep up the good work!
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

VAslim16 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:42 am Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post because I hit a mini milestone today. Checked my Vanguard account and my stock holdings were just over 100K. I know this is small for most people on here, but considering I started investing in March 2013 and don't make a huge salary (I'm a teacher) it's something I'm happy about. I will keep my overall portfolio at about 70/30 stock to bond and keep using VTI/VXUS at a 50/50 ratio. Really appreciate all your guys' help on here and hope the next milestone, 200K for the whole portfolio, occurs by summer 2K18.

Thanks again guys. Now I probably jinxed things and will be back under 100K in a few hours when the market opens.
Well done, Congrats!
:sharebeer
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Congratulations. Stick to your plan and don’t check the account balance too often. You’re doing great!
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Doubling your nest egg in 2 years is no small feat, huge congrats. Looking forward to your post at $300k!
LateStarter1975

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by LateStarter1975 »

Congratulations, stick to your goal!
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

After market close on Friday, hit an investable net worth of $4 million. That has long been our RE goal, but as with all things the goal post tends to move a bit.
Fire2030

Post by Fire2030 »

Hopeful wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:07 am After market close on Friday, hit an investable net worth of $4 million. That has long been our RE goal, but as with all things the goal post tends to move a bit.
Congratulations! We all are guilty of moving the goal posts but when the time comes you will know , enjoy :sharebeer
Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

Fire2030 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:39 pm
Hopeful wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:07 am After market close on Friday, hit an investable net worth of $4 million. That has long been our RE goal, but as with all things the goal post tends to move a bit.
Congratulations! We all are guilty of moving the goal posts but when the time comes you will know , enjoy :sharebeer
Thanks! The idea of retiring at the top of a bull market has certainly contributed to moving the goal posts.
Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 »

Don't forget,
The market can certainly go the other direction with no notice.
Jim
"Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow". Frank Zappa
AnesBH

Post by AnesBH »

I became a Boglehead in 2012 with ~$300k in pretax retirement but with ~$400k in debt. We just hit the $1.5 million mark in combined accounts, $600k additional net worth in home equity and are free from debt- all because I ran across you all, learned and listened. I turned 49 this year so we should be in good shape.

Thank you so much!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

AnesBH wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:17 am I became a Boglehead in 2012 with ~$300k in pretax retirement but with ~$400k in debt. We just hit the $1.5 million mark in combined accounts, $600k additional net worth in home equity and are free from debt- all because I ran across you all, learned and listened. I turned 49 this year so we should be in good shape.

Thank you so much!
Congratulations :D , that's an exceptional accomplishment in both investments and debt payoff. You are "in good shape".
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

Jimbo9911 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:54 am Don't forget,
The market can certainly go the other direction with no notice.
Jim
Can? More like it WILL, and it is never as much fun.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Hi,

Hooray!! My year-to-date portfolio growth plus contribution exceeded my gross household income.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

With the rise in the markets today, my investments have exceeded 500k. :sharebeer

For some perspective almost 3 years to the date I reached 250k invested.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:36 pm With the rise in the markets today, my investments have exceeded 500k. :sharebeer

Congrats. Back of napkin math, I believe ours went over $750k yesterday, so with home equity we are flirting with 2-comma status. 7yrs ago I was just finishing my PhD, recently divorced, and with less than 6-figures in assets (thanks primarily to divorce). I met a young woman who was a single mom; had left her drug-addict husband when she found out she was pregnant. She had recently been through a bankruptcy thanks to drug addict husband, had a 6-month old daughter, and was making ~$11hr and the only asset she had was an old Ford Crown Vic that she was underwater on. Yesterday we celebrated our 6th anniversary. Less than broke at 26, I can't wait to see what her face looks like when I tell her that she might now be a millionaire at 33.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm Hi,

Hooray!! My year-to-date portfolio growth plus contribution exceeded my gross household income.

KlangFool
Congrats! When I look at my own portfolio, I see the same!
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
student

Post by student »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:46 am
PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:36 pm With the rise in the markets today, my investments have exceeded 500k. :sharebeer

Congrats. Back of napkin math, I believe ours went over $750k yesterday, so with home equity we are flirting with 2-comma status. 7yrs ago I was just finishing my PhD, recently divorced, and with less than 6-figures in assets (thanks primarily to divorce). I met a young woman who was a single mom; had left her drug-addict husband when she found out she was pregnant. She had recently been through a bankruptcy thanks to drug addict husband, had a 6-month old daughter, and was making ~$11hr and the only asset she had was an old Ford Crown Vic that she was underwater on. Yesterday we celebrated our 6th anniversary. Less than broke at 26, I can't wait to see what her face looks like when I tell her that she might now be a millionaire at 33.
Congratulations. Does your wife have a better job now or does all the growth come from your job?
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Congratulations to everybody in here. These are some awesome milestones and you should all feel great about your financial accomplishments. It's nice that we have this forum and this thread to show off our hard work and dedication with like-minded people who understand. Thanksgiving dinner certainly wouldn't be the appropriate setting! :happy

Today our portfolio account balance is $785k, which is 5.25x gross income. Age 34. In looking at our balances this morning, the "wow" factor hit me for the first time in my life. At $500k, $600k, $700k and even $750k I never really felt that. It's finally beginning to feel like a lot of money.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

student wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 am

Congratulations. Does your wife have a better job now or does all the growth come from your job?
My wife now makes low 6-figures in IT security enterprise sales. While I've a little more than doubled my income since we met, she's more than quadrupled hers. She also had a grand total of 1 semester of college under her belt when we met, she will finish her BA winter '20, likely magna cum laude (currently 4.0). And she's now a mother of two.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 am

My wife now makes low 6-figures in IT security enterprise sales. While I've a little more than doubled my income since we met, she's more than quadrupled hers. She also had a grand total of 1 semester of college under her belt when we met, she will finish her BA winter '20, likely magna cum laude (currently 4.0). And she's now a mother of two.
What a great story, very inspirational!! :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 am

Awesome.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Dollarsign16 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:43 pm My ROTH IRA closed over $100K for the first time today :D (36 years old)

Though just a portion of our retirement assets, I think of it as my baby because I still remember the first $4K contribution I made over 14 years ago...

It's crazy to think how those small yearly contributions turned into a respectable amount.

:sharebeer to the next $100K!
Mine recently went over $30K for the 1st time after only three years of contributions. Amazing indeed. Thanks hedgefundie :).
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

goblue100 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:53 am

KlangFool
Funny how we play these games though. If you bump it back to the 1-year growth I’d wager it’s a much different picture. Even 2-year. Congrats nonetheless!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MotoTrojan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:49 pm

KlangFool
Funny how we play these games though. If you bump it back to the 1-year growth I’d wager it’s a much different picture. Even 2-year. Congrats nonetheless!
Age 74, retired, no pension, no annuity.

I don't usually do these calculations, but it is interesting.

Investment return year to date is over three times our withdrawals in the same time period.

Investment return over the last 12 months is over two times our withdrawals in the same time period.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 pm

KlangFool

Investment return year to date is over three times our withdrawals in the same time period.

Investment return over the last 12 months is over two times our withdrawals in the same time period.
Big difference but would be bigger if only looking at equity. Bonds sure have been on a steady ride UP.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MotoTrojan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:48 pm

KlangFool

Big difference but would be bigger if only looking at equity. Bonds sure have been on a steady ride UP.
I see no point to looking for only at stocks, rather than looking at the portfolio as a whole.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pm
MotoTrojan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:48 pm

I see no point to looking for only at stocks, rather than looking at the portfolio as a whole.
Agreed. I’m just (sort of) all stocks myself :).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Can I post a milestone? My 401(k) started in 1994 has reached 7-figures recently, but also our total portfolio of all accounts has popped over another very round and large number. That also means more charitable donations to come.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

livesoft wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:55 pm Can I post a milestone? My 401(k) started in 1994 has reached 7-figures recently, but also our total portfolio of all accounts has popped over another very round and large number. That also means more charitable donations to come.
Yes, you can post two milestones.

Congratulations twice :) :) .
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

livesoft wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:55 pm Can I post a milestone? My 401(k) started in 1994 has reached 7-figures recently, but also our total portfolio of all accounts has popped over another very round and large number. That also means more charitable donations to come.
:sharebeer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Congrats! :sharebeer
Since you're making more donations, let me send you my address! :)
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
student

Post by student »

Congratulations.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Thanks folks, these milestones are precarious enough that they might be passed going the other way. :)
6th Element

Post by 6th Element »

Wife and I crossed 2 comma club earlier this year just in investment (and retirement) positions not including home equity etc. I always appreciate the accomplishments I read about on this thread and have worked extremely hard at LBYM to get here. We are mid 40's and feel lucky to be in this position at this point.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

6th Element wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:27 pm Wife and I crossed 2 comma club earlier this year just in investment (and retirement) positions not including home equity etc. I always appreciate the accomplishments I read about on this thread and have worked extremely hard at LBYM to get here. We are mid 40's and feel lucky to be in this position at this point.
Congrats and welcome to the forum.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :) .

6th Element wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:27 pm Wife and I crossed 2 comma club earlier this year just in investment (and retirement) positions not including home equity etc. I always appreciate the accomplishments I read about on this thread and have worked extremely hard at LBYM to get here. We are mid 40's and feel lucky to be in this position at this point.
Congratulations on joining the 2 comma club.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Did you withdraw any money since 1994?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

flyingaway wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 am
Did you withdraw any money since 1994?
From my 401(k)? No. I made the max possible contributions for a non-self-employed person for 20 years, then in the past few years, I contributed about $4,000 a year from my self-employment income.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

We just passed a milestone: DW retired at the end of last month, and began drawing a pension. Life is good! :beer
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats! :beer

Since DW has a change in income for 2019, I suggest double-checking the income tax withheld using the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jimf

Post by jimf »

Passed $1,000,000 net worth last week!

That includes about $100k in home equity. Looking forward to my portfolio of index funds getting there on its own.

This is my first post on these forums, but I've been reading them for a long time. The past 10 years of growth have provided a nice tailwind. I wouldn't have taken appropriate advantage of it without the kind folks on here. Thank you!
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:46 am Congrats. Back of napkin math, I believe ours went over $750k yesterday, so with home equity we are flirting with 2-comma status. 7yrs ago I was just finishing my PhD, recently divorced, and with less than 6-figures in assets (thanks primarily to divorce). I met a young woman who was a single mom; had left her drug-addict husband when she found out she was pregnant. She had recently been through a bankruptcy thanks to drug addict husband, had a 6-month old daughter, and was making ~$11hr and the only asset she had was an old Ford Crown Vic that she was underwater on. Yesterday we celebrated our 6th anniversary. Less than broke at 26, I can't wait to see what her face looks like when I tell her that she might now be a millionaire at 33.
Yours and spouse story is always inspiring, stoptothink. What a difference a great life partner makes in one's life! When the professional success and peaceful life kicks in, financial success follows like avalanche.
May this thanksgiving be extra :sharebeer at your table!
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :) .
jimf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:25 pm Passed $1,000,000 net worth last week!

That includes about $100k in home equity. Looking forward to my portfolio of index funds getting there on its own.

This is my first post on these forums, but I've been reading them for a long time. The past 10 years of growth have provided a nice tailwind. I wouldn't have taken appropriate advantage of it without the kind folks on here. Thank you!
Congratulations on the 7 figure net worth.
Joeinfla

Post by Joeinfla »

First off, congratulations to everyone on their milestones! It’s great to hear them and be inspired!

Trying to achieve the first 100k before 2020!!! It’s going to be super close, but we’ll see. DW and I have always heard how hard the first 100k is, so definitely looking forward to checking that one off. Still have ~30 years for both our careers, and living debt free!

It is amazing the amount of opportunity and mental thinking capacity that is freed up when one is in control of their finances.

PS - Thank you to everyone on this forum for being an open book! Our financial lives/outlook has been dramatically changed from all the posts on here!
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op and all, hit 1.7 million first time ever, portfolio was considered flat and in red for 2019, now triple my annual salary 285K.

Congrats to all

retire2022
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

My Roth IRA hit $250k last month, and I'm 20 years away from retirement.

Combination of 15 years of investing, some minor conversions when in grad school and a couple of years of mega backdoor Roth contributions.

Unfortunately, new employer doesn't offer mega back door Roth.
cb122

Post by cb122 »

I'm nearing my two year anniversary for when I came to Bogleheads seeking advice. I had limited knowledge on investing so I asked for help to get me started in the right direction. Duckie, Grt2bOutdoors, and Sergeant all did a fantastic job helping me launch. The members of this forum are incredible and a lot of fun to learn from. Sincerely appreciative!

After establishing a solid foundation, I set a goal of increasing my investment portfolio by $100k in two years. So, I put my head down, worked, studied, adapted, learned, earned two promotions, and stayed focused. About three days ago, I hit my mark a month early by increasing my portfolio from ~$20k to ~$120k.

To celebrate, I'm going snowboarding in Colorado in January for the first time ever. Something I wasn't ever able to do growing up because our family didn't have the means.

Glad to have a community where it's okay to share financial milestones to help keep motivated!

Thank you Bogleheads for everything!
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

cb122 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:14 pm I'm nearing my two year anniversary for when I came to Bogleheads seeking advice. I had limited knowledge on investing so I asked for help to get me started in the right direction. Duckie, Grt2bOutdoors, and Sergeant all did a fantastic job helping me launch. The members of this forum are incredible and a lot of fun to learn from. Sincerely appreciative!

After establishing a solid foundation, I set a goal of increasing my investment portfolio by $100k in two years. So, I put my head down, worked, studied, adapted, learned, earned two promotions, and stayed focused. About three days ago, I hit my mark a month early by increasing my portfolio from ~$20k to ~$120k.

To celebrate, I'm going snowboarding in Colorado in January for the first time ever. Something I wasn't ever able to do growing up because our family didn't have the means.

Glad to have a community where it's okay to share financial milestones to help keep motivated!

Good for you buddy!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

cb122 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:14 pm I'm nearing my two year anniversary for when I came to Bogleheads seeking advice. I had limited knowledge on investing so I asked for help to get me started in the right direction. Duckie, Grt2bOutdoors, and Sergeant all did a fantastic job helping me launch. The members of this forum are incredible and a lot of fun to learn from. Sincerely appreciative!

Congratulations :) , that is an inspiring tale.

Go celebrate.