Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
legio XX

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by legio XX »

DocSleepy72 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:04 pm My wife and I have accumulated enough wealth that I felt mostly comfortable signing up for a monthly membership at the local car wash today (basic carwash only). :D
OK, this is modest enough that I was inspired to think over 2018. Will probably never see two commas - my number is half that if only because I might actually see it - but in 2018 I was secure enough to make more donations than I ever made before. Most were political so I can't specify, but the checks to food pantries and arts organizations also increased and multiplied. Irrational exuberance? Maybe, but something made me feel like I could spare a few bucks. Small change overall, but more than 100% increase from earlier years.

Milestone.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Just hit $500K in net worth at age 36.

My wife’s gargantuan student loan is what’s holding us back, though we’re on track to have it 100% forgiven, tax-free, in four more years. I’m hopeful that’ll put us well over the $1MM mark before age 41.
pharmermummles

Post by pharmermummles »

Just turned 28, and just updated my financial spreadsheet as I do at the end of each month. For the first time ever (as an adult) I have a positive net worth. Still have a long way to go with the mortgage and student loans, but my retirement saving has been aggressive. Here's to hoping it stays that way for good. :beer
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

:sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer
WOOO-HOOOO to All the Bogleheads posting Milestones.

Milestones are important (although, like goalposts, although once they are reached, they get moved a bit!---a subject for another thread).

Twenty years ago, reading a financial planning book, I decided to write myself a check for the inconceivable amount of a million dollars. At the time, that seemed like the amount of money I would need to live a carefree life. I looked at it, tore it up and wrote a larger check, deciding that I should think bigger. Dare more. I put that check away in a planning notebook.

Along with my other (frankly more important) life goals, in terms of my financial life, I continued to: Earn, save, invest, repeat.
It really helped when, along the way, I found a wonderful SO who is also frugal.

Then last year, I came upon that old check----and, yep, we had just hit it, right on the nose. I was astounded!

Our milestones in the past two years:
1. We made our big number. Eureka!
2. We contributed 50K to our Vanguard Donor Advised Fund.
3. I'm retiring in December.

I am so grateful to all of my "teachers"----chief among them, John Bogle.
And I am so grateful to all the Bogleheads I read for years before finally signing up on the forum to participate.

Congrats to all on the wonderful milestones. I've so enjoyed reading this thread and (virtually) celebrating everyone's successes. :sharebeer
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

GuySmiley wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:56 am I achieved a very minor milestone last night -- I created a spreadsheet and figured out my AA across 7 accounts including equity/bond and US/intl equities. Now that I know it, I can work toward adjustments and proper tax-efficient placement, which I plan to do after the new year. :sharebeer
While it may seem very minor, this is a critical step / milestone indeed! :beer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

crossroad101 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 am Thanks to the advice and inputs from BH members funded VG 3 fund in taxable middle of this year (the blip).

Mostly still single stock and trying to wind down for home purchase. Was hoping to post 400k milestone, perhaps next year.

Completed grad school in 2011 and worth -20k or so to begin with.
How do you account for that downward spike below $350K if I may ask? And the immediate recovery?
falconsfan

Post by falconsfan »

Wife and I are retiring Friday the 15th! Me after 37 years with the same company. At 60 and 58 we plan to travel and enjoy our grandchildren. No debt for the last 10 years. You can do it............
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Congrats! Considering posting in the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019! and join the party. 🎉
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

falconsfan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:00 pm Wife and I are retiring Friday the 15th! Me after 37 years with the same company. At 60 and 58 we plan to travel and enjoy our grandchildren. No debt for the last 10 years. You can do it............
Congratulations!

Cheers
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

falconsfan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:00 pm Wife and I are retiring Friday the 15th! Me after 37 years with the same company. At 60 and 58 we plan to travel and enjoy our grandchildren. No debt for the last 10 years. You can do it............
Congratulations on your retirement :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

Well done sir :sharebeer enjoy your well deserved retirement :beer
patrick

Post by patrick »

Finally joined the 2 comma club ... measured in Euros :happy
crossroad101

Post by crossroad101 »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am
crossroad101 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 am Thanks to the advice and inputs from BH members funded VG 3 fund in taxable middle of this year (the blip).

Mostly still single stock and trying to wind down for home purchase. Was hoping to post 400k milestone, perhaps next year.

Completed grad school in 2011 and worth -20k or so to begin with.
How do you account for that downward spike below $350K if I may ask? And the immediate recovery?
Apologies for my late notice.

Indeed the spike was when I sold stock to open 3 fund with VG.

It has been rather bumpy ever since. Late last week I sold some more stock as we are getting ready for house down payment this week. Hence additional spikes in the end.

beyou

Post by beyou »

So many at hand and near.

Last tuition paid for eldest, getting his 2nd degree from an Ivy. Last for younger child coming this year too.

401k hit 500k.
Overall invesment assets nearing a significant milestone this year...

Lots to be happy about, as I contemplate FIRE.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

beyou wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 pm So many at hand and near.

Last tuition paid for eldest, getting his 2nd degree from an Ivy. Last for younger child coming this year too.

401k hit 500k.

Congratulations on the last tuition payments :) .

I remember the end of college expenses so well, it felt as if I had received an enormous pay raise :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

A few months ago we paid off a lot of debt: Heloc, car, tractor. Now we are saving >50% of take home pay to build large (1-2yrs expenses) emergency fund to make the p$ychologial $tre$$ of retirement easier for one of us.

We have also come around a bit on the idea of delaying SS, something that we were not planning on. It is interesting that the older we get the more we accept the wisdom of elders on BH.
Pale Blue Dot
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

beyou wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 pm So many at hand and near.

401k hit 500k.

Congrats! Here's to the eldest getting employment post this semester.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
JTColton

Post by JTColton »

Not mine per se, but after wasting 17 earning years not saving for retirement Ive been trying to mentor the guys that work for me to save for the future. Not easy to convince young 20-somethings to not spend but got 3 of them signed up for Vanguard Roth IRAs and they maxed contributions into Target Date funds.

One look at a 40 year CAGR calculator was all it took :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Kudos for your efforts. :beer

You can also show them this wiki page: Importance of saving early
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ze233

Post by ze233 »

My wife and I just hit 2 commas for our combined investments + cash assets as of close of business yesterday. We had hit 2 commas in networth a couple of years ago, but that included our home equity.

However the 2 commas in just investments and cash has been a goal of mine to reach before turning 40 since I graduated college and started working.
I'm happy to say we reached it a few months before I turn 36.

I can't tell anyone else except my wife, but I'm glad to be able to share it with the Boglehead community.
Thanks for everyone for all the excellent advice and inspiration and motivation to stay the course and make this goal a reality. :beer

Now I suppose I need to figure out the next age goal, and target number.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ze233 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:55 pm My wife and I just hit 2 commas for our combined investments + cash assets as of close of business yesterday. We had hit 2 commas in networth a couple of years ago, but that included our home equity.

However the 2 commas in just investments and cash has been a goal of mine to reach before turning 40 since I graduated college and started working.

I can't tell anyone else except my wife, but I'm glad to be able to share it with the Boglehead community.
Thanks for everyone for all the excellent advice and inspiration and motivation to stay the course and make this goal a reality. :beer

Congrats! Remember that milestones are just arbitrary numbers. If what you have now is working, don't change it to reach a "new number".

Pick one that feels comfortable. If you reach it early, that's great. If not, just change the number. :)
student

Post by student »

ze233 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:55 pm My wife and I just hit 2 commas for our combined investments + cash assets as of close of business yesterday. We had hit 2 commas in networth a couple of years ago, but that included our home equity.

Congratulations...
ze233

Post by ze233 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:07 am

Congrats! Remember that milestones are just arbitrary numbers. If what you have now is working, don't change it to reach a "new number".

Pick one that feels comfortable. If you reach it early, that's great. If not, just change the number. :)
Thank you. That is a good reminder. We're going to keep on the path we are on.

Another thread on here recently reminded me that ageism is real in my industry, so my next goal is to have enough to retire comfortably when I'm 50, in case I'm let go.
I believe if we keep on our current path, this will be very obtainable.
packet

Post by packet »

Congratulations to all the previous milestone posters.

Finally, we get to post in here too!

We've been flirting with the 2 comma club for a while now, the recent dip not withstanding. This morning, for no particular reason, I realized that we were already there. The number I fixate on in our tracking spreadsheet does not include all of our contingency funds (only the invested tiers, not the cash accounts).

So, there it is... doesn't feel much different than yesterday. I txt'd my loving wife with the news/realization... got a couple happy gifs in reply, but it's mostly just a shrug by both of us. No retirement party just yet. Not that it really matters, but this is our nest egg number, not net worth (we don't track net worth, don't really care about that).

:beer Cheers,
packet

[Edit] PS, 3 weeks later now... our nest egg number just grew a second comma. Looks pretty cool.
Last edited by packet on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
First round’s on me.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Taxable investment account hit $2,500,000 last night.

Started investing in a taxable account on November 1, 2007, with $40,000 that I had saved up and finally got up enough courage to put into the market.

Bought Vanguard's Balanced Index Fund and Vanguard's Total International Stock Index Fund with the money. A few months later, I posted a portfolio review and based on the advice of Taylor Larimore, retiredjg, and a few others, I got out of the Balanced Fund and made my overall investment portfolio more tax efficient. I'm sure that I've saved quite a bit of money thanks to them.

I feel like my wife and I have climbed a mountain and that we can finally feel somewhat secure.
student

Post by student »

packet wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 am Congratulations to all the previous milestone posters.

We've been flirting with the 2 comma club for a while now, the recent dip not withstanding. This morning, for no particular reason, I realized that we were already there. The number I fixate on in our tracking spreadsheet does not include all of our contingency funds (only the invested tiers, not the cash accounts).

So, there it is... doesn't feel much different than yesterday. I txt'd my loving wife with the news/realization... got a couple happy gifs in reply, but it's mostly just a shrug by both of us. No retirement party just yet. Not that it really matters, but this is our nest egg number, not net worth (we don't track net worth, don't really care about that).

packet
Congratulations.
student

Post by student »

Random Poster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 am Taxable investment account hit $2,500,000 last night.

Started investing in a taxable account on November 1, 2007, with $40,000 that I had saved up and finally got up enough courage to put into the market.

Bought Vanguard's Balanced Index Fund and Vanguard's Total International Stock Index Fund with the money. A few months later, I posted a portfolio review and based on the advice of Taylor Larimore, retiredjg, and a few others, I got out of the Balanced Fund and made my overall investment portfolio more tax efficient. I'm sure that I've saved quite a bit of money thanks to them.

I feel like my wife and I have climbed a mountain and that we can finally feel somewhat secure.
Congratulations.
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie »

Random Poster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 am Taxable investment account hit $2,500,000 last night.

Congrats Random Poster :sharebeer That's awesome ! can you tell us what funds you have in your taxable account ? It would be of great value to us newbies .. Thanks !
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Investing.Newbie wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:01 amcan you tell us what funds you have in your taxable account ? It would be of great value to us newbies .. Thanks !
Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund, Total International Stock Index Fund, and Intermediate-Term Tax Exempt Fund.

For whatever it is worth, the IRAs only have Vanguard's Total Bond Market Index Fund in them. The 401k at Fidelity has Fidelity's bond index fund.

I admit that I am a fan of Taylor Larimore's 3-Fund portfolio and admonishment to keep things simple.
ze233

Post by ze233 »

packet wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 am Congratulations to all the previous milestone posters.

packet
Congratulations. :beer I got the same reaction from my wife. A good reminder that marrying the right person helps in achieving this milestone.
ze233

Post by ze233 »

Congratulations.
MotoTrojan

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by MotoTrojan »

[Posts moved into here, see below --admin LadyGeek]

Hit $100K today for the first time!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

MotoTrojan wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:17 am Hit $100K today for the first time!
That's a big milestone! Congrats. :sharebeer

Now add a zero to it. :wink:
The Sensible Steward
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Congratulations!!
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :) .
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 am
That's a big milestone! Congrats. :sharebeer

Now add a zero to it. :wink:
2 more is more like it! Looking good to be a paper millionaire this year but with private company monopoly money.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Sweet!!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged MotoTrojan's posts into the on-going discussion, which is for members to announce their achievements.

Congrats! :beer
miamivice

Reached the third milestone of the 2 comma club

Post by miamivice »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Tonight, I was crunching the numbers and realized that we have finally reached the third milestone of the 2 comma club ($2 million net worth including home equity). We're 39 years old.

Looking back, we've come a long ways. First started keeping track shortly after getting married, about a year out of college. My spreadsheet shows that we had $57,000 to our name back then. This was 14 years ago. We've been on a steep and continual climb since then.

As a walk back through memory lane, most of our assets have come through heavy savings. Stock market appreciation has had a big impact to it as well. We also have had a couple of victories with housing appreciation, but nothing else.

Happy about the milestone, but hope that things continue to go well for us. On another thread, I noted my wife would like to upgrade her wedding band - I bought her a $245 ring from Costco for our marriage, since money was tighter then. She'd like a $800 or so ring as an upgrade and maybe that's not a bad idea.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Reached the third milestone of the 2 comma club

Post by Sandtrap »

miamivice wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:15 pm Tonight, I was crunching the numbers and realized that we have finally reached the third milestone of the 2 comma club ($2 million net worth including home equity). We're 39 years old.

Looking back, we've come a long ways. First started keeping track shortly after getting married, about a year out of college. My spreadsheet shows that we had $57,000 to our name back then. This was 14 years ago. We've been on a steep and continual climb since then.

As a walk back through memory lane, most of our assets have come through heavy savings. Stock market appreciation has had a big impact to it as well. We also have had a couple of victories with housing appreciation, but nothing else.

Happy about the milestone, but hope that things continue to go well for us. On another thread, I noted my wife would like to upgrade her wedding band - I bought her a $245 ring from Costco for our marriage, since money was tighter then. She'd like a $800 or so ring as an upgrade and maybe that's not a bad idea.
:sharebeer
Congratulations!!

Next step. Do not include home equity.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ColoradoNewBiker

Post by ColoradoNewBiker »

Congratulations! Just curious, why is it "third" milestone? I thought it's the second in 2 comma's?
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

ColoradoNewBiker wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:28 pm Congratulations! Just curious, why is it "third" milestone? I thought it's the second in 2 comma's?
First milestone is $1 million including home equity.
Second milestone is $1 million excluding home equity
Third milestone is $2 million including home equity
Fourth milestone is $2 million excluding home equity.

Some equate the fourth milestone with retirement / FIRE.

(I am sure there are other variations. This is the variation I am using for this thread. )
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged miamivice's thread into the "official" bragging rights thread. Brag away.

Congrats! :D
student

Post by student »

MotoTrojan wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:17 am [Posts moved into here, see below --admin LadyGeek]

Hit $100K today for the first time!
Congratulations.
student

Post by student »

miamivice wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:15 pm [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Tonight, I was crunching the numbers and realized that we have finally reached the third milestone of the 2 comma club ($2 million net worth including home equity). We're 39 years old.

Congratulations.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

miamivice wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:29 pm
ColoradoNewBiker wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:28 pm Congratulations! Just curious, why is it "third" milestone? I thought it's the second in 2 comma's?

(I am sure there are other variations. This is the variation I am using for this thread. )
Whatever the label, congratulations :D
ColoradoNewBiker

Post by ColoradoNewBiker »

Thanks for clarifying! Congrats again!
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Congrats!
These are common milestones for a lot of salaried people here.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I really like the posts from those who are hitting major goals. It reinforces what most all of us believe.

However, don't ever forget what the market gives, the market can, and probably will, take some back.

I have been Flagship three times, I hope I will stay this time!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Finally got to having 1x income saved for retirement (again)! I actually hit 1x income on August 1st when I had $65k saved vs $63.5k income. But then the market later dropped at about the same time that I got a significant raise, so I fell back under 1x. But as of March 1, I've got $76k saved vs $75k income.

Also, I finally have a net worth that is higher than the number of miles on my car - $197k vs 190k miles. My wife's car, with 202,000 miles, is still winning, but not for long!