Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Hawaiishrimp

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

retire2022 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 pm
Hawaiishrimp wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:26 am
GOOD LUCK, mate!!! :sharebeer :moneybag
I did it 2 million portfolio today! Broke the barrier!

I joined the 2 M club!
Congrats!!! This is another major milestone!
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Hawaiishrimp wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:36 pm
retire2022 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 pm I did it 2 million portfolio today! Broke the barrier!

I joined the 2 M club!
Thanks, unfortunately lost 7.68% of its value with most recent pullback, due to Softbank on tech, back to 1.871 million as of 9/11/2020 :(
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

I paid off the 4.5% $191,000 mortgage on our second home today which had 27.5 years remaining. I considered a refi but this payoff feels SO MUCH BETTER. I can also now cancel the unnecessary flood insurance the mortgage company required saving at least another $1k per year.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

beernutz wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:56 pm I paid off the 4.5% $191,000 mortgage on our second home today which had 27.5 years remaining. I considered a refi but this payoff feels SO MUCH BETTER. I can also now cancel the unnecessary flood insurance the mortgage company required saving at least another $1k per year.
But is the area flood-prone? It might be better to keep the insurance.

Congratulations on paying off the mortgage :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:03 pm
beernutz wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:56 pm I paid off the 4.5% $191,000 mortgage on our second home today which had 27.5 years remaining. I considered a refi but this payoff feels SO MUCH BETTER. I can also now cancel the unnecessary flood insurance the mortgage company required saving at least another $1k per year.
But is the area flood-prone? It might be better to keep the insurance.

The property was built in 1975 and has survived several hurricanes. A flood that damaged it would be biblical in proportion. In any case I'm about to find out first hand as Hurricane Sally is tracking almost directly over the property.

Thanks.

EDIT: A cat 2 hurricane came ashore about 30 miles east of my property and we suffered no flood damage to the house or my boat which I left on the lift so I think I'm ok dropping the flood insurance.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I have no one else to share this with other than this forum. We paid off our 2.75% mortgage this week. Actually, it looks like we overpaid and the mortgage company owes us $45 which they said will send to use in the next few weeks. Why can't I charge them 2.75% interest...lol.

We are in our mid 40s and paid it off 7 years early. We pushed for the payoff once we hit 25x expenses in investments.

The only debt we have left is a $75k 1.5% school loan. Not sure if we should push through this one as well or pay the bare minimum which will take another 12 years for it to go away.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:46 am I have no one else to share this with other than this forum. We paid off our 2.75% mortgage this week. Actually, it looks like we overpaid and the mortgage company owes us $45 which they said will send to use in the next few weeks. Why can't I charge them 2.75% interest...lol.

We are in our mid 40s and paid it off 7 years early. We pushed for the payoff once we hit 25x expenses in investments.

The only debt we have left is a $75k 1.5% school loan. Not sure if we should push through this one as well or pay the bare minimum which will take another 12 years for it to go away.
Congrats. We did the same in May. It still hasn't really hit us because I immediately scheduled to have our normal mortgage payment sent to Vanguard to buy VTSAX instead.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:59 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:46 am I have no one else to share this with other than this forum. We paid off our 2.75% mortgage this week. Actually, it looks like we overpaid and the mortgage company owes us $45 which they said will send to use in the next few weeks. Why can't I charge them 2.75% interest...lol.

Congrats. We did the same in May. It still hasn't really hit us because I immediately scheduled to have our normal mortgage payment sent to Vanguard to buy VTSAX instead.
I run my expense report once a quarter just to see how on track we are with our predicted expenses. I think when I start doing next year's reports I will start noticing the difference.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Also congratulations on having "25x expenses in investments" :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
chuckb84

Two comma club :)

Post by chuckb84 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

We're in the two comma club. It's been an interesting journey, something like this:

31 years working as a Fed, a scientist at a .gov lab and then a grant manager at the National Science Foundation. From day one (age 29), I put in my 5% TSP contribution to get the .gov match. With two kids to raise in a very HCOL area, we struggled, but I did get that up to 7%, and there it stayed, as we had mortgages, car payments and savings for college to manage. I was stupidly in all government bonds, the G fund, for the first 5 years or so, but then I read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" and finally started a balanced, if still way too conservative portfolio.

I correctly timed the market twice, calling the .com bubble almost perfectly, and the housing bubble, again with really good timing. BUT, my timing getting back into stocks was really bad, and we missed a lot of gains. We still came out ahead on those two moves, but by much less than I imagined at the time, when I avoided "all those losses".

That cured me of market timing, and in the covid crash I did nothing, except follow our IPS with our 3 fund 60/40 portfolio and 5% rebalance bands.

We took SS at 62, and no regrets about that. If we gave up some money, then we also got to start retirement early, at 61 and 60.

Our withdrawals from the TSP (later rolled over to Vanguard) kept our 401K balance roughly constant for the past 5 years, near two comma territory.

We just inherited from my parents, which put us over the 2 comma mark, and it's bittersweet. I miss them terribly, and I respect them immensely. They were depression kids and really earned the sobriquet "the greatest generation". They got to the 2 comma club on their own, just hard work and persistence and living below their means.

I could have managed our finances better, but the takeaway is that I did NOT manage it perfectly, or even particularly well, and still, here we are. Why did it work out?

1. Lucky with my parents, my upbringing, the values they instilled, including hard work, fair play and a very strong emphasis on education. And, of course, lucky that they passed money on to us.

2. Lucky with DW (44 years now!), who is the perfect complement to me, and she had the same type of upbringing from the same type of parents.

3. Consistency and persistence. For 31 years the TSP contribution was budgeted FIRST. The AA over the years was not even close to optimal, but it turned out to be good enough.

4. Lived below our means. I didn't do a great job on this one, but avoided many frivolous stupidities, while also indulging in a few :(.

4. Ignoring the noise and all the "advice". I only found Bogleheads about 6 years ago, but long before that, after reading Malkiel, I had decided to follow his recommendations, set up a sensible low cost TSP portfolio and just ignore the noise.

So, that's it. At this point SS and pension cover all our essential expenses.

The long term goal now is to have fun in retirement with the discretionary income from our investments, but also to do for our two daughters what our parents did for us.
Broken Man 1999

Re: Two comma club :)

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Congrats!

I don't think one needs to make the best choices, always; just don't make the worse choices. And, time can soften even bad choices. Me, I know this, well! :oops:

So, most of us muddle along, and do fine even making sub-optimal choices here and there.

I think sometimes people think they can tightly control life. Apparently some elements of my life have been far too unruly to tame. So, I'm pretty humble about such matters. I totally get what Mike Tyson means when he said, "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your story..........it is very inspiring with lot of wise words/advice!!
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Congratulations! The living within or below your means part is huge. Now you can enjoy the rewards!
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

It's wonderful to read something like this - both the good and the bad. It's so helpful to share in someone else's experience in this way and to translate their successes (and mistakes) into one's own framework. Thank you for sharing so honestly and directly.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged chuckb84's thread into the on-going discussion. Congrats!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

chuckb84 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:26 pm [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

We're in the two comma club. It's been an interesting journey, something like this:

. . . . .

I could have managed our finances better, but the takeaway is that I did NOT manage it perfectly, or even particularly well, and still, here we are. Why did it work out?

. . . . .

Congratulations :)

You do not need perfection, you just need to do a few things right and avoid big mistakes.
madtryx44

Post by madtryx44 »

Male, Married, 1 child (38/39/1 y/o), VHCOL

Exceeded 2mm in investments and home equity this morning while tabulating quarterly data. NW as percentage: 48.52% tax-advantaged, 30.08% taxable, 21.4% home equity. All self-built (ie no inheritance). Hoping to exceed this threshold in investments only in next 2-3 years. The power of compounding is starting to be noticeable - thank you Bogleheads! :sharebeer
grettman

Post by grettman »

49 yrs old here. Married. 2 Kids (16 and 14).

Received a small windfall and paid off my mortgage yesterday. I have been chipping away at it with double payments for the last 5 yrs.

A couple of months ago I hit the $2 M N.W. mark (excluding home equity).

So this is a combo milestone post: $2 M + paid for house.

Thanks to all who contribute to this site. I have enjoyed the healthy debates about paying off low interest mortgages (mine was 3.5%). In the end, it came down to emotion. I have around 90% in equities and felt that this was the right thing to do with the extra funds.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Congratulations! :sharebeer Now don’t forget to remove the mortgage company from your home insurance if they are listed as interested parties and in a couple of weeks ensure the lien on your home has been stricken from the record books of your local town/county government.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

I was happy to tell my wife this morning that our net worth had joined the two comma club, and asked her if she thought she would be a millionaire at this age. She responded "No, but what is the number if we don't count our home equity or retirement accounts?" (She has always told me that she doesn't view either of these as real assets). Well, I guess we have more milestones to look forward to.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

HootingSloth wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am I was happy to tell my wife this morning that our net worth had joined the two comma club, and asked her if she thought she would be a millionaire at this age. She responded "No, but what is the number if we don't count our home equity or retirement accounts?" (She has always told me that she doesn't view either of these as real assets). Well, I guess we have more milestones to look forward to.
Congratulations :) .
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

HootingSloth wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am I was happy to tell my wife this morning that our net worth had joined the two comma club, and asked her if she thought she would be a millionaire at this age. She responded "No, but what is the number if we don't count our home equity or retirement accounts?" (She has always told me that she doesn't view either of these as real assets). Well, I guess we have more milestones to look forward to.
Tough crowd lol
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

BV3273 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:50 pm
Tough crowd lol
No doubt. After all the "do you include home equity in net worth" discussion on Bogleheads, this really raises the bar.

My net worth just took a big hit... :beer
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

Congrats! We paid ours off earlier this year in July. The first time I did our monthly bills without having to pay mortgage or rent for the first time in more than 40 years felt sooooo good!

Funny, the amount in our payoff letter included a $60 charge for "documents"... but after we sent it our payment it showed up as a credit to our account. A month after the payoff they sent us a check for the $60 saying it was an "overpayment"... no complaints here. :happy
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Debt this month is decreasing to the next level. Onwards and downwards for debt!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

nguy44 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:22 am

Congrats! We paid ours off earlier this year in July. The first time I did our monthly bills without having to pay mortgage or rent for the first time in more than 40 years felt sooooo good!

Funny, the amount in our payoff letter included a $60 charge for "documents"... but after we sent it our payment it showed up as a credit to our account. A month after the payoff they sent us a check for the $60 saying it was an "overpayment"... no complaints here. :happy
Congrats. Our first day that we don’t owe mortgage is Oct 15th. I think we will really notice it when we do our quarterly expense review.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:23 am Debt this month is decreasing to the next level. Onwards and downwards for debt!
Congrats. Maybe you can afford to get your transmission fixed so that your truck can go forward again. Lol

Seriously though congrats taking it to the next level.
zie

Post by zie »

I just made it to the 1 comma club in my investment account(s)! (yes, just over $10,000)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:44 am
abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:23 am Debt this month is decreasing to the next level. Onwards and downwards for debt!
Congrats. Maybe you can afford to get your transmission fixed so that your truck can go forward again. Lol

Seriously though congrats taking it to the next level.
Appreciate it. Always good to have small steps to show progress and add up to big progress.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

zie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 pm I just made it to the 1 comma club in my investment account(s)! (yes, just over $10,000)
Excellent! Now for the first $100,000, then the second comma,,
:sharebeer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

zie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 pm I just made it to the 1 comma club in my investment account(s)! (yes, just over $10,000)
That’s awesome. It really feels amazing watching that value keep snowballing bigger and bigger. The next $10k will be even easier. Then before you know it, you are half way to $100k, then $100k, and then is just a stepping stone away from a quarter million. 😎
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :) .
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

I crossed the 750k mark today :D

That's NW, so incl. ~200k home equity.

I got a late start (better than never). 400k of this I added in just the past 5 years, 100k this year. So I think I am finally doing something right. :happy
zie

Post by zie »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:29 pm Congratulations :) .
Raymond wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:54 pm Excellent! Now for the first $100,000, then the second comma,,
EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:13 pm
That’s awesome. It really feels amazing watching that value keep snowballing bigger and bigger. The next $10k will be even easier. Then before you know it, you are half way to $100k, then $100k, and then is just a stepping stone away from a quarter million. 😎
Thanks!! I just started investing this year.

My goal and forecasts have me hitting 2 commas invested about the time I die. Seeing as I started out as an adult broke and living in a homeless encampment, I'm doing pretty good! My goal is to provide some wealth for my loved ones with this investing.

My personal retirement is 100% covered by a state pension(already vested) and SS. This investment stuff is for play money and for my loved ones whenever I wander off to the next of life's adventures and is 100% ROTH(403b and IRA). I'll be capable of early retirement within 10 years, but unknown if I'll wander off then or not. The longer I work(which I currently still enjoy) the more I'll have for my loved ones after I wander.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:36 pm
retire2022 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 pm I did it 2 million portfolio today! Broke the barrier!

I joined the 2 M club!
Thanks, unfortunately lost 7.68% of its value with most recent pullback, due to Softbank on tech, back to 1.871 million as of 9/11/2020 :(
Recovered today, back onto two comma club, it only took five weeks!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

JS-Elcano wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:35 pm I crossed the 750k mark today :D

That's NW, so incl. ~200k home equity.

I got a late start (better than never). 400k of this I added in just the past 5 years, 100k this year. So I think I am finally doing something right. :happy
Congratulations! That’s awesome.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Good on you! Keep up the good work!
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

Just hit $500k TC today.

Age 34.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

retire2022 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:34 pm
retire2022 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:36 pm

I joined the 2 M club!
Recovered today, back onto two comma club, it only took five weeks!
Congratulations on rejoining the club, and on not panicking with the recent plunge.
Mr F

Post by Mr F »

I posted something similar on another forum so would be interested to hear what this thread has to say on it.

Discovered this thread a few months back. Some really interesting stories, thought pieces and outlooks which makes this forum what it is.

I take particular interest in the average salaries (topic author being a teacher) or blue collars as our friends across the pond say (I’m from grey London). Reason being it lays bare what strength of mind it takes, along with discipline to make steady gains, when the wind is both with and against you. Not saying I don’t recognise and respect the individuals who have progressed well in whatever industry and been disciplined to live below your means. Perhaps sacrificing and not giving into temptations when the extra zeros are there takes just as much strength of mind?

Few take outs from this thread:

A) Some individuals have been including equity from their property, no right or wrong, but how many people include this in their net worth considering its not a liquid investment? Personally I wouldn’t count it as I couldn’t sell it at the tap of a button.

B) How quickly did the individuals who went from $(£)100k northwards; move to there desired AA? I am currently procrastinating at the moment with perhaps a short term view we could have another crash. I know market timing is pointless, along with dollar cost averaging being (percentage wise) not as beneficial as lump sum.

C) Are there many from this thread who has achieved FI (or are close to) who spent most of their careers self employed. The reason I ask (as a self employed person) is I require a larger emergency fund, don’t have the security of a company matching my pension contributions, and have higher insurance policies to pay for. Its a huge challenge, along with being the households only income to continue to save hard, invest it and more importantly than all, give my family what they need (we are modest and humble) as well as have aspirations of a larger home.
When you're chewing on life's gristle. Don't grumble, give a whistle. And this'll help things turn out for the best. Always look on the bright side of life.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hello,

I recommend you start a new topic in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum, as the responses will redirect the intent of this discussion - support and encouragement for those who have achieved their milestones.

You are welcome to post a link in this thread to the new discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

My wife & I (41/40) reached the two comma club today ! This would not have been possible without the valuable knowledge I gained from this forum. A very big thank you to all you outstanding folks ! This is the only place I'm sharing my news. Thanks you once again !
FBanks

Post by FBanks »

I hit over a million today! This was big for me because it’s all from my investment accounts and 50% of the house minus mortgage. My husband and I are well over $2m combined, but it was really important for me to hit this milestone in my own accounts. Can’t tell anyone in my real life. Happy to share it here. Especially sweet because I’m 37 and I wanted to hit it before my 38th bday in a few months. :D

FYI $917,000 w/o home equity. Next goal is $1M stock portfolio, which I should hit after I receive my bonus early next year.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats to both! I won't tell anyone. :)
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:25 pm My wife & I (41/40) reached the two comma club today ! This would not have been possible without the valuable knowledge I gained from this forum. A very big thank you to all you outstanding folks ! This is the only place I'm sharing my news. Thanks you once again !
That’s awesome! Congratulations!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

FBanks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:32 pm I hit over a million today! This was big for me because it’s all from my investment accounts and 50% of the house minus mortgage. My husband and I are well over $2m combined, but it was really important for me to hit this milestone in my own accounts. Can’t tell anyone in my real life. Happy to share it here. Especially sweet because I’m 37 and I wanted to hit it before my 38th bday in a few months. :D

FYI $917,000 w/o home equity. Next goal is $1M stock portfolio, which I should hit after I receive my bonus early next year.
Fantastic! Keep up the good work!
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Just looked $991,000.00 Very close to 1 million. I will definitely go out to dinner when I see it, even though it's just a number, that was the one I always wanted to reach. Also, have a paid off house. On track. 56 and would like to leave work by 61. Congratulations to all!
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm Just looked $991,000.00 Very close to 1 million. I will definitely go out to dinner when I see it, even though it's just a number, that was the one I always wanted to reach. Also, have a paid off house. On track. 56 and would like to leave work by 61. Congratulations to all!
Congratulations! :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
SHVille

Post by SHVille »

54 married with kids almost through college and just passed 3m excluding home equity. 5-6 years until retirement and on the right trajectory! Thanks for all the wisdom on this forum.
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

SHVille wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:41 am 54 married with kids almost through college and just passed 3m excluding home equity. 5-6 years until retirement and on the right trajectory! Thanks for all the wisdom on this forum.
Congrats ! that's awesome :sharebeer