Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
sailaway

Re: 401k in 401k

Post by sailaway »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:28 pm I passed 401k in my 401k at market close today. I can vividly remember reading Madbrain's post on this same accomplishment several years ago (Oct 2013) and thinking how far away it felt for me. At the time of his post I had around 80k in my 401k. 401k in my 401k felt miles away. This board has been a constant in my research to build wealth and I thank everyone for their insight and support. Congrats to everyone else celebrating milestones! :sharebeer
This is a fun one!
HalfMillionaire

Re: 401k in 401k

Post by HalfMillionaire »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:28 pm I passed 401k in my 401k at market close today. I can vividly remember reading Madbrain's post on this same accomplishment several years ago (Oct 2013) and thinking how far away it felt for me. At the time of his post I had around 80k in my 401k. 401k in my 401k felt miles away. This board has been a constant in my research to build wealth and I thank everyone for their insight and support. Congrats to everyone else celebrating milestones! :sharebeer
Congratulations! It is about this time that compounding really starts showing up. Market fluctuations become quite pronounced in a dollar amount sense - and the temptation to tinker is high. For me, the reality that I am actually on the right path really hit me at 0.5M - hence my username.
cogito

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by cogito »

Wife and I (31/30) just passed 500k net worth this week. It feels like we could be further ahead when measured against other techies that post here, but we are single income in HCOL, and come from very lower-middle-class households. We are by default richer than anyone in either of our families, and having started our marriage 5 years ago with 110k in student loans, we absolutely never saw ourselves making it as far as we have. When I told my wife she was officially a half-millionaire, should could not believe it, and it still feels surreal for myself as well. We have toddlers, 2 and 1, and feel grateful and humbled that they will, God willing, not grow up in money insecure households like we both did. Thankful to this forum and the FIRE communities for giving us a "how" for our "why".
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

All broke 1.9 million this week, closed at 1.979 million, had 600K lost on March 23, 2020, admitted scary, and mother's passing March 28, 2020.
Working from home, anyway lets hope Covid ends.

I may be at 2 million next week wish me luck.

check out:

Blood, Sweat and Tears, Spinning Wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5jNJd7HRVU
Yinks

Post by Yinks »

My wife and I (36/37) made it to the 2 comma club this week! I didn't see this coming back in April. Could have sworn it would be years off. Thanks to (mostly) staying the course and the support from the collective community here.

Of course I live in a very HCOL area and are surrounded by those with far higher net worth, it's still a good feeling to make it here.

Happy Friday night, all. Time for a celebratory drink :beer
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

core4portfolio wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:51 am
I kept 50k for buying home but seattle house pricing is just made me to dream....
Being in state WA, where do i park 50k cash in savings for better return without equity ?
I chase savings account bonuses with my excess cash. Just used $50k to get $500 from CapitalOne. It was FDIC insured, paid interest rates of 1.3% at start but fell over time. Needed to sit there for 3 months. There are lots of these out there. Takes a little work to track the requirements and avoid fees, but APR is better than anything available these days.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

HalfMillionaire wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:01 pm Just crossed 1MM today.

Started in 2008 with ~(136K) - that's 136K of a hole named student loans.

In last 12 years, moved a couple of times, stayed in 3 apartments and two homes, had twins, suffered career shock, did well in eventual career, checked this site every so often to remind myself to not stray from the path too far.

Here is my journey in a regression equation. X-Axis is number of years, Y-Axis is Net Worth.

Congratulations. (You need to change your username now!)

It doesn't make sense to regress your net worth to a quadratic, since it doesn't grow quadratically. A quadratic grows at a rate which increases with time but is independent of quantity. If your net worth is only investments, with no new money added, it should be regressed to an exponential. Since you are also saving new money, and that likely also grows at an exponential rate (inflation), you might fit to a*e^{bx} + c*e^{dx}. (The value of c may be negative.)
Wiki David Grabiner
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

ronhh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:39 pm Yesterday my 401k hit the "2 Comma Threshold". Took just 33 years with the same company!
congrats, 30 years with my company hit 1.979 million, right behind you :)
retire2022

Re: Paid Off Mortgage

Post by retire2022 »

lionroar22 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:11 pm We paid off our mortgage on Tuesday. 8-)

I wanted to thank everyone for all the replies from other "Paying Off Mortgage" posts. The information/advice was VERY helpful in making the decision. I'm not sure how it should feel, although the bourbon I had that evening did taste a bit smoother. Next is to find a place to park the former monthly mortgage payment which is a good "problem" to have.

As LadyGeek mentioned, we took care of the loss payee on our H/O insurance.

Regarding what Grt2bOutdoors mentioned; "Make sure you receive notification from your local government clerk's office that the lien was officially stricken from their record books. This is in addition to the letter from mortgage company removing the lien." Is this something they will automatically send, or something we need to initiate?

Is there anything else I might be missing?
Go to your county website, make sure UCC-3 loan termination has been posted, along with removal of any liens, the county is a public webiste all across the country.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

retire2022 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:45 pm All broke 1.9 million this week, closed at 1.979 million, had 600K lost on March 23, 2020, admitted scary, and mother's passing March 28, 2020.

check out:

Congratulations! :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

retire2022 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:45 pm All broke 1.9 million this week, closed at 1.979 million, had 600K lost on March 23, 2020, admitted scary, and mother's passing March 28, 2020.

check out:

GOOD LUCK, mate!!! :sharebeer :moneybag
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

KlangFool wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm Folks,

A bittersweet milestone.

A) With my severance pay plus market growth, I reached my FI target last weeK.

B) I am laid off and unemployed.

I guess it is a just-in-time milestone.

KlangFool
KlangFool - first, thanks so much for your contributions to Bogleheads.org over the years. Second, while sorry to hear that you were laid off, glad to hear that you've reached FI.

Last, I will leave you with a retirement plan put forth by one of BH's distinguished posters:
viewtopic.php?t=220234 (aka, "KF's Worst Case Retirement Plan [KlangFool's]")

My hope is that your retirement plan is no longer "worst case". :sharebeer
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

noraz123 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:35 am
KlangFool wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm Folks,

A bittersweet milestone.

A) With my severance pay plus market growth, I reached my FI target last weeK.

B) I am laid off and unemployed.

I guess it is a just-in-time milestone.

KlangFool
KlangFool - first, thanks so much for your contributions to Bogleheads.org over the years. Second, while sorry to hear that you were laid off, glad to hear that you've reached FI.

Last, I will leave you with a retirement plan put forth by one of BH's distinguished posters:
viewtopic.php?t=220234 (aka, "KF's Worst Case Retirement Plan [KlangFool's]")

My hope is that your retirement plan is no longer "worst case". :sharebeer

Thanks. I survive long enough to reach my FI number.

KlangFool
mdd

Post by mdd »

This week we hit our "low" retirement multiple of 25X expenses in investment+cash. I wasn't expecting to hit for a few more years. We aren't ready to retire and our target multiple is 35X. Maybe we are near a market peak and it will drop in the coming months but I'm bullish on the future. Vaccine development is going well and there's considerable pent up purchasing power in the U.S. at least...so maybe we aren't at a peak. What's everyone think?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats on hitting your low-end multiple. Are you asking "Can I retire now?" ? If so, please start a thread in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum and we'll help you work through it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mdd

Post by mdd »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:57 am Congrats on hitting your low-end multiple. Are you asking "Can I retire now?" ? If so, please start a thread in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum and we'll help you work through it.
Thanks! No not asking that. I theory we could but its not time (we like what we do, might upgrade home etc.). I guess I am asking if anyone else feels that though many of us have hit new highs riding the wave with the market are you thinking its too good to be true? Trying not to overthink it!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

mdd wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:52 am This week we hit our "low" retirement multiple of 25X expenses in investment+cash. I wasn't expecting to hit for a few more years. We aren't ready to retire and our target multiple is 35X. Maybe we are near a market peak and it will drop in the coming months but I'm bullish on the future. Vaccine development is going well and there's considerable pent up purchasing power in the U.S. at least...so maybe we aren't at a peak. What's everyone think?
Congratulations on reaching your 25x retirement number :) .

Like you, I am optimistic about both vaccine development and the future.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
tbone555

Post by tbone555 »

ray.james wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:41 pm
tbone555 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:43 am Just hit $1M net worth last week. About $200k of that is real estate equity.

Started from $0 in 2008.
Congratulations.
I am also a grad of great recession(2009). Tough to find a job for months coming out of school but definitely taught some frugality lessons.
Thank you. I finished a long stint in grad school in 2008. Worked for a year, then was out of work for a few months before taking a job in Europe for a year. No matter what was happening, I was always saving and investing what I could.
lionroar22

Post by lionroar22 »

retire2022 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:20 am
lionroar22 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:11 pm We paid off our mortgage on Tuesday. 8-)
Is there anything else I might be missing?
Go to your county website, make sure UCC-3 loan termination has been posted, along with removal of any liens, the county is a public webiste all across the country.
Thanks much. Is there a certain section of the website you need to go to, and is there an appx amount of time it takes for the post to occur?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

cogito wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:12 pm Wife and I (31/30) just passed 500k net worth this week. It feels like we could be further ahead when measured against other techies that post here, but we are single income in HCOL, and come from very lower-middle-class households. We are by default richer than anyone in either of our families, and having started our marriage 5 years ago with 110k in student loans, we absolutely never saw ourselves making it as far as we have. When I told my wife she was officially a half-millionaire, should could not believe it, and it still feels surreal for myself as well. We have toddlers, 2 and 1, and feel grateful and humbled that they will, God willing, not grow up in money insecure households like we both did. Thankful to this forum and the FIRE communities for giving us a "how" for our "why".
Congrats. I told my wife earlier this year that she was a millionaire, and she broke out into tears. When we met 7yrs ago, she was a 26yr old single mom with no education, making $11/hr, and with a negative net worth. She will finish her BA in December and already has a 6-figure tech career. Similar background, we both grew up very poor, and although some of our siblings make decent money, our net worth is probably about twice that of our entire families combined (both sets of parents and 9 siblings). It's pretty crazy when we think about the progress we've made in such a short period of time.
lionroar22

Post by lionroar22 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:58 pm I told my wife earlier this year that she was a millionaire, and she broke out into tears. When we met 7yrs ago, she was a 26yr old single mom with no education, making $11/hr, and with a negative net worth.
That's VERY NICE to hear. This shows no matter where you are in life (age, situation, income, etc.) you CAN lift yourself to new heights if you set your mind to it.
stoptothink wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:58 pm we both grew up very poor, and although some of our siblings make decent money, our net worth is probably about twice that of our entire families combined (both sets of parents and 9 siblings). It's pretty crazy when we think about the progress we've made in such a short period of time.
Most likely because you have lived below your means. That combined with "Paying Yourself First" results in steady steps forward towards your goal (s). 8-) Congrats on all you have both accomplished! :beer
lionroar22

Post by lionroar22 »

cogito wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:12 pm Wife and I (31/30) just passed 500k net worth this week. It feels like we could be further ahead when measured against other techies that post here, but we are single income in HCOL, and come from very lower-middle-class households. We are by default richer than anyone in either of our families, and having started our marriage 5 years ago with 110k in student loans, we absolutely never saw ourselves making it as far as we have.
Congrats! IMHO you're doing great, especially starting $110K in debt, and still have plenty of time to get where you want to go financially. 8-)
cogito wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:12 pm When I told my wife she was officially a half-millionaire, should could not believe it, and it still feels surreal for myself as well.
I recall when my wife (girlfriend at the time) had substantial debt. She grew up in a household that was "less than frugal". As she learned how/started to save and amassed $10K I recall her saying her parents never had that much in savings.

Perhaps the surreal feeling will have sunk in by the time you tell your wife she's officially a WHOLE millionaire, lol. :wink:
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:58 pmCongrats. I told my wife earlier this year that she was a millionaire, and she broke out into tears. When we met 7yrs ago, she was a 26yr old single mom with no education, making $11/hr, and with a negative net worth. She will finish her BA in December and already has a 6-figure tech career. Similar background, we both grew up very poor, . . . . .
Congratulations :D . That is extraordinary.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
xxsocraticxx

i Hit My Target - Thank You All

Post by xxsocraticxx »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

friends..

in 2011, I had asked you all how I could double my liquid assets in 10 years. My target number was $3MM by age 60.

Today with the help of Vanguard and you all, I am a tad under 60 and have basically hit my number. I am not a FIRE person, but am able to retire a bit early now.

Getting here, I dumped active funds, dumped my financial planner and to the extent I could, ignored gurus (except J. BOGLE).

I realized very quickly I was my own worst enemy so for many of those years, I would only peak at my accounts a few times a year. As an unsophisticated investor with an average income in the IT field, I knew the secret is staying the course and living under my means.

At this milestone, let me thank you all.. esp Livesoft who I've read all these years.
Last edited by xxsocraticxx on Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nix4me

Re: i Hit My Target - Thank You All

Post by nix4me »

Congrats!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D .
BoglePablo

Post by BoglePablo »

Congratulations, and thanks for historically responding to your own post nearly 10 years ago.

In fact, you inspire me; my reason for responding to your post is as a reminder to myself, so i can check back in ten years and see how my own net worth will have increased; hopefully i too will have doubled at that point.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

Congratulations! :beer
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Congratulations, that is great news!

By just earning the market return over the last nine years, you have done better than most investors. It’s not sexy, but it definitely works.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged xxsocraticxx's thread into the on-going discussion. This thread is a sticky in the US Chapters (Bogleheads community) forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

investingdad wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:46 am
Bb073084 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:55 am
Bb073084 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:28 am We reached a new milestone at $1.2M. Hoping we can retire early someday if things keep progressing the way they have for another 10-15 years.

Started working in 2008. Did not track prior to 2016.
2016: $0.5M
2017: $0.7M (first year with children and daycare costs)
2018: $0.8M
2019: $1.1M
YTD: $1.2m

Goal is to retire with a paid off house and $2.5-$3M in assets at age 50 if at all possible.
We will reach a new milestone this week with an unexpected large windfall we will hit $1.6M. Very fortunate and hope to have $3M-$3.5M by age 45 (9 years from now).
I don't know how much you're adding to your portfolio each year, but assuming at least 60k I think your target is very realistic.

We hit $1M at 39, and this year at 47, hit $3.5 (though down a bit at the moment). We add about 80k a year.

So you're tracking a bit ahead of us but forecasting results very similar to what we've gotten. I think it's quite reasonable. Just stick with the plan and strategy regardless of what stupidity the market throws at you.
We actually got lucky with an unexpected windfall so now closer to $1.6m now after the windfall. Putting away between $60-$100k a year. Still hoping to retire at 50 or earlier with $3M+ and paid off house.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Hawaiishrimp wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:26 am
I did it 2 million portfolio today! Broke the barrier!

I joined the 2 M club!
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Love this thread
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

retire2022 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 pm
Hawaiishrimp wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:26 am
I did it 2 million portfolio today! Broke the barrier!

I joined the 2 M club!
Now don't lose it! You learned hopefully from the last drop just how fast it can dive. Congrats! :sharebeer You can now advance your retirement date!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

Cracked $1.2 million earlier this year and cracked $1.3 million today thanks to the awesome performance of some individual tech stocks I own.

If I wanted to do a lean FIRE I could probably retire today at age 48, but my job isn't bad (WFH) so hoping to be fully financially independent (FATFIRE) around age 55 with $2 million. That is the goal anyway.
achillesheel

Post by achillesheel »

cogito wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:12 pm Wife and I (31/30) just passed 500k net worth this week. It feels like we could be further ahead when measured against other techies that post here, but we are single income in HCOL, and come from very lower-middle-class households. We are by default richer than anyone in either of our families, and having started our marriage 5 years ago with 110k in student loans, we absolutely never saw ourselves making it as far as we have. When I told my wife she was officially a half-millionaire, should could not believe it, and it still feels surreal for myself as well. We have toddlers, 2 and 1, and feel grateful and humbled that they will, God willing, not grow up in money insecure households like we both did. Thankful to this forum and the FIRE communities for giving us a "how" for our "why".
Absolute congratulations. You touch the point of all this for us parents: how to do the best we can for our children. I hope for the best for you in years to come, most of all for your children to appreciate your hard work and sacrifice.
alex6499

Post by alex6499 »

Crossed 100k between 401k, roth ira, and taxable accounts. 25 yrs old. Thankful that I found Bogleheads!
2020content

Post by 2020content »

We just crossed $4M in investments and liquid assets today! (excludes home, property, and real estate)

Key lesson this year --- Stay the course!

Congratulations to all of those hitting financial milestones!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

alex6499 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:31 pm Crossed 100k between 401k, roth ira, and taxable accounts. 25 yrs old. Thankful that I found Bogleheads!
That’s awesome! I know it’s super hard to achieve that at just 25. Keep up the good work, and best of luck in the future!
mdd

Post by mdd »

xxsocraticxx wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:34 am [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

friends..

in 2011, I had asked you all how I could double my liquid assets in 10 years. My target number was $3MM by age 60.

Today with the help of Vanguard and you all, I am a tad under 60 and have basically hit my number. I am not a FIRE person, but am able to retire a bit early now.

Getting here, I dumped active funds, dumped my financial planner and to the extent I could, ignored gurus (except J. BOGLE).

I realized very quickly I was my own worst enemy so for many of those years, I would only peak at my accounts a few times a year. As an unsophisticated investor with an average income in the IT field, I knew the secret is staying the course and living under my means.

At this milestone, let me thank you all.. esp Livesoft who I've read all these years.
Nice job!
BisterMean

Post by BisterMean »

Paid off my mortgage at 33 (2yrs ago)
Reached $1MM NW last year after some inheritance
Reached $1MM NW this year without the inheritance (woohoo!)

Hopefully I can convince myself to take a 60% pay cut to leave my corporate job for the academic life again. Can't imagine how much more frugal I'd be :D
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

PhillyPhan wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:52 pm
davidsorensen32 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 pm So far this year my networth has increased $1,000 every day from 1/1 through today. How’s that for a milestone ?
Love it! - You can honestly say "I made a G today" - name that artist
But you made it in a (un)sleazy way.
A440

Post by A440 »

DS #2 529 earnings have surpassed our contributions. "Time in the market, not timing the market."
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

HalfMillionaire wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:01 pm Just crossed 1MM today.

Started in 2008 with ~(136K) - that's 136K of a hole named student loans.

In last 12 years, moved a couple of times, stayed in 3 apartments and two homes, had twins, suffered career shock, did well in eventual career, checked this site every so often to remind myself to not stray from the path too far.

Here is my journey in a regression equation. X-Axis is number of years, Y-Axis is Net Worth.

After you crossed the $1 million mark, you will need to start using a log-scale chart to graph your net worth.

TravelforFun
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

alex6499 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:31 pm Crossed 100k between 401k, roth ira, and taxable accounts. 25 yrs old. Thankful that I found Bogleheads!
Congratulations! You're way ahead of me (and many others) at that age. I had a net worth of $311 at age 25 which is 43 years ago when I decided to get serious about my finance.

TravelforFun
HalfMillionaire

Post by HalfMillionaire »

TravelforFun wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:03 am After you crossed the $1 million mark, you will need to start using a log-scale chart to graph your net worth.

TravelforFun
Would love to - but its the damm negative values problem! Same issue with any exponential curve fitting.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

HalfMillionaire wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:26 pm
TravelforFun wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:03 am After you crossed the $1 million mark, you will need to start using a log-scale chart to graph your net worth.

TravelforFun
Would love to - but its the damm negative values problem! Same issue with any exponential curve fitting.
Skip the first few negative numbers because we're not going back.

TravelforFun
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Its not as exciting as all you 2 comma showoffs :beer but as of last month we officially now have no other debt but our 3.1% mortgage, which now allow us to sock away nearly 30% of gross into tax advantaged (401/457/roth/HSA/529/etc). Puting us on track to hit the second comma in NW in the next 2 years? and probably less than 10 years from our minimal FI target. Maybe 15 years out from optimal retirement age depending on how expensive college tuition for 2 is....

When we got married 12 years ago:
* My wife net worth was negative
* mine was maybe 75k positive
* she had CC debt
* we both had student loan debt
* we both had to lend our parents money at times to help out
* over the years we at times had to take 2 car loans out at once because the paid off car died unexpectedly
so at times we had as many as 6 loan payments due each month :oops:

This is a pretty big deal as neither of us comes form well off or even moderately financially responsible families... I could guess that of our parents and siblings maybe only one other family member besides us even has a positive net worth.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

jharkin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 am Its not as exciting as all you 2 comma showoffs :beer but as of last month we officially now have no other debt but our 3.1% mortgage, which now allow us to sock away nearly 30% of gross into tax advantaged (401/457/roth/HSA/529/etc). Puting us on track to hit the second comma in NW in the next 2 years? and probably less than 10 years from our minimal FI target. Maybe 15 years out from optimal retirement age depending on how expensive college tuition for 2 is....

* she had CC debt
* over the years we at times had to take 2 car loans out at once because the paid off car died unexpectedly

This is a pretty big deal as neither of us comes form well off or even moderately financially responsible families... I could guess that of our parents and siblings maybe only one other family member besides us even has a positive net worth.
Congratulations on getting debt under control :) , and on having an excellent savings rate :) .
novolog

Post by novolog »

jharkin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 am Its not as exciting as all you 2 comma showoffs :beer but as of last month we officially now have no other debt but our 3.1% mortgage, which now allow us to sock away nearly 30% of gross into tax advantaged (401/457/roth/HSA/529/etc). Puting us on track to hit the second comma in NW in the next 2 years? and probably less than 10 years from our minimal FI target. Maybe 15 years out from optimal retirement age depending on how expensive college tuition for 2 is....

* she had CC debt

Congratulations - finding a house that allows you to save 30% of gross is not easy in the Boston Suburbs.