Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Hub

Re: Two Comma Club

Post by Hub »

WarAdmiral wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 pm Well done! Congratulations and Welcome to the club.

Wondering if you would be willing to share: What was you asset allocation ? Any individual stocks in your portfolio ?
I read all the asset allocation books in 2012-2013 and settled on the Larry Swedroe slice and dice from “The only guide to investments you’ll ever need” book. This has a small and value tilt. 55% US, 35% intl, 10% reit. I haven’t deviated since and have never owned an individual stock. Admittedly there have been more optimal allocations during this time but I feel fine with it on a 30yr horizon. 100% stock except for whatever cash is waiting to be invested which sits around 10-20% of investable assets. The market has been at an all time high basically the whole time so I’m always slow to get my lump sum non payroll contributions in.
WarAdmiral

Post by WarAdmiral »

Hub wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:49 pm
WarAdmiral wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 pm Well done! Congratulations and Welcome to the club.

Wondering if you would be willing to share: What was you asset allocation ? Any individual stocks in your portfolio ?
I read all the asset allocation books in 2012-2013 and settled on the Larry Swedroe slice and dice from “The only guide to investments you’ll ever need” book. This has a small and value tilt. 55% US, 35% intl, 10% reit. I haven’t deviated since and have never owned an individual stock. Admittedly there have been more optimal allocations during this time but I feel fine with it on a 30yr horizon. 100% stock except for whatever cash is waiting to be invested which sits around 10-20% of investable assets. The market has been at an all time high basically the whole time so I’m always slow to get my lump sum non payroll contributions in.
:sharebeer
dewey

Post by dewey »

Welcome welcome to the club. I had to wait decades later than you for my two commas. But you and DW are fully entitled to have that steak and thoroughly enjoy it.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Congrats!

The second milestone should be a lot quicker than the first. :beer
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

Awesome news. Yes, this is a good place to share these kind of news !
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

It’s great to read these success stories. Congratulations!
crossbow

Post by crossbow »

Congratulations :beer I hope to join you when I turn 40.
gips

Post by gips »

congrats! next up, 3 comma club!
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

shelanman

Post by shelanman »

Nice work!

I was going to make a joke about Club Tres Commas, but seems gips beat me to it.

All the same, that's a significant accomplishment. Well done. Also, thanks for sharing, it's always nice to read about happy occasions well earned... the internet has way to few of them.
Hub

Post by Hub »

TxAg wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:28 am:sharebeer
My wife is an Aggie for the record. Cheers.
student

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by student »

SEAworld9 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:20 am i crossed over into the two comma club yesterday thanks to my NW being up 23% so far this year. turned 37 in april.

but more proud of my fiancé who as of this month has her student loan balance finally down to five figures! she is 34.

as a couple we hit two commas back in april a few days after my birthday.
Congratulations...
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations Hub.That's a lot of milestones in 11 years.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I never get tired of reading about the success of BHs who have worked so hard to get to ANY milestone they are proud enough to share with us.

Well done to all, and keep doing what you have done thus far that made your milestone achievable. Continue setting goals, stretching yourselves but never forgetting to enjoy life along the journey as well. Life is a marathon, not a series of sprints.

Also remember the market can take away from those milestones periodically, as we have recently witnessed. Do not become discouraged. There will be lots of zigs and zags in the market and life along the way.

And, once more, take time to enjoy life. Some of the saddest discussions I have read here are from those uber savers who find themselves unable to break their lifelong savings habits, thus detracting them from enjoying a comfortable and well-funded retirement.

:beer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Just finished updating the magic spreadsheet to include June, and sometime last month I crossed the million USD threshold for my liquidable investments. This includes the realizable equity in real estate, net of selling expenses, plus cash and publicly traded securities.

Back in 2008-2009, when I was living in my car in the wake of Chapter 7 bankruptcy, there's no way I would have ever imagined I'd recover. But, here we are.

Fair winds & following seas. :sharebeer
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We simplified and dropped international stock, real estate, and bonds in the past year.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
RocketShipTech

Post by RocketShipTech »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:47 pm We simplified and dropped international stock, real estate, and bonds in the past year.
You went 100% US stock?

:shock:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

RocketShipTech wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:24 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:47 pm We simplified and dropped international stock, real estate, and bonds in the past year.
You went 100% US stock?

Two Fund Portfolio of Total Stock and Bond as Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett recommend.
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:15 pm
You went 100% US stock?

Two Fund Portfolio of Total Stock and Bond as Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett recommend.
Could you clarify? You said that you “dropped” bonds.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:20 pm
You went 100% US stock?

International bonds as I did not feel like they did much of anything different that US bonds do.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

You went 100% US stock?

I also was referring to international REITs / real estate.
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:31 pm
You went 100% US stock?

International bonds as I did not feel like they did much of anything different that US bonds do.
Gotcha, I was just confused by your wording. I agree with you (and Jack Bogle). For the majority of investors, simplicity goes a long way!
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:47 am
abuss368 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:31 pm

You went 100% US stock?

Gotcha, I was just confused by your wording. I agree with you (and Jack Bogle). For the majority of investors, simplicity goes a long way!
Investing wise and in life - better words have never been spoken.
akron1977

Finally! [Getting SS at 70]

Post by akron1977 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

My dh turns 70 in less than two weeks----which means, we will finally receive SS income! He retired in Dec. 2013, and since then we have been living on withdrawals from IRA/401K. During that time, we had one out-of-state wedding, house downpayment gift, used car purchase, trip to Paris, and the usual maintenance and repairs for 3 older vehicles and one house. The amazing part....our IRA (consolidated with the 401K several years ago) is 90% of the original amount! We had negligible savings (<10K) outside of retirement accounts. This had been our goal since he took an early buyout offer, but weren't sure we could pull it off....but the end is near!
lazynovice

Re: Finally!

Post by lazynovice »

Congrats! Sounds like you are all set.
MathIsMyWayr

Re: Finally!

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

What kind of a fancy gift do you have in mind for your DH?
Leif

Re: Finally! [Getting SS at 70]

Post by Leif »

Do you have a question?
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

congrats ! congrats! before this topic gets locked.....
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

akron1977 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:10 pm The amazing part....our IRA (consolidated with the 401K several years ago) is 90% of the original amount!
This is what a Bull market can do. My mom retired in 2010 with 220K in a 401k. She's taken out around $10,000 a year for the past 10 years and yet her balance is right where it was 10 years ago (so she basically withdrew all the growth over the past 10 years). She has started with a 33/67 portfolio which climed to 41/58 until last year when she rebalanced for the first time (now set to automatic annually). Good timing on her part, not just on rebalancing, but retiring at the beginning of a long lasting bull market.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged akron1977's thread into the ongoing discussion, which is the thread for bragging about your financial milestones - whatever they may be.

Congrats! :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

AerialWombat wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:57 pm Just finished updating the magic spreadsheet to include June, and sometime last month I crossed the million USD threshold for my liquidable investments. This includes the realizable equity in real estate, net of selling expenses, plus cash and publicly traded securities.

Back in 2008-2009, when I was living in my car in the wake of Chapter 7 bankruptcy, there's no way I would have ever imagined I'd recover. But, here we are.

Fair winds & following seas. :sharebeer
That is an awesome recovery post!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
7th_Diagram

Post by 7th_Diagram »

Times are hard for many people in this country, so I feel fortunate to have recently crossed the $100k mark in my retirement accounts.

2020-Jun: $100K
2015-Nov: ...$0K
"You have to understand, most people are not ready to be unplugged,and many of them are so injured, so hopelessly dependent upon the system, that they will fight to protect it." | ~Morpheus
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

7th_Diagram wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 am Times are hard for many people in this country, so I feel fortunate to have recently crossed the $100k mark in my retirement accounts.

Congratulations! Stay the course.

Cheers
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

7th_Diagram wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 am Times are hard for many people in this country, so I feel fortunate to have recently crossed the $100k mark in my retirement accounts.

Congratulations :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Tortoise Banker

Post by Tortoise Banker »

I joined this community in Oct. 2009. I had just turned 21, recovered from a battle with cancer, and graduated college. My initial move was to open an IRA, and after many days of researching, I was introduced to this forum. I may not post a lot, but in times of market uncertainty--my first reaction is to come here and listen to Taylor, Livesoft, and others share their "stay the course" wisdom.

This morning, our net worth eclipsed $1,000,000 for the first time.

I am tremendously grateful for the cumulative knowledge and caring community this forum has provided me on this journey.

TB
The winning strategy is simple, but not easy...
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

I officially have 100k in my 401k and HSA accounts combined as of close of market yesterday (will drop back down today it seems). Im a bit later than many on here (I'm 35) and I had 0 in retirement 3.5 years ago. A combination of not prioritizing savings and grad school got me here, but I'm well on my way. I should have my student loans paid off at the end of this year. I started with 150k 4 years ago and am on track to pay off 78.5k of principal this year thanks to Covid and not being able to travel.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Aku09 - Congrats! :beer

Take a look at the post right before yours. Tortoise Banker has hit a larger milestone (also, Congrats!) but is 10 years ahead of you. This is a very different situation, but you can see that hitting these larger milestones can indeed happen if you stick to your plan.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Our home is paid off.

We didn't request a payoff quote, but online account showed the loan as paid off with a balance of 0. A customer service rep confirmed that the loan balance was so low (<1k), the mortgage servicer used the escrow funds to pay it off. A nice congratulatory letter & check for remainder escrow funds are on their way to us. It will feel more real when they arrive.

Given the covid situation, we celebrated by getting our favourite Jamaican jerk takeout.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats! :beer

Be sure this is a letter that releases you from the mortgage (paid in full), a.k.a. mortgage satisfaction letter. When you get that, call your insurance company and remove the mortgage company from the homeowners policy.

You want to change the loss payee from the mortgage company to you.

It will feel even more real when the end of the month comes and nothing is paid to the mortgage company.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

kacang wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:53 pm Our home is paid off.

We didn't request a payoff quote, but online account showed the loan as paid off with a balance of 0. A customer service rep confirmed that the loan balance was so low (<1k), the mortgage servicer used the escrow funds to pay it off. A nice congratulatory letter & check for remainder escrow funds are on their way to us. It will feel more real when they arrive.
Congratulations :D .
kacang wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:53 pmGiven the covid situation, we celebrated by getting our favourite Jamaican jerk takeout.
That's a bit ambiguous.
kacang

Post by kacang »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:40 pm Congrats! :beer

Be sure this is a letter that releases you from the mortgage (paid in full), a.k.a. mortgage satisfaction letter. When you get that, call your insurance company and remove the mortgage company from the homeowners policy.

It will feel even more real when the end of the month comes and nothing is paid to the mortgage company.
Thanks for the tips, will do that.
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:19 pm That's a bit ambiguous.

If we could do dine-in, we would have splurged on a kaiseki dinner. Since that's not possible, we got takeout from a little Jamaican place that makes the best jerk meat I've ever tasted :happy
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Tortoise Banker wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:21 pm I joined this community in Oct. 2009. I had just turned 21, recovered from a battle with cancer, and graduated college. My initial move was to open an IRA, and after many days of researching, I was introduced to this forum. I may not post a lot, but in times of market uncertainty--my first reaction is to come here and listen to Taylor, Livesoft, and others share their "stay the course" wisdom.

This morning, our net worth eclipsed $1,000,000 for the first time.

I am tremendously grateful for the cumulative knowledge and caring community this forum has provided me on this journey.

TB
Congratulations, that is phenomenal. The community has been greatly helpful to both us, be sure to pass it along to others.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Hit 2M excluding home and 529s this weekend. Celebrated with some Taco Bell (the new grilled cheese burrito is pretty good) and am considering shifting from the current 65/35 to 60/40 around end of year. I am a slow decision-maker about stuff like this, but that's okay. Thank you Bogleheads for inspiring me to simplify!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

GuySmiley wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:41 pm Hit 2M excluding home and 529s this weekend. Celebrated with some Taco Bell (the new grilled cheese burrito is pretty good) and am considering shifting from the current 65/35 to 60/40 around end of year. I am a slow decision-maker about stuff like this, but that's okay. Thank you Bogleheads for inspiring me to simplify!
Congratulations! What a wonderful milestone!

Still can’t believe the Nobel prize committee snubbed the inventor of the Taco Bell Doritos Taco.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

kacang wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Congrats! One more tidbit - in addition to the letter from the mortgage company, make sure that county clerk has marked in the record books that the mortgage has been paid in full and the lien has been released on your property.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
kacang

Post by kacang »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:16 pm
kacang wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Congrats! One more tidbit - in addition to the letter from the mortgage company, make sure that county clerk has marked in the record books that the mortgage has been paid in full and the lien has been released on your property.
Thanks, will do!
OCWhale

Post by OCWhale »

Kind of a small milestone, but I made a goal earlier this year to really get my budget tight to focus on growing my savings/retirement funds.

This marks the third month in a row that I've been able to live off of 50% of my take home (i.e. saving 50%)! I'm at $230K net worth today and hoping to hit $300K within the next two years when I turn 30!
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

OCWhale wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm Kind of a small milestone, but I made a goal earlier this year to really get my budget tight to focus on growing my savings/retirement funds.

This marks the third month in a row that I've been able to live off of 50% of my take home (i.e. saving 50%)! I'm at $230K net worth today and hoping to hit $300K within the next two years when I turn 30!
Congratulations. 50% of take home is an amazing feat. Do this for a few years and you won't have to worry about money. Make sure you keep enjoying the life you are currently living as well.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

OCWhale wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm Kind of a small milestone, but I made a goal earlier this year to really get my budget tight to focus on growing my savings/retirement funds.

Congratulations :D , saving 50% of take home is an awesome achievement.