Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
techieguy

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by techieguy »

I opened up Personal Capital today and realized we hit a pretty big milestone. We achieved the two comma club. One million in invested assets. I’m 35 and have been investing since I was 18 in one form or another but I owe a lot to the forum. Thank You!

Anyways, that’s it. Now back to buying more shares!

Cheers!
luminous

Post by luminous »

Talfred wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:23 pm Like some others here, I have no one else to share this with, so I'll add my story to the thread. I reached 1.5M in net worth today at age 60, after getting a late start on savings. I left school without a degree and worked a series of service jobs, reaching age 35 with no savings and no health insurance. I refocused, took a job with a career path, and eventually finished college at night. Now I'm earning my highest salary yet and given my well-controlled spending, should be able to retire comfortably soon.
Congratulations!
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

techieguy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 pm I opened up Personal Capital today and realized we hit a pretty big milestone. We achieved the two comma club. One million in invested assets. I’m 35 and have been investing since I was 18 in one form or another but I owe a lot to the forum. Thank You!

Anyways, that’s it. Now back to buying more shares!

Cheers!
That’s great! Congratulations!

And keep on buying more shares.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
KESP

Joined the two comma club!

Post by KESP »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Reached it this weekend in our retirement accounts. I realize this celebration could be short lived, but it was nice to see nonetheless. This website has kept me on track, especially people like Taylor who is able to somehow get across a calm confidence to stay the course in his posts. Thank you all, and thanks for allowing this brag. Not something I can really do outside this forum! :beer
PennyWise7

Re: Joined the two comma club!

Post by PennyWise7 »

KESP wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:50 pm Reached it this weekend in our retirement accounts. I realize this celebration could be short lived, but it was nice to see nonetheless. This website has kept me on track, especially people like Taylor who is able to somehow get across a calm confidence to stay the course in his posts. Thank you all, and thanks for allowing this brag. Not something I can really do outside this forum! :beer
Awesome to hear! Congrats! Do you use the three fund portfolio? What is your allocation between taxable and IRA?
theorist

Post by theorist »

Congrats! Next stop 8 figures :-).
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

:beer
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged KESP's thread into the on-going discussion.

Congrats! :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
KESP

Post by KESP »

Penny wise, I use a 4 fund portfolio for my Vanguard account, and a 3 fund portfolio in my husband’s 401k. I also have some money in a 3% guaranteed income account at an old 403b that has no fees associated with it. As I explained in other posts, my husband has no interest in investing, and doesn’t operate a computer, I use PAS for my Vanguard IRA only so that if I go before him, he won’t be heading down to an Edward Jones office because he won’t know what to do. I’m counting on my kids to help out here.
Chicattle

Post by Chicattle »

Stinky wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:07 am
Chicattle wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 am Crossed 1.5M in net worth today. Didn't think it possible as a poor immigrant. I had to share with someone so finally joined BH after lurking for at least six years.

What a great gift having just turned 44 this month. I feel blessed! Thank you, BH. How I wish we met sooner.
Welcome to the Forum.

What a wonderful story! Congratulations on your achievement. Hitting $1.5 million at age 44 is a HUGE accomplishment, especially since you started from humble beginnings.

Thanks for posting your story. And please keep reading the Forum. You’ll get a wealth of great information, from some very smart and caring people.

Again, congratulations!
Thank you Stinky. I tell everyone who would listen about the wisdom of this forum and how I learned so much over the years. Next up, I hope to reach 2 commas in my insvestables before year's end.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

I was doing my month end accounting in my spreadsheet last night.

Apparently we just crossed over the threshold of $3M of investable assets. (excluding house/cars/land/personal property)

We have a goal of $3.5M for early retirement. I was anticipating hitting that around age 55. I am only 47 now. :mrgreen:

If the financial press is correct, we may hit this MUCH earlier than anticipated. :shock:
cdc

Post by cdc »

We eclipsed $2 million in retirement savings this week. Ages 59/55. Nothing fancy—just a decades-long slog. We’ve made our share of mistakes, but these have been outweighed by good luck, good fortune, and persistence. Cheers.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

cdc wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:07 pm We eclipsed $2 million in retirement savings this week. Ages 59/55. Nothing fancy—just a decades-long slog. We’ve made our share of mistakes, but these have been outweighed by good luck, good fortune, and persistence. Cheers.
That’s awesome! Congratulations to you on your accomplishments after all these years. It must feel very gratifying seeing that huge number....
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Crow Hunter wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 am I was doing my month end accounting in my spreadsheet last night.

Apparently we just crossed over the threshold of $3M of investable assets. (excluding house/cars/land/personal property)

We have a goal of $3.5M for early retirement. I was anticipating hitting that around age 55. I am only 47 now. :mrgreen:

If the financial press is correct, we may hit this MUCH earlier than anticipated. :shock:
That is just great!

Keep working and saving. That $3.5 million milestone may be just around the corner.....
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Crow Hunter wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 am I was doing my month end accounting in my spreadsheet last night.

Awesome! We are about the same age with about the same value. How does that stack up against a goal? I told spouse a couple years ago that if we hit 5 million I am not going to work the next day. I do have 4.5 as a goal when I punch out, followed by spouse a couple years later ( I am six years older and sort of plan to split the difference and have her go at 55)
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

KESP wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:50 pm [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Reached it this weekend in our retirement accounts. I realize this celebration could be short lived, but it was nice to see nonetheless. This website has kept me on track, especially people like Taylor who is able to somehow get across a calm confidence to stay the course in his posts. Thank you all, and thanks for allowing this brag. Not something I can really do outside this forum! :beer
Congrats! You probably will bounce back down a couple times, but keep at it and you will have it shored up nicely before long.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

cdc wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:07 pm We eclipsed $2 million in retirement savings this week. Ages 59/55. Nothing fancy—just a decades-long slog. We’ve made our share of mistakes, but these have been outweighed by good luck, good fortune, and persistence. Cheers.
Congratulations :D . "Nothing special", "decades-long slog", and "persistence" are lessons for all.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
dwade1109

After a decade of Bogleheading, broke 7 figures in assets!

Post by dwade1109 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Just wanted to celebrate :D

Incredible milestone for me...I could not believe it when I updated my spreadsheet this morning. Of course markets being up recently has helped so may slip below soon enough, but the progress has been slow and steady!
MikeG62

Re: After a decade of Bogleheading, broke 7 figures in assets!

Post by MikeG62 »

Congratulations. It's a big milestone - hopefully the first of many seven figure levels you will achieve.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

dwade1109 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 am Just wanted to celebrate :D

Incredible milestone for me...I could not believe it when I updated my spreadsheet this morning. Of course markets being up recently has helped so may slip below soon enough, but the progress has been slow and steady!
Congrats! Keep on keeping on with your plan. Here's to your next million! :beer
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow »

Nice job
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged dwade1109's thread into the ongoing discussion. The thread is in the US Chapters forum (community).

Congrats! :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
luminous

Post by luminous »

dwade1109 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 am [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Congratulations! Huge achievement, enjoy it.
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

dwade1109 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 am [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Congratulations :D
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

2001 - started working. Got laid off after 9/11. Took 6 months to get a job.

2002-2009: Lots of spending, lots of earnings. Wasn't serious about savings. Didn't fund a 401(k) , gambled with stocks and lost $$. Had a bond heavy portfolio. All stupid mistakes that got corrected by bogleheads once I found this forum in 2009.

2008 : Got laid off again. Another 6 months to get a job.

2009: 600k - Counted my portfolio for first time ever . Then did ** complete ** makeover to David Swensen portfolio
2010:750K
2011:1M
2013:1.2M
2014:1.3M
2015:1.5M
2016:1.6M - ** complete makeover to 2 fund portfolio **
2017:1.8M
2018:2.1M
2019:2.7M [market rose 30% ]
2020 - YTD:3.2M , Age : 43 [market rose 20% ]

Started with ZERO at the age of 22. Didn't have 2 nickels to rub together. No debt, No inheritance, no house appreciation, no FAANG stocks. Just simple old grinding away - DW and I - in mid-senior level jobs at Megacorps. Thankful for what I have. I have made my peace that I will never be Bill Gates, Warren Buffett , Elon Musk nor will ever hit any of the 8 figure portfolios posted here regularly. And I'm fine with it. All thanks to bogleheads. And a great country named the United States of America :sharebeer .

PS. Of course I wonder what happens when the Fed turns the taps off and liquidity dries up, but survived 9/11 and the Great recession of 2009. Hope with some luck will survive Covid-19. Thankful to every one of you who taught me so much.
V1RTUS

Post by V1RTUS »

Just received a promotion with a significant raise and am joining the 6-figure income club.

Wife and I (30 and 32) also crossed $300k net worth last month.
"I will do today what others won't, so that I can do tomorrow what others can't."
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:05 pm 2001 - started working. Got laid off after 9/11. Took 6 months to get a job.

2002-2009: Lots of spending, lots of earnings. Wasn't serious about savings. Didn't fund a 401(k) , gambled with stocks and lost $$. Had a bond heavy portfolio. All stupid mistakes that got corrected by bogleheads once I found this forum in 2009.

2009: 600k - Counted my portfolio for first time ever . Then did ** complete ** makeover to David Swensen portfolio

Started with ZERO at the age of 22. Didn't have 2 nickels to rub together. No debt, No inheritance, no house appreciation, no FAANG stocks. Just simple old grinding away - DW and I - in mid-senior level jobs at Megacorps. Thankful for what I have. I have made my peace that I will never be Bill Gates, Warren Buffett , Elon Musk nor will ever hit any of the 8 figure portfolios posted here regularly. And I'm fine with it. All thanks to bogleheads. And a great country named the United States of America :sharebeer .

PS. Of course I wonder what happens when the Fed turns the taps off and liquidity dries up, but survived 9/11 and the Great recession of 2009. Hope with some luck will survive Covid-19. Thankful to every one of you who taught me so much.
Wow! You’ve gone from $600k to $3.2 million in just over a decade. Impressive!

And you’re only 43 years old. Great things lie ahead of you! Just keep investing and learning.

Congratulations.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

What a weird year.

Despite the rollercoaster of events, I was surprised to see our equities portfolio appreciation surpassed our combined w2 incomes for the first time.

W2 income including 401k HSA etc is about 450k
Contributions to accounts 100k
Portfolio returns since 1/1/20 is 470k
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

V1RTUS wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 pm Just received a promotion with a significant raise and am joining the 6-figure income club.

Congratulations! I remember breaking into the six figure club a few years back. It is pretty surreal when you look back at where you started.
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

Thanks but for a perspective VTSAX went up 6x (17 --> 93 + dividends another 30% ) . So actually I did much worse than VTSAX. This was due to my stupid stubbornness of sticking to the Swensen model - REIT, International, Emerging market funds - all of which underperformed for years and years. C'est la vie. So I did nothing special. In fact I underperformed VTSAX - by a lot :oops:
Stinky wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:24 pm
Wow! You’ve gone from $600k to $3.2 million in just over a decade. Impressive!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

V1RTUS wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 pm Just received a promotion with a significant raise and am joining the 6-figure income club.

That's amazing good news! Congrats
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:05 pm 2001 - started working. Got laid off after 9/11. Took 6 months to get a job.

Well done sir! I would argue you have a solid chance to build that NW to 8 figures if you desire.
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

It is a small milestone, but I maxed my Roth IRA and workplace 403b for the first time this year. 1st year out of grad school on a postdoc, 30 years old. We're pretty much 90/10, with a newish 20% allocation to international equities.
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

Normchad wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:46 pm

That's amazing good news! Congrats
Congratulations!! And to do it all during the pandemic, that's most excellent.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

achillesheel wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:07 pm It is a small milestone, but I maxed my Roth IRA and workplace 403b for the first time this year. 1st year out of grad school on a postdoc, 30 years old. We're pretty much 90/10, with a newish 20% allocation to international equities.
Congratulations :) .

That is more than a "small milestone".
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

achillesheel wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:07 pm It is a small milestone, but I maxed my Roth IRA and workplace 403b for the first time this year. 1st year out of grad school on a postdoc, 30 years old. We're pretty much 90/10, with a newish 20% allocation to international equities.
That is truly a big deal!

Congratulations.
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

Stinky wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:35 pm
That is truly a big deal!

Congratulations.
Thank you Stinky! I am grateful to have a job in these tough times. And to have a wife who knows how to stretch a dollar. :D
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:26 pm
Congratulations :) .

That is more than a "small milestone".
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words, and you are right: for us it is a BIG milestone!
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

Just passed a milestone today! $1.4M networth and $1M investments (pre-tax, post-tax, 401k, and 529).

DW (38) and myself (36) are very proud but realize this is just the beginning. Look forward to the day that we no longer worry about money or saving!
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

Bb073084 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:44 pm Just passed a milestone today! $1.4M networth and $1M investments (pre-tax, post-tax, 401k, and 529).

DW (38) and myself (36) are very proud but realize this is just the beginning. Look forward to the day that we no longer worry about money or saving!
Congrats! When did you join the 2 comma club originally?
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

PhillyPhan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:48 pm
Bb073084 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:44 pm Just passed a milestone today! $1.4M networth and $1M investments (pre-tax, post-tax, 401k, and 529).

We joined around early 2019 originally from a net worth perspective.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

PhillyPhan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Congratulations on reaching the two comma club in investments :) .
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

Silverado wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Awesome! We are about the same age with about the same value. How does that stack up against a goal? I told spouse a couple years ago that if we hit 5 million I am not going to work the next day. I do have 4.5 as a goal when I punch out, followed by spouse a couple years later ( I am six years older and sort of plan to split the difference and have her go at 55)
:sharebeer
Congrats to both of you! My wife and I are also similar. Just did our financial statement for the year, and found that we crossed $3M in investable assets and $5M in net worth this year, and are now comfortably to the point where no more (wage) income is needed to sustain our current level of spending (especially with eventual SS, even at 75% of predicted). Faster than expected for us as well. We're around 50, and plan to work a few more years to increase the cushion and ability to spend in retirement.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

With the rise in the markets today, my wife and I have joined the 2 comma club!

It feels great to cross this milestone after chipping away at it for the last 15 years individually and 3+ years as a married couple.

It is not lost on me how fortunate I have been to have benefited from the long bull market run and steady employment.

Excited to continue our journey while soaking in all that life has to offer. Thank you to all who have provided guidance and advise along the way. I truly believe this site is a game changer and wish my high school teachers and college professors would have referenced it.

Cheers! :sharebeer
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

PhillyPhan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:34 pm With the rise in the markets today, my wife and I have joined the 2 comma club!

It feels great to cross this milestone after chipping away at it for the last 15 years individually and 3+ years as a married couple.

It is not lost on me how fortunate I have been to have benefited from the long bull market run and steady employment.

Excited to continue our journey while soaking in all that life has to offer. Thank you to all who have provided guidance and advise along the way. I truly believe this site is a game changer and wish my high school teachers and college professors would have referenced it.

Cheers! :sharebeer
Excellent, excellent, excellent!

Congratulations! And glad that you found this site!
RotzehMasayim

Re: 500K MILESTONE :)

Post by RotzehMasayim »

Hit 550k this week! :moneybag

Happy about the quick rise from 500k -> 550k (My TSLA position is helping that out...)

The market has been much better than I expected after the election.
RotzehMasayim wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:30 pm Today I hit the 500k Milestone! :sharebeer :moneybag :moneybag

I am single and 35yo living in HCOL city

Most of this is due to the tremendous rise in the market over the past few months and there may very likely be some regression so I may very likely dip back below this in the short term but I am still pretty happy with hitting this milestone.

I also have to admit that I do have a Robinhood account that I invested approx $20k and is now at $85k with very un-boglehead positions but this was my fun money investments and I only risked a very small portion of total assets and was what I was "willing to lose".
  • TSLA 18 shares bought at $196. Currently at $2247 for 1,045% gain (+$36.9k)
  • AMZN 5 shares bought at $1645. Currently at $3405 for 107% gain (+$8.8k)
  • TGT 39 shares bought at $58.33. Currently at $150 for 157% gain (+$3.6k)
  • NVDA 10 shares bought @ $185.08. Currently @ $503 for 172% gain (+$3.1k)
  • AAPL 25 shares bought @ $142.50. Currently @ $500 for 249% gain (+$8.9k)
  • BABA 9 shares bought @ $188.47. Currently @ $283.90 for 50% gain (+$850)
  • BCS 255 shares bought @ $7.80 . Currently @ $5.78 for 25% loss (-$515)

Net worth Progression since I started working in December 2012:
12/2013 - 104K NW
12/2014 - 123K NW
12/2015 - 162K NW
12/2016 - 199K NW
12/2017 - 270K NW
12/2018 - 295K NW
12/2019 - 396K NW
2/21/2020 - 421K NW - High Point Pre- COVID19
3/21/2020 - 333K NW - Approx COVID19 Low Point
8/27/2020 - 501K NW

Graph of Net worth from Quicken since I am 13 years old in 1998:
ruralavalon

Re: 500K MILESTONE :)

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations on hitting .55 million in investments :) .
RotzehMasayim wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:41 pm Hit 550k this week! :moneybag

Happy about the quick rise from 500k -> 550k (My TSLA position is helping that out...)

The market has been much better than I expected after the election.
Expectations about market performance are very often wrong.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

hit 700k sometime this week.

was at about 430k beginning of year, 360k at the lows in March. Most of gains were combination of call options on SPX/SPY, maxed 401k, megabackdoor roth, company match, and whatever left over i put in taxable account.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Household income just hit $800k

Stock-based compensation is really something else...
Mathew675

Post by Mathew675 »

First I wanted to thank this forum for all of the great info I’ve been able to internalize over the years. I finally hit a pretty big milestone of 25x annual spending invested. I actually hit it a while ago but just realized today! Based on earlier research this was the gold standard and even though I’m more cautious today than my original goals, it feels pretty good to hit one of my first long term goals as an investor from so many years ago. Thanks everyone!