Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Investing.Newbie

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Investing.Newbie »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm Just looked $991,000.00 Very close to 1 million. I will definitely go out to dinner when I see it, even though it's just a number, that was the one I always wanted to reach. Also, have a paid off house. On track. 56 and would like to leave work by 61. Congratulations to all!
Congrats :sharebeer you should hit your mark any time now :)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:25 pm My wife & I (41/40) reached the two comma club today ! This would not have been possible without the valuable knowledge I gained from this forum. A very big thank you to all you outstanding folks ! This is the only place I'm sharing my news. Thanks you once again !
FBanks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:32 pm I hit over a million today! This was big for me because it’s all from my investment accounts and 50% of the house minus mortgage. My husband and I are well over $2m combined, but it was really important for me to hit this milestone in my own accounts. Can’t tell anyone in my real life. Happy to share it here. Especially sweet because I’m 37 and I wanted to hit it before my 38th bday in a few months. :D

FYI $917,000 w/o home equity. Next goal is $1M stock portfolio, which I should hit after I receive my bonus early next year.
Congratulations to both of you :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 am
Investing.Newbie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:25 pm My wife & I (41/40) reached the two comma club today ! This would not have been possible without the valuable knowledge I gained from this forum. A very big thank you to all you outstanding folks ! This is the only place I'm sharing my news. Thanks you once again !
FBanks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:32 pm I hit over a million today! This was big for me because it’s all from my investment accounts and 50% of the house minus mortgage. My husband and I are well over $2m combined, but it was really important for me to hit this milestone in my own accounts. Can’t tell anyone in my real life. Happy to share it here. Especially sweet because I’m 37 and I wanted to hit it before my 38th bday in a few months. :D

FYI $917,000 w/o home equity. Next goal is $1M stock portfolio, which I should hit after I receive my bonus early next year.
Congratulations to both of you :D .

Congrats to everyone who made the 2 comma club! When I see the market reach new highs I think of this board and am truly happy for all of those who it pushes over the big milestone!! :sharebeer
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

On 09/26/2020 I reached 100k NW. I haven't dipped below it yet, somehow. I know that's pitiful to the majority of the posters here, but it was a significant milestone for me, and I'm quite proud of the progress.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Everyone's situation is different and this isn't a competition. Don't worry about the others. It's the start of the weekend. Celebrate! :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Cranberry44 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:45 pm On 09/26/2020 I reached 100k NW. I haven't dipped below it yet, somehow. I know that's pitiful to the majority of the posters here, but it was a significant milestone for me, and I'm quite proud of the progress.
Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 »

Cranberry44 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:45 pm On 09/26/2020 I reached 100k NW. I haven't dipped below it yet, somehow. I know that's pitiful to the majority of the posters here, but it was a significant milestone for me, and I'm quite proud of the progress.
I don't know a lot of people but almost all of them assuredly do not have NWs north of $100k. You should be quite proud.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Congratulations! :sharebeer
The journey to financial freedom begins with the first step. You’ve taken that and more....just keep doing whatever it is you are doing because as you see, it’s working!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

Congrats :sharebeer you should be proud to hit this milestone. Remember to ignore the noise & follow the boglehead investment philosophy !
Congrats once again :D
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 pm Congratulations :D .
jaj2276 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:36 pm I don't know a lot of people but almost all of them assuredly do not have NWs north of $100k. You should be quite proud.
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:45 pm Congratulations! :sharebeer
The journey to financial freedom begins with the first step. You’ve taken that and more....just keep doing whatever it is you are doing because as you see, it’s working!
Investing.Newbie wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:15 pm Congrats :sharebeer you should be proud to hit this milestone. Remember to ignore the noise & follow the boglehead investment philosophy !
Congrats once again :D
Thanks, all. I appreciate the encouragement and reminders to stay the course and "ignore the noise." Improving my financial literacy (thanks to this board and the helpful posters) and developing a plan that I understand and am comfortable with has been invaluable.

Onward and Upward :sharebeer
Think

Post by Think »

You should be proud of your accomplishment. I often wonder what "clicks" in a persons head to make them want to be a thoughtful investor. I was lucky. I worked with crusty bankers that imparted hard core financial discipline on me in my 20's. For some reason, it just clicked in me to be a thoughtful saver and investor. The odd thing is I just enjoy the composition of well thought out asset allocation strategy along with all the tricks of the trade that help turbo your portfolio (e.g., HSA account for long range triple tax advantaged retirement planning, back-door Roth IRAs for my wife, 529s for kiddos, and max 401k and Roth 401ks at work. Yes, like a lot of prodigious savers / thoughtful investors, you will get to a place where you work because you like it (not because you have to do it - and this is really true). I just like the "process" - I know that sounds incredibly boring, but, I'm pretty certain it was the secret sauce for me......simply put, enjoying the composition of the investing process, investing to invest rather than investing to spend. I have a default statement in my head which I'm pretty certain got me to multiples over the HNWI minimum by 50 y.o......"I would pay not to have that product/service." Yeah, it's a spin on Marie Kondo; however, if you only buy things that give you true joy, you won't be buying a ton of things.

Oh, if we all don't think the marketing gurus can't figure out how to pitch things effectively, I have one example....."new car smell" So, the geniuses at Madison Ave convinced virtually every one I know that a toxic outgassing of chemicals is very desired. I got to think it's the same people who invented all these other less than thoughtful items....like pod detergent cleaners (ask the parents who kids ate them by mistake), Swiffers, and pretty much all scented products...I can't understand why people think Tide smells good, or scented garbage bags smell nice....they are sickening to me and I don't have allergies...and they are more expensive. Oh well.
SpaghettiMonster

Post by SpaghettiMonster »

We paid off my student loans! We had a fair amount of cash sitting idle in a savings account set aside for a major home repair. The repair has not happened and looks like it may not happen for a while. With the falling online savings account interest rates, we decided to take some of that cash and pay off my loans. We’ll just cash flow any shortfall on the home repair whenever it happens. Now we can say that we are debt free!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That's great news! Yes, it's a very good feeling to be debt free. :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

SpaghettiMonster wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:46 pm We paid off my student loans! We had a fair amount of cash sitting idle in a savings account set aside for a major home repair. The repair has not happened and looks like it may not happen for a while. With the falling online savings account interest rates, we decided to take some of that cash and pay off my loans. We’ll just cash flow any shortfall on the home repair whenever it happens. Now we can say that we are debt free!
Congratulations on paying off the student debt, and becoming debt free :)
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

supersharpie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am Wife and I hit 600k in our retirement funds on Friday. Goal has been 1M by 40. I'm 36, she is 35. We shall see.
Hit 700k yesterday!
kayakprof

Post by kayakprof »

Thanks to regularly reading Bogleheads, our goals have shifted quite a bit over time. This year we paid off DW's student loan and our car loan. Woohoo! Felt good. We also saved up 6 months in our EF. That made us feel a bit safter. Just yesterday we (nervously) took the plunge to contribute 20% to our 403b next year. I hope we can make our monthly bills with that contribution! Goal for 2022, find the $$ and gumption to max out the 403b. Maybe maxing our Roths will follow.
awg90

Post by awg90 »

Just crossed 400k in retirement/taxable funds/cash. About to turn 30 years old. Next goal: 500k. Earlier this year I thought I may have lost motivation to keep my savings rate up, but I’m continuing to chug along so far. :?
Workinprogress

So excited about reaching personal milestone and no one that I can tell.

Post by Workinprogress »

[Merged into the existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

This is not meant as bragging, especially on a forum where so many are well beyond my achievements.

2020 will be a year of many milestones for me. Three of the financial ones are;

I am still in my 59th year and just today broke over 1 million in my retirement savings accounts.

This is the first year that I am projected to barely break over 100K of income.

Lastly we only have about 14K left on our mortgage for a home worth well more than I ever thought possible. Considering just paying it off eight months early in this 2020 year.

If you had asked me ten years ago if either of the first two were a remote possibility, I would have answered in the negative.

And one more that is remotely financial. In the last twelve months I have lost 40 pounds, getting back to 155, less than my HS weight, with more muscle than I have had since USMC boot camp. All in hopes of living healthy/long enough to actually spend some of this money on more fun adventures.

Life is really grand for me at the moment.

Thanks for giving me a safe forum to share my good fortunes.
White Oak

Re: So excited about reaching personal milestone and no one that I can tell.

Post by White Oak »

Sounds like you are firing on all cylinders! Great work all around!
CeeKay1729

Post by CeeKay1729 »

That is quite an accomplishment given your income. Congrats!
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

Enjoy! Good job and you have had good luck too!

Consider donating to a nice charity too -- https://www.thelifeyoucansave.org/
furikake

Post by furikake »

Congrats!!! :sharebeer
bampf

Post by bampf »

Well done! Well done indeed. These things matter and I congratulate you. Well done I say!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Congratulations! You're awesome.

For me, hitting the early milestones were the hardest. The habits you've started forming to get where you are now, will serve you very well in the future, and you will have many more great milestones to come!
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Congratulations!
First off - thank you for you service to our country on this Veterans Day!

DW and I were about the same age as you when we hit that mark. We live in a LCOL area, with lower incomes then on the east and west coast, but also much lower living expenses. I believe it is much harder to hit the million dollar mark in a LCOL area. When I was younger, I never really believed that would be possible. Keep up the great work!

Brad
luminous

Post by luminous »

Fantastic achievements, all! Health, wealth, and it sounds like a good dose of happiness. Cheers!
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.
amitb00

Post by amitb00 »

Congratulations! Well done.
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

Excellent! Well done!

There are only two very close friends I share finance info with but no major details, so I know the feeling! Can't brag to anyone!

Bravo!
avidlearner

Post by avidlearner »

Congrats and well done on both health and finances!!

Sounds like you are having a great year besides the pandemic and election chaos :sharebeer
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Congratulations!!

I'm a lot like you. I wish I had some friends/family that I could celebrate milestones like this. This forum will do. :sharebeer
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Normchad wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:32 pm Congratulations! You're awesome.

For me, hitting the milestones were the hardest. The habits you've started forming to get where you are now, will serve you very well in the future, and you will have many more great milestones to come!
IMhooked

Post by IMhooked »

So exciting!! You've got some great habits and momentum behind that success. What if this is all just the beginning!!??

Keep sharing!
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

Congrats!!!
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Congratulations! Amazing achievements!
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Congrats!!
Create18

Post by Create18 »

Excellent! Enjoy
matti

Post by matti »

Awesome, congratulations!
HuckFinn

Post by HuckFinn »

Congratulations!
I used to share similar milestones with my Dad before he passed and I may have shared one or two here since.
Awesome x 3 + 1 !!!
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Workinprogress wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 pm .....
And one more that is remotely financial. In the last twelve months I have lost 40 pounds, getting back to 155, less than my HS weight, with more muscle than I have had since USMC boot camp. All in hopes of living healthy/long enough to actually spend some of this money on more fun adventures.
The 3 financial ones were great. But the weight loss & muscle increase are really impressive in my opinion. How did you do it?
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

Congratulations!
You're not alone when you say that no one that you can tell. I came to share sheepishly on this forum years ago when I could not tell anyone either :)
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
dru808

Post by dru808 »

🥳, nice :sharebeer
65% US equity | 25% ex US equity | 10% US long bond index
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Congrats! Especially on the health related milestones...the most important.
Buy Low, Sell High
Workinprogress

Post by Workinprogress »

White Oak wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 pm Sounds like you are firing on all cylinders! Great work all around!
Very prophetic, am a Mechanic by trade. :happy
calvin111

Post by calvin111 »

Congratulations ! Feel good and enjoy your future years
joetrader

Post by joetrader »

Great work, kid!
Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX »

Great job!

Congratulations.
Workinprogress

Post by Workinprogress »

JoinToday wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:15 pm
The 3 financial ones were great. But the weight loss & muscle increase are really impressive in my opinion. How did you do it?
A lot of these only work for a physical laborer, that sweats at work already ;-)
Diminished my caloric intake to be less than what I burned.
Started off walking hard for my 30 minute lunch. Then started weight bearing arm exercise while I walked. Try it, it kills your stride rhythm.
Arm exercises while walking with tools or parts around the shop during work.
Choosing a more strenuous method of completing tasks both at home and work. Think curling parts vs a cart.
Now I have added riding my bike 35 minutes hard to and from work.

The results have been more than physical, my mental health has improved as well. Probably one of the best effects of the journey.
CaptainMMW

Post by CaptainMMW »

Congrats! Incredible accomplishments! Reading this really made my day.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Workinprogress congratulations on all of your accomplishments. Job well done! I wanted to pass along a tip that may help pay off your mortgage even earlier if you have an Emergency Fund that's based on 3 to 6 months of expenses. As I was about 6 months away from paying off our mortgage early, I realized our Emergency Fund included money that would have been allocated to make mortgage payments in case of job loss. However, once the mortgage would be paid off, the size of our Emergency Fund did not need to be as large because there would no longer be a mortgage to worry about. Therefore, I was able to take the money in our Emergency Fund that would have been allocated to pay our mortgage for 6 months and apply it to now help pay the mortgage off even earlier. When all was said and done, the mortgage was paid off sooner and we still had an Emergency Fund that included 6 months of expenses. Hope this helps.
:sharebeer
Last edited by peetsperk on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Workinprogress wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 am
JoinToday wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:15 pm
A lot of these only work for a physical laborer, that sweats at work already ;-)
Diminished my caloric intake to be less than what I burned.
Started off walking hard for my 30 minute lunch. Then started weight bearing arm exercise while I walked. Try it, it kills your stride rhythm.
Arm exercises while walking with tools or parts around the shop during work.
Choosing a more strenuous method of completing tasks both at home and work. Think curling parts vs a cart.
Now I have added riding my bike 35 minutes hard to and from work.

The results have been more than physical, my mental health has improved as well. Probably one of the best effects of the journey.
Congrats, your accomplishment is impressive; something to really be proud of.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago