Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

spdoublebass wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm Sometimes I feel like a very small fish swimming with sharks when I read this forum. I couldn’t be more grateful though. It’s been a fountain of knowledge and guidance.

I finally paid off my credit card. I still can’t really believe it.

My wife and I are both full time musicians. When Covid hit I planned ahead and started to stock up money, to bring my EF up to 7 months. Unbelievably, my orchestra continued to pay us. That money added to the stimulus we received I was able to pay off my credit card while still saving 20% for retirement and having 3 months in my EF.

I know high figures are tossed around on this forum a lot, but there is plenty of good stuff on here for people in the 12% tax brackets.
It is not the size of the ocean that matters, it’s how your immediate living conditions that count. The benefits of personal finance apply to everyone. Congratulations on your accomplishments! No small feat!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm I am now a paying customer to a cable company for the first time in my life. Yep, the house is now getting cable internet, but not cable TV.
You caved! :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:05 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm I am now a paying customer to a cable company for the first time in my life. Yep, the house is now getting cable internet, but not cable TV.
I guess so, but my son who is home and jobless and gaming got sick of the 1990s internet speed we have and convinced mom to upgrade. I used it as a teaching moment, so now he knows how to run cable, drill holes between floors, and crimp connectors onto RG6 coax cable, buy & set up a cable modem, and deal with the cable company on the phone. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 pm
I guess so, but my son who is home and jobless and gaming got sick of the 1990s internet speed we have and convinced mom to upgrade. I used it as a teaching moment, so now he knows how to run cable, drill holes between floors, and crimp connectors onto RG6 coax cable, buy & set up a cable modem, and deal with the cable company on the phone. :)
How did livesoft make nearly 75,000 posts without proper broad band? Can carrier pigeons really carry so much?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Normchad wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:46 pm
livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 pm
How did livesoft make nearly 75,000 posts without proper broad band? Can carrier pigeons really carry so much?
My guess is his neighbors let him piggy back off of their wifi system.
grettman

Post by grettman »

Our household reached $2 million in investable assets.

Took us about 6 years to go from $1 to $2 million.

I normally don't check my accounts during mid-month but the quick math in my head got me curious.

Milestone doesn't mean a heck of a lot but psychologically it feels kinda nice.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

grettman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:18 am Our household reached $2 million in investable assets.

Took us about 6 years to go from $1 to $2 million.

I normally don't check my accounts during mid-month but the quick math in my head got me curious.

Milestone doesn't mean a heck of a lot but psychologically it feels kinda nice.
Congratulations! Now onto the next million.

TravelforFun
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I paid of my mortgage a few weeks ago, and it could not have been more anticlimactic. Probably because I stole money from taxable bonds to pay it off, so another balance dropped.

I refinanced to a 15yr 2.875% loan 4 years ago. I’m 34 and fairly confident that investing in a taxable at my 80/20 allocation would have given me better returns, but still decided to pay it off. The simplicity of not having to pay an extra bill every month, and agonizing over ‘should I pay it off’ sold me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats! When you get the paperwork that the loan has been paid off, be sure to remove the mortgage company from your homeowners insurance policy.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

poker27 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am I paid of my mortgage a few weeks ago, and it could not have been more anticlimactic. Probably because I stole money from taxable bonds to pay it off, so another balance dropped.

I refinanced to a 15yr 2.875% loan 4 years ago. I’m 34 and fairly confident that investing in a taxable at my 80/20 allocation would have given me better returns, but still decided to pay it off. The simplicity of not having to pay an extra bill every month, and agonizing over ‘should I pay it off’ sold me.
Congratulations :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

poker27 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am I paid of my mortgage a few weeks ago, and it could not have been more anticlimactic. Probably because I stole money from taxable bonds to pay it off, so another balance dropped.

Wife and I agreed not to start taxable until we had the home paid off. We did it in May, and likewise, it was very anticlimactic. We had to pay for her fall tuition and then a few other larger bills shortly after and we like to max out Roths and kids 529s at the first of the year, so we are still saving cash for that. No taxable yet, so it hasn't really felt like anything is different. I have a difficult time psychologically with debt, but I've spent a lot of time thinking we should have refinanced and invested more instead of paying off our home in 4.5yrs.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:08 am

Wife and I agreed not to start taxable until we had the home paid off. We did it in May, and likewise, it was very anticlimactic. We had to pay for her fall tuition and then a few other larger bills shortly after and we like to max out Roths and kids 529s at the first of the year, so we are still saving cash for that. No taxable yet, so it hasn't really felt like anything is different. I have a difficult time psychologically with debt, but I've spent a lot of time thinking we should have refinanced and invested more instead of paying off our home in 4.5yrs.
So far every milestone has felt good when I click the button, but after that, meh, life doesn't change at all.
MICKFI

Post by MICKFI »

Our net worth hit $2,000,224 end of week last week. Took 5 years to go from $1MM to $2MM.

We celebrated by drinking our favorite coffee made in our Keurig at home.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

And a new financial milestone: Our last (youngest) child to graduate from college this year has accepted a job offer that is rather decent and in his field at a local well-known hospital. I had thought he would be on "parental payroll" for a quite a while and that's not going to happen now. It's practically a miracle!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Admiral Fun

Post by Admiral Fun »

Hit 2 million for the first time in the middle of the day today but by closing it fell below. Does it count?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 pm And a new financial milestone: Our last (youngest) child to graduate from college this year has accepted a job offer that is rather decent and in his field at a local well-known hospital. I had thought he would be on "parental payroll" for a quite a while and that's not going to happen now. It's practically a miracle!
Congratulations! :sharebeer
Next milestone-have child sign up for employer retirement plan, pronto!
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Admiral Fun wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:44 pm Hit 2 million for the first time in the middle of the day today but by closing it fell below. Does it count?
Why not? It happened. Hope you got a screenshot of the number.

TravelforFun
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

livesoft wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 pm And a new financial milestone: Our last (youngest) child to graduate from college this year has accepted a job offer that is rather decent and in his field at a local well-known hospital. I had thought he would be on "parental payroll" for a quite a while and that's not going to happen now. It's practically a miracle!
Congratulations :D . Miracles do happen.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I remember to read the Boglehead networth survey a few years back. Why did they not do that anymore?
I am interested in knowing the networth numbers of those bogleheads who are retired.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You are probably referring to the thread which allowed anonymous polls. The site owner disabled those polls. Here's the rationale: Polls Disabled

Instead, members can post their net worth and discuss their situation here: Share your net worth progression

If anyone has a question on this, feel free to PM me.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bb073084

Post by Bb073084 »

Bb073084 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:28 am We reached a new milestone at $1.2M. Hoping we can retire early someday if things keep progressing the way they have for another 10-15 years.

Started working in 2008. Did not track prior to 2016.
2016: $0.5M
2017: $0.7M (first year with children and daycare costs)
2018: $0.8M
2019: $1.1M
YTD: $1.2m

Goal is to retire with a paid off house and $2.5-$3M in assets at age 50 if at all possible.
We will reach a new milestone this week with an unexpected large windfall we will hit $1.6M. Very fortunate and hope to have $3M-$3.5M by age 45 (9 years from now).
Iowa David

Post by Iowa David »

Was able to qualify and max out contributions to 401k, HSA, After tax/Megaback Door Roth and company ESPP (10% discount) for the very first time in my life.

Feel very fortunate to have come across this site, which has helped build my awareness of these options and for being able to work for a company that has given me this financial opportunity.
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing
tony_roach

Post by tony_roach »

tony_roach wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:48 pm 2019 milestones
--Net worth surpassed $1M in Q1 2019 (including home equity)
--Investments surpassed $900K just this past week (looking forward to crossing $1M in just investments)
Update: 2020 milestones
--Net worth surpassed $1.3M in July 2020 (including home equity)
--Investments surpassed $1M in July 2020 (Friendly reminder to stay the course...I passed $900K in Oct 2019, increased to $980K in Feb 2020, went all the way down to $740K during the Covid crash. I kept investing and balance just passed $1M in Jul 2020. Great community, support, experience and knowledge from this forum!)
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

tony_roach wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:19 pm
--Investments surpassed $900K just this past week (looking forward to crossing $1M in just investments)
--Investments surpassed $1M in July 2020 (Friendly reminder to stay the course...I passed $900K in Oct 2019, increased to $980K in Feb 2020, went all the way down to $740K during the Covid crash. I kept investing and balance just passed $1M in Jul 2020. Great community, support, experience and knowledge from this forum!)
tony_roach, congratulations! you've made it to the 'two-comma' club.

TravelforFun
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

tony_roach wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:19 pm
Congratulations, you kept investing thru the COVID crash.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Bb073084 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:55 am
Bb073084 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:28 am We reached a new milestone at $1.2M. Hoping we can retire early someday if things keep progressing the way they have for another 10-15 years.

Started working in 2008. Did not track prior to 2016.
2016: $0.5M
2017: $0.7M (first year with children and daycare costs)
2018: $0.8M
2019: $1.1M
YTD: $1.2m

Goal is to retire with a paid off house and $2.5-$3M in assets at age 50 if at all possible.
We will reach a new milestone this week with an unexpected large windfall we will hit $1.6M. Very fortunate and hope to have $3M-$3.5M by age 45 (9 years from now).
I don't know how much you're adding to your portfolio each year, but assuming at least 60k I think your target is very realistic.

We hit $1M at 39, and this year at 47, hit $3.5 (though down a bit at the moment). We add about 80k a year.

So you're tracking a bit ahead of us but forecasting results very similar to what we've gotten. I think it's quite reasonable. Just stick with the plan and strategy regardless of what stupidity the market throws at you.
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

We reached $4M in investable assets this month. Almost to our goal of $4.4M, where we will take a gap year. When we return, I will only work part-time. As a bonus: should hit $5M in total net worth in the next couple of months, if I include the value of our home and childrens' 529s (I know, a stretch, but it sounds good)!
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 pm With the rise in the markets today, my investments have exceeded 500k. :sharebeer

For some perspective almost 3 years to the date I reached 250k invested.
With the rise in the markets today, my investments have crossed the 600k invested threshold. :sharebeer

While I am impressed with the time frame it took to move from 500 - 600, it is crazy to look back and see that my balance moved from 395k in late March up 205k in just 5 months.

I am sure many others have reached all time highs today, kudos and congrats.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

tyrnup13 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:59 pm We reached $4M in investable assets this month. Almost to our goal of $4.4M, where we will take a gap year. When we return, I will only work part-time. As a bonus: should hit $5M in total net worth in the next couple of months, if I include the value of our home and childrens' 529s (I know, a stretch, but it sounds good)!
Wow, congrats! To reference another thread on here, 4 million is what I would call "critical mass". Daily moves must often be in the 5 figures.
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

Finally joined the 6-figure club! About 60% in cash right now as we're wanting to buy a home, but that could be as far as 2-3 years out so I'm waffling on the idea of putting it into the market or just waiting.
berg

Post by berg »

With the recent uptick in the markets, we simultaneously passed a few milestones, we (okay, my wife doesn't care as much as long as I tell her we are on track :D ) We re 37 and 35 with two kids and feel good to be on our way to FI some day.
  • Passed $1.9M in net worth (>$2M if I count some vested options I have in my private company)
  • $1.3M in investments
  • And the one I think I am most excited about, we have more money in our taxable account and cash savings than our mortgage balacne. So theoretically could pay it off, but just refinanced to a 2.75% and plan to keep it as long as possible. The extra monthly $234 savings is already being auto invested in our taxable monthly!
Huge thanks to everyone on this forum for your help throughout the years. :sharebeer We only passed $1M in net worth ~3 years ago in 2017. Our net worth when for my first post here in 2013 was $290k. And in 2007 I had used a third of my $15k net worth to buy a $5k used car to get to my job. My wife and I have been very fortunate. What a journey -- stay the course! :D
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

berg wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:58 am With the recent uptick in the markets, we simultaneously passed a few milestones, we (okay, my wife doesn't care as much as long as I tell her we are on track :D ) We re 37 and 35 with two kids and feel good to be on our way to FI some day.
  • Passed $1.9M in net worth (>$2M if I count some vested options I have in my private company)
  • $1.3M in investments
  • And the one I think I am most excited about, we have more money in our taxable account and cash savings than our mortgage balacne. So theoretically could pay it off, but just refinanced to a 2.75% and plan to keep it as long as possible. The extra monthly $234 savings is already being auto invested in our taxable monthly!
Huge thanks to everyone on this forum for your help throughout the years. :sharebeer We only passed $1M in net worth ~3 years ago in 2017. Our net worth when for my first post here in 2013 was $290k. And in 2007 I had used a third of my $15k net worth to buy a $5k used car to get to my job. My wife and I have been very fortunate. What a journey -- stay the course! :D
Great work Berg, appreciate the context you provided, very helpful to others who are earlier in their journey see how compounding works.
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

So far this year my networth has increased $1,000 every day from 1/1 through today. How’s that for a milestone ?
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 pm So far this year my networth has increased $1,000 every day from 1/1 through today. How’s that for a milestone ?
Love it! - You can honestly say "I made a G today" - name that artist
kuttolas

Reached another milestone: $1M in Savings

Post by kuttolas »

[Merged into the existing topic -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

My wife & I, reached another milestone a month ago. We currently have little more than a million in our retirement accounts(950K) & savings accounts combined (100K). Both of us are 46 years old.

We have been sort of anxiously waiting a long time for this, especially since we hit $500K mark four years ago. We hit the two comma club on net-worth 10 months ago that includes the equity in our home. We reached the same number with just savings and investments a month ago. However, it all feels anti-climatic. I feel no excitement or any urge to celebrate. We are certainly grateful we reached it, but this feels less real than the previous milestone of $500K.

The wild ride of stocks this year has me somewhat spooked, I have seen nothing like this in my life. The crash of 2008, did not affect me much as I had very little invested then. It was nerve wracking seeing value of retirement account drop 20% in a matter of days. I am so thankful for finding this community when I started to invest for the first time. Without this community and it's philosophy, I certainly would not have stayed the course. Even now, after the market has recovered, I don't feel like celebrating because there is this trepidation about the market that was never there in the past decade.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this thank all the Bogleheads for helping us in our journey.
herennow

Re: Reached another milestone: $1M in Savings

Post by herennow »

Congratulations on the milestone!!
InvestorP

Post by InvestorP »

Very cool news. Thanks for sharing. :moneybag :sharebeer
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

Congrats!

Some free advice.....

Sit down with your wife, share a beverage, some food, and enjoy the moment. Check-in and see how each is feeling, what worked, and what isn’t. See if you are aligned on the next goal.

But don’t get too attached to the number. It will change, it may go up, may go down. The connection and habits you build are far more important!

This is a strange market — I have no idea where it’s going but am along for the ride.

It’s a really cool milestone!

WoodSpinner
rascott

Post by rascott »

First $1m always the hardest! Congrats!

Post by 000 »

A million here, a million there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 pm So far this year my networth has increased $1,000 every day from 1/1 through today. How’s that for a milestone ?
Congratulations but ... that doesn't tell us how well your asset is performing unless you also tell us the size of your net worth on 1/1 and whether you've added to your asset with new contributions between 1/1 and today.

TravelforFun
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TravelforFun wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:22 am
Congratulations but ... that doesn't tell us how well your asset is performing unless you also tell us the size of your net worth on 1/1 and whether you've added to your asset with new contributions between 1/1 and today.

TravelforFun
But congratulations :), no matter how you got there.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

TravelforFun
If you invested approx 3 Million in S&P500 at beginning of the year - with approx return of 8.5% for total return., it will be $240K for about 240 days for the year.

Or, he may have just bought TSLA with $60K, all the monies he got, and now UP approx $250K for the numbers of days .. just kidding :-)

Per: viewtopic.php?p=4747066#p4747066
davidsorensen32 made approx $250K in about 0.6 months (*presume it must be a mistake, he prolly meant 0.6 year !?) Pretty good/consistent -- Keep it going !!
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

sc9182 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am

TravelforFun
If you invested approx 3 Million in S&P500 at beginning of the year - with approx return of 8.5% for total return., it will be $240K for about 240 days for the year.

Or, he may have just bought TSLA with $60K, all the monies he got, and now UP approx $250K for the numbers of days .. just kidding :-)

davidsorensen32 made approx $250K in about 0.6 months (*presume it must be a mistake, he prolly meant 0.6 year !?) Pretty good/consistent -- Keep it going !!
Or he may have $3 million in cash at home and inherited $240k on the 240th day of the year.

TravelforFun
oktax

Post by oktax »

Started 5 years ago with a combined net worth (counting spouse’s student loans) of approximately -$150k. In the last 5 years, we’ve paid off all student loans, had a kid, purchased a comfortable second car, purchased a house we’ll be in for at least 10 years, and now have over $100k invested and just started taxable investing. We have a long way to go and are still behind (we’re early to mid thirties), but I’m really proud of what we’ve accomplished.
davidsorensen32

No inheritance. No Tesla. No Bitcoin. No FANG. No FAANMG. No 100/0 or 90/10 AA. No leveraged ETFs. No HEDGEFUNDIE's portfolio. No MD/Surgeon income. No FANG RSUs. No desire or attempt to FIRE. Not pulling in all-nighters building the next world shattering unicorn. Nothing exotic at all. Simple VTSAX + contributions in 60/40. I'm too lazy to even re-balance. Its quite boring actually. I think I beat everyone in having the most boring and laziest portfolio of all times. I have noted my contributions elsewhere : viewtopic.php?p=5443953#p5443953 . I'm just an average Joe. Ok perhaps a tad tiny bit above average (just to massage my ego).

TravelforFun wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:39 pm

TravelforFun

Or he may have $3 million in cash at home and inherited $240k on the 240th day of the year.

TravelforFun
Last edited by davidsorensen32 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
davidsorensen32

2019 ended up increasing networth $1,500 per day of the year. Or about $1/minute between 1/1 and 12/31. Go figure !
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Fun milestone yesterday: the balance in my 401k has exceeded $401k :mrgreen:

Will likely dip below that soon as I have post-tax money that needs to get rolled into my roth, but it's certainly some nice growth. My company's generous 7% match helped a lot.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

A bittersweet milestone.

A) With my severance pay plus market growth, I reached my FI target last weeK.

B) I am laid off and unemployed.

I guess it is a just-in-time milestone.

KlangFool